PDA

View Full Version : Once upon a time

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-24, 11:56 AM
Just wanted to say I frickin' love this show.

The grimdark version of Enchanted, basically (well as Grimdark as PG can be).

Brazen Shield
2011-10-24, 11:59 AM
When did the first episode of that come out!? far it! I meant to look around in the menu for it!

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-24, 12:07 PM
When did the first episode of that come out!? far it! I meant to look around in the menu for it!

Last night, ABC.

hamlet
2011-10-24, 12:56 PM
Meh.

Wasn't bad, but wasn't particularly impressive either.

Cherry_Blossom
2011-10-27, 05:12 AM
Just wanted to say I frickin' love this show.

The grimdark version of Enchanted, basically (well as Grimdark as PG can be).

I agree with every single word. The grimdark version is a great innovation in this series about Enchanted. The story sounds no common, I hope it can surprise me yet.
Today, it's only Thursday! Sunday is too far yet!:smallbiggrin:

Cherry_Blossom
2011-10-30, 07:11 AM
Thank God it's Sunday, finally! :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2011-10-31, 08:46 PM
So, I take it they're setting Rumpelstiltskin up as the real main villain.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-31, 11:53 PM
So, I take it they're setting Rumpelstiltskin up as the real main villain.

He always was.

I can't believe the Evil Queen walked right into that one. Maleficent seems to be the saner of the two, which says a lot.

Dante & Vergil
2011-11-01, 12:57 AM
I didn't think I'd like this show, but it's actually turning out ok for me, so I get to add another to the list.

grolim
2011-11-01, 10:02 AM
Kind of shocking the queen does THAT, and still probably won't be the big bad?

Kind of naive to think the curse would work completely on the being that made it though.

Mewtarthio
2011-11-01, 12:03 PM
He always was.

How do you mean?

BiblioRook
2011-11-01, 01:53 PM
I actually kinda agree with Avilan. Rumpelstiltskin already seemed the kinda person to manipulate people to his own ends, even from behind bars. After all, he was the one that made the curse to begin with, it sounds like getting someone to go through the sacrifice needed to activate the curse for him is just his style.
Also it looks like the curse affected the Queen too, but possibly not Rumpelstiltskin himself. It looks like to me the show is trying to paint the Queen in an unlikeable but slightly sympathetic light. She may something of a horrible person, but horrible in ways that are rather human. It kinda suggests that while she isn't good at showing it, she does care for Henry, and not as some sort of living mcguffin but simply as a mother (who clearly has no idea on how to be a mother) to a son. I don't think they would do that if she was the intended villain.

Mewtarthio
2011-11-01, 02:57 PM
I actually kinda agree with Avilan. Rumpelstiltskin already seemed the kinda person to manipulate people to his own ends, even from behind bars. After all, he was the one that made the curse to begin with, it sounds like getting someone to go through the sacrifice needed to activate the curse for him is just his style.

I agree with all that. When Avilan said, "He always was [the real villain]," I assumed he meant, "We already knew he was the real villain." Hence, my confusion, since all the trailers I saw and the pilot indicated that Regina was the bad guy, with "Mister Gold" being, at most, a hostile third faction.

Also it looks like the curse affected the Queen too, but possibly not Rumpelstiltskin himself.

I wonder about that. Stiltskin obviously managed to dodge the bad parts of the curse, but its effects on the Queen seem a bit ambiguous. On the one hand, she doesn't seem to recognize Mr. Gold for who he really is, isn't expecting Snow White's child to show up and ruin things, and (most tellingly) doesn't hold any particular vendetta against "Blanche."

On the other hand, she has clear memories of the adoption ten years ago, despite Henry's claim that Storybrooke residents' memories are hazy and vague; she still attaches some sort of emotional significance to the name "Henry," and acts strangely reticent when Gold brings it up; and Henry is worried about what will happen if Regina discovers the prophecy. Plus, we have Stiltskin's cryptic remark that she already knows who Emma is.

BiblioRook
2011-11-01, 03:32 PM
On the other hand, she has clear memories of the adoption ten years ago, despite Henry's claim that Storybrooke residents' memories are hazy and vague; she still attaches some sort of emotional significance to the name "Henry," and acts strangely reticent when Gold brings it up; and Henry is worried about what will happen if Regina discovers the prophecy. Plus, we have Stiltskin's cryptic remark that she already knows who Emma is.

'Hazy memories' doesn't necessarily mean none of them would be clear, it's also possible that just by the nature of the memories seeming to be incomplete that some people like Regina might start 'filling in' them. THe human mind has a remarkable ability to bounce back and adapt, especially with things it doesn't understand. But that's enough psychobabble.
Though side-note: with a town full of what are basically amnesics, I wonder just how Archie Hopper explains it as a psychiatrist?

Anyways, I didn't really think about the lingering possibility of Regina figuring out the curse (As Regina though, doesn't she already 'know' about it? She mentioned Henry calls her the Evil Queen. I'm not sure how she would react to Emma being part of it honestly as she already thinks it's kinda nonsense.)
The thing that clinched it with Mr. Gold as more of a villain then Regina was Henry's adoption. Regina jut thought she was getting a normal boy, but Mr. Gold went out of his way to find the boy the would set everything in motion and we don't know why.

Avilan the Grey
2011-11-01, 04:16 PM
Actually I pinned him as a major villain already in the first episode, but yes, after the second one there is no doubt he is the real villain, as well as the only one except Henry that knows exactly what is going on.

Btw, who is the sheriff supposed to have been?

BiblioRook
2011-11-01, 10:15 PM
If he turns out to be the Big Bad Wolf or something I think I just might stop watching in protest.

Starwulf
2011-11-01, 10:32 PM
Actually I pinned him as a major villain already in the first episode, but yes, after the second one there is no doubt he is the real villain, as well as the only one except Henry that knows exactly what is going on.

Btw, who is the sheriff supposed to have been?

Absolutely no idea, me and my wife were wondering this very thing.

On another note, could someone write a detailed synopsis of the second episode(obviously put it in spoilers)? Me and my wife were without electricity for 3 days due to a minor snowstorm, and as such, missed the second episode. I would be eternally grateful :)

playswithfire
2011-11-01, 11:30 PM
On another note, could someone write a detailed synopsis of the second episode(obviously put it in spoilers)? Me and my wife were without electricity for 3 days due to a minor snowstorm, and as such, missed the second episode. I would be eternally grateful :)

How about a link to watch it on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/watch/292830/once-upon-a-time-the-thing-you-love-most#s-p1-so-i0) instead?

KingofMadCows
2011-11-02, 12:23 AM
Hmmm, Robert Carlyle playing a mysterious morally ambiguous puppet master with knowledge of powerful secrets, sounds strangely familiar.

Starwulf
2011-11-02, 01:36 AM
How about a link to watch it on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/watch/292830/once-upon-a-time-the-thing-you-love-most#s-p1-so-i0) instead?

Sadly, I forgot to mention this on this thread, but I can't watch anything online, I'm on a 26.4k dial-up connection :-(

Avilan the Grey
2011-11-02, 02:28 AM
Absolutely no idea, me and my wife were wondering this very thing.

Well let's see...

"IRL": Henry gives Emma the last 10 or so pages of his book, so his mother won't be able to read the end (where supposedly Emma saves everyone).

In the meantime, Regina tries to frame Emma by making it appear as if she broke in and stole Henry's files from his therapy sessions.
The sheriff sort of believes Emma's claim that she has been framed, and so does Blanche, who posts bail. The two talk a bit and Emma is visually shocked when she finds out Henry thinks Blanche is Snow White (because that would mean she is talking to her birthmother right now!) She doesn't reveal anything about that, though.

Emma, out of jail, gets pissed off and cuts down half of Regina's apple tree with a chain saw and they exchange threats.

Que flashback: The Evil Queen decides she needs to use "The Curse", the big one. Only she has traded it with Maleficent for her Sleeping Curse and must negotiate to get it back. Things quickly heat up in Maleficent's castle however because Maleficent is sane enough to reveal that the reason she traded curses with the Evil Queen is so that no-one would ever use the Curse (she herself, despite being who she is, thinks it is WAY too evil to use). The two evil witches do battle and the Queen defeats Maleficent by forcing her to protect her pet black unicorn with her life, but refuses to kill her since "you are my only friend". She takes The Curse and tries to use it.

The Curse fails, and the Queen is forced to go to the one she traded it from in the first place to find out what she did wrong. Surprise surprise... the person she traded it from is Rumpelstiltskin.

He advices her, after making her a new deal that he, whatever happens, can have whatever he wishes from her if he just says "please" first, that in order to make it work she must cut out the heart of something she truly loves. It turns out that the one person she truly loves is her butler, who almost manages to talk her out of this path to the ultimate dark side before she stabs him and takes his heart.

After the fact it turns out that the "butler" actually was her father!!

The last thing we see in the flashback is the Queen placing a single black rose at her fathers grave (the inscription on the stone says "Henry, beloved father") before she unleashes the Curse.

"IRL" again: Regina has called the sheriff and wants him to throw Emma in jail again. He advises against it and says there is easier and better ways to make Emma stay away from Henry (and suddenly of course we now understand why he is named Henry).

Regina sets up a meeting with Emma, where she coaxes Emma into saying she knows Henry is crazy, and of course Regina has made sure Henry hears it, and he gets very upset.

The episode ends, however, with Emma finding Henry at Hopper's office and explains she now believes Henry, and she must lie to the Queen to make her think she doesn't. They then burn the last pages of the book and walks off somewhere outside.

Regina is busy trying to save her tree when Mr Gold shows up, say she seems to be in a very good mood despite the tree incident. She says she is, since Emma now has left town. He lets her know he saw them walk off hand in hand from Dr Hopper's office...
Then we get a little more details about their relationship: It seems Mr Gold, personally, helped with Regina's adoption request and "just happened" to pick Henry for her. He also insists that Regina "should" know, or figure out, who Emma is. He ends the episode by asking Regina to step aside... "please". And she does, with a very uncomfortable look on her face.

Conclusions so far is that it seems the only two people who either remembers everything or at least knows everything are Rumpelstiltskin and Henry.
Even Regina seems hazy in how she became Mayor to begin with, and apart from a fixation with apples (she always drinks her homemade cider) actually seems like a better person than her old self. For one thing she seems to truly love Henry (Jr) and is honestly very scared that Emma will steal him away.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-02, 04:50 AM
Meh. I've seen previews of it but all and all it doesn't look that appealing to me. I don't know. Seems a little too much like melodrama for me, but I haven't seen it so what do I know.

Starwulf
2011-11-02, 05:34 AM
Well let's see...

"IRL": Henry gives Emma the last 10 or so pages of his book, so his mother won't be able to read the end (where supposedly Emma saves everyone).

In the meantime, Regina tries to frame Emma by making it appear as if she broke in and stole Henry's files from his therapy sessions.
The sheriff sort of believes Emma's claim that she has been framed, and so does Blanche, who posts bail. The two talk a bit and Emma is visually shocked when she finds out Henry thinks Blanche is Snow White (because that would mean she is talking to her birthmother right now!) She doesn't reveal anything about that, though.

Emma, out of jail, gets pissed off and cuts down half of Regina's apple tree with a chain saw and they exchange threats.

Que flashback: The Evil Queen decides she needs to use "The Curse", the big one. Only she has traded it with Maleficent for her Sleeping Curse and must negotiate to get it back. Things quickly heat up in Maleficent's castle however because Maleficent is sane enough to reveal that the reason she traded curses with the Evil Queen is so that no-one would ever use the Curse (she herself, despite being who she is, thinks it is WAY too evil to use). The two evil witches do battle and the Queen defeats Maleficent by forcing her to protect her pet black unicorn with her life, but refuses to kill her since "you are my only friend". She takes The Curse and tries to use it.

The Curse fails, and the Queen is forced to go to the one she traded it from in the first place to find out what she did wrong. Surprise surprise... the person she traded it from is Rumpelstiltskin.

He advices her, after making her a new deal that he, whatever happens, can have whatever he wishes from her if he just says "please" first, that in order to make it work she must cut out the heart of something she truly loves. It turns out that the one person she truly loves is her butler, who almost manages to talk her out of this path to the ultimate dark side before she stabs him and takes his heart.

After the fact it turns out that the "butler" actually was her father!!

The last thing we see in the flashback is the Queen placing a single black rose at her fathers grave (the inscription on the stone says "Henry, beloved father") before she unleashes the Curse.

"IRL" again: Regina has called the sheriff and wants him to throw Emma in jail again. He advises against it and says there is easier and better ways to make Emma stay away from Henry (and suddenly of course we now understand why he is named Henry).

Regina sets up a meeting with Emma, where she coaxes Emma into saying she knows Henry is crazy, and of course Regina has made sure Henry hears it, and he gets very upset.

The episode ends, however, with Emma finding Henry at Hopper's office and explains she now believes Henry, and she must lie to the Queen to make her think she doesn't. They then burn the last pages of the book and walks off somewhere outside.

Regina is busy trying to save her tree when Mr Gold shows up, say she seems to be in a very good mood despite the tree incident. She says she is, since Emma now has left town. He lets her know he saw them walk off hand in hand from Dr Hopper's office...
Then we get a little more details about their relationship: It seems Mr Gold, personally, helped with Regina's adoption request and "just happened" to pick Henry for her. He also insists that Regina "should" know, or figure out, who Emma is. He ends the episode by asking Regina to step aside... "please". And she does, with a very uncomfortable look on her face.

Conclusions so far is that it seems the only two people who either remembers everything or at least knows everything are Rumpelstiltskin and Henry.
Even Regina seems hazy in how she became Mayor to begin with, and apart from a fixation with apples (she always drinks her homemade cider) actually seems like a better person than her old self. For one thing she seems to truly love Henry (Jr) and is honestly very scared that Emma will steal him away.

Woot! Thank you :) Now me and my wife won't be to terribly confused when we watch the third episode this sunday :)

Avilan the Grey
2011-11-02, 05:54 AM
Woot! Thank you :) Now me and my wife won't be to terribly confused when we watch the third episode this sunday :)

Glad to help :smallsmile:

Joran
2011-11-06, 02:08 AM
So with Maleficent around, does that mean we'll be getting Sleeping Beauty? Will Henry have a Fairy Godmother? Any references to Cinderella yet?

Also, the Sheriff's name is Sheriff Graham... Hansel? >.> <.<

Episode 2 more spoilers

The evil queen mentions that she had a lover, one who made her happy and died, thanks to Snow White. That's why she's so bitter; she's consumed by making her pay for what she did.

Relevant quotes:
"Weren't you about the same age (as Snow White) when you were to be married before she ruined it all?"

And: "What I love the most died because of Snow White"

BiblioRook
2011-11-06, 03:40 AM
Also, the Sheriff's name is Sheriff Graham... Hansel? >.> <.<

That crossed my mind too, even if it is a kinda a stretch (you can just as well say he's the Gingerbread man). Thing that make me think that might be unlikely is the absence of Gretel. Even on this side of things the characters seem to be closely bonded with their counterparts (Red and her grandmother, the Evil Queen and the Mirror). As far as we know, the only character Graham hangs around is the Evil Queen.

Oh wait, doi, what about the Huntsman? (You know, the one that was supposed to kill Snow White on the Queen's behalf but took pity on her?)

Joran
2011-11-06, 12:45 PM
Oh wait, doi, what about the Huntsman? (You know, the one that was supposed to kill Snow White on the Queen's behalf but took pity on her?)

I was thinking that but confused that huntsman with the one from the Big Bad Wolf.

Don't understand the name though, because everyone else has a name linking them to their character.

BiblioRook
2011-11-06, 12:59 PM
Not really, the Evil Queen is simply 'Regina Mills' after all. We also don't know his full name yet, just his last name.

Looking at the Wikipedia character list it includes alot of characters that haven't appeared yet and many of them have rather ordinary names too (Cinderella is just 'Ashley' and her prince just 'Sean', though the Hansel and Gretel witch is there too as 'Ms Ginger' so Hansel and/or Gretel still might appear in some way).

Joran
2011-11-06, 02:09 PM
Not really, the Evil Queen is simply 'Regina Mills' after all. We also don't know his full name yet, just his last name.

Looking at the Wikipedia character list it includes alot of characters that haven't appeared yet and many of them have rather ordinary names too (Cinderella is just 'Ashley' and her prince just 'Sean', though the Hansel and Gretel witch is there too as 'Ms Ginger' so Hansel and/or Gretel still might appear in some way).

Regina means "Queen", so there's the connection.

Joran
2011-11-13, 01:02 PM
Okay, there's a twist. Nothing like a good love triangle to mess with everyone.

Prince Charming has a name now, James in fairy tale land, and David Nolan in real world. David means beloved and Nolan means famous or noble, but I don't see a connection with Charming.

Sheriff Graham being The Huntsman looking better because he said something about being home in the woods and he could track someone.

Jahkaivah
2011-11-13, 07:55 PM
It sounds a lot like The 10th Kingdom.

Viera Champion
2011-11-13, 09:40 PM
I'm in love with this show. My only problem is that they made Maleficent a blonde my favorite villain of all time is not a blonde.

BiblioRook
2011-11-14, 01:49 AM
Sheriff Graham being The Huntsman looking better because he said something about being home in the woods and he could track someone.

Yeah, I caught him saying that too and had a right chuckle about it, but really I can't see him being anything else at the moment.

As for the whole name thing, what are your thoughts on how Ashley Boyd = Cinderella?

It sounds a lot like The 10th Kingdom.

I have to admit that I do get something of the same feeling from it (hence my comment about Graham being a wolf)

The J Pizzel
2011-11-14, 08:32 AM
The wife and I have been watching it since it started. We're really enjoying it. I like the thought that has gone into all the characters as well as the story. Like last night. Rumple said as long as the deal was unpaid Cinderalla would never have Charming again. Then, in the hospital in the real world, Emma brokered a new deal thus paying off Cinderella's debt, and suddenly Charming walked into the hospital and apoligized and they're back together. It's kind of cheesy, but I like looking for all the little nuances they're putting in there.

Also, Rumplestiltskin is the sh*t.

When he says "Remember, all magic comes with a price" I can't help but love him.

Also, it is similar to 10th Kingdom in some ways. The meshing of all fairy tales and the involvement of the modern world. But it's different enough that I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Moreso than 10th Kingdom currently.

Joran
2011-11-14, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I caught him saying that too and had a right chuckle about it, but really I can't see him being anything else at the moment.

As for the whole name thing, what are your thoughts on how Ashley Boyd = Cinderella?

Ash-ley = Cinder-ella.

In the Grimm books, the original German name for Cinderella is "Aschenputtel".

Avilan the Grey
2011-12-03, 05:29 PM
Was that... Snow White's coffin down there?

Viera Champion
2011-12-03, 08:49 PM

You mean in the mine? No, it was the magic mirror.

Mewtarthio
2011-12-03, 10:14 PM
I thought the mirror was a corrupt, toadying journalist now.

Avilan the Grey
2011-12-04, 01:42 AM

It was definitely not the mirror; "he" is the owner of the local paper, as seen in episode 1, as Mewtarthio says.

Joran
2011-12-05, 05:29 PM
Well, now we know they aren't following just the Grimm fairytales. We got thrown a King Midas.

playswithfire
2011-12-06, 12:08 AM

One of the writers seems to confirm that it is the glass coffin here (https://twitter.com/#!/JaneEspenson/status/141019772556034048).

Avilan the Grey
2011-12-06, 02:58 AM
Well, now we know they aren't following just the Grimm fairytales. We got thrown a King Midas.

Well to be fair we are using Disney's selection of fairy tales. This means both Grimm, One Thousand and One Nights and HC Andersen, for a start (they have already cast who is going to play both Ariel and Aladdin).

Probably Mother Goose and Alice in Wonderland as well.

Midas is one of the few ancient myths that most people still knows, unlike say Herakles (though, again, Disney...)

One of the writers seems to confirm that it is the glass coffin here (https://twitter.com/#!/JaneEspenson/status/141019772556034048).

I thought so; the "glass with irregular wood "roots" over it was very distinctive for the glass coffin and all glass pieces we saw had those "roots" crisscrossing them.

Derthric
2011-12-07, 02:18 PM
I have come to enjoy this series, I just hope it doesn't keep things floating in the air too much and we start to progress towards some resolutions or tangible developments. Basically I hope they don't Lost this thing.

Joran
2011-12-08, 04:55 PM
I have come to enjoy this series, I just hope it doesn't keep things floating in the air too much and we start to progress towards some resolutions or tangible developments. Basically I hope they don't Lost this thing.

Well, it's written by some Lost writers...

I'm liking it a lot. It's reached "DVR 45 minutes then watch it essentially live with no commercials" status, rather than "DVR and then watch like whenever we have time."

Viera Champion
2011-12-08, 06:39 PM
It was definitely not the mirror; "he" is the owner of the local paper, as seen in episode 1, as Mewtarthio says.

Incorrect, the spirit inside the mirror is a journalist. The mirror itself is not.

Though I suppose if one of the writers says it is a coffin, it is a coffin.

Derthric
2011-12-13, 06:21 AM
Thoughts on the last episode, spoilered so no complaining.
I had a bet going about the sheriff with a friend of mine who insisted it would be the big bad wolf like in Fables. I called it for the huntsman, that 5 bucks is mine!

Shame they killed him off immediately after he reawakens. However I can't help but notice that the whistle he gave Snow White has yet to be mentioned again.

It confirms that Regina remembers, and by extension I think its a safe bet Mr Gold is fully aware of whats going on.

Also what the hell was Mr Gold doing out in the woods with a small smock covering a nice suit and holding a shovel?

Is Emma the Sheriff now?

Helanna
2011-12-13, 10:18 AM
Throughout the whole episode, I was hoping that it wouldn't revert back to the status quo at the end. Somebody actually beginning to remember sounded interesting, I didn't want them to just reset it.

Now I'm really hoping that the next episode opens up with the status quo intact. I started really liking Graham during this episode, so I hope he's not actually dead. Maybe it'll be passed off as a heart attack, but they managed to restart his heart or something.

Also, glad to see confirmation that Regina remembers everything. I didn't really see that one coming. What other stuff does she have hidden away like that?

Viera Champion
2011-12-13, 02:29 PM
Throughout the whole episode, I was hoping that it wouldn't revert back to the status quo at the end. Somebody actually beginning to remember sounded interesting, I didn't want them to just reset it.

Now I'm really hoping that the next episode opens up with the status quo intact. I started really liking Graham during this episode, so I hope he's not actually dead. Maybe it'll be passed off as a heart attack, but they managed to restart his heart or something.

Also, glad to see confirmation that Regina remembers everything. I didn't really see that one coming. What other stuff does she have hidden away like that?

She crushed his heart to dust. I doubt he's coming back dear.

BiblioRook
2011-12-13, 03:01 PM

This is what annoyed me with the whole deal with David. Someone with amnesia in a town populated with people with fake memories, who then 'suddenly 'remembers everything' again? Seemed like the perfect set up for having someone remember their story book lives again. Sure it may still turn out that way (It would explain why he went back to his wife, he would remember his deal. But I'm not sure how it still apply, are ether his mother or ether king in Storybrooke?), but if so why wouldn't he confine in someone and/or join up with Operation Cobra?

Also Graham was one of my favorite characters. I really lost a lot of interest with this show with this episode.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-13, 03:16 PM
Great show. It keeps getting better, two.

I was particularly impressed by the dragon animation, considering the show's budget.

Joran
2011-12-13, 10:55 PM
This is what annoyed me with the whole deal with David. Someone with amnesia in a town populated with people with fake memories, who then 'suddenly 'remembers everything' again? Seemed like the perfect set up for having someone remember their story book lives again. Sure it may still turn out that way (It would explain why he went back to his wife, he would remember his deal. But I'm not sure how it still apply, are ether his mother or ether king in Storybrooke?), but if so why wouldn't he confine in someone and/or join up with Operation Cobra?

Also Graham was one of my favorite characters. I really lost a lot of interest with this show with this episode.

I had the impression that David had remembered his fake life with his wife rather than his storybook life. I think only Emma can really break the enchantment... Clearly, this means that Emma needs to kiss Mary Margaret... :smallredface:

Okay, sorry, got sidetracked. Some questions for me:

1) Anyone figure out who Doctor Whale is?
2) What's the connection with the Huntsman and the name Graham?
3) What's the significance of the windmill?

P.S. Also, props to Bibliorook, who posted in the first page that Graham was the Huntsman.

BiblioRook
2011-12-14, 12:27 AM
I had the impression that David had remembered his fake life with his wife rather than his storybook life. I think only Emma can really break the enchantment... Clearly, this means that Emma needs to kiss Mary Margaret... :smallredface:

Okay, sorry, got sidetracked. Some questions for me:

1) Anyone figure out who Doctor Whale is?
2) What's the connection with the Huntsman and the name Graham?
3) What's the significance of the windmill?

P.S. Also, props to Bibliorook, who posted in the first page that Graham was the Huntsman.

The fact that he only remembered his fake memories rather then his story book memories was my complaint.

As for Graham being the Huntsman, I still say it was pretty obvious. I think it was mostly just the fact that his name didn't have a special meaning (that we could figure out) that made people not consider it as much of a possibility.

I have been scratching my head over Dr. Whale too though. Are there even any fairy tales with whales involved? Only things that come to mind is that whale in Pinocchio and Jonah, the latter being a huge stretch at best and the former seeming unlikely if for no other reason the doctor's minimal if not nonexistent connection to Geppetto.
Only character he really seems to interact with though is Mary, I'm pretty sure there where no whales involved in Snow White. Something tells me he's not going to be a good guy however. (I mean, this whole curse was supposed to be one big final '**** you!' specifically for Snow White in the first place, the fact that he's dating her and based off her own account on having bad choice with men there's no way that can end well.)

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-14, 02:44 AM
Fixate less on the "Whale" and more on the "Dr." Charming called the man-midwife attending Snow "Doc".

Joran
2011-12-14, 10:17 AM
Fixate less on the "Whale" and more on the "Dr." Charming called the man-midwife attending Snow "Doc".

So, Doc of the Seven Dwarves? Doesn't seem quite right, but Sleepy and Grumpy are both working in the hospital as well.

BiblioRook
2011-12-14, 02:45 PM
But we've met Doc already.
Maybe not in Storybrooke, but we've seen him nonetheless (at the War Council I think), and he looks nothing like Dr. Whale. And if nothing else has been consistent, the characters have kept their appearances.

Fiery Diamond
2011-12-15, 01:21 AM
So I just started watching this, and I'm at episode 4. I was watching the Cinderella in fairy-tale land part and when Rumpelstiltskin made his murderous entrance I was all like
0.o ... OMG, Cinderella's story got hijacked by Rumpelstiltskin!

Helanna
2011-12-15, 03:03 PM

Hey! It could . . . it could happen . . . :smallfrown:

Joran
2011-12-15, 07:44 PM
So I just started watching this, and I'm at episode 4. I was watching the Cinderella in fairy-tale land part and when Rumpelstiltskin made his murderous entrance I was all like
0.o ... OMG, Cinderella's story got hijacked by Rumpelstiltskin!

Bippety, boppity, boo-BAMPH.

Yup, now THAT is an entrance. Also, a nice merging of Cinderella and the original Rumpelstiltskin story.

Fiery Diamond
2011-12-16, 01:41 AM

That was so sad. Though I am glad it was spoiled for me here, because the tension and letdown at his death would have killed me if I hadn't known going in.

The fact that he was right about his heart being there but that Regina interrupted before they could find it... *cries*

Emma might be a little more open to the idea that they're fairy-tale characters now. If she finds out that that was Regina's fault... ooh boy. The Evil Queen is going down so hard. Unfortunately, she won't find out, at least not anytime soon.

Sha'uri
2011-12-30, 07:06 PM
I can't get the station to come in that it's on, so I'm forced to watch it on my laptop :smallamused:

Fiery Diamond
2011-12-31, 03:12 PM
I can't get the station to come in that it's on, so I'm forced to watch it on my laptop :smallamused:

Got you beat there - I have ZERO television channels. I have to watch all TV shows I want to watch on my laptop.

Why do they feel the need to have a few week break in the middle of the season? Ergh.

Avilan the Grey
2011-12-31, 03:23 PM
I am slightly disappointed with his death (Huntsman), but on the other hand he basically was a walking corpse: he was already more or less dead by the start of the series, and he is never seen doing anything after getting his heart ripped out in the original story.

ThreadKiller
2012-01-09, 02:12 PM
Just saw the latest episode. All I can say is wow...Rumpelstiltskin is a magnificent villain, and is brilliantly cast.

Fiery Diamond
2012-01-09, 02:35 PM
Just saw the latest episode. All I can say is wow...Rumpelstiltskin is a magnificent villain, and is brilliantly cast.

Same, and completely agreed. And we got to see how he became a villain, too!

nightwyrm
2012-01-09, 10:26 PM

Robert Carlyle has always been awesome.