PDA

View Full Version : "Black Cats and Goblins on Halloween Night!" [Templates]

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-26, 11:32 PM
Well, everyone else getting festive and in the mood has gotten me to follow suite. And since I mentioned both templates in another thread (templates that bring icons of the Horror industry to the gaming table), here they are remade and updated for 3.PF. Enjoy.

Boogeyman

http://www.fearnet.com/fearnetImages/imYwwlo9+EOqsjUb28Ma3HWQ==.JPG

"I'm the sheriff of this town and it's my duty to keep the people safe and first step of that is making sure no one goes near the Coldpiece manor. The house has been empty for years, ever since the family were killed that night, but only the adults have enough brains to stay away. They call the place evil and haunted, but I know better than that. Still, when two of our own show up dead it's regular sense to give the place a wide berth. I almost believed all that nonsense about the youngest Coldpiece haunting the halls, getting vengeance on all who trespass. Ha; nothing but ghost stories.

I don't take an ear to the gossip, but I'll admit the Coldpiece's were a queer bunch. Hell, I'll go as far to say they may have been degenerates, but they didn't deserve what was done to 'em. Wouldn't be surprised if it was those goblins that started holing up there three months ago. Now that's all we needed on top of the regular hardships of a small, out of the way place like us. But it was lucky for us that those adventurers showed up when they did and volunteered to clear the place out.

Mind you, that was about a week ago. Smithson said he saw someone inside move by one of the windows earlier this morning, so I guess it's more drawn out than any of us thought. I'm probably worrying over nothing..."

In a world of wizards, dragons and mighty gods, many forget that sometimes the most horrific of monsters can be birthed from the most mundane of sources. They sharpen their swords and shine their shields to prepare for an incursion of Orcs or to weather the shambling hordes of the magically animated dead but never do they turn an eye back to their own homes, even as death walks the streets.

A Boogeyman is a creature that was once a normal, righteous soul like any other but has become a dark storm of hatred, rage and twisted morality. Most start out as individuals who find themselves at a place of responsibility or moral superiority over the common lives of folks. They may be an agent of justice or a soldier or a preacher or even a simple hunter for a village. But somewhere down the line they become possessed by a dark force that only gains control when something that deeply violates their sense of justice occurs. Once this internal barrier is shattered they become transformed; knowing only that former sense of righteousness that is bent and twisted out of shape as they commit more and more gruesome acts in the name of it. This in of itself is something to fear, but a simple maniac is quickly rooted out and put down like the mad dog they are.

Such is not the case with a Boogeyman. The vile presence that now drives them suffuses their body and reinforces it, making them as difficult to permanently dispatch as any Troll. They use darkness and a general solitary nature to their advantage, abandoning their old lives to stealthy begin wracking up a grizzly body count. A Boogeyman never stops once its quarry is found, hunting them down without mercy and dispatching them with extreme prejudice.

As time passes, the Boogeyman's morality and understanding of right and wrong become further and further degraded. Where at the beginning they may have limited their victims to those directly associated with the cause of their loss of humanity they now hunt any who violate their core righteousness in even the most vague and detached ways.

Evil never truly dies and what chills the bones is that the actions and eventual death of a Boogeyman may end with the birth of yet another....

Sample Boogeyman

Arthur Mason, "The Haunt of Greenwood" CR 3

Human Fighter 4
NE Medium humanoid (Human)
Init +5; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +1
DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 11, flat-footed 15 (+2 Armor, +1 Dex, +3 Natural Armor)
Hp 60 (4d10+20)
Fort +10, Ref +2, Will +2
Defensive Traits Evil Never Dies, Fast Healing 5 Immune Disease, Fear effects, Mind-affecting Effects, Necromatic Effects, Nonlethal Damage, Paralysis, Poison, and Sleep effects .
OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.
Melee Masterwork Shortsword +9 (1d6+5)
STATISTICS
Str 21, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +4; CMB +9; CMD 20
Feats Combat Reflexes, Great Fortitude (B), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Shortsword), Toughness
Skills Intimidate +16 , Stealth +11 , Survival +5
Languages Common
SQ Armor Training
Gear Leather Armor and Masterwork Shortsword

Special Abilities

Corner of the Eye (Su)
The Haunt of Greenwood may use the spell Dimension Door as a spell-like ability once every 2d10 minutes. He may only use this ability if he is not being currently observed by a creature with an Intelligence score of 2 or greater and may only designate an unobserved area as the destination for this ability.

Evil Never Dies (Su)
The Haunt of Greenwood only dies when his negative hit point total is equal to twice his Constitution score. When he reaches a negative hit point total equal to his Constitution score he appears as dead to all methods (such as a Heal skill check or the Death Watch spell) but rises once his Fast Healing returns him to positive hit points.

The Haunt of Greenwood still dies as normal if decapitated, disintegrated or suffocated.

Lurking Terror (Ex)
The Haunt of Greenwood uses his Strength modifier in place of his Charisma modifier when using the Intimidate skill and may use the Demoralize action for an Intimidate check as a free action as part of an attack or combat maneuver.

Ecology

Arthur Mason was once a simple soldier who was part of the local lord's retinue army. He was born and raised in a small town in the center of a lush forest and had a wife and two children that kept his mind clean and his feet on the ground. The forest around his home was inhabited by a tribe of Lizardfolk, a tenuous treaty held between them and the lord for several years.

Arthur always thought of the Lizardfolk as misunderstood and that they were demonized to a much greater extent than their barbaric culture lead them to be painted in the minds of others. He was a strong advocate for equal rights between the sentient races and always thought that the Lizardfolk deserved to live in the forest as much as his town deserved to be where it was.

But this all changed one fall evening when he came back from a long dispatch. The smell of smoke and fire filled the forest branches and Arthur came to a bloody homecoming. The town was laid to waste, corpses of his neighbors and a scant few Lizardfolk amongst the burning rubble. This all could have been swallowed and dealt with if he did not discovered what remained of his family. His wife died in his arms, the brutal rape she was subjected to taking its toll. His childrens' fate was far more tragic, their half eaten corpses not far off.

Arthur was never heard from again after he left for home that brisk fall day and his fellow soldiers still speak of the war that would have been if not for the fact that the Lizardfolk tribe were discovered brutally slaughtered even down to the children.

But what is spoken in hushed whispers is the existence of something dark and evil that took residence following those two massacres. They say that it has the form of one of the lord's soldiers but possesses no kindness or mercy in its dark, dead eyes. This Haunt is rumored to stalk the Greenwood, slaughtering any it catches near the two sites of tragedy long past.

Creating a Boogeyman

"Boogeyman" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid. A Boogeyman uses the base creature's statistics and abilities except as noted here.

Challenge Rating: Same as the Base Creature + 1.

Alignment: Any Evil.

Sense: A Boogeyman gains Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Armor Class: Natural Armor increases by +3.

Hit Dice: A Boogeyman receives max hit points at every level.

Defensive Abilities: A Boogeyman gains Fast Healing 5 and is immune to disease, fear effects, mind-affecting effects, necromatic effects, nonlethal damage, paralysis, poison and sleep effects.

Speed: Base land speed increases by +10 feet.

Special Qualities:

Corner of the Eye (Su)
A Boogeyman may use the spell Dimension Door as a spell-like ability once every 2d10 minutes. It may only use this ability if it is not being currently observed by a creature with an Intelligence score of 2 or greater and may only designate an unobserved area as the destination for this ability. [Such destinations are subject to DM approval.]

Evil Never Dies (Su)
A Boogeyman only dies when its negative hit point total is equal to twice its Constitution score. When it reaches a negative hit point total equal to its Constitution score it appears as dead to all discerning methods (such as a Heal skill check or the Death Watch spell) but rises once its Fast Healing returns it to positive hit points.

A Boogeyman still dies as normal if decapitated, disintegrated or suffocated.

Lurking Terror (Ex)
A Boogeyman uses its Strength modifier in place of its Charisma modifier when using the Intimidate skill and may use the Demoralize action for an Intimidate check as a free action as part of an attack or combat maneuver.

Ability Scores: Strength +4, Constitution +4, Charisma -2.

Skills: A Boogeyman receives a +4 racial bonus on Intimidate and Stealth skill checks and always treats both as class skills.

Feats: A Boogeyman receives Great Fortitude as a bonus feat.

Change Log

Comments

Well, this is my revamp of the Boogeyman template from d20 Modern. It's slightly improved in some regards but the major change is making it's "not dying" mechanic actually better than Pathfinder's normal point of dying mechanic.

The "Corner of the Eye" special quality was inspired by The Shape (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220376) PrC's Stalking Shape class feature and all rights for the original concept go to Strawberryman.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-26, 11:33 PM
Reserved for Revenant

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-27, 09:42 PM
If anyone is waiting for the Revenant template before weighing in any critiques, I don't know when exactly I'll get a chance this weekend to actually post it. Just fyi.

TelteWaywalker
2011-10-28, 04:16 AM
I love the idea of this thing I really do, I think I will use it against my players. :)

Rhyvurg
2011-10-28, 05:53 AM
Interesting. I assume the Boogeyman is Micheal Meyers-style killers, and the Revenant is, what, Jason Voorhees?

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-28, 10:47 AM
I love the idea of this thing I really do, I think I will use it against my players. :)

Well thanks! Let me know how that goes, alright? I'm dying for playtest feedback on anything I make.

Interesting. I assume the Boogeyman is Micheal Meyers-style killers, and the Revenant is, what, Jason Voorhees?

Right on the money.

Eikonos
2011-11-11, 10:43 AM
We want Jason, we want Jason :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2011-11-11, 11:12 AM

In that case, I'd love to see a Freddy template. :smallbiggrin:

Tanuki Tales
2011-11-12, 07:09 AM
In that case, I'd love to see a Freddy template. :smallbiggrin:

Freddy would honestly be more like a context derived epic template honestly. :smalltongue:

I'll see what I can do, though I'm in the middle of building a homebrew setting for my irl group and then I need to bang out some more things for my Scion of Legacy class. But I'll get on these templates again after that.