PDA

View Full Version : The Blue evolve on Federation Earth.

Fallen Angel
2011-10-27, 12:32 AM
Basicly, animals on Federation Earth get infected with the Blue Virus, and exhibit the changes the abilities of the animals.

GenericGuy
2011-10-27, 12:52 AM
This isnt Ah.com ASB board Fallen Angel.

Though given the pseudo-luddite messages of some Star Trek episodes and movies, I do wonder why so much of Sci-Fi has a "primitism is way cool, keep that icky technology away!":smallconfused:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 01:26 AM
Probably as a reaction to earlier science fiction that said "Technology is WAY COOL, and will solve ALL OUR PROBLEMS. Yes, even that."
Like fashion, artistic movements tend to follow certain cyclical patterns unless another element intrudes, like when photography brought into question visual arts need to be representational.

kamikasei
2011-10-27, 03:45 AM
Er... what's the Blue Virus? Do you have any sort of links?

Eakin
2011-10-27, 12:24 PM
Er... what's the Blue Virus? Do you have any sort of links?

I think it's from Blue Gender, an anime where a virus turns animals into monsters that drive humans off the planet.

Fallen Angel do you ever actually POST in these? You started the aliens vs. MLP one and then never actually wrote anything in there after the initial post

Tengu_temp
2011-10-27, 12:37 PM
Though given the pseudo-luddite messages of some Star Trek episodes and movies, I do wonder why so much of Sci-Fi has a "primitism is way cool, keep that icky technology away!":smallconfused:

Because quite a lot of sci-fi is as anti-intellectual as a significant chunk of any other medium. It tends to carry a "feel, not think" message that's close to the hearts of Luddites who don't realize how much their lives would suck without all the technology surrounding them. And those people are everywhere, even on these boards.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 12:50 PM
Yeah, that is precisely, why I could never be a Luddite.

Mr.Silver
2011-10-28, 03:58 AM
Because quite a lot of sci-fi is as anti-intellectual as a significant chunk of any other medium. It tends to carry a "feel, not think" message that's close to the hearts of Luddites who don't realize how much their lives would suck without all the technology surrounding them. And those people are everywhere, even on these boards.

I always found that this (http://dresdencodak.com/2009/09/22/caveman-science-fiction/) summed it up pretty well :smallwink:

Eldan
2011-10-28, 05:13 AM
Ah, that hellish, bloody war when the cows overthrew their human masters in 7898 BC...

kamikasei
2011-10-28, 05:47 AM
Oh right, I've heard of Blue Gender though I haven't seen it.

*skims Wikipedia and TVTropes*

Okay... so it's a virus that turns animals in to monsters. Does it infect human too, or use them as a carrier? Is it a weapon being used by humans or aliens, so that attempts to fight it might be subverted? Is it secretly intelligent and infiltrating humans invisibly while everyone thinks infection is visibly obvious? Is it actually magical or mystical in nature?

If it's just a virus... well, Federation Earth is part of a mature, space-faring multistellar civilization with the established ability to move large numbers of people between planets and generate basic resources from very little. Depending on how quickly the virus spreads and takes effect and how long it takes for it to be taken seriously as a threat, a lot of people may die, but it should be possible to move a great many off-planet and quarantine the surface if Treknotech provides no more direct solution. The scenario of "only a minority can escape in to orbit and the rest will be abandoned to die" doesn't really work.

Eldan
2011-10-28, 05:50 AM
Doesn't the federation (i.e. the Enterprise) regularly encounter new diseases and then research and cure them within days (i.e. one episode)?
That's just one ship. Imagine what the entire federation could do.

kamikasei
2011-10-28, 05:54 AM
Doesn't the federation (i.e. the Enterprise) regularly encounter new diseases and then research and cure them within days (i.e. one episode)?
That's just one ship. Imagine what the entire federation could do.
This is the problem with any sort of vs. or similar scenario involving Trek: there is no real consistent picture of what they can do. There do exist apparently incurable or at least hard-to-treat diseases within the setting. It's impossible to say whether the Blue virus would be one of them. It is entirely possible that it would be trivial to cure, though, and/or that you could guarantee quarantine by processing all evacuees through transporters and letting the biofilters catch the virus, and so on.

dehro
2011-10-28, 06:39 AM
is it a bad thing that I read that as "the blues evolves on Federation Earth"?
I would expect trombone-playing William Riker to become a very sad-faced president in a landslide election

are you feeling the blues??? are you?!!

Eldan
2011-10-28, 09:10 AM
My first thought was "Psionic Goblins in Star Trek?"

Mewtarthio
2011-10-28, 09:13 AM
Perhaps someone lets Doctor Tobias Funke out of cryogenic stasis...

LordShotGun
2011-10-28, 09:17 AM
My first thought was "Psionic Goblins in Star Trek?"

This is exactly what I thought.:smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2011-10-28, 09:22 AM
Yeah, that is precisely, why I could never be a Luddite.

You can always be a Cloud Walker (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/edmund-cooper/cloud-walker.htm). :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-28, 12:26 PM
You can always be a Cloud Walker (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/edmund-cooper/cloud-walker.htm). :smallsmile:
Unfortunately, I have not read those books and the link does not give me enough information to really get your reference.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-28, 01:16 PM
I always found that this (http://dresdencodak.com/2009/09/22/caveman-science-fiction/) summed it up pretty well :smallwink:

That's one of my favorite Dresden Codak strips. As a reward, you can have the live-action version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEChG1DKGvY).

nyarlathotep
2011-10-28, 01:45 PM
The only real effects a blue outbreak would have on Federation earth would be societal. People would stick to the cities, always have a phaser at hand, and the police force would have to grow more city border defenses, but there would be no threat to civilization at large. Really the blue couldn't present a threat to modern day humans' existence as a species. Blue are only a threat in the show because the humans are MASSIVELY stupid.

Conversation that must have happened in universe.

"Say mister engineer."

"Yes mister soldier?"

"I was thinking, the tanks you build for me and my comrades are great and all but they make things impersonal. Do you think that you could make our next armored vehicle with an open cockpit so I can see the blood of my enemies more directly?"

"No problem."

averagejoe
2011-10-28, 03:23 PM
The Mod They Call Me: So far as I can tell, this is the sort of vs. thread we try not to have.