PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted 3.5 Monster

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-02, 06:43 PM
I was playing Infamous 2 the other day and was inspired to design a D&D monster based off some of the corrupted variants in paticular this guy.

http://images.wikia.com/infamous/images/5/56/Infamous-2-enemy.jpg
Its not designed as a perfect representation.
Corrupted
Size/Type: Medium-sized Aberration
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +8 (+4 Dex, +4 Feat)
Speed: 30ft, Climb 20ft
Armor Class: 17 (+4 Dex, +3 Natural), Flat-footed 13, Touch 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Arm Blades +7 melee, (1d8+3/19-20x2)
Full Attack: 2 Arm Blades+7 Melee (1d8+3/19-20x2) and bite +2 Melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, Attatch, Blood Drain
Special Qualities: darkvision 60 ft, Leap
Saving Throws: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills:Climb+18, Jump+40
Feats: Weapon Finess, Improved Initiative, Improved Critiical: Armblade(b)
Environment: Any
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil.

These miserable wretches were Human once. There forms twisted and corrupted by foul magic. They appear now as pale skinned humanoid beings with arms molded into razor sharp blades of bone. Their mouths twisted into four mandibles. They walk on elongated legs resembling those of a thri-kreen.
Combat: The corrupted do not prioritize enemies, they attack and kill whomever has there attention which is usually the nearest living thing other then their own kind.

Leap (Ex): The Corrupted have a +30 Racial bonus on jump checks, additionally they can make standing jumps as if they had a running start.
Attach (Ex): A Corrupted that hits with its bite attack latches onto the opponent’s body with its powerful jaws. An attached Corrupted loses its Dexterity bonus to AC and thus has an AC of 13. An attached Corrupted can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached Corrupted through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature. While attached to a Victim the Corrupted can not use its natural attacks against anyone other then the victim.

Blood Drain (Ex): A corrupted drains blood for 1d4 points of constitution damage each round it remains attached.
Pounce (Ex): If a corrupted charges a foe it can make a full attack.

I decided to give them a dire weasel like attach ability because I thought with the mandible mouth they needed something wicked on the bite attack. And my goal wasn't a perfect representation for whats in the game. As the blood drain comes every round they remain attatched to the vicitm the party has until its next turn to remove it.

I have some ideas for the Hive Lord but instead of spikers it will spawn something far worse I already designed called Goo-Bangs.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-03, 11:25 AM
Never played Infamous, though I want to, but the monster looks good and scary. You should give it some ranks in hide, so that it can jump out of nowhere and really scare the crap out of the party.

Debihuman
2011-11-03, 12:01 PM
Blood Drain is missing from Special Attacks.

You should probably explain the armblades since they are non-standard natural weapons. Giving them a crit on 19-20 without Improved Critical Feat means it probably needs this feat. You could give it as a bonus feat.

Racial bonuses are normally between +2 and +8. A +30 racial bonus on a 4 HD creature makes little sense. It is overkill for the CR. It also doesn't need it. A racial bonus of +8 is more than enough. Also your math is wrong. I fixed your skills with a Jump Modifier of +8 below. You also forgot a synergy bonus from Jump.

Creatures with a Climb speed automatically get this in its skill section:

The Corrupted has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. The corrupted must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC higher than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If a corrupted chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed (or at its land speed, whichever is slower) and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. A corrupted retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus to their attacks against it. It cannot, however, use the run action while climbing.

Here are your corrected skills with all 7 ranks in Jump and including a +8 racial modifier for Jump too. Climb gets the +8 racial modifier for having a Climb speed + Str Modifier; Jump gets 7 ranks, +8 racial, +Dex modifier, and Tumble gets +2 synergy from Jump + Dex modifier.

Skills: Climb +11, Jump + 19, Tumble +6.

Debby

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-03, 12:53 PM
Racial bonuses are normally between +2 and +8. A +30 racial bonus on a 4 HD creature makes little sense. It is overkill for the CR. It also doesn't need it. A racial bonus of +8 is more than enough. Also your math is wrong. I fixed your skills with a Jump Modifier of +8 below. You also forgot a synergy bonus from Jump.

Thri-Keen have 2 racial HD and a +30 to jump.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-03, 01:18 PM
They have the exact same racial bonus to jump as a Thri-kreen. Which is fitting as they both have double knees on the legs. So I simply lifted the ability from the Thri-kreen and gave it to the Corrupted Jumping from street level to the top of a five story building like they do in the game would have been execessive.

Creatures with a Climb speed automatically get this in its skill section:

I expect most people are already familiar with that, climb is a common enough ability. And actually plenty of creatures with a climb speed don't have that in there entry or its a shortened version of it. Example
A phase spider has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

Here are your corrected skills with all 7 ranks in Jump and including a +8 racial modifier for Jump too. Climb gets the +8 racial modifier for having a Climb speed + Str Modifier; Jump gets 7 ranks, +8 racial, +Dex modifier, and Tumble gets +2 synergy from Jump + Dex modifier.
To make monsters more interesting I don't count intelligence penalties for calulating skill points. I simply forgot to remove that modification on the posted stat block.
Tumble also can't be used untrained, so counting synergy is pointless without an actual ranks in it.

Debihuman
2011-11-03, 05:24 PM
Thri-Keen have 2 racial HD and a +30 to jump.

Thri-kreen have a +30 Competence bonus to Jump (see the 3.5 thri-kreen in Savage Species page 222.) It is not a Racial bonus. They do not get a synergy bonus to Tumble because they don't have the ranks in Jump for it. In fact, they have no ranks in Jump and just get their Str modifier and the Competence bonus.

If you change it to a Competence bonus, it makes a lot more sense.

Debby

Realms of Chaos
2011-11-03, 06:35 PM
Thri-kreen have a +30 Competence bonus to Jump (see the 3.5 thri-kreen in Savage Species page 222.) It is not a Racial bonus. They do not get a synergy bonus to Tumble because they don't have the ranks in Jump for it. In fact, they have no ranks in Jump and just get their Str modifier and the Competence bonus.

Debby

This seems to be incorrect. The savage species (at least judging by the DR/+x that it uses in several places) comes at the tale end of 3.0 while the Thri-Kreen from the expanded psionics handbook (which is fully 3.5 and thus trumps savage species/MM II entries) specifically has a +30 racial bonus to jump checks.

XPH, page 15

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-03, 08:54 PM

Debby

You completely missed what I said, Tumble can not be used untrained so tracking synergy bonuses to it is pointless without an actual rank in the skill.

And as Realms of Chaos points out there are 3.5 printings of the Thri-kreen one in the EXPH and one in the MM3 and they say racial bonus.

Debihuman
2011-11-04, 12:11 AM
Thri-kreen aren't in MM3, they are in MM2 (which is 3.0). Savage Species is also 3.0. However, I hadn't realized they were in XPH which is 3.5. Since XPH is the most recent, we could assume that one is the correct one and it would indeed be a racial bonus. Who knows why WotC made the change.

Debby

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-04, 12:20 AM
Thri-kreen aren't in MM3, they are in MM2 (which is 3.0). Savage Species is also 3.0. However, I hadn't realized they were in XPH which is 3.5. Since XPH is the most recent, we could assume that one is the correct one and it would indeed be a racial bonus. Who knows why WotC made the change.

Debby

It also appeared in the Shining South released the same year as the XPH

Realms of Chaos
2011-11-04, 08:27 AM
Also, don't forget the +15 racial bonus to hide checks that Skulks (RoD, p106) recieve.

Debihuman
2011-11-04, 01:54 PM
Shining South is also 3.5 and in that book on page 15 as a monster the +30 bonus to Jump is listed as a Competence bonus. However, on page 16 as a PC monster race the same bonus is listed as a Racial bonus. WotC did have atrocious editing and proofreading back then.

Regardless of the abilities of other creatures , let's just concentrate on making sure the corrupted aren't overpowered for CR. They may not be. I was just voicing a concern. [Edit] I think they work as CR 3 with the changes that were made.

Debby

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-05, 07:12 PM
Well the party did battle with the hordes of Corrupted and they did not disappoint. The party was returning to the peaceful village of Tristram. The village was all but abandoned and overrun with the things.

After the first fight they stablized one of the Corrupted so the Psion could mindprobe it. They didn't get a lot of useful information out of it, what with the intelligence reduced to practically an animal. But they got a general idea of where they were coming from and that they used to be human.

They fought through the hordes of Corrupted before facing the vile being responsible for making them. The villain is a member of an extraplanar race of arcane spell casters previously unknown to the world. His interrogation via mind probe was much more illuminating. Including a very briliant question of "What do you fear?"