PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished the Wind Chaser [3.5, PrC]

flabort
2011-10-28, 04:22 PM
In This thread, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216746), I promised I would make this class. It is done. :smallsmile:

It is a combination PrC between the Speedster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216746), by Grod_the_giant, and the Stormblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215596), by me. I will announce that this is complete in both threads.

Both classes focus on being really fast, and getting bonus damage from that. Only, one gets a lot of movement (and bonus damage the further it moves), the other gets a lot of attacks (And bonus damage the more times it hits). Obviously, by conclusion, this Prestige class gets both.

So, without further introduction,
Wind Chaser
"I seek to catch the Wind, I seek to tame it to my will. And how can I first catch it, if I can't even catch you?"
-Lucas Strawfeather, Wind Chaser in training.

Hit Die d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Wind Chaser, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Skills: Two or more of the following: Tumble 5 Ranks, Jump 5 ranks, Balance 5 Ranks
Special: Blitzkrieg Strike, Mobile Strike, and Barrage +2d6
Special: Must have had an encounter with something with 30 feet base land speed faster than yourself (as of entering the class).

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), survival(Wis), Tumble (Dex).
Skill points per level: 2+Int Mod

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Speed Bonus
1|+0|+0|+2|+0|Blitzkrieg Strike +1/encounter, Barrage +1d6|+10 ft
2|+1|+0|+3|+0|Blitzkrieg Volley|+10 ft
3|+2|+1|+3|+1|Dusty Trail, Barrage +2d6|+20 ft
4|+3|+1|+4|+1|Cutting Breeze, Blitzkrieg Strike +1/encounter|+20 ft
5|+3|+1|+4|+1|Shifting Winds, Barrage +3d6|+30 ft
6|+4|+2|+5|+2|Zephyrus, Tornado Rush|+30 ft
7|+5|+2|+5|+2|Blitzkrieg Strike +1/encounter, Barrage +4d6|+40 ft
8|+6|+2|+6|+2|Physical Wind|+40 ft
9|+6|+3|+6|+3|Barrage +5d6|+50 ft
10|+7|+3|+7|+3|Ventilate|+50 ft[/table]

Barrage (Ex) The Wind Chaser continues to train in hitting things fast. He gains extra damage when he uses his Barrage ability, as dictated on the table. This damage stacks with any he may have already had.

Blitzkrieg Strike (Ex) The Wind Chaser gets extra uses of it's Blitzkrieg Strike ability. At 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th level, he may use the ability once more per encounter. So a Speedster 3/Stormblade 3/Wind Chaser 4 can use Blitzkrieg strike three times per encounter. This is the same amount as a level 10 speedster.
As well, Wind Chaser levels count as Speedster levels for purposes of the maximum damage you can deal with this ability.

Fast Movement (Ex) The Wind Chaser continues the Speedster's training in rapid change of position over time, and gets an additional +10 enhancement bonus to speed at first level and every odd level afterwords. This stacks with the Fast Movement from the Speedster. He still loses the ability if he wears medium or heavy armor, or carries a medium or heavy load.

Blitzkrieg Volley (Ex) If a second level Wind Chaser successfully hits two or more times while using the Blitzkrieg Strike ability, whether the extra attacks come from Pounce, Storm Strike, or a similar ability, he may expend a second use of his Blitzkrieg Strike ability to deal extra damage again. This damage is equal to half the damage dealt by the original Strike.

Dusty Trail (Ex) The Wind Chaser moves so fast, he kicks up a huge cloud of dust behind himself. After 3rd level, a number of times per encounter equal to twice his dex modifier, if he moves at least 50 feet, any creature that he passes within 5 feet of that round must make a Fort save against a DC of 10 plus 1 for every 10 feet moved, or be subject to a -4 penalty on spot checks and -2 to hit attempts for 2 rounds.

Cutting Breeze (Su) You already run fast, and the feeling of the breeze as you run is really nice. But now you have figured out how to grab that breeze and run with it, using it as a weapon. after 4th level, once per round, a number of times per Encounter equal to your Dex Mod, you may use a free action during your move action to strike out at one creature within 10 feet of your movement path.
You make a ranged touch attack, and if successful, deal 1 slashing damage per ten feet moved. This ability may not be used in the same turn as a Blitzkrieg Strike, cannot have bonus damage added to it, and does not qualify as an attack for any abilities dependent on that.

Shifting Winds (Ex) A 5th level Wind Chaser is much more mobile and varied. A number of times per encounter equal to his Dex Modifier, he may give up his extra attack from storm strike to gain an additional 30 feet of movement for that round. Alternatively, he may give up 30 feet of movement that round, to gain another attack from Storm Strike, although all attacks that round take another -2 penalty. Gaining another attack at the cost of speed, or gaining speed at the cost of an attack, both use the same pool of uses per day.
If he uses this ability, he must declare it at the beginning of his turn.

Zephyrus (Su) At 6th level, the Wind Chaser has taken on aspects of the wind he seeks to catch, and can rush in between an attacker and an ally, blowing the attack away from it's target. If a creature attacks one of the Wind Chaser's allies, and is within 15 feet of the Wind Chaser, he may take a free action once/round to move up to 10 feet towards the creature, although if he uses this ability he must end this movement adjacent to this creature. He takes half the damage dealt by the attack, reducing the damage dealt to his ally by half.

Tornado Rush (Ex) A 6th level or higher Wind Chaser is fast enough, to be able to run around an opponent many times. In a round, where he passes through 5 or more squares adjacent to a target, the Wind Chaser is considered to Flank the target from every direction, even if the target otherwise wouldn't be.

Physical Wind (Su) By 8th level, the Wind Chaser is becoming a whirling blur of flesh and metal. He sees the winds as physical objects now, having become so fast he can outpace them, and grab a hold of them. If he is unarmed, or has a free hand, in rounds during which he moves more than 50 feet, he may wield the wind as a weapon (stats below). Each round he does this, he uses one of his per encounter uses of Cutting Breeze (without actually using the ability). This ability uses a free action during a move action, ane it's effects last until the start of his next turn.
As these weapons are temporary, they cannot be enchanted. The Wind Chaser is automatically proficient in them if he is proficient in their related weapon.
If one of these weapons has a ranged increment, it is a throwing weapon, and the Wind Chaser has as many of them that round as he has attacks.
{table=head]Weapon Name|Related Weapon|Damage (s)|Damage (M)|Critical|Range Increment|type|Special
Massive Punch|Unarmed Strike|1d6|2d4|x2|-|Light, Bludgeoning|Non-lethal
Shredding Draft|Hand Axe|1d6|1d8|x2|-|light, slashing|-
Razor Breeze|Rapier|1d6|1d8|18-20/x2|-|One Handed, Piercing|Finessable
Hammer Blow|Greatclub|1d10|2d6|x2|-|Two handed, Bludgeoning|-
Charging Blast|Lance|1d6|1d8|19-20/x3|-|two handed, Bludgeoning|Reach
Biting Breath|Dart|1d4|1d6|x2|20 ft.|light, piercing|-
Carving Chinook|Spear|1d8|2d6|x3|20 ft.|two handed, piercing|-[/table]

Ventilate (Ex) A 10th level Wind Chaser has caught the wind, wrapped it up, and used it to poke several holes through his enemies. Once per encounter, if the Wind chaser moves at least 50 feet in a round, he may expend 5 uses of his Blitzkrieg Strike that round to deal 2 damage per 5 feet moved (as opposed to for every 10 feet) on every attack he makes that round (instead of just the first to hit).
He may not use this ability in the same round as blitzkrieg strike, cutting breeze, shifting winds, dusty trail, or any other ability with a per day or per encounter limit, with the single exception of physical wind. The additional damage on each attack from this is limited to your speedster levels, plus your wind chaser levels, times 30.

flabort
2011-10-31, 01:35 PM
Aw... fell off the first page with no comments?

Not even anyone who liked the classes it advances?
:smallfrown:

Edit: OK, that's weird. This post didn't put it back on the first page, at all, for some reason.
Will editing it help?

zegram 33
2012-01-18, 02:48 PM
bit of necromancy here but....that capstone, comined with the speedsters "cheetah's sprint" would appear to be utterly and completley brutal
other than that, nice!

flabort
2012-01-18, 03:05 PM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin:
I'd given up hope somebody might comment.

The ability IS a capstone to a PrC, combining two quite strong base classes.
Not enough to put it into T1, but certainly a nice thing for melee to have. But, 'brutal' is a good way to put the combo.

Glad you like the class, any suggestions in case you think there could be some balance tweaks?

zegram 33
2012-01-18, 04:42 PM
thats fine, I had the same feeling on my mage class:smallwink:

this might be nothing like your intended feel for the class, but since your storm blade is all about rrapid hits from standing, what about giving some high speed attacks that dont require a running start.
the wind series of weapons from stationary would make sense in hat, if you can hit 8 times in a 6 seconds, focusing all that into a single punch will give you some serious damage. similarly, maybe allow him to bull rush and throw the guy back a certain distance by sacificing that much movement off your own round that round, or some such?

or maybe really egg on the pure speed/manouverability of the class, and say he can flank a target just by himself, or maybe even have a kind of weakened sneak attack progression useable a few times per encounter (representing being able to get behind them and hit before they can react)

i quite like the idea of having a few moves/class abilities that sacrifice movement speed for that round to have a clever or otherwise unique effect, say a whirlwind spin, or maybe a strike/action that bypasses initiative in case you get caught flat-footed, but takes half your movement when it gets to your round proper?

however, all of these are more "additions" to the class than improvements upon it, and it DOES work well as it is.

one thing i would reccomend if you havnt already: see if you can download dc universe online (free now) and make a superspeed character, some of the moves they get are very cool and might give some inspiration?

all in all though, very good PrC, in my humble opinion (a big fan of your stormblade too, while im at it)

Edit: Wow that was longer than I thought it would be, sorry for the essay-ness!

flabort
2012-01-18, 04:57 PM
Maybe I could develop those as feats? Feats for Speedster, Feats for Storm Blade, and some feats for when it has abilities from both (with or without Wind Chaser)?

Being able to flank a target on his own, when during his movement he manages to be on both sides of it, sounds like a good idea, though, that shouldn't be a feat. There's not much he can actually do that requires flanking a target, although he may take a feat, or multiclass further, or be gestalt, but without those, flanking a target on his own doesn't do much, and seems thematically appropriate, not to mention the ability can be made strong.

I'll look up that game, by the way.