PDA

View Full Version : So who likes sculpture?

Bhu
2011-10-19, 11:11 PM
http://gronquistevolution.blogspot.com/

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-20, 11:26 PM
Total brainfart on my part. I read this as "Who likes Scripture?" for some reason.

Bhu
2011-10-21, 03:34 AM
maybe thats why i got less replies, lol

Gator
2011-10-21, 06:28 AM
I like Scripture! Oh, wait...

ric0
2011-10-21, 10:30 AM
art must be very subjective, as i cant see art in any of these sculptures.....................

Nix Nihila
2011-10-21, 12:26 PM
art must be very subjective, as i cant see art in any of these sculptures.....................

How exactly are they not art?

They intrigue me, and I did find the one with the chanel logo to be amusing, although they certainly are not my favorite.

Haruki-kun
2011-10-21, 12:29 PM

This is pure art. :smallconfused: Even if we don't get too far into the definition of art, sculpture is an art by definition.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-21, 12:53 PM
I down with sculpture (and scripture too for that matter)

I'm not so down with taxidermy and tacky bling-bling jewelry though.

Scarlet Knight
2011-10-21, 01:56 PM
Is it art or decoration?

Either way, if there is an animal afterlife , that sculptor if going to be haunted...

ric0
2011-10-22, 12:56 PM
This is pure art. :smallconfused: Even if we don't get too far into the definition of art, sculpture is an art by definition.

im not really arguing about sculpture being art, im saying i personally don't find anything artistic about the things he made, personal choice i suppose

Nix Nihila
2011-10-22, 03:54 PM
im not really arguing about sculpture being art, im saying i personally don't find anything artistic about the things he made, personal choice i suppose

Whether it's beautiful or not is one thing, whether or not it's art is another.

Icewalker
2011-10-23, 04:43 AM
What a very, very odd style. I mean, I don't think I'd ever want it in my house, but I still kind of love it. Just...weird and unique and it works. There's even some solid metaphorical meaning behind his main trend: the antlers are the weapons of the animal world.

Also, that one in silver, with the ship, is especially fantastic.

Serpentine
2011-10-23, 08:47 AM
I saw those things the other day, and I love it! :smallbiggrin: Especially the one with the silver ship, the zebra unicorn and the bunnicorns (though the Hello Kitty Hand Grenades have their charm, too).
So they are real animals, then? That's pretty great taxidermy, too, then.

im not really arguing about sculpture being art, im saying i personally don't find anything artistic about the things he made, personal choice i supposeIf Pissed Christ is art, then those certainly are. Not that I think the comparison is necessary, because I think they're incredibly artistic, and what's more demonstrate a great deal of skill and aesthetic knowledge.

Knaight
2011-10-24, 04:38 AM
If Pissed Christ is art, then those certainly are. Not that I think the comparison is necessary, because I think they're incredibly artistic, and what's more demonstrate a great deal of skill and aesthetic knowledge.

I'd call these art, period. They are clearly made with quality craftsmanship, they clearly have the ability to provoke emotional responses, and there are at the very least motifs running through them. I don't personally like them all that much*, but can certainly admire the work.

*Except for the ship.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-24, 04:50 AM
The reasonably level of skill makes me sad because if you are going to work in precious metals why on earth would you use it to make... rabbit unicorns and gun buffaloes?

Knaight
2011-10-24, 08:51 AM
The reasonably level of skill makes me sad because if you are going to work in precious metals why on earth would you use it to make... rabbit unicorns and gun buffaloes?

Honestly, compared to largely meaningless mass produced jewelery, this is an improvement. These things can provoke conversations, these things are memorable, so on and so forth. The vast majority of short cylinders which may or may not have some sort of precious gem placed on them somewhere aren't nearly as capable of doing that.