PDA

View Full Version : Soul powered front line combatant

DKACyclone
2011-10-27, 08:46 AM
I don't know if I am going to explain this successfully but here goes:

I want the class to be fuelled by the life-force of the fallen enemies, the system I had in mind was something that involves a modifier based on the race's maximum lifespan and another modifier based on where a character is on the scale of life (e.g. Young +5, Middle aged +4, Old +2, Venerable +1)

I want this to be a viable power source but not over-powered, I was hoping someone more familiar with the maths of D&D might be able to give me some figures that help

EDIT: I want the class to be frontline fighter oriented but without the heavy armour, with soul powered abilities (similar to the Paladin's Lay-on-Hands or Psionic classes with PP)

Psyren
2011-10-27, 11:03 AM
I think you want the homebrew board ------>

Having said that, Necrocarnate sounds somewhat close to what you want, if you could somehow boil it down to a base class and then grant <resource> instead of Essentia. They're in Magic of Incarnum.

DKACyclone
2011-10-27, 11:18 AM
Sorry I didn't see that board

I don't have the Magic of Incarnum book, can you paraphrase the Necrocarnate (I assume Prestige class) ability for me

(btw how do I move the thread to another board?)

Keld Denar
2011-10-27, 11:23 AM
Incarnum is "Soul Energy". Souls of people long past, souls of people yet to be, souls period. Necrocarnate gains bonus Essentia from the deaths of nearby creatures (a flat +1 essentia per creature, regardless of type, power, age, etc), and then can use that essentia to power it's soulmelds. Most of the Necrocarnum abilities are pretty weak, but the ability to have pretty much infinite essentia from stepping on an ant hill makes up for it.

Also, if you want to move a thread, click on the little red triangle under your name/avatar in the first post, and mention in the report box that the thread should move to another forum. A friendly mod-folk will be along shortly to make the switch. You can't actually switch it yourself.

Elfinor
2011-10-27, 11:30 AM
I'm not quite aware of any official class that uses that system specifically, but here are a couple more close fits:

Body Leech (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a), which can suck PP out of people stuck in cocoons - and switch bodies with them later on. Psionics system material is available on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) or in the Expanded Psionics Handbook.
Thief of Life, from Faiths of Eberron. Like the necrocarnate it grants essentia, though the benefits are even more temporary. It also grants other benefits (temporary HP etc.) when you kill a creature as you gain levels in the PrC, culminating in the ability to stop ageing for one year after you kill a creature with your HD or higher. Not based on the target's age though. It's a much more rogue-ish class.

I agree with Psyren, something that specific would almost definitely need to be homebrewed. Or maybe that's what you wanted to do all along, I wasn't sure.

DKACyclone
2011-10-27, 11:44 AM
I have requested the move

I knew that there was nothing in the RAW that would allow it but I like the Necrocarnum style system but I want to eliminate the +1 per soul regardless (ants don't have souls anyway :smalltongue: ) and maybe include Hit Dice in the calculation (are souls empowered by new experiences or is that just a phrase)

Elfinor
2011-10-28, 01:31 AM
Could you be a bit more specific in what, exactly, you're trying to achieve? I'm still not sure what 'type' of class you're attempting to build here e.g. warrior/mage/thief/priest or combination thereof. Not to restrict you to those archetypes - but mention whatever flavor, goal and/or theme you feel is appropriate. And what you want the 'soul power' modifiers to help with (everything, martial combat, skills, magic of some kind, other)?

I doubt I'll be much of a help, as I've had little (read: none) experience in creating a class from scratch. Nonetheless, narrowing it down and adding these points to your first post (and perhaps changing the thread title appropriately to the class concept) would probably attract more able-minded help. Hopefully.

EDIT: Djinn in Tonic's Philosophy of Creation guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150609) might be helpful.

DKACyclone
2011-10-28, 06:16 AM
I am not really sure which of the archetypes it fits, somewhere between the rogue and the fighter I guess.

It isn't so much the class creation that I need, I have a number of features drawn from a power pool (enemy souls/lifeforce) and I need a way to calculate those points

I don't want it to have billions but since it is the backbone of the class then I want it to have more than just one per enemy

DKACyclone
2011-10-30, 05:28 AM
Just noticed this has been moved to Homebrew

Thanks Mods

DKACyclone
2011-11-01, 01:57 PM
wow is this board dead?

Pyromancer999
2011-11-01, 02:03 PM
wow is this board dead?

Quite rude. This board is not always active, so please be patient. Also, please try to refrain from bumping a post whenever possible.

In any case, I think the Hemoscribe (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176746) does a pretty good job of what you're looking for.

DKACyclone
2011-11-01, 02:32 PM
OK 1st I'm sorry if that sounded rude, it's just there was no response from the moment the topic was moved here, I wasn't bumping the topic I was just asking if there was anyone on the board

2nd If you mean that the Hemoscibe is exactly what I want then it isn't but if you mean that her Bloodbank ability is close to what I am looking for then you are right

Is 1/2 of the creatures maximum Hp going to be to be over/underpowered, given that all of the classes abilities are powered from this pool?

What could I do to that figure for the age of the creature, Venerable is x1, Old is x1.5, Middle-aged is x2, and Young is x4?

Elfinor
2011-11-02, 04:12 AM
It does depend on what, at least roughly, is being powered by the the pool of power points. To rephrase my previous questions: Does it only power a few abilities tightly tied to a theme, like a Ninja's ki pool? If yes, what theme? Does it power a larger variety of powers like Psionics? To what extent does the class rely on the pool of energy, are they competent fighters without it? Do they receive any power at all otherwise (e.g. from resting), or is the killing an additional power source? How long would like the 'kill bonus' to last, does it need to spent in a limited timeframe or will it last forever until used up? The more detail, the better.

Those questions aside, basing it on age is probably not the best of options. A lot of creatures aren't given age categories and/or are immortal. Basing it on either HD or HP, like you mentioned, would likely be best balance-wise but more details are necessary.

DKACyclone
2011-11-02, 05:57 AM
I am still working through the exact powers but the class will be a melee combatant like the paladin but without magic, mount or Turn Undead abilities but with close range powers that improved its attack powered by the pool of energy, I assume the energy would last for 1 adventure or else the class at level 1 would start with too much.

The class has a high BAB but three poor saves (enhanced from the Pool), a smite power (I'm now thinking similar to the Hemoscribe, where it depends on what lifeforce it has absorbed) and a few other abilities all either powered or enhanced by the energy.

I was thinking that immortal creatures are always considered middle-aged but I want it to be age based because it is the creatures remaining lifeforce, someone could have 15 HD and be Young or Venerable aged.