PDA

View Full Version : So, I've been watching various Law Enforecement shows...

Kjata
2011-10-28, 03:07 PM
Because that's all thats on during the day, and I like to have the tv on in the background while I play video games.

Anyway, they're pretty much all the same. Hunt for killer, find killer, prosecute. Easy to follow when you aren't really watching.

Anyway, I just saw an episode where the whole time, it's leading up to a rich dad or his son killing the son's fiance. The mystery is which one.

Turns out, it's the son's lawyer. Who is on a ledge at the end, trying to be talked down. She killed the son's fiance because she was a gold digger, and the lawyer loved him. The episode ends with the lawyer gettig talked down by the son, who goes over to her. And she pulls him off the edge with her, and they fall 20ish stories onto a police car. The father breaks down in an incredibly emotional way.

Holy crap, that was a twist ending I didn't see coming. I assumed she was going over, but I didn't expect him to go to.

Eakin
2011-10-28, 04:58 PM
Was this an original-flavor law & order episode? Because I kinda remember this or something like it.

I swear I have a photographic memory but only for the plots of formulaic crime shows. 30 seconds into the episode I remember how it ends if ive seen it before

Tono
2011-10-28, 05:00 PM
I think its a SVU episode, actually. But yea, I remember thinking that one was really weird turn when I first saw it.

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-28, 05:50 PM
I think even CSI (Vegas) has tended to become a bit too predictable in it's old age - the fact that whenever they encounter someone who is helpful, they always turn out to be the bad guy. They never seem to meet anyone who is genuinely helpful or reasonable and that kind of bugs me a bit.

This hold true in the others, of course... but CSI Miami has Horatio who is CSI Batman and just stupidly awesomely funny, so I forgive all it's other sins. I love that show, it completely cracks me up. (I especially love the utterly ludicrously over-graphical interfaces for their software, which is often more awesome than most computer games!)

TheArsenal
2011-10-29, 02:02 AM
My favourite was always without a trace (Season 1-2). Non steryotype characters, and interesting mysteries and almost no BS in it.

Dante & Vergil
2011-10-31, 05:37 AM
Yeah this definitely sounds like an episode I've seen before, which probably makes it Law & Order SVU, as it's the only one I got dedicated to watching.

Cheesegear
2011-10-31, 06:52 AM
The best show is still Psych.

And any SVU episode involving children. 'Cause Stabler gets to go crazy.

Manga Shoggoth
2011-10-31, 08:27 AM
I don't actually watch this type of show (my wife is the addict...). However I do remember one episode (of CSI, I think), which started off with the corpses on the trolleys talking to each other.

This rather threw me until I realised that it was somewhat symbolic. The protagonist was giving a lecture and talking about a number of cases he had been on where someone was being accused of murder, but forensics eventually proved that the people concerned died in genuine accidents.

The overall theme of the episode was that he believed he was in a wonderful job as he could give the dead a chance to talk.

Nope. Not one murder in the entire episode. Can't sepak for the predictability of the others, though...

H Birchgrove
2011-10-31, 12:14 PM
I like love crime shows that are about organized crime and/or the drug trade rather than murder, like The Untouchables, Miami Vice and The Wire. There are often murders but those are usually side effects of "the game", and especially in The Wire the main villains aren't caught at once, but able to continue their trade of choice. It's sad, but believable.

If you want a murder show that ain't predictable, try Twin Peaks. Your mind will be screwed and then blown away.

Lord Seth
2011-10-31, 12:22 PM
Anyway, they're pretty much all the same. Hunt for killer, find killer, prosecute.I don't know about that; I'll admit I don't watch procedurals that much, but it seems the ones nowadays tend to stop short of the prosecute portion and concentrate on the mystery portion.

Actually, though, it seems to be that the continuity-less procedurals seem on their way out. The current trend seems to be towards procedurals that, while having their main plots begin and end in the same episode (not counting two-parters), have some overarching stories that continue from episode to episode. For example, see House or The Mentalist. I'm personally hoping this trend continues.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-31, 12:35 PM
If you want a murder show that ain't predictable, try Twin Peaks. Your mind will be screwed and then blown away.

Can somebody please explain to me what the big deal with this show is? Yes, I tried watching it.

McStabbington
2011-10-31, 12:54 PM
I think even CSI (Vegas) has tended to become a bit too predictable in it's old age - the fact that whenever they encounter someone who is helpful, they always turn out to be the bad guy. They never seem to meet anyone who is genuinely helpful or reasonable and that kind of bugs me a bit.

This hold true in the others, of course... but CSI Miami has Horatio who is CSI Batman and just stupidly awesomely funny, so I forgive all it's other sins. I love that show, it completely cracks me up. (I especially love the utterly ludicrously over-graphical interfaces for their software, which is often more awesome than most computer games!)

You're not the only one who finds the other CSIs a little heady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgJxGKBad3M).

Eakin
2011-10-31, 12:56 PM
I don't know about that; I'll admit I don't watch procedurals that much, but it seems the ones nowadays tend to stop short of the prosecute portion and concentrate on the mystery portion.

Actually, though, it seems to be that the continuity-less procedurals seem on their way out. The current trend seems to be towards procedurals that, while having their main plots begin and end in the same episode (not counting two-parters), have some overarching stories that continue from episode to episode. For example, see House or The Mentalist. I'm personally hoping this trend continues.

This is how USA dramas like Burn Notice and White Collar run too. I feel like it's still really artificial when the overarching story is just a single scene tacked on to the end of each episode, it doesn't feel like the plot line is actually an organic part of the episode.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-31, 12:58 PM
Can somebody please explain to me what the big deal with this show is? Yes, I tried watching it.

Did you see it from the beginning or did you see some of the episodes from the later seasons? Because the latter ones can be very "out there".

Mystic Muse
2011-10-31, 12:59 PM
Did you see it from the beginning or did you see some of the episodes from the later seasons? Because the latter ones can be very "out there".

I saw it from the beginning, lost interest, and sat in on some of the later season ones. The later season ones are just bizarre.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-31, 01:20 PM
I saw it from the beginning, lost interest, and sat in on some of the later season ones. The later season ones are just bizarre.

I see.

I have actually not seen that many episodes; I liked those I did (even the bizarre ones) and those I know IRL who've seen it liked it. Personally I find it interesting with a murder mystery that takes a season or more.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-31, 01:24 PM
I see.

I have actually not seen that many episodes; I liked those I did (even the bizarre ones) and those I know IRL who've seen it liked it. Personally I find it interesting with a murder mystery that takes a season or more.

I think that really, my main problems with it are
1. The ending. I don't like endings like this.
2. How bizarre it got. There was very little indication (As far as I could tell) that it was going to take the turn it dead.

However, I loved "Dual Spires" a tribute to the show that's an episode of the show "Psych". There are a bajillion references (My mom and I counted at least 30) and it's done pretty well as a mundane murder mystery instead of what Twin Peaks turned into. If you have Netflix, or any way to watch that single episode, I think you'll enjoy it.