PDA

View Full Version : The Colts Vs. Saints game last night.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-24, 11:20 AM
Sweet Pony Princesses was that a fiasco. Anybody else watch it? I'm just glad I don't actually care about sports, or I probably would have been frothing at the mouth.

For those who don't know, the Colts lost, and the final score was 62-7.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-24, 12:09 PM
I only watch football once a year for the Super Bowl commercials.

62-7? Holy crap.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-24, 12:11 PM

62-7? Holy crap.

Like I said, I'm glad I don't care about sports.:smalltongue:

It was 34-7 at halftime, which is when I started watching.

Any Saints fans who are out there, feel free to come in and gloat.

Eakin
2011-10-24, 12:32 PM
I knew the Colts were bad this year, but I've been working sundays and haven't seen much of this football season. 62-7 though... That's just shameful.

Maybe this will convince Indianapolis to upgrade Manning with a bionic arm and bring him back

Mando Knight
2011-10-24, 01:40 PM
...Wait, people were paying attention to sports other than the World Series?

Because, you know, the best team is in it. Even the squirrels know it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_Squirrel)
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1575453029/416592439.jpg

Lord Blace
2011-10-24, 01:51 PM

Because, you know, the best team is in it. Even the squirrels know it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_Squirrel)

Obligatory from Texas retort here. Actually, I'm just looking forward to tonight being done with so the games will leave my area. Bleh.

On the topic at hand, wow, and I thought the 34/7 Cowboys/Rams was a stomping yesterday... (Which surprised me as I thought the Cowboys would totally mess it up last quarter and give away the win. :smalltongue:)

Mando Knight
2011-10-24, 02:03 PM
On the topic at hand, wow, and I thought the 34/7 Cowboys/Rams was a stomping yesterday... (Which surprised me as I thought the Cowboys would totally mess it up last quarter and give away the win. :smalltongue:)

The Rams know they're a side show to tide St. Louis over until it's baseball season again. Remember, a season or two ago it was an achievement for them to win at all.

INDYSTAR188
2011-10-24, 02:06 PM
Man, I'm from Indianapolis and it's been a rough sports year. Indiana University sucks, Purdue sucks, the Colts suck, no NBA, at least we have IU Basketball to look forward too, oh and Andrew Luck in the draft next year!

Lord Blace
2011-10-24, 02:12 PM
The Rams know they're a side show to tide St. Louis over until it's baseball season again. Remember, a season or two ago it was an achievement for them to win at all.

It's still the Cowboys. Who apparently love winning up until a certain point and then passing the ball to the other team.

Traab
2011-10-24, 02:13 PM
So... why dont they have a mercy rule in the nfl? lol Seriously, I dont like blowouts. I dont even care if its my team thats stomping the opposition. If there is ever a 30 point gap or more in points, then the game is over as far as im concerned. The winning team might as well start giving the cheerleaders and gatorade bottle boys a shot on the field to see if any of them show potential as a player.

Mando Knight
2011-10-24, 02:23 PM
So... why dont they have a mercy rule in the nfl?

Because most major league sports don't have mercy rules. You go out and do your best, and if you get creamed, that's what happened.

Anarion
2011-10-24, 02:27 PM
Because most major league sports don't have mercy rules. You go out and do your best, and if you get creamed, that's what happened.

To be fair, this was an unprecedented score. It tied the record for highest score ever since the NFL and AFL merged in 1970. One might imagine a rule that allows concessions at a certain point. Like, say when the only route to victory would be to recover 4 onside kicks in a row.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-25, 01:00 AM

"The World Series"...? Sorry you will have to help me out here, I am not aware of any international championship in any major sport going on right now...?

:smalltongue:

Edit: Is it just me or have the Lions finally figured out why they are winning and managed to correct that?

Ninjadeadbeard
2011-10-25, 01:12 AM
So... why dont they have a mercy rule in the nfl? lol Seriously, I dont like blowouts. I dont even care if its my team thats stomping the opposition. If there is ever a 30 point gap or more in points, then the game is over as far as im concerned. The winning team might as well start giving the cheerleaders and gatorade bottle boys a shot on the field to see if any of them show potential as a player.

What you suggest is called a "running clock". They have this for High School games so the kids don't get killed, but it's different is the NFL. It's the sportsmanship for one thing. You go out and you play. No ifs, ands or buts.

Also, could you imagine how angry the fans would be? If you pay $100+ for a good seat, I guarantee vomiting rage if they call the game early.

Starwulf
2011-10-25, 01:34 AM
To be fair, this was an unprecedented score. It tied the record for highest score ever since the NFL and AFL merged in 1970. One might imagine a rule that allows concessions at a certain point. Like, say when the only route to victory would be to recover 4 onside kicks in a row.

Not quite unprecedented. Biggest blow-out that I know of was the Bears against the skins waaaaaayyy back in the day. 73-0. Still, 62-7, especially in modern-day football, is definitely a blow-out of epic-proportions, and totally blows my mind. Wish I had known about it while it was going on, I'd have tuned out from the World Series to watch it. I knew Texas had it last night when Napoli smacked that 3 run homer the very instant I tuned in(Literally, I turned the channel to the WS, I saw 2 runners on base, Napoli up, the pitch, his swing, and the ball going out the park. I saw it as an Omen and figured they were going to win for sure).

Killer Angel
2011-10-25, 02:34 AM
For those who don't know, the Colts lost, and the final score was 62-7.

62?!? Recycling an old strip of Charlie Brown: that's not a score, that's a temperature.

goose1009
2011-10-25, 09:28 AM
And people were talking all kinds of crap on 2007 when the patriots were running up the scoreboards. I dont think they blew anybody out quite this bad that year. The Saints probably should have slowed down when they were up by 40, just start running out the clock......

Reverent-One
2011-10-25, 12:02 PM
And people were talking all kinds of crap on 2007 when the patriots were running up the scoreboards. I dont think they blew anybody out quite this bad that year. The Saints probably should have slowed down when they were up by 40, just start running out the clock......

They did, Brees left in the third quarter and they just ran the ball after that. They still scored a rushing touchdown and then their defense intercepted Painter for a Pick 6.

ClericPreston
2011-10-25, 02:35 PM
I myself am an Indianapolis native and resident. As a Colts fan, Sunday night was a horrific failure. I listened to most of the game while at work. As soon as I heard about Jeff Saturday bouncing the ball off Curtis Painter's head, I knew that this game was gonna suck.

TheEmerged
2011-10-25, 02:51 PM
Man, I'm from Indianapolis and it's been a rough sports year. Indiana University sucks, Purdue sucks, the Colts suck, no NBA, at least we have IU Basketball to look forward too, oh and Andrew Luck in the draft next year!

You might want to invest in tinfoil hats before you talk too much about Andrew Luck :smallcool: Even mainstream sports people are starting the conspiracy stuff now.

The J Pizzel
2011-10-25, 03:01 PM
I'm from Louisiana, not New Orleans though. It was a bloodbath. And just so's you know, the Saints were missing 3 of their best players that night. And they did pull Brees out, but it was still messy.

Edit - I don't normally watch much football. Ever since the Saints won the SuperBowl in '09 I've started watching a little more. Also, my new boss is an actual sport broadcaster on the side (he does our local college games), so I try to pay more attention now so we can talk about sport. And so I can get a raise. FYI - it's working!!!

cattoy
2011-10-26, 01:55 AM
It's just a matter of time until you start seeing Colts Jerseys with LUCK on the back...

Anteros
2011-10-26, 10:25 AM

The Saints did slow down. They put their backup players in during the 3rd quarter. The backups still scored a few times.

Teams have come back from 30 point deficits before.

McStabbington
2011-10-26, 01:58 PM
"The World Series"...? Sorry you will have to help me out here, I am not aware of any international championship in any major sport going on right now...?

:smalltongue:

Edit: Is it just me or have the Lions finally figured out why they are winning and managed to correct that?

I'm a 49ers fan and I have to say that the Lions don't deserve that. There was some frustration at the end of the Atlanta game and some sloppy play, but really it was just a case of the Falcons coming out and playing much better than anyone expected of them. That doesn't detract from the fact that the Lions are a tough, physical team with a lot of playmakers and a QB who, when he's on a hot streak, can go absolutely nuts.

My team has only one mode of play: run you over and bust your head, and they do it better than any team in the league. The Lions took everything we had for four quarters and almost edged us out. Had Gore not broken loose for two long runs, we would have lost. So whatever you say about the Lions, don't say that they don't have the tools or the talent or the drive to win.

Lord Seth
2011-10-26, 02:42 PM
It seems the Colts are the new Lions.
If there is ever a 30 point gap or more in points, then the game is over as far as im concerned.There's been at least one football game where a team was down by more than 30 points and won the game via a comeback.

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-26, 07:17 PM
It seems the Colts are the new Lions.There's been at least one football game where a team was down by more than 30 points and won the game via a comeback.

I think the colts are the new Shady Oaks Rest Home Senior Citizen's Amateur Football Team that due to a scheduling mix-up, is playing against NFL teams. That bad.

Makensha
2011-10-26, 07:24 PM

Same story here. I just... stopped.

Lord Seth
2011-10-26, 10:55 PM
I think the colts are the new Shady Oaks Rest Home Senior Citizen's Amateur Football Team that due to a scheduling mix-up, is playing against NFL teams. That bad.So, again, they're the new Lions. :smallwink:

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-27, 01:14 AM
I'm a 49ers fan and I have to say that the Lions don't deserve that. There was some frustration at the end of the Atlanta game and some sloppy play, but really it was just a case of the Falcons coming out and playing much better than anyone expected of them. That doesn't detract from the fact that the Lions are a tough, physical team with a lot of playmakers and a QB who, when he's on a hot streak, can go absolutely nuts.

My team has only one mode of play: run you over and bust your head, and they do it better than any team in the league. The Lions took everything we had for four quarters and almost edged us out. Had Gore not broken loose for two long runs, we would have lost. So whatever you say about the Lions, don't say that they don't have the tools or the talent or the drive to win.

I know; I am so happy they are doing as well as they are and I hope they get back on their feet quickly. Heck for being a team that went 0-16 just two years ago... Their progress is amazing.

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-27, 01:37 AM
A new era is starting in the NFL. The AFC's Big Three (Patriots, Steelers and Colts) are losing their dominance over the conference. Sure, Pittsburgh and New England are still good, but New England has yet to make an AFC Championship appearance since 2007. I think David Tyree killed their dynasty.
The Steelers are facing stiffer opposition from the Ravens, and it looks like the Bengals may be legit. They remain stagnant in a constantly improving AFC.
NFC is different every year. I don't think that conference has had anything you could call an era recently, just some teams are good, some teams are lousy.
Interestingly, if you look back at the past decade, since 2003 there have been seven different NFC teams in the Superbowl (Panthers, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, Giants, Cardinals, Saints and Packers) while the AFC has fielded only three different teams (Patriots, Steelers and Colts).
Are those teams just that good, or does this mean that the AFC is simply weak and easily dominated by three good teams? Is the NFC full of average teams who can't stay on top of each other or is there just better competition than in the AFC?

grimbold
2011-10-27, 04:00 AM
i used to follow football (Then i moved to europe) so now im confused

whats wrong with manning?

An Enemy Spy
2011-10-27, 10:27 AM
He's had three neck surgeries and is missing for the year.

grimbold
2011-10-27, 04:08 PM
He's had three neck surgeries and is missing for the year.

oh my
that is
not good

SDF
2011-10-27, 05:09 PM
A mercy rule would be weak. Considering how much the athletes get paid and the price of tickets at the very least.

I go to a Uni with a pretty popular football team, so I tend to follow NCAA football more than pro. And, it is a lot more fun rooting for a winning college team than the Vikings anyhow. :smalltongue:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/super_bowl.jpg

The Glyphstone
2011-10-28, 12:32 PM
A mercy rule would be weak. Considering how much the athletes get paid and the price of tickets at the very least.

I go to a Uni with a pretty popular football team, so I tend to follow NCAA football more than pro. And, it is a lot more fun rooting for a winning college team than the Vikings anyhow. :smalltongue:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/super_bowl.jpg

I'm better though - I don't even watch the actual football game.:smallbiggrin:
[/smug]