PDA

View Full Version : Yet another blaster

dspeyer
2011-10-23, 08:23 PM
There seem to be a rush of blaster base classes lately. This one's been sitting in my notes, so I thought I'd post it.

levelbabfortrefwillspecialpower pointspowers learned
10002resistance 23Detect Psionics, Energy Ray
21003shape: bent9Control Flames, Mind Thrust
31113resistance 2/216Energy Missile
42114energy: light25Energy Push, Energy Stun
52114resistance 5/237Energy Cone
63225shape: convex subset52Energy Bolt, Energy Wall
73225resistance 5/569Energy Ball
84226energy: force87Weapon of Energy, Telekinetic Maneuver
94336resistance 5/5/5108Energy Current
105337shape: concave subset132Hail of Crystals, Energy Shield*
115337resistance 10/5/5159Breath of the Black Dragon
126448energy: piercing slashing or bludgeoning189Chain energy*, Disintegrate
136448resistance 10/10/5220Ultrablast
147449shape: holes255Energy Conversion, Energy Wave
157559resistance 10/10/10292Telekinetic Sphere
1685510energy: hellfire331Sunburst*, Energetic Cloud
1785510resistance 10/10/10/10375Tornado Blast
1896611shape: distorted420Meteor Swarm*, Reality Revision
1996611resistance Immunity/10/10/10466any
20106612energy: necrotic514any, any

Powers marked with a star are actually spells, but you use them as powers. For those renamed "energy", add the energy-change and augmentation language from energy ray.

HD: d4
Skills: 2+int
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Concentration, Intimidate, Knowledge (psionics), Psicraft
Psionics are cha-based

resistance: You are so tied up in energy that it doesn't hurt you as much. You start with resistance 2 to fire, cold, electricity or sonic, and this increases every other level as shown until you are immune to one of these four and have resistance 10 to the others. You choose in what order to gain resistances, but can never decrease one you have already chosen.

shape: You can reshape your emenations when it makes sense to do so. Specifically:

bent: when a power originates from you and goes outward in a direction, you may cause it to turn once, anywhere along its length, by any angle
convex subset: when a power targets an area, you may reduce the area. The new area must be convex. If the old area needed to touch you, the new one does as well.
concave subset: like convex subset, but need not be convex
holes: you can leave areas of unaffected space in the middle of your area-effect powers
distorted: you may apply any dimension-preserving volume-preserving-or-decreasing linear transformation to your areas of effect

energy: When a power allows you to choose between fire, cold, electricity or sonic, you gain other options as well:

light: reduce each die by one; shadows take double damage, prismatic dragons and radiant creatures take none; any creature that take more than 15 points of light damage are treated as being "in bright daylight"
force: reduce each die by two, to a minimum of zero; this power no longer allows a save; effects incorporeal beings reliably
piercing, slashing or bludgeoning: no special properties
hellfire: reduce each die by three, to a minimum of one; like fire, but ignores fire resistance and immunity
necrotic: instead of dealing hp damage, each two dice do one point of ability damage to the physical score of your choice

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-23, 10:54 PM
That... is a truly impressive amount of power points. I guess you'll be augmenting each power to full, but still...

Resistances scale at an odd rate. Conventionally, they're in increments of 5.

The Shape abilities are worded somewhat strangely, especially Bent (I assume you're talking about lines?) and the Convex/Concave (not really sure what you mean). Try looking at the Sculpt Spell feat for ideas here.

I like the idea of additional energy substitutions. "Light" energy is kind of strange, though... do you mean positive energy? Or "light" as in "Searing Light," which is untyped (and thus, not resisted against by anything). The physical damage set could use some wording about whether or not damage resistance applies. Hellfire is terrible; you're losing half the damage for a net effect that you can already get with Sonic (-1 damage, nothing really resists) or Force (-2 damage, no resistances, hits incorporals, and NO SAVES?... that's mildly insane). Necrotic doesn't really fit the flavor of the rest of the class.

As for the power list... some of the powers you have on there, like Mind Thrust, Ultrablast, and Control Fire, don't quite fit the "energy damage only" theme you have going. On the other hand, it might not go amiss to add a smattering of utility powers/powers of your choice. Even the warmage gets Eclectic Learning, after all.

An ability to boost the save DCs against your powers might not go amiss.