PDA

View Full Version : Wheeeeee!! [3.5 Base Class] PEACH

GFawkes
2011-10-21, 10:45 PM
This was an old idea I once posted here. I've since gotten better at DnD and have more of the books, so I decided to give this another whack. I'll be honest, the original version was just plain bad.

The Daredevil
I don't feel as if I'm living unless I'm killing myself. ~~ Russell Hoban

Daredevils live for the thrill of the moment. If they see a cliff, one of the top thoughts is "I wanna jump off that". However, they are not idiots. There is an upper limit to what they'll attempt.

(More fluff en route)

Abilities: Dexterity and Constitution are key abilities for the Daredevil. Dexterity helps to avoid taking damage from doing stunts, and Constitution is good for when you fail a Reflex Save. Charisma is also important, though only marginally so.
HD: d8
Alignment: Any, though Daredevils tend to be Chaotic
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Daredevils are proficient with all Simple Weapons, as well as all Light and One-Handed Martial Weapons. They are proficient with light armor, but not shields
Skills Points: 4 + INT Modifier per level
Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Jump, Perform, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Abilities
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Daredevil Ability, Impulsive, Sudden Strike +1d6
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Diehard, Flair
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Sudden Strike +2d6
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Daredevil Ability, Mettle
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Evasion
6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Sudden Strike +3d6, Acrobatic Charge
7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Erratic Mind
8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Daredevil Ability
9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Sudden Strike +4d6
10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Trap Sense +2
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|Improved Evasion
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|Daredevil Ability, Sudden Strike +5d6
13th|+13/+8|+3|+8|+4|Trap Sense +4
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|Reduced Fall
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+5|Sudden Strike +6d6
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Daredevil Ability, Trap Sense +6
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|There and Back
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Sudden Strike +7d6
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Trap Sense +8
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Daredevil Ability[/table]

Impulsive: Daredevils are quick to think. Starting at level 1, they gain a +4 on all initiative rolls. This stacks with the bonus given from Improved Initiative.

Sudden Strike: If a Daredevil can catch an opponent flat-footed, which isn't too hard at times, he does extra damage. This is identical to the Ninja ability of the same name, though it's usually a lot louder when performed.

Daredevil Ability: At the 1st level, the 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, a Daredevil gains an ability from the following list that he qualifies for.

He's OK:When taking damage not from an enemy, such as by falling or traps, a Daredevil can make a Fortitude Save after checking for total damage, DC= Damage taken. If successful, the Daredevil takes only one point of damage. If unsuccessful, the Daredevil takes the damage as normal.

Not Dead Yet: When at negative hitpoints, a Daredevil can act normally with no additional penalty. Must be at least level 4 to take this ability.

Reckless: The Daredevil doubles the effect from charging an enemy. This includes the AC penalty. This stacks with any similar ability.

Let's Do This: On the first round of combat, or even before combat begins (though it begins immediately after using this ability), a Daredevil can choose to act recklessly. The Daredevil lets out a battle cry, followed by charging into combat. Any creature that witnesses this and wasn't expecting it (through divination or somesuch) is fascinated for 1d6 rounds, though there is no second saving throw for hostility. If the Daredevil attacks a fascinated creature, that creature may then act normally. For 1d6+1 rounds, the Daredevil takes a -2 penalty to AC. Usable 2+(Constitution modifier) times per day. As this is a sound based ability, a Zone of Silence cancels it.

I Got an Idea: Before rolling for an attack, a Daredevil can act as if charging, even without moving the needed 10'. This ability does not work if the Daredevil is flat-footed, or otherwise denied his Dexterity bonus to AC.

What's The Worst That Could Happen: When a Daredevil willingly enters a hostile environment that it is possible to escape from (such as a burning building), he gains a morale bonus equal to his Constitution modifier for 1d8 + (Daredevil Level/2) rounds on all rolls. This effect immediately ends if the Daredevil leaves the environment by any means.

Against All Odds: When the DC a Daredevil needs to beat is greater than 25, he gets a +(Daredevil level/2) bonus on the roll.

Missed It By That Much: If the Daredevil takes damage that would lower him to 0 or fewer hitpoints in a single blow, he can make a Fortitude save (DC= damage taken) to have the attack lower him to 1 hitpoint. Cannot be used if the Daredevil has less than 10 hitpoints or is flat-footed. This ability can be used up to (Con Modifier+1) times per day. Must be at least 12th level to take this ability.

Diehard: At the second level, a Daredevil gains Diehard, as the feat of the same name, even if he doesn't meet the requirements.

Flair: Starting at 2nd level, a Daredevil can choose to use his ranks in Perform instead of Bluff to Feint in combat. When doing this, he applies his Perform modifier and his Dexterity bonus to the Feint check. The feint is still opposed by Sense Motive. This only works with "physical" Performances (dancing, slapstick comedy, possibly acting).

Mettle: Starting at 4th level, when a Daredevil makes a Fortitude Save or Will Save against an attack with a save of Fortitude Partial or Will Partial, it is instead negated entirely.

Evasion:When a Daredevil akes his saving throw against an attack that deals half damage on a successful Reflex Save, he instead takes no damage. This does not work if he is helpless or denied his Dexterity Bonus.

Leaping Charge: At 6th level, a Daredevil can charge over any terrain, as long as there is still somewhere for him to stand at the end of the charge. This requires a DC 15 + (1 for every 5 feet traveled horizontally) Jump check. If the check fails by 4 or less, the Daredevil still moves, but doesn't gain the benefits of charging. If the check fails by 5 or more, he lands prone at the target destination.

Erratic Mind: A Daredevil's mind is quite random at times. This grants several abilities:
A Daredevil gets a +4 bonus against mindreading effects
Any attempts to divine the Daredevil's actions take a -4 penalty
Whenever a Daredevil is affected by an enchantment spell he doesn't want to be affected by, he can try again 1 round later at the same DC to resist it.

Trap Sense: A daredevil of at least 10th level gains a bonus to AC against traps. This increases as he progresses in the class.

Improved Evasion: This ability works like evasion, except that on a failed save, a Daredevil instead takes half damage.

Reduced Fall: After falling enough times, a Daredevil has learned how to land. Whenever he takes falling damage, he treats the fall as if it were half as long.

There and Back: Having lived a life so close to death, it's no surprise that a Daredevil's death is close to life. A Daredevil of at least 17th level (before coming back) costs only half as much to bring back to life. Additionally, if the Daredevil can make a DC 30 Fortitude Save using his modifier from the instant before he died, he doesn't lose a level upon return. Even if he fails this check, he keeps this ability.

So there you have it, the Daredevil. I'm a little iffy on some of the abilities, and could definitely use more ideas for Daredevil Abilities. If you have any ideas, please post them below.

nonsi
2011-10-22, 01:26 AM
Nice inspiration, but the result is quite weak compared to the Rogue: less skill points, less class skills, inferior extra damage and no special abilities to match. Why doesn't it get Listen, btw?

My suggestions are as follows:

No reason why this guy shouldn't get full BAB (You have a slight BAB miscount, btw - starting at 9th level).

Flair is minor. Put it next to Diehard at 2nd level. Also, not all Perform branches are appropriate (comedy/mime/oratory/storytelling for instance).

This guy should be the epitome of alertness. Give it Uncanny Dodge at 7th.

If you remove Sudden Strike from 1st level and reduce 1d6 from the others, along with the proposed changes, this would balance the Daredevil nicely and make it less frontloaded.

Replace Trap Sense with some of the Swashbuckler's abilities (Acribatic Skill Mastery & Slippery mind seem more appropriate - the last one I'll leave for you to figure out).

Now you got a class that has any hope of being able to pull its weight around at the mid-high levels.

Other things that caught my eye.

"Let's Do This" describes a state of Fascinated. There's also no reason whatsoever for opponents to drop held items, so Fascinated seems a lot more appropriate.

"I Got an Idea" requires a better name.

"Missed It By That Much" needs #uses, otherwise it's just too damn good.

GFawkes
2011-10-22, 01:56 AM
Why doesn't it get Listen, btw?
Daredevils rarely listen to common sense. Why would it be a class skill:smalltongue:

My suggestions are as follows:

No reason why this guy shouldn't get full BAB (You have a slight BAB miscount, btw - starting at 9th level).

Thanks for catching that. Now that I think about it, full BAB does make sense.

Flair is minor. Put it next to Diehard at 2nd level. Also, not all Perform branches are appropriate (comedy/mime/oratory/storytelling for instance).

Noted and being fixed

This guy should be the epitome of alertness. Give it Uncanny Dodge at 7th.

I'll think about it. I may use a variation of Uncanny Dodge (at least fluff wise, maybe not mechanically)

If you remove Sudden Strike from 1st level and reduce 1d6 from the others, along with the proposed changes, this would balance the Daredevil nicely and make it less frontloaded.

Replace Trap Sense with some of the Swashbuckler's abilities (Acribatic Skill Mastery & Slippery mind seem more appropriate - the last one I'll leave for you to figure out).

I thought about this, and am still thinking on it

"Let's Do This" describes a state of Fascinated. There's also no reason whatsoever for opponents to drop held items, so Fascinated seems a lot more appropriate.

The inspiration for this ability was Leeroy. I didn't want fascinated, more of "Nobody should be that stupid" stunned. I'll explain that better in the text.

"I Got an Idea" requires a better name.

Any ideas?

"Missed It By That Much" needs #uses, otherwise it's just too damn good.
Noted.

On another note, I'm planning to get this playtested. Volunteers?

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-22, 10:22 PM
I love the idea, although I agree that it might need a little bit more. Sudden Strike (as an ability) isn't amazingly good, as it can't be activated by flanking. Given that this is his main offensive ability, perhaps give him an ability to catch foes flat-footed a few times a day?

It might also be fun to give him some kind of ridiculously enormous bonus on acrobatic skills, like Jump and Balance. I just had a player try jiriku's monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122), which has a similar effect, and she was literally bouncing off the walls before attacking and such.