PDA

View Full Version : E6 Feats (for use with Gnorman's E6 Classes)(PEACH)

stack
2011-10-24, 01:43 PM
As someone who is very impressed by Gnorman's E6 classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215986), I spent some time thinking about feats to go along with them. (Raking leaves does give one time to think.)

Universal:
Light steps (Ex) - bonuses when hasted NEW
Prerequisites: BAB +4

Benefit: When under the effects of a haste spell or SLA, you may ignore the movement penalty from difficult terrain. You also gain a +4 to any check made to avoid being grappled or entangled.

Snap Shot: (Ex) - make ranged attacks as AOO's (Newer)
Prerequisites: BAB +6, weapon focus with ranged weapon

Benefit: You threaten out to 5 ft with any ranged weapon you have weapon focus for. You do not provoke AOOs for making attacks of opportunity.

Improved Snap Shot: (Ex) - make ranged attacks as AOO's (Newer)
Prerequisites: Snap Shot Feat

Benefit: You threaten out to 15 ft with any ranged weapon you have weapon focus for. You do not provoke AOOs for making attacks of opportunity.

Sentinel:
Step Back (Ex) - bullrush when making AOOs
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Stalwart Defender class feature

Benefit: Whenever you hit with an attack of opportunity, you may make a free bull rush attempt against the target. This attempt does not provoke AOO's and you do not have to move with the target.

Blade Wall (Ex) - flank when allies threaten target NEW
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Stalwart Defender class feature

Benefit: Whenever a target is threatened by you and any ally, you are both considered to be flanking the target.

Zealot:

Zealous Blade (Su)- brilliant energy weapon
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Retribution class feature

Benefit: As an swift action, you end the alignment property on your weapon granted by the retribution class feature and replace it with the brilliant weapon property for up to class level + CHA mod rounds. This can be ended as a free action. The attribute granted by Retribution cannot be reapplied for 1 minute per round of use of the brilliant energy weapon.

Soul Shaker (Su): debuff enemy saves in place of buffing allies NEW
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Conviction class feature

Benefit: As a standard action, you may switch the bonus to saves for allies gained from the conviction ability to a penalty to the same saves for all foes within the same radius. There is no saving throw to avoid this penalty. Replacing this effect with the normal conviction bonus is a standard action.

Battle Blessed (Su)- heal allies when striking foes NEW
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Retribution class feature

Benefit: When your retribution class feature is active, you may heal an ally with 10' up to your class level in HP every time to deal damage to an opponent using your weapon. They cannot receive more than their max HP. You are not considered your own ally for the use of this ability.

(Templar Archetype)

Spell Shield (Su)- temporarily increase spell resistance
Prerequisites: Spell Resistance, BAB +3

Benefit: As an immediate action, you may boost your existing spell resistance in increments of 5 (total increase of up to character level x 5) until the start of you next turn when targeted by or in the area of effect of a hostile spell you are aware of. For each increment of boost, your spell resist ceases to function for one round immediately after the boost ends.

Spell Mirror(Su)- reflect one spell
Prerequisites: Spell Shield

Benefit: When using the spell shield feat, you may instead reflect a single target spell targeting you back on its originator. Area spell may not be reflected. Deflecting a spell causes your spell resistance to cease for 1 minute per level of spell reflected.

Share Spell Shield (Su)- grant a group spell resistance
Prerequisites: Spell Shield

Benefit: When using the spell shield feat, instead of boosting your spell resistance, you may grant your spell resistance to up to your character level of allies within 30'. Checks to pierce this spell resistance are resolved once for all effected allies. Using this feat leaves you fatigued and without spell resistance for one minute per ally affected. If used when fatigued, you are instead exhausted. You may not use this feat when exhausted. The fatigue and exhaustion penalties are incurred even if your character is normally immune.

Zealot or White Mage:
Sword of Light (Su)- daylight on weapon
Prerequisites: BAB +4, Retribution or Faithful Strike class features

Benefit: When using the retribution or faithful strike class feature you may choose to have it emit light as the daylight spell, with caster level equal to your class level. This ability can be suppressed as a free action and resumed as a swift action. You are never dazzled by your own weapon.

Hammer of Midnight (Su)- darkness on weapon
Prerequisites: BAB +4, Retribution or Faithful Strike class features

Benefit: When using the retribution or faithful strike class feature you may choose to have it emit shadowy illumination as the darkness spell, with caster level equal to your class level. This ability can be suppressed as a free action and resumed as a swift action.

Blessed blade (Su)- consecrate on weapon
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Sword of Light or Hammer of Darkness feats

Benefit: When using the sword of light or hammer of darkness feats you may choose to have you weapon emit a consecration effect as the consecrate spell, with caster level equal to your class level. This ability can be suppressed as a free action and resumed as a swift action.

Profane Blade (Su)- desecrate on weapon
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Sword of Light or Hammer of Darkness feats

Benefit: When using the sword of light or hammer of darkness feats you may choose to have you weapon emit a desecration effect as the desecrate spell, with caster level equal to your class level. This ability can be suppressed as a free action and resumed as a swift action.

Note: I deliberately left off alignment restriction on these powers in accordance with the lack of alignment restrictions in Gnorman's E6 classes. Thus an evil character can emit light and blast undead if they want, or a heroic knight can fight in darkness (though he may want blindfight).

Brawler:
Quick feet (Ex): sacrifice attack for movement NEW
Prerequisites: Faster Than the Naked Eye class feature

Benefit: As a free action, when using your Faster Than the Naked Eye class feature, you may sacrifice the the extra attack granted for an extra move action, which can be taken before, after, or at any point during your full attack action.

Engineer:

Discipline FocusPrerequisites: Inventions class feature, BAB +2

Benefit: Pick a discipline for this feat to apply to. You gain a +1 untyped bonus to the DC of all inventions in that discipline and may prepare one additional level 1 invention from that discipline per day. This feat may be taken multiple times. It does not stack, each time it is applied to a different discipline.

Extra Improvisation:
Prerequisites: Improvisation class feature

Benefit: You gain an extra two uses of your improvisation class feature.

Sage:

Sage reflection (Ex): bonus to INT checksPrerequisites: Pure genius class feature

You can enter a deep meditation, allowing you to concentrate on a single problem or memory. This trance lasts 1d6 rounds, during which time you can only take move actions. When you come out of your trance, you may make a single Intelligence-based skill check with a +20 circumstance bonus. You may enter your focused trance a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Brain Drain (Su):Prerequisites: Pure genius class feature

You can take a standard action to violently probe the mind of a single intelligent enemy within 100 feet. The target receives a Will save to negate the effect (DC = 10+ sage level/2 +INT mod) and immediately knows the source of this harmful mental prying. Those who fail this save are wracked with pain, taking 1d4 points of damage per sage level. After successfully attacking with this ability, you may use a fullround action to sort through the jumble of stolen thoughts and memories to make a single Knowledge check using the victim’s skill bonus. The randomly stolen thoughts remain in your mind for a number of rounds equal to your Int modifier. Treat the knowledge gained as if you used detect thoughts. This is a mind-affecting effect. You can use this ability once per point of Int mod.

In addition, on a failed save, you gain the effect of the read thoughts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/readThoughts.htm) power, but only in regards to your target, lasting for INT mod rounds.

(Occultist Archetype)
Occult research: grant non-blast invocation
Prerequisites: Eldritch blast, BAB+4

Benefit: You gain the use of one warlock or dragonfire adept least invocation. This invocation does NOT have to be a blast shape or blast essence.

Poet:
Diverse Interests: open another spell list NEW
Prerequisites: BAB+4, dilettante class feature, cannot have the Focused Study feat

Benefit: Choose an additional mage class to select spells from when preparing your daily SLAs. This feat does not grant extra uses of your SLA power. This feat may be taken up to three times, each time opening another spell list.

Focused Study: Grant archetype spells as SLAs NEW
Prerequisites: BAB+4, dilettante class feature, cannot have the Diverse Interests feat

Benefit: Choose one mage class that you have previously selected for your dilettante class feature. You may now prepare one SLA per day from any of the archetype spells of a level that you could normally prepare. This is in addition to your normal allotment of daily SLAs.

I am rather inexperienced with homebrew, so critique away.

Eldest
2011-10-24, 04:11 PM
You mentioned on that thread that you were thinking of the 'epic' feats you get at 6th level and beyond, which of these are intended as epic feats?

stack
2011-10-24, 06:32 PM
I guess none of these are necessarily. Just trying to make fitting options for cool classes. Extra improv couldn't be taken till 6 anyway.

stack
2011-10-26, 10:57 AM
So they are either so bad they aren't worth fixing, so good people are in silent awe, so boring they aren't worth critiquing, or so narrowly specialized no one cares. Not shocked, honestly.

I'll try to think a few more up. The casters don't seem to need much that I can see. Most of what I can imagine just ends up being +1 to x ability. While sometimes useful, not terrible interesting verses granting new options.

ED -Added several, though I cribbed some of the sage ones from the PF lore oracle.

Dead_Jester
2011-10-26, 05:28 PM
Those feats seem quite good actually :smallwink:

How about making Brain Drain also give the effect of Read Thoughts (the lvl 2 telepath power) as it is both fitting and not too game breaking.

Spell Mirror might be a little too harsh (making it minutes would seem more appropriate), but, at the same time, it and Spell Shield should probably require that the Templar knows the spell is being cast (or else it makes it impossible to ambush them with spells).

You might also want to (probably with gnormans input) devise feats that build up on existing class features (like you did with the spell resistance) and make them more unique.

stack
2011-10-26, 07:45 PM
I will add a clause about being aware of the spell. Should it require you to identify the spell? Zealots get +4 to spellcraft anyway...

I was trying to build on thematic abilities. I'll see what else I can come up with.

I'll look at read thoughts and the penalty duration.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dead_Jester
2011-10-27, 02:13 PM
You probably shouldn't have to identify the spell, as that would make the ability much less useful (you'd make it so you have at least 30% chance of your ability not being trigerrable).

However, letting people identify spells and reduce the cooldown could be an interesting idea.

stack
2011-10-27, 02:56 PM
Added the bit about brain drain granting detect thoughts and decreased the duration of the spell reflection penalty.

Anyone have ideas for feats for other classes?

Gnorman
2011-10-27, 04:00 PM
Stack - just chiming in. The zealot's sword feats are really cool, and a great idea. Love the idea of giving spellcasting abilities to non-spellcasting classes in a rational, albeit clever way.

Will evaluate more later.

Mangles
2011-10-27, 11:49 PM
Having really only invested my time in the engineer I'm loath to anylise the rest of them. In regards to the engineer feats. I would take both of these at the earlist opurtunity and than continue to take them with all my extra E6 feats.

stack
2011-10-28, 07:51 AM
Having really only invested my time in the engineer I'm loath to anylise the rest of them. In regards to the engineer feats. I would take both of these at the earlist opurtunity and than continue to take them with all my extra E6 feats.

So, that means they are too good? "If you can't imagine not taking it, it's too good; if you can't imagine taking it, it's not good enough."

The focus is limited in how many times you can take it, but should it be capped at once? I thought having extra level 1 inventions would help to get more use out of them once the level 2 & 3 inventions were in play. No reason to give up your trademark invention just because you level.

I wanted to avoid just adding bigger numbers, plus saves are not equally spread across schools, hence the extra inventions clause.

I'll try to think up some more, focusing on giving new options rather than bigger numbers. I try to imagine myself building the character, then saying "What would be cool to have?"

Dead_Jester
2011-10-28, 08:13 AM
I don't think the engineer feats are too strong, it's just that they are good feats that supplement (and expand upon) the primary play style of the class, like arcane thesis or practiced spellcaster for a caster or power attack for melee builds. Moreover, unlike those feats, our engineer feats don't really improve the abilities, they only let you use them more ofter, which is always good, especially in the late game.

stack
2011-10-28, 09:38 AM
Added two four five seven more, marked as NEW. I really like the zealot, and have built one, so my best ideas have been in that direction. It helps that they lend themselves to it.

Maybe I will look over some TOB abilities to get ideas for the other melee classes.

Iceforge
2011-10-28, 03:18 PM
Well, had a few homebrew ideas in mind myself, figure this is as good a place as any to post them:

Universal:

Archtype Mastery

Prerequisite: Level 6
Your mastery of your archtype is greater than most will ever archive.
Your archtype powers improve as if you had gained a class level or a HD.

Improved Archtype Mastery

Prerequisite: Level 6, Archtype Mastery
Your mastery of your archtype almost makes you a living legend
Your archtype powers improves as if you had gained a class level or a HD. This effect stacks with Archtype Mastery, making your effective level and HD 8 for purposes of archtype powers

Superior Archtype Mastery

Prerequisite: Level 6, Archtype Mastery, Improved Archtype Mastery
Your mastery of your archtype is equal to the most legendary heroes of your archtype.
Your archtype powers improves as if you had gained a class level or HD. This effect stacks with Archtype Mastery and Improved Archtype Mastery, making your effective leve and HDl 9 for purposes of archtype powers.

stack
2011-10-29, 01:27 PM
Seems like virtual HD for archetype powers might be very uneven. Assuming I understand the feats correctly, they will have the following affects for each archetype:

sentinel:
juggernaut - no benefit
Landsknecht -no benefit
Praetorian - no benefit

Gladiator:
Brute - takes twice for 1 rage/day (better to take extra rage)
Master at Arms - no benefit
Pit fighter -no benefit

Zealot:
cavalier - boosts mount level
Reaver - boosts DC for fatigue strikes (take twice for +1, better to take ability focus)
Templar - boosts spell resistance, boosts DC, boosts dispel magic level (very nice)

Hunter:
beastmaster - boosts animal companion level, level 12 for main AC, level 4 for second AC (You would ALWAYS take this)
Peltast - extra skirmish damage
Sniper - no benefit

Brawler: unarmed damage is not an archetype power
Breathstealer - no benefit
Cenobite - extra lay hands healing
Ravager -takes twice for 1 rage/day (better to take extra rage)

Scoudrel:
Phantom - more rounds of invisibility
Silencer - nada
Thief-Acrobat - bigger skill boosts (+1 to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble per feat)

Engineer:
Tinker - take twice for 1 HD for companion

Sage:
occultist - extra blast damage, extra summons HD, extra invocations known. Very nice.
Polyglot - more power words known

Poet:
Skald - inspire courage as lvl 11 bard
Trikster - DC boost

Black Mage:
Hexer - DC boost
Necromancer - more HD of undead (probably worthwhile if it works)

Blue Mage:
Wayfarer - abrupt jaunt CL boost

Green Mage:
Elementalist - elemental companion as if 9th level
Wilding - treated as lvl 11 druid for shifting

Red Mage/White Mage: nadda

(I stopped listing the ones that are unaffected to save time)

SO those feats are great for a few archetypes, mediocre for some more, and useless to many. That doesn't make them bad feats though. This list is many to help assess balance by pointing out the affects they would actually have, which is not immediately obvious when you read them.

Mangles
2011-10-29, 04:37 PM
Beastmaster would be broken with this. Companions are already strong in E6, especially ones at your level let alone ones above it. In fact it might already be a bit over strong because of the three level boost as a moderate power. The additional 3 would be killer. Luckly it doesn't get druid spells or wild shape too.

EDIT: Actually a lot of these get huge bonuses and others get none. The problem isn't the none, they would just take other feats. The problem is those who get the huge bonuses.

stack
2011-10-31, 03:22 PM
Think It would be better to have separate feats for the archetypes to advance them, due to the unevenness.

Good thinking anyway. Other ideas?

Gnorman
2011-10-31, 03:31 PM
Your poet feats are great; perhaps consider adding one that would offer the ability to choose one third-level SLA per day?