PDA

View Full Version : Infiltrator PrC Please Re-PEACH

KolyaMollari
2011-11-02, 12:14 PM
Completely edited from the original version. Please Re-PEACH

Infiltrator

(probably needs a new name now)

Requirements
To qualify to become an Infiltrator, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment
Any
Skills
Bluff 8 ranks, Diplomacy 8 ranks, Knowledge (any) 4 ranks.
Special
The character must successfully manipulate a person of power through lies and deceit (ie: Royalty, Military Leader)

Alignment
Any.

HD D6
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Sneak Attack +1d6, Infiltrator Knowledge, Spells|2|-|-|-

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Voice of the City|3|-|-|-

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Sneak Attack +2d6, Silver Tongue|3|2|-|-

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Evasion|4|3|-|-

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Sneak Attack +3d6 |4|3|2|-

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Meld Into The City|4|4|3|-

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Sneak Attack +4d6|4|4|3|2

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Blindsense 30'|4|4|4|3

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Sneak Attack +5d6, |4|4|4|3

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Hidden Stalker|4|4|4|4

[/table]

class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points
8 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Infiltrators are proficient with the crossbow (hand, light, or heavy), dagger (any type), dart, rapier, sap, shortbow (normal and composite), and short sword. Infiltrators are proficient with light armor but not with shields.

Sneak Attack: As Rogue

Infiltrator Knowledge: At 1st level, the Infiltrator can access knowledge in the same manner as a bard can. This ability functions like the bardic knowledge ability, except that the bonus for the check equals the character's Infiltrator level + his Intelligence modifier. If the Infiltrator has another such lore ability from another source (such as bard or loremaster levels), his Infiltrator levels stack with levels of all other classes that grant such an ability for the purpose of Infiltrator knowledge checks.

Spells: The Infiltrator level is counted as 5+Infiltrator level. List below

Voice of the City: Through a combination of body language, tone, and expression, the voice of the city can make herself understood by those who do not speak her language, and she can interpret their meaning the same way

Silver Tongue (Ex): you gain your Intelligence bonus as a modifier on Bluff and Diplomacy checks

Evasion: can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Infiltrator is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Infiltrator does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Meld into the City: , you can meld your body and possessions into the wall of a building, into the street, or into any other stone structure that is part of a city. This ability otherwise functions like meld into stone, usable at will.

Blindsense (Ex): gains blindsense with a range of 30 feet.

Hidden Stalker: For those who know how to use them, the ever-shifting concealment of the throng and the back alleys of the city provide just as much opportunity for stealth as the shadows of the trees or the early morning fog.

Spells
1st Level: disguise self; Hold Person , feather fall, ghost sound, jump, obscuring mist, Brain Spider, true strike.

2nd Level: alter self, cat's grace, darkness, fox's cunning, Tongues , invisibility; pass without trace, undetectable alignment.

3rd Level: deep slumber, deeper darkness,,Veil, misdirection, nondetection, Spider Climb, Blacklight

4th Level:clairaudience/clairvoyance, dimension door, freedom of movement, glibness, greater invisibility, Mislead , modify memory, poison

Antonok
2011-11-02, 02:20 PM
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Sudden Strike +1d6, Spells, Improved Trip, Master Translato|2|-|-|-

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Uncanny Dodge|3|-|-|-

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Sudden Strike +2d6, Knock-Down|3|2|-|-

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Blind Sense +30’, Tongue of the Devil|4|3|-|-

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Sudden Strike +3d6|4|3|2|-

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Brains over Brawn|4|4|3|-

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Sudden Strike +4d6|4|4|3|2

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge|4|4|4|3

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Sudden Strike +5d6, Hide in Plain Site|4|4|4|3

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Blind Sense +60'|4|4|4|4

[/table]

For reference, I hate the table codes too lol. Just quote this post and copy this (minus the spoilers of course). I'd save the table code for future reference too.

As far as critic goes, I don't really have much to say other then 60' blind sense seems a bit much, and your missing thier skills known and hit die.

KolyaMollari
2011-11-02, 05:11 PM
Saved the template and edited the post. Thanks a ton for helping me with that; it looked more like a tetris board than a chart

KolyaMollari
2011-11-02, 05:19 PM
As far as critic goes, I don't really have much to say other then 60' blind sense seems a bit much, and your missing thier skills known and hit die.

Do you have any suggestions of how I could change it, or what you think would be a good replacement?

Antonok
2011-11-02, 07:57 PM
Do you have any suggestions of how I could change it, or what you think would be a good replacement?

I have a few things now that I've had time to actually read through it.

Master Translator: I would refer to the Smatterings feat in Races of Destiny. Does the same thing, but it takes 2d6 days.

Knock Down: I'd say take this out completely, or give them the Wolf's Trip ability.

Hold the Line: I really don't see how this fits in with the class at all. Also, its not on the table. For that matter, Hide in Plain Sight isn't in the ability descriptions.

Blind Sense: Cut this in half and it should be good. It is a rather powerful ability imo.

Also, just a suggestion, you might want to look at giving them martial progression instead of spells. The Shadow Hand and Setting Sun maneuvers in particular would fit this class well.

KolyaMollari
2011-11-03, 05:48 AM
From what I can find online I would agree on the use of maneuvers. To be honest I'm a little hesitant due to never having TOB in front of me, and not knowing the mechanics on the maneuver system

The Underlord
2011-11-03, 09:43 AM
You should include the Ex, Su, and Sp tags on each ability to aviod confusion.
Example would MAster translator be suppresses by an antimagic field? IF not, it is an Ex ability. If so, it is a Su ability.

KolyaMollari
2011-11-07, 08:43 PM
Edited into a different flavor for the same "Spy" like character. The ToB suggestion was a great one, but since I cannot get my hands on a copy of the book I will have to go another path. I will agree that the attempt at a forced combat style wasn't working with the set-up that I previously had.

I decided to keep the Assassin Spell list, but turn him into a socially urban rogue type character. The bonuses that focus on Int. are to emphasize his role as the Silver Tongued Skill Monkey

Realms of Chaos
2011-11-07, 11:23 PM
As another formatting note, you might want to put those special abilities in the order that they're acquired.

Also, you don't need to give class features separate "benefit" lines like feats.

Go To Ground doesn't actually define what laying low means, which might be a problem.

Also, this class can't seem to decide whether it wants to be an urbane manipulator (pre-reqs, Tongue of the Devil, many spells) or a mystical freerunnner (brains over brawn, meld into city, fast movement, wall crawler, other spells). You may want to try giving the class a bit more focus or creating two focused paths (kind of like a ranger's specialization with class features instead of feats) and forcing members to progress down one or the other.

Edit: also, it seems curious that none of the Infiltrator's abilities really make him seem like an infiltrator. :smallconfused:

jiriku
2011-11-07, 11:30 PM
The 'special' prerequisite is vaguely worded. You'll want something specific so players know what they need to do to qualify.

I'd suggest stronger spells. Don't be afraid to grant spells at a lower level than they'd usually be for a full caster, since this class is at least 5 levels behind a fullcaster in progression. Also, consider granting a caster level of 5+infiltrator level, for the same reason. Illusion spells from the [glamer] subschool would probably be appropriate. [Charm] spells wouldn't be a bad idea either. Of course, then you're starting to look like a mini-beguiler. Dunno.

KolyaMollari
2011-11-07, 11:46 PM
The 'special' prerequisite is vaguely worded. You'll want something specific so players know what they need to do to qualify.

I'd suggest stronger spells. Don't be afraid to grant spells at a lower level than they'd usually be for a full caster, since this class is at least 5 levels behind a fullcaster in progression. Also, consider granting a caster level of 5+infiltrator level, for the same reason. Illusion spells from the [glamer] subschool would probably be appropriate. [Charm] spells wouldn't be a bad idea either. Of course, then you're starting to look like a mini-beguiler. Dunno.

I actually copied and pasted from the Assassin spell list, and wasn't sure what would be appropriate to add. Charm spells, and illusions, would fit the concept of an infiltrator. Are there any particular ones that wouldn't be considered "too much" or "too powerful" for a class like this?

jiriku
2011-11-08, 03:05 AM
My go-to choices for a class like this would be charm person, suggestion, silent image, minor image, and major image. From the Spell Compendium, you might also consider distract, improvisation, speak to allies, sticky fingers, listening coin, reflective disguise, serene visage, zone of silence, and voice of the dragon.

KolyaMollari
2011-11-08, 06:27 AM
My go-to choices for a class like this would be charm person, suggestion, silent image, minor image, and major image. From the Spell Compendium, you might also consider distract, improvisation, speak to allies, sticky fingers, listening coin, reflective disguise, serene visage, zone of silence, and voice of the dragon.

I'll look into those today at the office.

KolyaMollari
2011-11-08, 12:18 PM
As another formatting note, you might want to put those special abilities in the order that they're acquired.

Also, you don't need to give class features separate "benefit" lines like feats.

I need to figure out the proper wording for those as benefits. Most of those abilities were taken from Urban Ranger variants, and Cityscape.

Go To Ground doesn't actually define what laying low means, which might be a problem.

Same as above. This ability acts as an Urban Trackless Step

Also, this class can't seem to decide whether it wants to be an urbane manipulator (pre-reqs, Tongue of the Devil, many spells) or a mystical freerunnner (brains over brawn, meld into city, fast movement, wall crawler, other spells). You may want to try giving the class a bit more focus or creating two focused paths (kind of like a ranger's specialization with class features instead of feats) and forcing members to progress down one or the other.:

This is the second variation of this class. Even in the first one I've tried to create a character that would be able to sneak his way into groups/organizations/bases, Mix into the populace through deception, and be able to escape. This all of course could be explained in the proper "how to play a character" fluff, but I would need more than a base concept to write that part (no the best writer). I will be editing the spell list to gear more towards deception and manipulation type spells (charm and illusion) to hopefully flesh this out a little better.

I do like the idea (I can't seem to stop thanking you PEACH'ers and your brilliance) of giving two different paths. I'm guessing that you would suggest something like Scoundrel (manipulator), and Runner (mystic free runner)?

Edit: also, it seems curious that none of the Infiltrator's abilities really make him seem like an infiltrator. :smallconfused:

Hopefully the prior statement helped answer this

KolyaMollari
2011-11-08, 08:33 PM
Updated Spells, Table, and Features list.