PDA

View Full Version : American Shonen Jump

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-21, 02:09 PM
So, I open up my email, and I find this:

Hey Subscriber!

You may have heard, but SHONEN JUMP is going from monthly and on paper to WEEKLY and DIGITAL starting in 2012. The new digital version of the magazine will be called Weekly SHONEN JUMP Alpha and the first issue goes on sale January 30, 2012.

As a subscriber to SHONEN JUMP magazine, YOU ARE ALREADY SET TO RECEIVE Weekly SHONEN JUMP Alpha FOR UP TO 1 YEAR AT NO ADDITIONAL FEE. Here’s what you will get:

New chapters every week of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Bakuman, Toriko, and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan just TWO WEEKS after they first appear in Japan!

Read Weekly SHONEN JUMP Alpha on your PC or Mac computer at vizmanga.com OR as an app on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad.

Up to one year’s worth of digital issues depending on your current subscription status.

Delivery of the monthly print magazine to your home until your current subscription ends or March 2012 (when the final issue of the print magazine arrives), whichever comes sooner

I think this is a very good change for the company, as it will discourage scanlations and will encourage a new, larger "white" market ... Just so long as the Tankobon stay in print.

Prime32
2011-10-21, 02:47 PM
I think this is a very good change for the company, as it will discourage scanlations and will encourage a new, larger "white" market ... Just so long as the Tankobon stay in print.And as long as you're in America.

13_CBS
2011-10-21, 03:50 PM
as it will discourage scanlations

I'm...not sure about that. For one thing, scanlations are much faster than "2 weeks after Japanese release"; AFAIK, scans for the really popular series (Naruto, Bleach, etc.) appear within a week of the Japanese raws becoming available. For another, scanlations are still free.

At best, I think the move towards making Jump a e-magazine will draw a small number of people away from scanlations (if nothing else, official adaptations will likely have better visual quality than amateur ones), but I'm uncertain about it convincing people to not read scans anymore--scans are free, and the difference in quality between official stuff and--let's face it, pirated--stuff is negligible.

(My Yu-Gi-Oh playing friends won't be happy about this; Shounen Jump is their main supply for getting relatively rare, expensive cards at a lower price. :smalltongue:)

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-21, 04:49 PM
I'm...not sure about that. For one thing, scanlations are much faster than "2 weeks after Japanese release"; AFAIK, scans for the really popular series (Naruto, Bleach, etc.) appear within a week of the Japanese raws becoming available. For another, scanlations are still free.

At best, I think the move towards making Jump a e-magazine will draw a small number of people away from scanlations (if nothing else, official adaptations will likely have better visual quality than amateur ones), but I'm uncertain about it convincing people to not read scans anymore--scans are free, and the difference in quality between official stuff and--let's face it, pirated--stuff is negligible.
I don't know. A large amount of people who buy Tankobon/Shonen Jump still read scanlations just because they're so far behind. 2 weeks ... Isn't really that much, and is a good enough reason to stop for the sort of aforementioned people.

(My Yu-Gi-Oh playing friends won't be happy about this; Shounen Jump is their main supply for getting relatively rare, expensive cards at a lower price. :smalltongue:)

People still play Yu-Gi-Oh? :smalltongue: *waves to Blue Ghost on the off chance he comes in here*

Illieas
2011-10-21, 05:39 PM
the problem is mostly because scantalation are free and fast. main series manga comes in the week of. in most cases somewhere between two to three days.

the people that read scantalation are very impatient people. for example via anime, one piece hour after episode aired in japan is the quickest turnaround possible. but that didn't stop people from hacking the servers to get 1 hour before showing in japan.

to get shonen jump you pay a subscription and have a lesser service of being later. the only thing you get from the subscription is better quality control. but for most a decent quality is fine. you need to provide better service some how. speed, accuracy, quantity, price are the factors. speed seems to be the major problem. followed quickly by price.

how to fix this
the scantalators have crowd scourcing. they have huge pool of people that will translate, white wash, and place text. this can't be beat and shouldn't be tried for that.

shonen jump has the advantage of corporate access. they should leverage this so they give their translators and artist more time to counter the scantalators speed. day of or day after speed

price
this has been a problem of video games music and movies.

you can anger your base by shutting down their sites.

or

you can give your site out for free and have online advertising cover the cost.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-21, 06:31 PM
You can give your site out for free and have online advertising cover the cost.

Covering your cost isn't the same as making a profit.

Lord Seth
2011-10-21, 09:33 PM
About time they did something like this. No idea why they're waiting 2 whole weeks, though...even if we add on a bit of time in order to achieve a professional translation, I have no idea why it would take more than 1 week to put it out. Actually, even 1 week seems like a little too much, as you'd think that a direct corporate line would allow them to get pages before they come out in order to translate them, so they could release them one or two days afterwards. But they shouldn't be going over a week.

Still, although I think they should be bringing them out faster and bringing our more titles, this is a step in the right direction, and I've been wondering for some time why they didn't do something like this.

price
this has been a problem of video games music and movies.

you can anger your base by shutting down their sites.Wait, what? How are the people who are pirating video games/music/movies their "base"? By definition, aren't those the people who aren't buying them anyway?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-21, 10:03 PM
Still, although I think they should be bringing them out faster and bringing our more titles, this is a step in the right direction, and I've been wondering for some time why they didn't do something like this.
Who knows? Maybe because their main audience is generally younger, and they were worried about being accessible?

*shrug*

As stated, as long as I Tankobon still exist as a print medium, I'm fine. Nothing beats the feeling of holding a comic in your hands.

Hmm. Maybe that's why.

Fiery Diamond
2011-10-24, 01:34 PM
2 weeks is still a MASSIVE improvement from what they currently have, though. Aren't they like, 6+ months behind?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-24, 08:33 PM
2 weeks is still a MASSIVE improvement from what they currently have, though. Aren't they like, 6+ months behind?

Errr. I don't read scans of BLEACH or 5Ds so no comment there. Naruto is ... somewhere in the war and One Piece just got past the time-skip. And Psyren is done in Japan.

So yeah. About 6 months.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-24, 08:37 PM
And as long as you're in America.

Bandit Keith, is that you?:smallwink:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-24, 11:57 PM
Bandit Keith, is that you?:smallwink:

I approve this message.