PDA

View Full Version : In Space!

DoctorGlock
2011-10-28, 07:40 AM
Inspired in part by Scarey Nerd's Floating Island thread, I noticed a fair amount of posters mentioning orbital bombardment and death rays. This caused me to wonder how common it is for your classic fantasy game to end up resembling spelljammer or star trek. How often does your D&D end up... IN SPACE!

In games I have played in, it was my first time playing a wizard in 3.5, and I was shocked to see how many options I had and what I could potentially do with them. This lead to the "fun with teleport object and polymorphs" part of the game (we are about level 15 at this point in a rotating DM game), by the end of the session I had a space station. One of our players is an engineer and we calculated the damage of a large iron object falling from about 200 miles and got something in the high hundred millions (no one knew about the 20d6 cap at this point) and the next session DM decided to run a raised difficulty tomb of horrors (he missed the orbital bombardment part), so when we got there and I asked "How many hit points does the mountain have?" and he answered with "You know what, ten million, good luck", the engineer and I got out the calculation sheet...

Later, in a spinoff game under one of the DMs, we end up with a neogi spaceship and have gone full spelljammer who decided not to challenge the inevitable. Just because magic in 3.5 breaks expectations anyway, we developed the "solar bore", otherwise known as the "planet cracker", which was comprised of linking a gate network through the elemental plane of fire into the heart of the biggest star we could find and slightly above a planet's atmosphere. The resulting beam of multimillion degree devastation melted through the planet and set the atmosphere on fire. In D&D 3.5, Merlin had a death star

Eldan
2011-10-28, 08:56 AM
Ah, the Spitting Cobra*. Truly, the king of planet destruction weapons.

Anyway: rarely, actually. My adventures tend to be planar and lower-level, so there is in most cases either no space to exploit, or no high-level magic around to do it. In general, I also encourage players not to go there in actual play.

I do love thought experiments, however.

*Named that by Alastair Reynolds.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-10-28, 09:15 AM
The current Eberron campaign has the potential to go into space to find an ancient Giant base hidden in the Ring of Siberys, I hope the PCs all buy a Necklace of Adaptation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#necklaceofAdaptation) (and the wizard remembers to buy one for her familiar :smalltongue:

DoctorGlock
2011-10-28, 10:24 AM
Ah, the Spitting Cobra*. Truly, the king of planet destruction weapons.

Anyway: rarely, actually. My adventures tend to be planar and lower-level, so there is in most cases either no space to exploit, or no high-level magic around to do it. In general, I also encourage players not to go there in actual play.

I do love thought experiments, however.

*Named that by Alastair Reynolds.

Curses! It's been done already!

Edit, did a google search and could not find... possibly because I was looking D&D specific, didn't know this guy was a scifi author... D&D application demi originality still!

Edit 2: Your post is the 4th google result for Alastair Reynolds Spitting Cobra. How obscure is this guy?

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-28, 11:09 AM
Just saying now, you guys being in proximity to another thread has made me laugh. :smallamused:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/TheCountAlucard666/Pictures/DealingWithWishesInSpace.png

DoctorGlock
2011-10-28, 01:15 PM
Just saying now, you guys being in proximity to another thread has made me laugh. :smallamused:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/TheCountAlucard666/Pictures/DealingWithWishesInSpace.png

That is beautiful. If more space stories/ideas occur then we can make many amusing proximity titles.

The Reverend
2011-10-28, 01:46 PM
One of my favorite campaign settings is Dragon Star. Its basically DND in space opera setting. Space ships, ftl magical transportation, blaster rifle using paladins, and bullet monks. The core DnD classes are left mostly untouched and they did the adaptions for them really well. Its one of the few settings were a fighter at level 15 is still kind of frightening to a wizard: power armor, shield, antigrav belt, anti magic field vest, and a large heavy auto blaster doing 5d12 an attack 5-7 times each round.

one short campaign we played our party were goblin mercenaries rising cyborg waaarghs, we were indoor cavalry. We all invested in acrobatics and ride heavily so we could do flips over obstacles while our mounts went under them, went thru tight squeezes. Was a lot of fun.

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-28, 01:57 PM
That is beautiful. If more space stories/ideas occur then we can make many amusing proximity titles.Actually, several of the thread titles in that very picture are themselves amusing as proximity titles.

"Got a Real-World Space Weapon or Space Armor Question In Space?"

(What's the armor bonus of a spacesuit? :smalltongue:)

"5e In Space?"

And of course, a thread about a floating island in space would be awesome. :smalltongue:

@V: That would be the ultimate gaming room! :smalleek:

DoctorGlock
2011-10-28, 05:17 PM
Actually, several of the thread titles in that very picture are themselves amusing as proximity titles.

"Got a Real-World Space Weapon or Space Armor Question In Space?"

(What's the armor bonus of a spacesuit? :smalltongue:)

"5e In Space?"

And of course, a thread about a floating island in space would be awesome. :smalltongue:

My favorite so far was "Ultimate Gaming Room... IN SPACE!"

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 08:18 PM
My favorite is D&D Demotivators V: The Demotivator Strikes Back... In Space!

Yeah, I posted in the thread between the two just do I could set it up. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: of course, now that I've posted in this, I ruined it... gotta make a demotivator.

Toofey
2011-10-29, 12:00 PM
It's not so much that I think every campaign ends up in space. I think it's that if you put PCs in space, they're going to do an orbital bombardment.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-29, 12:54 PM
It's not so much that I think every campaign ends up in space. I think it's that if you put PCs in space, they're going to do an orbital bombardment.
It's the only way to be sure.:smallamused:

Eldan
2011-10-29, 01:08 PM
It's the only way to be sure.:smallamused:

Not in D&D :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-29, 02:59 PM
Not in D&D :smallamused:
Given the Creation line of spells, you can hardly get much easier or cheaper though than Rods from God. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment)

Volthawk
2011-10-29, 03:02 PM
Given the Creation line of spells, you can hardly get much easier or cheaper though than Rods from God. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment)

Oh yeah, it's not like people come back from the dead in D&D or anything...

Plus high-level stuff might just have the raw defences to survive all of that stuff.

Terumitsu
2011-10-29, 03:09 PM

Plus high-level stuff might just have the raw defences to survive all of that stuff.

I've actually sat down and calculated the damage that one could do with a tungsten rod created by Major Creation by a 20th level caster and dropped from 60 miles up.

Came up close to the Little Boy in energy released upon impact (Around 3 billion d6 damage).

Very little can survive that... Plus, it would be difficult finding a large enough bit of a dead person to resurrect them too..

Ravens_cry
2011-10-29, 03:12 PM
You need someone to cast it though. Kill enough and there is no one to cast the spell. And even if they do, that's a significant amount of resources lost by doing so.

Like what? Hell, if you use True Creation or existing rocks, it's not even magical, plus hiding in an antimagic shell is about as much a handicap as a protection. and Protection from Arrows's DR/10 ain't going to much against energies equivalent to a tactical nuke*. Resilient sphere can be taken out with certain magical countermeasures and only covers a fairly small area, leaving other areas unprotected. Destroy an enemies ability to make war and you destroy the enemy.
*EDIT: Heh, if Terumitsu calculations are correct, it looks like I actually underestimated the energies. Orbit generally starts about 40 mile above that by the way.

Terumitsu
2011-10-29, 03:18 PM
I'm pulling the number from memory but I know it was pretty close to that.

Would make a crater roughly 150 feet in radius as well.

As an added bonus, everything within half a mile is going to be utterly obliterated as well.

And there will also be the sizable local earthquake that will hit the area...

Generally, it's one of the best things to do when you absolutely, positively, have to kill everything in a designated area.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-29, 03:22 PM
Falling damag maxes out at 20d6. No scientific notation allowed.

Terumitsu
2011-10-29, 03:28 PM
Falling damage fails to account for what happens when 165,000 tons of anything hit something else.

Like, imagine if some crazy wizard has this massive flying castle and the PCs decide to hit the 'Stop Flying' button when it was over a city. I would say that would do more than just 20d6 damage.

Besides, This is one of those very rare times where the rule of cool coincides with science.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-29, 03:29 PM
Falling damage fails to account for what happens when 165,000 tons of anything hit something else.

Like, imagine if some crazy wizard has this massive flying castle and the PCs decide to hit the 'Stop Flying' button when it was over a city. I would say that would do more than just 20d6 damage.

Besides, This is one of those very rare times where the rule of cool coincides with science.

Oh yeah, I think it does an extra d6 for every 20 pounds.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-29, 03:33 PM

If you're dealing with a d20 campaign set . . IN SPACE! without having additional rules for things the usual d20 rules don't cover, like moving in freefall, then you have failed as a DM.

Foxwarrior
2011-10-29, 03:36 PM
The 20d6 cap is per item, with a minimum weight of 1 lb. Instead of dropping a 165000 pound brick on someone, drop 165000 one-pound bricks on them, for 3300000d6 damage total.

Oh wait, you said 165000 tons. So that's 6600000000d6 damage, which is reasonably sufficient for most tasks.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-29, 04:02 PM
That works as well, how do your rods from god bypass wall of force?

I now want to compile all the space related shenanigans you can pull off...

Rods from God/Bricks from God
Solar Bore/Spitting Cobra

Lets add to it!

Ravens_cry
2011-10-29, 04:27 PM
Rods of Cancillation from God?:smalltongue:

Siosilvar
2011-10-29, 04:28 PM

Being dropped vertically, primarily. "Flat, vertical plane[s]" don't do much good against things above them.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-29, 04:50 PM
Being dropped vertically, primarily. "Flat, vertical plane[s]" don't do much good against things above them.

huh, i thought you could put them horizontal
not as helpful against resilient sphere or forcecage, but they might as well be contingent porting anyway.

The rod of cancelation from god works very well. fuse it to the tip of your tungsten death spear

Doorhandle
2011-10-29, 05:18 PM
We got this far without mentioning the lunar (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?543764-Since-someone-has-to-Lunar-Lich-Wars)lich war? (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?543726-In-4e-can-you-still-live-on-the-moon&p=13006974#post13006974)

For SHAME!

Ravens_cry
2011-10-29, 07:20 PM
We got this far without mentioning the lunar (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?543764-Since-someone-has-to-Lunar-Lich-Wars)lich war? (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?543726-In-4e-can-you-still-live-on-the-moon&p=13006974#post13006974)

For SHAME!
I have not heard of such until this time, but that does give a strong reading on my Awesometer.

The Reverend
2011-10-31, 02:45 PM
Agreed lunar lich war needs to be a game:PC, board, wargame, or card as fast as possible NOW!!!!

This a perfect setting for HIGH lvl campaigning.

DnD weapons of mad destruction .

The old traveler "Grandpa" Standy. Three teleportation circles. Move two near the sun and face them towards each other. Place large object between them. It falls onto 1st teleportal and appears in second teleportal and falls into first teleportal and repeats till approaches a fair percentage of C. Third teleportal is brought into firing position and then the first teleportal beams it to the third teleportal aimed at your target. Third teleportal casts enlarge after it comes thru.

Also teleportation effects that dont take correct differences in angular momentum or directional movement into acct.

Immovable Adamantine Rods of God holding adamantine chains in place, scours the land as the world turns, or guillotines it.

Planet sized anti magic field

Research turn light to stone to make light speed rocks on demand

Ooh I always wanted a magic potion juicer type character class, not a super weapon but cool.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-31, 02:56 PM
@The Reverend
The Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist)from Pathfinder has the juicer as part of their shtick, and certain archetypes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/ragechemist) enhance that aspect.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-31, 03:46 PM

Oh, but you get additional uncapped D6s for weight. No word on if this is raw weight, or weight with relativistic effects calculated in.

Either way, dropping a moon on someone tends to work quite well.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-31, 03:55 PM
Part of me wants to include the lunar lich war in my upcoming epic game... but how...

Tyndmyr
2011-10-31, 03:58 PM
Huh, someone else does that too, eh? I've always liked space themed games...have a lot of the 2e spelljammer stuff, though I tend to take a much more serious approach to it. No giant space hampsters. Undead in space is just logical, though. All sorts.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-31, 04:00 PM
Got any ideas for some good space based plots appropriate for ridiculously optimized epic level characters?

Ravens_cry
2011-10-31, 04:38 PM
The Moon is falling on the Earth/Planet of Choice. You got to push it back. Yes, you personally.

The Reverend
2011-10-31, 10:40 PM
Mmmmmm magitech juicer.

The Reverend
2011-11-01, 08:32 AM
Idea for a high lvl optimized party.

The stars...they fall..
The outer realms are breaching the gauntlet and preparing foe an assault on our world

One friend of mine had an interesting idea for a game world that could suit your purposes glock. the world used to be a normal run of the mill fantasy dnd world...then alien beings of immense powers had a war here. They landed fought and then eventually went away. Some artifacts left behind, some pets or parasites left behind, some members of the races changed to suit their needs, and a twisted landscape left.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-01, 09:51 AM
Idea for a high lvl optimized party.

The stars...they fall..
The outer realms are breaching the gauntlet and preparing foe an assault on our world

One friend of mine had an interesting idea for a game world that could suit your purposes glock. the world used to be a normal run of the mill fantasy dnd world...then alien beings of immense powers had a war here. They landed fought and then eventually went away. Some artifacts left behind, some pets or parasites left behind, some members of the races changed to suit their needs, and a twisted landscape left.

looks fun. The issue is making the PCs care about that specific world, they have billions to choose from at this point (epic). How would the various folks in the playground go about stopping the moon crashing into a planet? Or stopping another plane from colliding? Unique ideas and quests, not chaingate solars into epic spell mitigation if possible (especially since we houserule that you cannot mitigate more than 50% away. We use a slightly modified version of feanmerc's system)

Does anyone know how much force something like the solar bore (first post) would put out? (assume a star the size of our sun)

Tyndmyr
2011-11-01, 09:54 AM
Got any ideas for some good space based plots appropriate for ridiculously optimized epic level characters?

Well, for starters, there's a world orbiting the sun exactly opposite to your world. Being a mirror world, it's pretty much required to be evil and filled with the worst of things.

Note that they will likely end up throwing it into the sun.

Note, additionally, that throwing the very essence of evil into the sun may in fact destroy it. And by it, I don't mean the evil.

The Reverend
2011-11-01, 11:11 AM
To keep the moon from falling.

Revive the moon goddess

get the nature spirits, gods, and primordials and the dragons to work together to shift the moon.

quest for a giant spelljammer to tow it back into place

Repair the gods gameboard

steal tje food of the gods, to become gods to stop the fall

Kill the God pulling it out of its orbit.

Also see Dragon Mech their entire world is based on their moon breaking up and pieces falling on the planet. Because the moon gods wants the world.

TheCountAlucard
2011-11-01, 12:21 PM
"What makes a good party base of operations?"

"In Space!"

How strangely profound. :smalltongue:

Sith_Happens
2011-11-02, 09:14 PM
"What makes a good party base of operations?"

"In Space!"

How strangely profound. :smalltongue:

"Morghen's Monday Night HackMaster Log"
"In Space!"

DoctorGlock
2011-11-03, 04:10 AM
To keep the moon from falling.

Revive the moon goddess

get the nature spirits, gods, and primordials and the dragons to work together to shift the moon.

quest for a giant spelljammer to tow it back into place

Repair the gods gameboard

steal tje food of the gods, to become gods to stop the fall

Kill the God pulling it out of its orbit.

Also see Dragon Mech their entire world is based on their moon breaking up and pieces falling on the planet. Because the moon gods wants the world.

Anything with gods will not be helpful since i just ditched the whole divinity system. Anyone of lvl 20+ is eligible for demigod status with no change in stats. You are powerful enough to qualify. The most powerful "gods" and cosmic entities only have DvR 1-3. Handwaving problems with gods won't cut it since the players are gods. 2 or 3 could work though since i am a fan of huge machines from a distant past or massive abominations appearing. Though knowing my players they will just blow up the moon.

Somewhat appropriately, we just had
Superweapons!
In Space!

Morph Bark
2011-11-03, 05:43 AM

For SHAME!

Clearly the moon is made of remnants of a single lich's corpses, regenerated over and over again, covering up his phylactery that is the very core of the moon.

Zonugal
2011-11-03, 03:45 PM
My own campaign is set very much in the model of a space opera. Planes become planets and the astral plane is space. The campaign is locked at 11-12th level (for the highest npcs) and 3-8th for the players. The different factions are:

Humans: Have been destroying their world through industrialization and know venture through space as to colonize new planets.

Dwarves: Klingon-inspired warriors who work with the Humans through economic treaties.

Elves: Enemies to the Humans & Dwarves and defenders of the old ways. They see their adoption of technology and psionics as a perversion of magic.

Half-Elves: Seen as ethnically unclean by the Elves and distrusted by the Humans because of their ancestry. They, at large, work as spies and assassins.

Gnomes: Italian mafia-inspired gangsters of the stars who work as ambassadors, mediators and assassins to anyone with a big enough purse.

Halflings: A purely psionic race of farmers and artisans who have decided to oppose technology for religious/spiritual reasons. They are universally feared by the other humanoid races in the campaign.

Orcs/Half-Orcs: A surviving nomadic race with strong elements of honor and respect from having to surviving the harsh tundra of the most dangerous planet in the galaxy.

The Automatons: A trinity of the Modrons, Maugs and Mechantrix who see all non-construct based life as simply chaos & wrong. They are a purely militaristic entity.

The Wraiths: A collective of undead who view the living as a disease upon the galaxy and hope to convert them to a greater plane of existence (heavy inspiration from the Necromongers from Chronicles of Riddick).

The Green Bloods: A terrifying group of plant-based creatures who venture throughout the universe devouring humanoids, animals and anything else not plant-based.

The campaign is influenced by Star Trek, Warhammer 40k, Avatar and Chronicles of Riddick.

Vixsor Lumin
2011-11-04, 01:29 AM
Somewhat appropriately, we just had
Superweapons!
In Space!

That was my thread! :smallbiggrin:

Anywho back on topic, would it be possible to have a wizard in space, with a necklace of adaptation, be your own personal orbital cannon?

Doorhandle
2011-11-04, 02:27 AM
the range modifiers mean he would have a hell of a time hitting anything, let alone considering if his spells have enough range...

Vixsor Lumin
2011-11-04, 02:37 AM
the range modifiers mean he would have a hell of a time hitting anything, let alone considering if his spells have enough range...

Hmmm didn't quite think that one through hahaha well orbital cannons generally only shoot one type of whatever they shoot right? Maybe an epic level caster with so much metamagic they can only cast once before needing to rest for spells? By that I mean enlarging and widening so that if they are close they can do some damage. But then you have to worry about friendly fire and collateral and.......maybe this is just a bad idea and I should stop trying to save it :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2011-11-04, 06:40 AM
Hulking Hurler + Distant Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#distantShot) = Orbital Cannon

Alternatively, a DFA with metabreath feats. He may not be able to breath again for a very, very long time, but he CAN plaster half a planet.

Morph Bark
2011-11-04, 02:25 PM
Alternatively, a DFA with metabreath feats. He may not be able to breath again for a very, very long time, but he CAN plaster half a planet.

If, and only if, the same metabreath feat may be applied several times.

nedz
2011-11-06, 03:47 PM

We could start one of those 1001 plot ideas threads.:smallcool:

How about:

Someone has stolen the moon.

Why are there two moons now ?

Some strange runes have appeared on the moon, what does it mean ? Is it just graffiti ?

Why has the Sun changed colour ?

Who has the Sun gone out ?

What: there's a new disk in the sky ! Where did that new planet come from ? Er, what is a planet anyway ?

Loki and Thor are playing billiards for fish.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-06, 03:55 PM
We could start one of those 1001 plot ideas threads.:smallcool:

How about:

Someone has stolen the moon.

Why are there two moons now ?

Some strange runes have appeared on the moon, what does it mean ? Is it just graffiti ?

Why has the Sun changed colour ?

Who has the Sun gone out ?

What: there's a new disk in the sky ! Where did that new planet come from ? Er, what is a planet anyway ?

Loki and Thor are playing billiards for fish.

I approve this message.

8: You must outrace the expanding edge of the universe

9: You must retrieve the egg of a phoenix god from the heart of the sun

10: You must stop barbarian hordes from setting the moon on fire

11: You have failed, now extinguish the moon

12: You discover that magic particles come from wormholes because of quantum

Eldan
2011-11-06, 04:00 PM
13: It says in Norse legend that Fenris will eat the Sun when Ragnarök begins. Now a huge spaceship has appeared in the solar system. And the dwarven runes on it's bow name it "FENRIS".

DoctorGlock
2011-11-06, 04:09 PM
13: It says in Norse legend that Fenris will eat the Sun when Ragnarök begins. Now a huge spaceship has appeared in the solar system. And the dwarven runes on it's bow name it "FENRIS".

That I like, I'll have to nick it.

14: You must map the echoes of the first light to chart a detailed map of time. This will allow you to return to the origin point of the universe and make sure everything happens.

Doorhandle
2011-11-07, 05:24 AM

Make it populated by fire giants (Sutur), Haver the players attacked by a He-Naga and a dragon on the way, (Jomunguindir and Niddhog) and finally have the spaceship transform into a giant robot wolf, for bonus points.

Also, TREES.

Edit:

It's an epic-level vasion of explosive runes, cast by an enterpising Lich to win the Lunar Lich War!

On another mythological topic, I remember their being these Aztec Snake-spiders with flint tongues that come from beyond the stars.

Edit: Called Tzitzimitl. I think D&D may already have them though. Also, they seem to be female skeletons, although they are still star-demons.

Eldan
2011-11-07, 09:05 AM
Make it populated by fire giants (Sutur), Haver the players attacked by a He-Naga and a dragon on the way, (Jomunguindir and Niddhog) and finally have the spaceship transform into a giant robot wolf, for bonus points.

Also, TREES.

Steal Treeships from Hyperion. It is populated by a race of squirrelmen (the Ratatosk, who already exist in D&D). Sadly, their race is dwindling, and much of their mile-long ship is abandoned and left in disrepair. Especially the roots (asteroid-mining complex) who are infested by Space Dragons.

This is starting to remind me of the Thor movie a bit (never read the comics).

Tyndmyr
2011-11-07, 12:53 PM
If, and only if, the same metabreath feat may be applied several times.

That's explicitly RAW, is it not?

That said, any creation spells and orbital mechanics leads to entertaining possibilities.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-07, 01:40 PM
I don't really use space in my campaigns. Space is just really the other planes. It doesn't seem fantasy to use spaceships and what not. But airships and large blades attached to guns is totally fantasy, right?:smallwink:

TheCountAlucard
2011-11-07, 02:04 PM
It doesn't seem fantasy to use spaceships and what not. But airships and large blades attached to guns is totally fantasy, right?Humorously enough, in Exalted, both airships and ridiculously large swords are a thing, but going more than a mile high in the air results in getting smote by the gods. :smallamused:

Eldan
2011-11-07, 07:32 PM
Of course, now, thinking about it:

The Ratatosk treeship Yggdrasil is carrying the plans for a lost superweapon, the Mjölnir rail-cannon. Of course, they will need native help and resources to build it.

Tvtyrant
2011-11-07, 10:26 PM
We have done some space stuff, but the issue is making the rewards of space good enough to justify going there. One thing I came up when I was DMing was having Ioun stones be a type of magical asteroid that could be found in asteroid belts.