PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Writing Advice Sites?

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-24, 11:14 PM
I'm trying to start writing a story that I may or may not try to publish, depending on how brave I'm feeling when its finished, and I was wondering if there were places I could ask for advice on writing professional-grade fiction. Fantasy fiction, specifically.

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-10-25, 06:15 AM
Not exactly what you're asking for, but check out Writing Excuses. (http://www.writingexcuses.com/) Weekly podcasts by some excellent authors on the subject of writing, mostly geared towards scifi and fantasy. It started over 3 years ago, so the amount of material there is humongous.

JediSoth
2011-10-25, 09:56 AM
Michael Stackpole (http://www.stormwolf.com)'s website has a lot of good articles to, and though he's mostly known for Battletech & X-Wing novels, his advice is equally suited to the fantasy genre.

One thing I learned though, is that you have to realize that all of these people offering advice from experience are telling you what works for them. There isn't one tried-and-true method of success. Some authors have outlines and outlines within outlines. Myself, I never could write from an outline. About the only pieces of universal advice I'd heard is "practice" and "read lots".

It took me several short stories and four attempts at a full-length novel before I got something polished enough to publish. I think the stories of the other three are solid enough to publish, but the execution needs work (heck, two of them aren't even finished 1st drafts!). I'll go back and revise & finish them some day, when I feel like it. They'll probably turn out better than my debut novel.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-25, 10:16 AM
I'll admit, most of the advice I'm looking for is in execution, like "How much should I change things like language, architecture and costuming so the fact that I'm basing the setting off the Western Roman Empire isn't too obvious?" or "How can I seamlessly add fantasy-style races to a Western-Roman-Empire-styled setting without just having them stand in for the different barbarian groups, which seems too obvious and simplistic?" or "How would magic affect a Western-Roman-Empire-styled setting?" Things like that. In case you haven't noticed, I'm using the political and economic situations surrounding the Fall of Rome as a basis for the story, though I'm not just writing an alternate history story.