PDA

View Full Version : "Pom Poko Pom no Pom!" [Race]

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-20, 01:05 AM
Raccoonfolk

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/The_Logos/Tanuki.jpg

Raccoonfolk, or the Seiji Kodomo to those who recognize their heritage, are the mortal descendants of a great and powerful Tanuki Sage God. Though long divested from the vast breadth of their supernatural legacy they are still a mysterious and potent race who partake more readily to the world of night and shadows than the sun filled paths of the other mortal races.

The Racoonfolk are a sexually dimorphic race with the males being larger and stronger and the women being smaller but of the more bright and perceptive sort. As a result the society of the Racoonfolk is matriarchal in organization (though it is far different from the almost drastic caricature that is the likes of the Drow and similar races).

Personality: Raccoonfolk are a jovial, easy going people who have a penchant for the lighter side of common vices. They tend to give off the appearance of being nothing more than shiftless lay-a-bouts who do nothing but party but this is but a crass oversight of their loyal and hard working natures and a case of their innate joy and need to celebrate even small occasions being blown into parody. Raccoonfolk try to make friends out of all those they meet and are a very open minded people.

Physical Description: Raccoonfolk are thick and stocky in terms of body build, having a strong core that can end up hidden under deceiving layers of fat. Males stand somewhere between a dwarf and a human, not being too short but not exceptionally tall either. Females stand somewhere between a dwarf and a halfling. Their bodies are covered in a thick coating of soft, durable hair that can range in shades of browns and blacks (though the rare case of reds or grays are not unheard of) and their eyes can be nearly any color. The Racoonfolk otherwise appear exactly how anthropomorphic raccoon dogs would appear.

Alignment: Raccoonfolk, being descended from the world of Fae, naturally gravitate towards a Chaotic slant. Being possessed of a good and easy going nature they also lean more towards the Good alignment.

Although Raccoonfolk are most commonly Chaotic Good it is not unheard of or necessarily completely uncommon for them to be of other alignments (but they always possess Chaotic and Good leanings regardless of actual alignment).

Religion: Being descended from a deity (and knowing full well that they truly are) means that a Raccoonfolk rarely has the common relationship most races have with gods. They are more likely to treat deities as a younger family member treats their senior from another branch or how a gang member or criminal may treat some one favorably above them in the organization. Raccoonfolk, when associating with gods, are most likely to draw power and gain favor from those who hold similar ideals to them such as Dionysus, Lliira, Olidammara and Olladra.

Raccoonfolk lands: Raccoonfolk communities are found deep in primal woods, on the outskirts of where the realms of fey and realms of mortals cross. It is living in proximity to these dimensional wild areas where sunlight may never reach that lead to the fact that Raccoonfolk are as mysterious as they are. Raccoonfolk aren't connected as a whole, being insular matriarchal, almost tribal, societies that have little interest in the outside world except for trade and when evil is on the march.

Relations: Raccoonfolk get along well with Gnomes, Halflings and Humans, finding in all three races kindred spirits. They always try to bring a smile and a laugh to the faces of Dwarves, Elves and Half-Orcs but the three races tend to view Raccoonfolk as comical annoyances at best.

Language: Raccoonfolk speak a language they call Pom-Poko, a combination of barks, yelps and the drumming of their stomachs.

Names: Raccoonfolk only possess personal names and denote themselves as individuals by either memorizing or keeping a scroll of their ancestry that leads directly back to the original Sage God. Each gender only follows the line of succession of their parent of the same gender and only ever gives their full family heritage if pressed by tradition (Raccoonfolk of both genders are renowned for being to off-put and lazy in regard to giving such a long winded account).

Adventurers: Raccoonfolk adventurers are so common that few individuals rarely spend no time in the world outside their homes. Young Raccoonfolk are brash and headstrong, wanting to prove their mettle to their friends and elders. Many go out to impress an individual they wish to court or to come back as some grand hero with tales that would spurn countless parties in celebration. But unlike many, Raccoonfolk adventures tend to retire early. They view something as simple as spending a month on a human farm and scaring off wolves attacking the cattle or visiting a major city and helping to catch a thief in the same light that some would view discovering a lost city or slaying a dragon.

MALE RACCOONFOLK
Humanoid (Raccoonfolk)
+2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +6 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma: Male Raccoonfolk are strong, tough and personable but are clumsy and slow-witted.
Medium: Male Raccoonfolk are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Male Raccoonfolk have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Male Raccoonfolk can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Absentminded Guard: Male Racconfolk receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception and Perform skill checks because of their position as community muscle and their fondness to party.
Fey Blood: Male Raccoonfolk count as Fey for any effect related to race.
Light Sensitivity: Being descended from fey of darkness, or "yokai", Male Raccoonfolk don't react entirely positively to sunlight. Male Raccoonfolk are dazzled as long as they're in areas of bright light.
Spell Resistance: Male Raccoonfolk natural magicks have reversed themselves, granting them a natural resistance to magic. Male Raccoonfolk have Spell Resistance equal to 11+ their Hit Dice.
Languages: Male Raccoonfolk begin play knowing Common and Pom-Poko. Male Raccoonfolk with high intelligence scores may choose from the following: Aklo, Elven, Halfling, Giant, Gnomish, Goblinoid and Sylvan

FEMALE RACCOONFOLK
Humanoid (Raccoonfolk)
-2 Strength, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Female Raccoonfolk are crafty, wise and personable but are physical weak.
Small: Female Raccoonfolk are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB) and Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD), and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Normal Speed: Female Raccoonfolk have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Female Raccoonfolk can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Fey Blood: Female Raccoonfolk count as Fey for any effect related to race.
Light Sensitivity: Being descended from fey of darkness, or "yokai", Female Raccoonfolk don't react entirely positively to sunlight. Male Raccoonfolk are dazzled as long as they're in areas of bright light.
Spell Resistance: Female Raccoonfolk natural magicks have reversed themselves, granting them a natural resistance to magic. Female Raccoonfolk have Spell Resistance equal to 11+ their Hit Dice.
Languages: Female Raccoonfolk begin play knowing Common and Pom-Poko. Male Raccoonfolk with high intelligence scores may choose from the following: Aklo, Elven, Halfling, Giant, Gnomish, Goblinoid and Sylvan

{table=head]Adulthood|Middle Age|Old|Venerable|Maximum Age

13|
225|
450|
900|900+5d20 years
[/table]

Random Height and Weight
{table=head]Gender|Base Height|Base Weight|Modifier|Weight Multiplier

Male|
4 ft. 3 in.|
135 lbs.|
2d8|
x6 lbs.
Female|
3 ft. 1 in.|
72 lbs.|
2d4|
x4 lbs.
[/table]

NOTE: Raccoonfolk are an Advance Base race per the rules of Pathfinder's Advanced Race Guide playtest. They are a 20 race point race and as such are on par with the Bugbear cost wise and should be treated as such when seeing play. If being converted back into 3.5 they should be given racial hit dice and a level adjustment on par with what a reverted Pathfinder Bugbear receives.

If you wish to make Raccoonfolk more in line with other base races, use the following revisions:
Male: Drop the Constitution bonus from 6 to 4, drop the Charisma bonus from 2 to 0 and remove one of the skill bonuses.
Female: Drop the Wisdom Bonus from 4 to 2, Drop the Charisma bonus from 2 to 0 and remove one of the skill bonuses.

Change log
10/20/11 - Note regarding power level added.
Added further conversion note.

Comments
Well, here is my first race that I've ever homebrewed!

Recently I got my hands on the playtest for Pathfinder's Advanced Race guide and I found the concept of having defined rules as pretty interesting and something that would be fun for DMs and players alike. I've also been recently reading Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan and Tanuki play important roles in Volumes 4 and 5.

So the two ideas swirled together and originally I had planned to make a monster, statting up some form of "Noble Tanuki" but I decided I wanted to try something new and made this race. Both genders come out to 20 points each and puts them on par with how the playtest statted up Bugbears (so you can use them as a point of reference if you wish). Oddly enough those they're cheaper than Drow Nobles, but folks think them as a base race is kind of borked.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-20, 01:07 AM
Reserved for later use.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-20, 01:08 AM
And finally done!

Welp, it's later so I need to be turning in. I'll check on in for replies in the morning.

Realms of Chaos
2011-10-20, 12:39 PM
Um... these things probably need level adjustment. The stat bonuses exceed the penalties with a net gain of +6 for both males and females and they get decent spell resistance. That, by itself, is probably worth level adjustment.

Wait, no, I just realized this is Pathfinder where the bestiaries don't list Level Adjustments for any race even though it does say that certain races should basically have a +1 LA without saying which ones (unless I've been missing something). This is probably one of those more advanced races and so some sort of note on that topic might still be useful, though.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-20, 02:48 PM
Wait, no, I just realized this is Pathfinder where the bestiaries don't list Level Adjustments for any race even though it does say that certain races should basically have a +1 LA without saying which ones (unless I've been missing something). This is probably one of those more advanced races and so some sort of note on that topic might still be useful, though.

I did make a note on it in the comments section, but I'll add something outside of it.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-20, 02:53 PM
Note added.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-20, 10:18 PM
Added notes on making Raccoonfolk a 10 point base race (like all the others).