PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Dog, the Bounty Hunter?

Lokio
2011-11-06, 11:19 PM
DM, Hustlertwo and Debatra only. All others will be fed to a flurry of battlefoot-empowered kicks.

You're in the Arena, and you're chatting it up like serious pros.

Debatra
2011-11-06, 11:21 PM
(Here and ready)

hustlertwo
2011-11-06, 11:37 PM
Map:http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/11-scorers_glass_arena.png

Wilstaff starts in M-4, and Bennett in N-4. The skeleton is holding a dagger and shield, the hobgoblin a rod clutched in one hand.

He shouts across the field to his opponent/potential hire.

That's better! Don't want the common rabble knowing about this project until the time is right. As you may know, the slums and docks are a hazardous, lawless place. And I will admit, my people have been a part of this.

He gestures to the blue tattoo on his face.

However, I am tired of it. More importantly, the Khan Khan Man is too. He runs the slums, and he agrees with me that we could use a touch more law and order. The city won't supply it, so we're building a group from the ground up. An Extracity Watch, if you will. And we'll be looking both for those to work as everyday guard walking a beat, and more specialized agents to hunt down ornery sorts. Any interest?

Init: [roll0] [roll1]

Lokio
2011-11-06, 11:45 PM
[[Since your PCs are first meeting, if you want, I can adjudicate hits/misses/the combat so that y'all don't have to share sheets.]]

hustlertwo
2011-11-06, 11:50 PM
Sure, go for it.

Debatra
2011-11-06, 11:52 PM
@ Lokio: Sounds good to me.
---
The Elf stands in M-23, bow in hand and sword at her side.

"Definitely. I generally work freelance, but I'll be the last to pass up steady work. I'll want a certain degree of independence; mainly still being able to accept contracts that don't go against us. Is that agreeable?

Init: [roll0]

Lokio
2011-11-06, 11:54 PM
Debatra goes first followed by the hob and his pet.

Debatra
2011-11-06, 11:54 PM
She runs to G-15. (full-round)

hustlertwo
2011-11-07, 12:03 AM
Bennett double moves to F-9.

Wilstaff moves to G-5, and then Wilstaff casts a spell, DC 18 Spellcraft to identify.

If identified, although you might be able to guess it anyhow.
Haste.

Debatra
2011-11-07, 12:10 AM
K-14

And that's... 15' up? 10?

Either way, no reason I shouldn't be able to shoot. (is there?)

Manyshot: [roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4]

EDIT: Targetting Wiltstaff.

hustlertwo
2011-11-07, 12:14 AM
15, yeah.

So, do both arrows use the same attack roll with Manyshot?

Lokio
2011-11-07, 12:16 AM
Barring any buffs, the arrows strike Wilstaff in the chest. Both arrows use the same attack roll on Manyshot.

hustlertwo
2011-11-07, 12:26 AM
Wilstaff swats the first arrow away, but the second plows a deep furrow into his arm.

Ow. Well done! I see you might be just what we're looking for. We can allow you to take other contracts. But not with the Skulks, or the actual City Watch. Their goals run counter to our own. Another question: how do you feel about undead? We might be able to get you one as a partner. Nothing elaborate; you'll have to earn trust before I start handing you something high-powered like the pet I'm currently working on. But sometimes it helps to have a grunt around to do your dirty work.

He looks to the skeleton.

Hey, you wish you were the brains of this outfit! You're just the leech hanging on to my coattails! Now go stab something!

As ordered, Bennett moves to J-13 and attempts to perforate the elf.

[roll0] [roll1]

Wilstaff drops his rod and draws forth a sizable bow, which he holds in one hand.

You want to trade arrows? I can do that too.

[roll2] [roll3]

After the attack, he moves the bow back to a one-handed grip.

Lokio
2011-11-07, 12:37 AM
The elf ducks the sword swing but is struck by the hob's arrow, despite the close quarters combat.

Debatra
2011-11-07, 08:25 AM
"I'm generally indifferent to them, so long as they're not in my way. Some help would be nice. Would I be allowed to turn criminals that aren't associated with us to the Guard? I haven't been in Aldhaven long, but it's been quite lucrative elsewhere."

Tumble [roll0] away from the Bennet to L-13 and fires another pair at the hob.

[roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

hustlertwo
2011-11-07, 09:16 AM
Another arrow is swatted down, but the second lodges into the hobgoblin's thigh. He is beginning to look a little winded.

The skeleton moves to L-13 and attempts more stabby stab.

[roll0] [roll1]

But see, in this instance, you can consider me the guard. You turn them into me, I pay you. You're still a bounty hunter, just one who'll be working under limited exclusivity, and in turn be compensated accordingly. Of course, this does only relate to crimes committed outside of city limits. I'm not interested in making that rotten cesspool of a city any better. And while you are authorized to arrest Blue Hands you catch committing major offenses, such as rape, murder, or things of that nature, I want them brought in alive. No disintegrations. If I ever receive a report of you killing Blue Hand members, especially without provocation, well.....

To finish this thought, Wilstaff drops his bow and retrieves his rod from the floor, then in a flurry of activity he presses a stud on the device, taps his gloves, and utters an incantation. Five small spheres of force scream toward the elf, who is (presumably) struck for [roll2] x 1.5 damage.

Edit: 27 damage on the magic missile, then.

Debatra
2011-11-07, 09:59 AM
And that's a win for Wiltstaff.

So there's a Revivify effect when people die in here, but what if they aren't outright killed?

hustlertwo
2011-11-07, 10:19 AM
I think for fluff reasons we just call it when you drop below 0 (barring a feat that keeps you afloat, like Diehard), the fight is over and the effect kicks in.

The next thing the elf sees is the grinning face of the hobgoblin, standing beside her.

How'd you like that little taste of the afterlife? Personally, I think it has a hint of vanilla.

He helps the elf to her feet, and summons a pair of clerics over, healing both of thier injuries entirely.

Bracing! Nothing like a little slap and tickle to brighten the day. I'm impressed; I put a lot of time and training into shutting down archery types. Kinda got shot at a lot where I grew up. But you still managed to put a couple shafts into me. So, I suppose I will let you freelance for the Watch too. Just keeping in mind that if they ask you to hunt down a Blue Hand, or really any goblinoid out this way, you turn them down. But I can promise you, we'll have better perks than those silly sots can manage. Final answer: you want the job, or shall you simply remain a customer of this fine fighting establishment and nothing more?

Debatra
2011-11-07, 10:30 AM
The Elf holds out her hand. "Oh, I'm definitely in. And don't worry about your men; people in my line of work hear the phrase 'bring them in alive' more often than 'good morning'."

hustlertwo
2011-11-07, 11:25 AM
The hob shakes the hand heartily, and then orders the skeleton to shake the elf's hand as well, which it does in a stiff manner.

Looks like our organization just got its first hire, Bennett. What do you think of that?

The skeleton says nothing.

Oh, you don't trust anyone. Just because you're usually right doesn't mean you aren't also usually wrong.

More staring.

Oh, it does? Well, whatever. What's your name, arrowslinger? In case we didn't mention it before, I am Wilstaff, and this bonebag is my non-sexual companion, Bennett. And don't worry about the alive part for non-Blues; for the people I'll be sending you after, dead will be fine. And if you see a Skulk, any Skulk at all, I will pay for them, dead. They are not our buddies. While prices for your missions will vary depending on the difficulty of the target or targets, I will promise an extra bit of cash if you bring back their bodies. The possessions are yours, but the corpses....well, we have to build up our staff somehow.

He slaps the skeleton on the back in a jovial manner to punctuate this statement.

As soon as I have a specific target in mind, I'll let you know right away. Whenever you find a place to stay, send a messenger to us so we know your home base, and we'll contact you from there. Until then, if you're looking for gold, that open bounty on Skulks is...well, open. More of them dead, the better. Just be mindful, they're hard to catch and harder to kill.

And consider this a signing bonus.

The hob pulls out the sack of gold the elf used to pay for her entry into the next tournament, pours half of the contents onto a table, and then hands the rest back to his new bounty hunter.

We'll cover the rest of your entry fee so the winner's purse isn't diminished any. And one more thing...

He scrawls a message onto a sheet of paper in the Goblin language, which he then marks with a small blue hand. Or possibly a small blue octopus, it's hard to say.

This pass should provide you free passage through the slums from Blue Hand interference. Granted, it won't work from any other crooks you might run into, but then it is your job to hunt down such types, so I assume you can handle them. Good luck out there, and buh-bye now!

Debatra
2011-11-07, 12:08 PM
"My name is Erinde. By the way, you never mentioned when the tournament is going to be?"

After a moment's thought, she adds, "And if one of my private contracts wants a Blue Hand; should I simply refuse, or 'bring them in'?"

hustlertwo
2011-11-07, 01:14 PM
Erinde, a pleasure. As for the tourney, it begins whenever we have enough people to fill in the main event, as well as the various undercards. Ten commoners against a table, four human children with sticks trying to beat back a wild badger. All that fun stuff.

In other words, whenever we have at least 3-4 PCs registered, or when we get tired of waiting on them and start anyhow (and you are part of that 'we' now, so if you'd rather start immediately than wait, let me know and it'll be considered). All slots open when we start will be taken by NPCs of roughly equal level and skill.

He ponders her final query.

I tell you what: if that occurs, just stall your employer, and come to me. We'll see who it is they want and whether they are worth more to us, or you. Might end up being one of our more crooked members, in which case we kill two birds with one arrow to the noggin.

As she turns to leave, he sprints back up to her, eyes wide with a new idea.

Actually, I think I have a job for you after all. There was a big dust-up here a few days back between our boys and the Skulkies. In the midst of it, myself and several of my clansmen were shot by bushwhacking ratlings wielding some sort of boomstick. Cost us a lot of good men, and while we stopped their assault, they all got away. I'm still sore from it, and I'm still sore about it. So let's say 600 gold if you can bring in, alive, a ratling involved in the attack for questioning. 200 if you bring in a working version of one of these weapons. An even 1,000 gold for both. Sound fair?

Lokio
2011-11-07, 01:28 PM
[[Noting a personal quest. Hustler, Wilstaff can afford to pay this bounty, yes?]]

Debatra
2011-11-07, 01:49 PM
"Sounds good. I'll be right on it."

Erinde exits back to her own thread.

hustlertwo
2011-11-07, 05:41 PM
Yeah, Wilstaff is now using Arena funds for the Extracity Watch as well, and even without another tournament there's a good 2,200 or so left in that pot right now.