PDA

View Full Version : Outpost (The Lady Pinara) IC Thread

tigerusthegreat
2011-10-26, 03:44 PM
Things in your home country of Castillon were terrible. Plagues, famine, poverty, and constant war, not to mention the economic turmoils of massive national debt and religious tensions are all causing people to be on the edge of revolt. So, when you were given an opportunity to go along with an exploration voyage to a far off land, you took it. If not for the pay and food, then to get away from the streets that were bound to burst into flames any day now.

It seemed like a good idea, at least. You have found a far off land after six months at sea, and nearly running out of food and fresh water. However, that land has decided to rise against you, a storm came up and wrecked your ship, the Lady Pinara, against the coast. Now you, and a group of 100 surviving passengers and crewmen, are stranded in this land indefinitely. Your supplies are slim, you have no food, no tools, and only the equipment you have on you. You, and your fellow survivors, need to find a way to scrape out a living in this land.

Fortunately, the land you are stuck in seems lush and magnificent. Beyond the beaches, there is thick forest. The soil seems good as well. There is no telling what bounty this land may have...or what dangers.

At the moment, nearly a hundred people are slowly gathering on the beach. They are all soaked, and many have only the clothes on their backs. The storm has broken, at least, and the sun is coming out. You can see the broken hulk of your ship in the distance, a good swim away. Salvaging anything from it will be difficult.

The Big Orc
2011-10-26, 04:19 PM
A thin, short figure drags himself and his bag out of the water. Looking around, he notices that a large portion of the crew and passengers were missing.
"Oh goodness, how could this have happened. Well, I better see if I can help others. Oh no, my bow, its all wet, I'm going to have to get this dry! Where is the captain? And what about food? Oh my oh my, this is gonna be a doozy!" The elf will start running around, attempting to find the captain, or someone else who seems to be incharge, muttering little nothings the whole time.

Resden Harl
2011-10-26, 04:42 PM
Markel was always greatful that he never wore armor, especially while on a boat in rocky weather. When the Lady Pinara crashed on the rocks, he knew a quick swim was in the future. As he pulled himself on shore in the early morning hours, it quickly became apparent that not all of the passengers and crew had survived. The bigger question though was: Where is the Mariana and the Saint Naria?

Fortunately, most of his supplies stayed dried to his excellent tailoring job on his backpack, and even his familiar Eric had somehow napped through the whole thing! That damn useless rat.
First things first though.

"Does anyone need assistance?" he calls out, pulling out his medical pack from the bag and looking around for anyone injured. He sends his familiar out to the water, to look for any supplies that they may be able to use and bring in safely.

Markels Spots/Listen
[roll0]
[roll1]

Eric's Spot/Search
[roll2]
[roll3]
Swim
[roll4]

Debatra
2011-10-26, 09:02 PM
Oristar Magiste stood on the shore of this new world, only moderately wet. He'd been lucky so far, but wasn't naive. The Aasimar began looking for anything salvagable. Broken objects and food ruined by the ocean would be no problem, as the power of a Cleric can easily mend and freshen these things.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

tigerusthegreat
2011-10-26, 11:03 PM
All of the senior officers of the ship seem to be missing still. As near as you can tell, nobody in a position of command is present on the beach as of yet.

Markel and his familiar quickly notice there are many people in the water still, struggling to get to the shore. Some do not look like they will make it ashore. Eric seems to be struggling himself in the water, and doesn't seem to find anything.

Oristar begins salvaging for supplies. He quickly finds some salvageable wood from the ship (and some just driftwood), but hasn't found anything else of value yet.

Phosphate
2011-10-27, 08:15 AM
As for anyone else, the trip through the storm (and crash) had a toll on Janus, who was barely able to keep his mind clear while running to the shore for safety.

Now, he was there. Wet, but alive and uninjured. His backpack, safely on his back, with the content in pretty good shape, his crossbow still in one peace and his dear Juno slithering out of one of his front pockets, glimmering with green energy. He left his backpack, quiver and weapon fall to the ground, and commanded his psicrystal thusly:

"My little one. We made it alive, but there is still much to do to reinstate order. Go now, look around for whatever supplies may lie in the wreckage and whomever we may still save from the tides."
"Shalt be done."

Search: [roll1]

tigerusthegreat
2011-10-27, 11:00 AM
Janus can find little in the way of supplies on the beach. Instinct tells him his best chance is on the remains of the ship, which would be a perilous journey at best. He is able to spot some driftwood, but that is about it.

About a third of the people gathered have cuts and wounds, but they all seem more or less okay. Water will swiftly become an issue, as the water you had in casks was none too fresh and was running out. Few of you have had enough of it in the last few days, and what you did have was slimy and growing things in it.

Resden Harl
2011-10-27, 11:19 AM
Hm. Someone has to take action and control until we can find the rest of the crew. thinks Markel as he begins checking the rest of the survivors for any serious injuries. Not finding any, he says Is there any strong swimmers in the group? We must hurry if we are to save as many people as possible." If he finds any willing subjects, he instructs them the best he can to take some floating driftwood to help buoy them, and to head out and attempt to rescue anyone.

If no one wishes to braves the waters, he has other plans. "Anyone who does not feel up for the swim, please let us hurry. Gather any driftwood you can and pile it here" indicating a spot nearby "Any food supplies pile here" another spot "All other supplies or anything useful place here" yet another area nearby.

Spotting the aasimar, Markel calls out "Master Oristar, is there any way you can set up a triage station to help those with injuries?"

Not waiting for his response, he yells one last thing. "Most importantly no one wander off of the beach!"

Phosphate
2011-10-27, 01:13 PM
Seeing the tall robed young man that was giving away orders to everyone, and pretty competently at that, Janus smiled.

"Glad we're organized and work as a group, my little one. Let's lend a hand."

Then, Janus approached the tall man and started talking to him.

"Hello! Now, allow me to introduce myself. I am Janus Esterdi, heir of the Esterdi countship. I may not be the best swimmer, but I have other talents that would prove useful for your rescue missions. Allow me to demonstrate."

CONTROL OBJECT

The driftwood that was still lying aboard the shipreck started floating midair. Soon it was stacked neatly at Janus' feet.

"Well, now. You heard him. Anyone fit to swim shall take one of those and save someone!"

The Big Orc
2011-10-27, 01:27 PM
Not being much of a swimmer, Slyfin runs towards the forest to look for edible berries and fallen branches that could be turned into a fire.

Survival check
[roll0]

Debatra
2011-10-27, 01:29 PM
"I have a weak area healing spell, but it can do little more than save the dying. Get the wounded as close together as you can. The spell emanates in a 50' radius from the caster."

May edit this depending on DM ruling regarding a certain spell (more details in OOC thread).

Resden Harl
2011-10-27, 02:41 PM
"It is a pleasure to meet you Mr. Janus, I believe I've seen you about the ship, using your abilities to help the crew. Can you please lead the gathering of wood and other supplies? Perhaps you can reach some of the supplies further out in the water and bring them in?"

To the cleric, he says "Stablizing the dying is more then sufficient for the moment Priest." he then yells again "Anyone several injured please make your way towards our cleric friend. If you have injuries to severe to move, let someone know so we can help you!"

Lastly, Markel begins to search and ask if anyone has knowledge of the woods that could help him find usable plants.

Markel will attempt to coordinate the recovery efforts to the best of his abilities

Do I notice our ranger friend leaving? spot [roll0]

Debatra
2011-10-27, 02:48 PM
Unless he was hiding for some reason, I don't see why not.

Phosphate
2011-10-27, 03:51 PM
"I will assist them to the best of my ability, as long as I can remain psionically focused, sir. Now, before that, I may know a bit about this part of the world's flora that would help us gather up medicinal plants."

Knowledge (nature) check:

[roll0]

Debatra
2011-10-27, 05:12 PM
Oristar drives his spear into the ground and ties an end of his rope to it. He leads it out to it's full length (50') and uses it to draw out his spell radius.

"Those who are wounded, stay in the circle!"

(still waiting for an answer, tiger)

tigerusthegreat
2011-10-27, 10:02 PM
Markel manages to get about four people willing to brave the waves, and another dozen or so to gather driftwood. They pull a few survivors onto the beach, but none seem willing to go as far as the ship. Soon everyone in sight is ashore. (you also notice the ranger leaving because he's not being sneaky)

Janus, though well knowledged and lucky, is unfamiliar with the particular species of this part of the world. There are rumors, of course, of plants that can heal any ailment, and foodstuffs unlike any you have ever seen that grow easily, but those are rumors at best (sorry but there's no reason you would have any knowledge on this).

Oristar gathers up the wounded, and soon they fill the circle.

Resden Harl
2011-10-27, 11:52 PM
Has anyone contacted our fifth yet...?

Also, what time of day is it?

Once everyone is properly positioned and has had a moments rest, more duties are assigned.

"Anyone who has knowledge of rope tying skills, please assist in building a raft. We will need to head to the ship when possible, there may still be survivors onboard as well as other supplies. Use the gathered wood, I hope we have enough for at least 2 people to fit, preferably more. Head to the wood pile, I will be their shortly."

"Now then, as soon as our ranger friend gets back, I would like anyone who has experience hunting, or who has some knowledge of plants that may be helpful to go with him. We will need food, and fast and if we can find any animals that would be ideal."

Turning to the kineticist, he says "Sir, while I work on the raft, can you find any able bodied, strong men to search with you, in an attempt to find a natural shelter? Caves or heavily covered trees may suffice. We may have to rig up temporary housing until we can find a spot for a settlement. Please do be careful."

Finally, to the cleric,
"Master Oristar, could you continue setting up the aid station, and inventoring any of our supplies we have? The faster we get things organized the better. Please ask anyone remaining from the group to assist you who seems like they could be of help."

Markel then heads to the group gathering by the wood, picking up Eric as he goes and then pulling out his cord of rope.

The Big Orc
2011-10-28, 12:20 AM
Returning with a large armful of wood, and a pocket full of any berries Slyfin could find. He will set up a fire and light it with his flint and steel. After setting his bow, arrows and armor near the fire, but not close enough that they might light themselves.

Afterwards, he will try to predict up coming weather
Survival [roll0]
according to PHB, if I get 15, I should be able to predict the next 24 hours, and for every 5 over that, I should be able to predict an additional 24 hours

Also, with my previous survival roll, how many edible berries did I find?

Phosphate
2011-10-28, 10:18 AM
Alas, order was restored. The thought that even the number of victims drifting off in the waves was unknown saddened Janus, but there was nothing he could do in that regard. Now, the living were his priority.

He heard the tall young man asking him to gather up a group and go find shelter, and responded thusly.

"That is a task that is to be done, but my efforts may be needed here as well. Luckily, there is a solution."
Saying that, Janus released his psicrystal, who, using his tiny spidery legs, began striding towards the woods.
"Fair travelers, fellow Castillonians, brothers! Our fate has been dire and you deserve respite, but there is much to be done at the moment. I would request of any of you who are uninjured, unconcerned with any other tasks and consider themselves fit enough to fight off eventual wild beasts to follow that moving crystal into the woods. All you have to do is guard him. If he finds shelter, he will communicate telepathically with me stating that. Furthermore, if you find yourselves in a dangerous conjecture, he will also warn us so we could come to your aid. Go now!"

Then, turning back to the people dragging pieces of the ship from the shore:
"I may not be the strongest person ever, but I know my ways. Skate!"
Janus started pushing around large pieces of wood, made slippery by his power.

Debatra
2011-10-28, 02:47 PM
Remember before this game started, I reserved the right to change my prepared spells based on what sort of start we got off to? I'm doing that now.

After casting his healing spell, Oristar will gather anyone who isn't going with the Psicrystal. "Any who are able, gather barrels, buckets, waterskins! Anything that can hold water should be filled from the ocean! I can cleanse it so we can drink safely!"

Before proceeding with said cleansing, the Aasimar will take stock of the water so as not to mix the fruit of his casting with any unaffected salt water.

tigerusthegreat
2011-10-29, 03:15 PM
It is late afternoon (2-3 O'clock). It is also summer.

Slyfin thinks that the next day or so will be clear. He also found enough berries for one person to survive for a day comfortably, maybe enough for two to split with some hunger pains.

A handful of survivors follow Janus's psicrystal into the forest, armed with clubs of wood.

The people gather up a lot of water, some in partially broken casks, others in waterskins, jugs, bottles, boots. The purification cleans about 24 gallons of water (assuming you cast it once).

Supplies gathered so far:
Pile of driftwood
Several lengths of broken and waterlogged ropes (roughly enough to make one 50ft section of rope if repaired)
One ration of berries.
24 gallons of pure water in a variety of containers.

Resden Harl
2011-10-30, 05:37 PM
Is there any sailors among the survivors?

Realizing that it is getting late, perhaps the recovery of supplies from the ship will have to wait till tomorrow.

"Let us work on this raft, see if we can not get a seaworthy craft that we can use."

Markel then awaits the return of the psicrystal to see what is discovered.

While waiting, he asks Slyfin "Good ranger, is it possible for us to construct some sort of shelter in our time remaining in the day?"

After that conversation, he asks the survivors if any have warrior training so a watch schedule can be set up.

The Big Orc
2011-10-30, 06:48 PM
"That depends on how quickly we can get the shelter up, how many we need to shelter, the complexity of the shelter, etc etc. If we just do a basic shelter, we should have no problem. We need either blankets, the sails from the ship, the tarpaulin used to cover the storage in a storm or really really big leaves and long wooden poles."

Debatra
2011-10-30, 07:22 PM
(explanation of all this in OOC thread)

The six people who are most wounded will be given Fast Healing 1 for one minute.

Oristar casts Unseen Servant, ordering it to scavenge the ocean for supplies. It will prioritize things that appear to have little to no damage. It will be sure to keep everything it retrieves in a pile, seperate from the existing ones. (Two US's, if they can exist simultaneously. If not, he casts the other after the 3-hour duration expires.) That being done, he turns his attention to the rope pieces. A Mending spell later and he leaves an undamaged rope in its place.

He then passes water around to the 24 most wounded, giving them a gallon each and telling them to drink. He'll collect the containers for refilling after a few minutes.

Finally, this post catches up with the present, and Oristar turns to Markel. "I can help with that in a few ways. I have a spell that allows me to remain alert and ready, even while asleep. Unfortunately, it only works on its caster. I can also divine short periods of the future. Give me a few minutes, and I'll begin."

With that, he goes around collecting the water containers to refill them. After another casting of Purify Food and Drink, he heads back to their gathering point and takes out a small set of bones covered in strange markings. He seems to enter a trance, lasting only a few seconds.

tigerusthegreat
2011-10-30, 08:13 PM
Oristar heals several of the most wounded, most of which are former sailors and are thankful for it. They start to look for more broken rope and flotsam. None seem eager to brave the waves to get to the ship to recover what is there.

(It's unlikely that people would be able to drink a gallon each at a time, but spreading it around the whole hundred, with the most wounded getting their fill first would be likely, so that's what happens).

Oristar casts his Omen of Peril spell, and sees a dark winged figure obscuring the sun.

Markel's psicrystal returns, along with its handful of followers. They bring back a dead deer, ready to be butchered. The psicrystal reports seeing a hunter that the followers apparently didn't see. It was hiding and difficult to discern what kind of being it was, but it was armed and watching them in more than one spot.

Supplies gathered so far:
Pile of driftwood
One 50ft hemp rope recently repaired by magic
One ration of berries.
One Dead Deer (85 pounds of meat, and other goodies if butchered)
24 gallons of pure water in a variety of containers (since you have the resources to fulfill daily water needs, this doesn't matter unless you stop casting purify water)
Pile of debris gathered by Unseen Servants

Debatra
2011-10-30, 09:12 PM
How are we expected to slaughter something that's already dead? :smallamused:

Does anyone know what book skinning an animal is covered in? It's a Survival skill, right?

tigerusthegreat
2011-10-30, 09:48 PM
(undead deer).

Butchering can be a survival check or a profession (butcher) check.

Debatra
2011-10-30, 10:59 PM
I have Profession (Cook). Close enough?

Oristar stands and turns to the group at large. "Don't tuck in just yet. Between your crystal's report of this watcher and my vision, we should expect trouble within the hour. I've used most of my spells today, but I still have a few decent tricks. Stay close to me."

(translation: I have a 1/day aura that gives DR 1/good to me and allies within 30'. Also grants Align Weapon (Evil))

Resden Harl
2011-10-30, 11:48 PM
Tiger, I personally have 50 ft of rope as well in my pack that should be mostly usable

After hearing all the information, Markel continues to dictate assignments.

To the psion and his crystal, "Thank you for all your hard work. This deer should help keep the spirits up of the people, and encourages me into thinking we can get enough food to survive until we can get some sort of crops going."

He provides the cleric with similar praise.

Directed at the ranger, he says"Something basic for the women, children, and wounded will suffice until we can scavenge more supplies. Thank you for your accurate assessment."

Lastly, he speaks to everyone gathered, yelling so all can hear him.

"My fellow countryman, we have been tasked with establishing a colony for our great land. Despite losing track of the other settlers, and this unfortunate storm, I believe we all have it in us to perserve in this mission, and build a glorious settlement for all. Please do not despair, this will all work out! But for now, survival.

Starting tomorrow, we will begin recovery efforts on the ship. Our friend the cleric has already used the power of the gods to begin scavenging, healing, and supplying us and this work shall continue every day. But we can not rely on that alone. I ask that any that are comfortable to brave a raft with myself tomorrow, in attempt to gather more supplies from the Pinara.

Those who remain at shore shall not stay idle. Hunting, gathering of berries, location of a settlement spot, and temporary housing all needs to be done. I hope we all can pull our far share of work.

For now however, let us settle in for the night. Master cleric, if you and our kineticist could stay by the shore and continue gathering what supplies you can, I believe that slyfin and myself will take some of the healthier men to attempt and construct some shelters for the night. No one is to wander off alone for any means at all, even for use of the latrine. We do not know this land, and I would not risk injury to any of our number at this crucial time."

Are there any questions? If not, then lets begin we have only a few short hours to day time"

Debatra
2011-10-31, 02:18 AM
Oristar approaches the pile his Unseen Servants gathered, and begins taking stock of the debris. He had an idea, and almost anything in this pile could help pull it off.

The Big Orc
2011-10-31, 01:45 PM
Slyfin

Speaking to Markel quietly, "I do not know what aid I would really be in constructing shelters. While I could easily build small temporary ones for 1 or 2 people, I do not have the knowledge required to build them for a hundred. Allow me to explore into the woods, I might be able to find some plains were we could settle without destroying the forest" Slyfin grins slightly, "I swear I would be back by nightfall."

tigerusthegreat
2011-10-31, 11:48 PM
The debris of the Unseen Servant's pile is mostly junk, but there are several undamaged sections of rope, and two large iron hooks, as well as a slightly damaged section of sail, and a few large pieces of broken barrel.

Phosphate
2011-11-01, 01:01 AM
"Well done, my little one. Didn't you notice anything else of the hiding person while you were away?"
"No, my liege. For he was out of sight, his mind obscured by plant matter, a mosaic of interferences for my otherwise clarity."
"Don't be too hard on yourself, Juno."

Then to Markel: "You're welcome, my Juno did do his best. Now, I may not risk gathering objects any longer, since that would expend the psionic focus I probably need to fight whatever peril will befall upon us."

To the ranger: "I don't see a problem with you leaving, but don't venture too far, as we may need you here in case we are attacked. I ask you to take my psicrystal with you. In case we are attacked, I will telepathically tell him to climb on your left shoulder. Should that happen, you will return here as swiftly as possible. Understood?"

To the cleric: "I would like to, when night falls, stay watch with you. Not much of a sleeper anyway."

The Big Orc
2011-11-01, 01:20 AM
Slyfin grins then quickly turns towards the treeline and takes off at a run, pausing at the treeline to wait for the psicrystal, then start a slow walk, looking for tracks and attempting to find a large clear area. He will keep his bow in hand, with an arrow nocked, ready to fire should he see a threat or something that could be easily carried and eaten.

Survival to find tracks/read the forest to figure out where a clear area might be
[roll0] (forgot about my synergy bonus earlier)

Spot
[roll1]

Listen
[roll2]

Knowledge Nature
[roll3]

Resden Harl
2011-11-01, 08:57 AM
Markel wishes luck upon slyfin and the crystal, and begins his work
Ouch a nat 1 on the survival. That sucks :smalleek:

Taking stock of the more able bodied men and sailors, he quickly jots down some notes (OOC: i have ink and parchment) about their various skills, strengths, and any training as soldiers/guards.

Can i get a list of any warriors/fighters in the group, as well as sailors and people with ranks in profession (sailing), profession (rope typing), profession (cooking/butcher), profession (carpentry), and profession (farmer)? just raw numbers will work

Debatra
2011-11-01, 01:32 PM
+13 Profession (Cook) modifier

I also have a Spell that temporarily grants me Skill Focus: Craft (Choose at time of casting). (well, that's a secondary effect of one of the possible main ones; it just happens to be the one he intends to use for the 'idea' above)

He's also good with ranged attacks.

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-01, 10:44 PM
Slyfin heads out, and gets thoroughly turned around in the forest. The good news is he finds a game trail that seems to be frequented by deer, but the bad news is he isn't sure where he is in relation to the main camp. A little beyond the game trail is a sizable clearing (enough for a large encampment).

Of the survivors there are:
Ten farmers
Five Sailors
Twenty Professional Craftsmen of various types (leaving this vague at the moment, suffice it to say, anything a village would need, at least one carpenter, one butcher/cook)
Fifteen skilled woodsmen
Five administrative officials (clerks and governmental types)
Twenty trained soldiers (both former veterans and current)
Twenty Five fairly unskilled laborers
(not including PCs)

The Big Orc
2011-11-01, 10:52 PM
Bloody hell, I have no idea how I got here. Thankfully, I can track my own steps back. And maybe this psicrystal can help me find my way back. Slyfin takes a look at the crystal. "So, can you help me get back?"

Phosphate
2011-11-02, 12:32 AM
The psicrystal motions up and down on its spidery legs.

Within 10 miles of its owner, the psicrystal and psion know exactly where each other are.

He then scrapes the dirt, writing in common:

"Right now or later?"

The Big Orc
2011-11-02, 12:44 AM
"I need to get back now, then be able to lead everyone back here."

Phosphate
2011-11-02, 08:23 AM
The psicrystal started moving in a straight line back towards the settlement.

Resden Harl
2011-11-02, 10:16 AM
Of the survivors there are:
Ten farmers
Five Sailors
Twenty Professional Craftsmen of various types (leaving this vague at the moment, suffice it to say, anything a village would need, at least one carpenter, one butcher/cook)
Fifteen skilled woodsmen
Five administrative officials (clerks and governmental types)
Twenty trained soldiers (both former veterans and current)
Twenty Five fairly unskilled laborers
(not including PCs)

Having gathered his information about who is available, Markel begins writing up assignments:

To the farmers, he asks if they think the soil here will be usable for crops, and if so which ones would be best that they had on board

The five sailors he instructs to use their rope to begin lashing together the aforementioned raft, to be used at first light. He wants it as big as possible, but does not want safety of those aboard to be compromised. If they can save any rope to tie supplies onto the raft for the return trip that would be a plus. He does grab one sailor and has the man follow him.

He takes the sailor to the unskilled laborers, and has him instruct the individuals on how to row properly and in rythm (this will take some practice, but the sooner the better)

Of the craftsmen, he asks each of them if they have all the tools they need to do their job, and if not to have them make a list of what else they need that was on the boat, what can be fashioned from the supplies available, and where the supplies should be located on the shipwreck. In addition, he asks each of them to keep on eye on the other individuals, to see if any one else has talents that can be used to assist them at a later date. He does have the butcher get to work on the carcass, asking a woodsman to light a fire.

With the soldiers, he sets up a night and day watch schedule. There are four 6 hour shifts of gaurd duty that will be set up, and at night there will be a PC awake for 2 hours of the night shift, as well as at least one PC in camp if at all possible at all times. During the day, guard duty consists of also watching the sea, to keep an eye out for any ships.

He splits the administrators up, one for each group to take notes and write down requests or suggestions that anyone may have, to be brought to Markel later that night.

Lastly, Markel assigns 2 woodsmen to rummage through the piles of wood, and place what can not be used into a separate pile, to be used as fire wood. He goes with the rest of the woodsmen, asking the psion to come with him, to the outskirts of the wood (staying in sight of camp) and have them look at the trees, to see which ones are good for fire wood, construction etc.

He asks that Oristar stay at camp, doing whatever he can to help out

Phosphate
2011-11-02, 11:47 AM
Janus agrees to follow Markel into the outskirts, but also notes that he is a fairly skilled sailor and would like to help with the construction of the raft afterwards.

Contingency

On Markel's next post, if he were to ask Janus anything about which trees are good for bonfires, this check result shall be used:

Knowledge (Nature)
[roll]1d20+8[roll]

Phosphate
2011-11-02, 11:49 AM
Again...

[roll0]

Debatra
2011-11-02, 03:12 PM
Oristar will take the barrel pieces and about 5lbs(depends how much is there) of the (usable) wood, telling the people assigned to it that he had some ideas that could make life easier for them all once he could regain his spells.

Resden Harl
2011-11-03, 08:54 AM
Reserved. Are we waiting on tiger to give a response or something else?

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-03, 09:53 AM
Reserved. Are we waiting on tiger to give a response or something else?

Waiting on Phosphate to respond with a location on the psicrystal and owner being able to sense each other in the rulebooks, as I am unable to find it, and it matters for the update (since Slyfin will be following the crystal back).

The Big Orc
2011-11-03, 10:16 AM
If it makes it easier, I could just use the survival check I rolled to track my own footsteps back, I rolled a 23 but said I would take 10 (giving me a 20) if that was allowed, according to the PHB the max I should need to track myself back is 20, medium sized creature +0 modifier, +1 for every 24hours since the tracks were made so +0, there should not have been any rain or snow so +0, I didnt hide my trail +0, there is depending on the lighting +6 if it is overcast of a moonless night +3 if I am going by moonlight or if there is fog/precipitation (of this last category only 1 of the two modifiers can be added, +6 or +3)

Then pick one of the following depending on terrain and add modifiers
Very soft ground dc 5
Soft ground dc 10
Firm ground dc 15
Hard ground dc 20

Unlikely that a forest would be hard ground since that would make it very difficult for plants too take root.

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-03, 03:12 PM
(going to move this along as suggested)

Slyfin slowly manages to make his way back to the camp. After a few hours of careful pathfinding, he makes it back. He guesses that the game trail and clearing are about four miles from the camp, and he believes he can make it back there.

The farmers tell Markel that the soil of the forest isn't very good for the crops they know, but it might get better the further inland, or there might be something that can be grown in this land that is suited to it (the trees here at least seem to grow well in it). They give you names of a dozen seeds you don't know, and their descriptions of them aren't great. The seeds should be in canvas bags in the ships hold, but since the wreck there's no guarantee that they are still there, and no telling what submersion in water for a day or so would do to their long-term storage. It is late in the year for most of them to be planted and harvested before winter.

The sailors begin working on a raft, and after about three hours they have a decent one put together. There's no good guess to its seaworthiness as it was built using scrap and driftwood instead of logs or proper boards, but wood floats at least.

The unskilled laborers grumble about being made to row with little food in their stomachs, but they do it.

None of the craftsmen have the right tools they need. There were several sets of crafting tools, specialized tools, and a bunch of general stuff in the hold of the ship towards the back. Some of it was stored in a chest. The alchemist says he had a crate of potions in the back part of the hold as well.

The woodsmen get a bonfire lit, and the butcher starts her work on the carcass. One of the craftswomen says she can tan the hides if she had salt and a few chemicals that can be made from common herbs. They shouldn't be hard to find in the forest, or there should be some in a chest on the ship.

The administrators and guards are set up on their duties. The woodsmen start seperating the piles (saddly the useable wood pile is very small). The trees here are different than those at home, but the woodsman thinks he knows which are good for what, pointing out the appropriate trees. He doesn't seem fully sure, but time will tell.

Janus corrects the woodsman's judgement on one or two of thre trees, increasing your chances of chopping the right ones. If only you had proper tools.

Oristar hoards a good chunk of useable wood.

It is almost dusk.

Debatra
2011-11-03, 03:21 PM
Oristar decides he can probably make due with less considering how little there is and returns all but 2lbs to the usable wood pile. With another thought, he puts the rest back as well. It would be no use to him without the proper spells.

He goes over to help the butcher with the deer.
Profession (Cook) [roll0]

The Big Orc
2011-11-03, 03:39 PM
"Markel! I found a large clearing, more than large enough for our entire group around 4 miles into the forest. I am certain I can lead us back if you can gather everyone up. A clearing makes for a much better camp than a beach."

Resden Harl
2011-11-03, 09:48 PM
Markel makes notes of what he has learned, and then turns to the ranger after he stumbles back onto camp.

"Wonderful news, thank you Slyfin! But I think we shall stay here for the night. I would feel better about all of us by the fire, and stumbling around in the dark trying to set up what little camp we have may not be the best idea."

how much food is oristar able to make? are we able to eak out one good meal for everyone tonight?

He sends some of the woodsmen out to look for wood that has been broken off trees or logs, and to bring what they can back before dusk. The ranger he asks to go with them, and to keep an eye out for any trouble.

Ideally, Markel wants everyone who will be working very hard tomorrow (the sailors/rowers) to have a full meal. Markel himself will take half rations or none at all, until everyone else has had a good hunk of meat.

Markel then asks the sailors the approximate layout of the ship, and where they think most of the supplies will be that the other people have mentioned.

He finally assures everyone that they have all done a wonderful job so far, and encourages them to stay close to the fire, hoping to keep them calm, spirits high, and confidence going that they will pull through. No more work will be done tonight aside from wood gathering/guard duty.

Turning to the rest of the party, he says Does anyone have words of encouragment, or perhaps a grace before dinner? Anything to lift our peoples spirits would be most welcome.

The Big Orc
2011-11-03, 10:09 PM
One hundred of us and he wants to reassure us with prayer. Mentioning that that is the reason is probably detrimental to reassurance, Slyfin grins, smiling at the idea that a higher power would interfere with mortals. Popping a few of the berries he collected earlier into his mouth, "Well, if you are looking for reassurances I don't think I am the one to give them. If you are looking for a quick statement of fact, we need to post some watches to ensure that we aren't eaten by local wildlife. I also think we shouldn't burn so much of the wood we have gathered. Once we are at the clearing in found earlier, we will need as much as we can so that we might start building permanent shelter. We may be shipwrecked and out of touch with the other ships but we still need to perform the duties we were hired to do out here. And if we keep burning wood, we are going to need to cut down some trees and personally I am against the defamation of nature."

Debatra
2011-11-03, 10:43 PM
"I don't like wasting our little resources, but I don't think wood will be a problem. Needless waste is plain stupid, but I'm more against dying unless we find a ridiculously large diamond deposit nearby."

We have 100 people, and a handful of PCs.

We have ONE deer.

You tell me.

Though while we're talking about food, Oristar managed to scavenge (read: had in his inventory when we started this game) about 5lbs of meat.

Phosphate
2011-11-04, 07:48 AM
My mistake, there was something of that effect about psicrystals, but they get it at a much higher level.

(OOC: sorry, I can't post too much right now, just some fast actions)

Janus inspects the raft made by the sailors to make sure it is secure
Profession (Sailor):

[roll0]

He also tells the laborers that they can borrow his masterwork artisan tools anytime they want, and asks to be the first on night watch.

Resden Harl
2011-11-04, 09:42 AM
To the ranger and cleric Markel says "I am as loathe to waste as you are, but these pieces of driftwood would make terrible places of residence. We used most of the good wood on the raft, which we can break down later on. But the supplies on the Lady Pinara are FAR more needed then some hunks of wood. If we can get some of the woodsmen axes wood clearly wont be a problem. If it makes you feel better Slyfin, we will focus on the dead trees in the woods for now, but I rate our survival above that of parts of the woods. If you would like we can discuss this further in private."

"For now, lets focus on getting some sleep. I have already talked to the individuals with military training, and have set up a guard schedule as well" OOC: scroll up, you will see me doing so

OOC
Tiger said that we could get 80 some odd pounds of meat from the deer, which is enough for most everyone. Slyfin should be able to scavenge enough for himself, and then if the cleric creates food we shuold be good for one meal

Debatra
2011-11-05, 12:06 AM
"I'll go with the raft group. Are there any warded containers we should be made aware of?"

OOC:
My sheet already has tomorrow's spells. It should be noted that as of now, I have Detect Thoughts (1/1), Bonefiddle (1/1), Endure Elements 1/1) and Vigilant Slumber (1/1) still prepared.

(unless we're prepared to rest for the night, in which case Vigilant Slumber will be cast right before Oristar takes a spot in the watch as goes to sleep)

Condition for awakening: if any creature not in our group comes within my field of view.

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-05, 12:42 AM
The deer gets butchered, cooked and eaten.

The woodsmen gather up what scrap wood they can. While the sailors refresh your mind of the layout of the ship before it was wrecked.

Janus finds nothing wrong with the raft, save it was made with less than ideal materials.

Resden Harl
2011-11-05, 12:17 PM
OOC: alright I think we are ready for the night then. How many people did not get a full meal?

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-05, 02:22 PM
OOC: alright I think we are ready for the night then. How many people did not get a full meal?

90lbs of food means everyone got a full belly (or thereabouts). Theey aren't stuffed but aren't in danger of starving

The Big Orc
2011-11-05, 02:30 PM
Having eaten his fill, Slyfin will go to the back of the crowd around the fire and use his leather armor as a pillow for the night.

Resden Harl
2011-11-05, 03:08 PM
Markel makes one last sweep making sure that the guards are wary, and telling them to not be afraid to wake him. But he will be staying up with the first watch, so that he can get enough unrested sleep and be able to get his spells ready.

Is everyone ok with taking a two hour watch? Ill let oristar take the last one so he can get his spells, with psion and ranger in the middle.

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-06, 09:07 PM
The night passes quickly. The morning sun rises over the dismal camp with no apparent occurrences through the night.

The Big Orc
2011-11-06, 09:14 PM
As he awakens, Slyfin will put his armor back on. Walking over to Markel, "I think it is time to bring everyone to the clearing I found," then at the top of his voice to the rest of the group, "Who ever is not involved in the salvage attempt at the ship, follow me to were we will make our permanent camp. I will come back for those who are doing salvage work once preparations have commenced."

Resden Harl
2011-11-07, 10:26 AM
Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Markel says to the ranger "Good idea, please keep an eye out for danger though. I would like to keep a couple guards and administrators here to protect the salvage efforts, and make notes of what we can salvage."

Turning to the cleric and psion, he asks which of them wishes to stay on shore, and which wants to go Slyfin. After getting a response, he heads to the raft with the sailors and rowers, getting ready to launch off to the wreck.

OOC
Havent changed my spells yet, but they will be changed soon

Debatra
2011-11-07, 10:37 AM
"I'll go on the raft. Oh, and make sure these pieces of barrel stay here, and that the people drink what we have before leaving. I'll be sure to purify a new batch when we get back to shore."

Also, note that I had 50' of silk rope and 5lbs of meat that are no longer on my sheet due to being added to our supplies.

Resden Harl
2011-11-07, 09:35 PM
So they are rowing to the boat...?

Phosphate
2011-11-08, 07:46 AM
Janus agrees to let the cleric aboard the raft, and follows everyone else into the clearing.

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-10, 09:03 PM
The sailors get the raft out to the wreck easily enough. The water there is very murky, and it seems that a good hunk of the ship is missing.

I need search, spot, and swim checks from everyone on the raft.

And spot and listen checks for those in the forest.

The Big Orc
2011-11-10, 09:05 PM
presumably not the people in the forest on there way to the clearing?

Debatra
2011-11-10, 11:07 PM
Search: Taking 20 for 24
Swim: Taking 10 for 11

Also, Detect Magic once on the ship.

Resden Harl
2011-11-11, 12:44 PM
Search [roll0]
spot [roll1]
Swim [roll2]

On a smart phone hope those modifiers are right. My rat is with me as well, but not sure on his modifiers either

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-13, 05:16 PM
The divers find four large, locked chests in the wreckage. As they are pulled onto the raft, they leak saltwater. One of them is leaking a pale yellow liquid instead of the normal clear/blue seawater.

Additionally, a dozen heavy sacks are found, a torn one indicates that there are potatoes in at least some of them. There is also three or four more smashed crates whose contents have largely washed away.

Oristar finds the only magic he senses is coming from the leaking chest. There are about a dozen auras inside, and one coming from the leaking water as well.

Debatra
2011-11-13, 06:39 PM
Spellcraft

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-14, 11:31 AM
The yellow liquid pouring out is a transmutation effect, but a fairly weak one.

Inside are Five conjuration effects, two evocation effects, ten abjuration effects, and three transmutation effects.

Debatra
2011-11-14, 07:22 PM
Oristar fills a vial with the yellow liquid. If nothing happens to the vial, he fills nine more. He then casts Mending on the Chest.

Resden Harl
2011-11-14, 07:53 PM
Markel smiles at their good luck in finding what appear to be potions. He looks around to see if there is anything else in containers, and then instructs the sailors to cut the ropes and try and salvage any of the sails

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-14, 08:25 PM
Oristar fills a vial with the yellow liquid. If nothing happens to the vial, he fills nine more. He then casts Mending on the Chest.

Are you trying to avoid contacting the liquid? If so make a dex check, and you will need one for each vial as well.

Debatra
2011-11-14, 08:45 PM
[roll0] +1 each

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-14, 10:39 PM
Oristar manages to fill two vials, but while filling the third, splashes yellow liquid all over his hands. Whereever the liquid touches, large painful blisters pop up. His hands feel like they are on fire.

Debatra
2011-11-14, 11:40 PM
How much damage?

In all likelyhood, but not guaranteed, spontaneously cast Cure Light Wounds from Omen of Peril. [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-14, 11:49 PM
It has dealt 5 points of damage to your hands. The sores are painful and make it difficult to use your hands.

Debatra
2011-11-14, 11:56 PM
Yeah, definitely cast it then.

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-15, 12:01 AM
The blisters disappear once the healing effects take hold. The pain had been almost unbearable, and that was only after brief contact with the yellow water.

Debatra
2011-11-15, 12:17 AM
Anyway, cast Mending on the chest as originally planned, then help out with gathering other supplies.

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-18, 12:53 AM
The chest stops leaking after it is mended.

Resden Harl
2011-11-20, 04:20 PM
Markel instructs eveyrone to load the boat the best they can. Him and Eric are going to stay on board along with any volunteers to keep looking for supplies

how many search/spots would you like?

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-20, 06:28 PM
(just give me 3-4 more, and that'll be about all you'll find.)

Debatra
2011-11-20, 06:31 PM
Search: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-21, 10:42 PM
Just to keep this going:

You search the rest of the wreck thoroughly, but only fine five bottles of wine that would have floated away if it weren't for them getting jammed into the ribs of the ship.

Resden Harl
2011-11-21, 10:49 PM
Markel gets the bottles (celebrations may be in order!) and looks to see if there is any way to salvalge the sails or ropes while he waits for the raft to return

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-24, 07:41 PM
It looks like you have salvaged all the rope and sails that are left intact enough to use, or even to piece together. The rest has been claimed by the sea. The raft brings you back to the beach.

Debatra
2011-11-27, 08:45 PM
Okay... so skip to the clearing if we made it back alright?

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-27, 08:58 PM
You make it back to the clearing safely.

The Big Orc
2011-11-27, 10:49 PM
Once the first group of people led by Slyfin get to the clearing, he will task half of the people with him to start cutting enough wood so that once it becomes dark they can create 4 medium sized fires with enough extra wood to last the whole night. He will lead the other half in creating non permanent shelters.

Debatra
2011-11-28, 12:11 AM
Oristar will cast Substitute Domain to swap out Knowledge Domaiin for Craft Domain. (10 min casting time; lasts 3 days).

Selecting Craft (Woodwork) for Skill Focus given by Granted Power.

Will meditate for 15min to prepare Animate Rope and Wood Shape as Domain Spells.

After that's done, Oristar will assist in the building of shelters, casting Fox's Cunning on himself right before the first Craft roll, as well as Mending (up to 3/day) Animate Rope (1/day) and Wood Shape (1/day) as needed.

tigerusthegreat
2011-11-28, 09:40 PM
Over the course of a week you build up the community, getting the survivors into group shelters. There's much more work to be done, but the survivors are able to sustain themselves without your direct involvement.

Several nights ago you noticed smoke rising on the horizon. It might be important.

The Farmers have also asked you find samples of the local plantlife farther afield than the hunters are willing to go at this time.

One of the hunters noticed something big and nasty in the forest. It chased him for some time, screaming and snarling. He is worried it will be a danger to the community.

What do you do?

Outpost Status:
Several Buildings for Shelter/Communal Living
Access to Food and Water

Debatra
2011-12-05, 02:16 PM
I vote we look into this "big and nasty" thing.

The Big Orc
2011-12-05, 03:56 PM
"Our food supplies are the most important. We should help the farmers by finding more examples of wildlife further afield."

Debatra
2011-12-05, 03:59 PM
"Well, that would be your department. I don't know much about plants."

(even if that doesn't make any sense because I'd supposedly need to to know how to cook)

tigerusthegreat
2011-12-10, 01:55 PM
The survivors seem to think the big and nasty thing is a big threat to the survival of the village.

tigerusthegreat
2012-01-10, 07:16 PM
*poking the dead thread*

tigerusthegreat
2012-01-15, 04:53 AM
Looks like this game is dead/dying. If anyone is interested in combining together with other outpost survivors, I can roll the three threads into one, just let me know by reply here if you want to, and I will work you in.

Debatra
2012-01-15, 09:39 AM
Why not just send us after the "big nasty thing" and see what happens?

tigerusthegreat
2012-01-20, 11:21 AM
If you want, I will roll you into this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12565130#post12565130)

Your reason can be you went after the big nasty thing, the rest of your party were killed and you were badly injured. You were found by the lizards, who tended your wounds.

Debatra
2012-01-20, 12:46 PM
I'll take it.