PDA

View Full Version : nearly useless optimization

kulosle
2011-10-20, 07:02 PM
so in a homebrew system i recently acquired (not willingly) a trait that makes it so i can't buy any endowment (ability) that my GM can think of a combat use for within 10 seconds. but i can buy all other abilities at half the price. currently my character has: 1 point power pool (he has all one point powers, ex: prestidigitation), useless prophet ( i can predict things that are always accurate but never plot or combat relevant), improvised use (i can't use anything for its intended purpose but i'm really good at using them improvised), everyone always underestimates him, and an endless supply of all 1 dollar items.

now that i have these two limitations on me (no combat use or proper use) i'm finding it difficult to think of what next two buy. any ideas off how to continue on with the feel of my street magician without becoming useless in battle?

bobthe6th
2011-10-20, 07:28 PM
Fire walking? Fire eating/breathing?

YouLostMe
2011-10-20, 09:38 PM
If you're not allowed to buy things that your DM can think of combat uses for in 10 seconds (fairly long time, IMO) then you will be useless in combat. It appears you all ready are, in fact. You can use one weak power once per day and cannot use a weapon properly.

Even at level 1, you will be destroyed. Get rid of that half-buy thing and get some combat-oriented endowments.

Lagren
2011-10-20, 10:24 PM
So essentially, you can't do anything involving hitting people but are very good at everything else?

Looks like it's time for you to become really good at talking and utilities then.

Get rediculously good at diplomacy. Talk everything out of your way.
Make rediculous amounts of money. Buy allies to shoot your enemies for you.
Get very good at climbing, sneaking, disarming traps, and forging documents. Destroy your enemies by sneaking into their camps and creating discord among their leaders.

Basically, you need to do thing subtly and roundabout rather than direct and nastily. It's safer for you anyway, right?

Amechra
2011-10-20, 10:49 PM
I suggest, if you can get it, "Everyone I can see is incapable of thinking violent or malicious thoughts." and "I have 360 degree vision."

Because those don't seem very useful in combat (no-one who you can see is capable of fighting, after all), until you realize that you can't see yourself.

Have your comrades purchase some form of invisibility. Laugh heartily, as you just bypassed your DM's silly restriction through the power of kicking people who can't effectively fight back.

For best effect, try to grab them in as low-key a manner as you can...

Edit: Everyone already underestimates you? Go in and kick them, then; they are more likely to laugh off your adorable kicking than to believe that pathetic little you are going to kill them.

kulosle
2011-10-21, 04:51 AM
You can use one weak power once per day and cannot use a weapon properly.

i can use all weak powers as much as i want but only one at a time is how the endowment works. and as far as weapons i can use a sword to deal nonlethal and have a bonus to doing so (instead of a penalty) and have it deal it regular damage. this is basically what i've been doing as i have a high bonus to hit.
and my character got cursed with pacifism, not my choice. i can't buy it off but i could get it removed in game, but currently that seems unlikely because we are on the run from the law. my choices are to not buy anything for a long time, by nothing but stats (very expensive) or make the best of it. we are in a fairly low fighting campaign anyways so i'm not too worried, but i don't want to lag behind all the same.