PDA

View Full Version : [PF, Monster] DracoHydra

Norix
2011-11-05, 10:43 AM
Hi,
I wanted to recreate the DracoHydra (AD&D) for my Pathfinder Campaign. It is basically a dragon with multiple heads (two to five; maybe more?) and the classic hydra traits.
Instead of just using a hydra with the half-dragon template, I want to use PF's age category system for dragons. This is my first monster creation, so help is appreciated.

This is what I have so far:

Dracohydra
CE dragon (water)
Base Statistics
CR 4; Size Small; Hit Dice 5d12
Speed 40 ft., swim 40 ft.
Natural Armor +2; Breath Weapon line, 2d4 acid
Str 11, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 6
Special Abilities
Acid Immunity (Ex) A dracohydra is immune to acid.
Fast Healing (Ex) A dracohydra has fast healing equal to its current number of heads (minimum fast healing 5). This fast healing applies only to damage inflicted on the dracohydra’s body.
Hydra Traits (Ex) A dracohydra can be killed by severing all of its heads or slaying its body. Any attack that is not an attempt to sever a head affects the body, including area attacks or attacks that cause piercing or bludgeoning damage. To sever a head, an opponent must make a sunder attempt with a slashing weapon targeting a head. A head is considered a separate weapon with hardness 0 and hit points equal to the dracohydra's HD. To sever a head, an opponent must inflict enough damage to reduce the head's hit points to 0 or less. Severing a head deals damage to the dracohydra's body equal to the dracohydra's current HD. A dracohydra can't attack with a severed head, but takes no other penalties.
Regenerate Head (Ex) When a dracohydra's head is destroyed, two heads regrow in 1d4 rounds. A dracohydra cannot have more than twice its original number of heads at any one time. To prevent new heads from growing, at least 5 points of fire damage must be dealt to the stump (a touch attack to hit) before they appear. Fire damage from area attacks can affect stumps and the body simultaneously. A dracohydra doesn't die from losing its heads until all are cut off and the stumps seared by fire.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) A dracohydra gains the following spell-like abilities usable at will upon reaching the listed age category. Juvenile – fog cloud; Adult – darkness; Old – stinking cloud; Ancient – cloudkill

The progression for DR/magic, spell resistance, and frightful presence is equal to that of white dragons. Unlike other dragons a dracohydra does not gain any spellcasting abilities (besides its spell-like abilities).

I am still trying to figure out how to handle the breath weapon:
Breath with one head and bite attack with the others as a full-attack?
More than one head breathing in one round? Shared or individual (per head) reuse timer?

Another thing is, if I should give it the pounce ability of a hydra. A charge with 5 heads, 2 claws, 2 wings, and a tail slap sounds scary...

Do you think the CR is right for this monster? AC and attack bonus is a little bit lower than for a creature of its CR, but the potential damage is much higher (like with a standard hydra).