PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS] Spirals, Assemble! (Avengers in TTGL Universe...)

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-07, 08:32 PM
A "What if?" Involving Marvel and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann; There Be SPOILERS

So, the thought randomly hit me whilst watching Captain America: Cap would have a heck of a lot of Spiral Power in the TTGL universe, if somehow he was dropped via a portal into that. And then I started wondering.

How epic of a team would the Avengers be, in that universe?

Base Assumptions
There can be speculation about other teams, but I'd like to keep the main focus on the original Avengers (Iron Man, Ant-Man, Wasp, Thor, Hulk, and Cap) or the movie Avengers (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye). Any of the supers have their abilities powered by Spiral Power, and thus limited by how much Spiral Power they possess.

Questions
What sort of Spiral Power would each character be likely able to tap into? Which member of the cast would be the most likely to deserve a Core Drill?

How powerful would they be against the TTGL main cast at the start of the series?

How quickly would they be able to take down the Spiral King?

How quickly would they be able to go toe-to-toe with the Antispirals?

My Own Thoughts
Cap would have a huge amount of Spiral Power to draw on, because of his sheer willpower and fighting spirit. So would Hulk, except that (not unlike Simon) Bruce Banner would likely be scared of his power, go a bit emo, and Cap would spend most of the series trying to get him to buck up and tap his potential.

I can't actually see Tony Stark mustering much Spiral Power, though perhaps he'd get a bit of the Kamina role, just more subdued and with more nonchalant swagger. In fact, he'd probably be the one to get everyone together. Thor would be an interesting case, but probably carry a hefty amount of Spiral Power as well.

Prime32
2011-11-07, 10:35 PM
How quickly would they be able to take down the Spiral King?However fast it happens, Dr. Doom beats them to it. :smalltongue:

Xondoure
2011-11-07, 10:54 PM
However fast it happens, Dr. Doom beats them to it. :smalltongue:

Dr. Doom is the spiral king! :smalltongue:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-08, 12:02 AM
It...whoa...WHOA... :smallbiggrin:

Eakin
2011-11-08, 12:18 AM
I think Tony Stark would be the Leeron of the group, rather than the Kamina.

Cap seems like he'd have the most spiral power/heroic willpower. Don't know enough about Thor to comment and the Hulk doesn't seem like he has the attitude of "push towards tomorrow with all your heart" so much as "flail around angrily at whatever is unfortunately to catch your attention"

Dragonus45
2011-11-08, 12:19 AM

Congratulations, you have just won the thread. Your prize if fifteen Internets, to be picked up at the nearest Borders Books at your convenience.

Prime32
2011-11-08, 09:24 AM

Cap seems like he'd have the most spiral power/heroic willpower. Don't know enough about Thor to comment and the Hulk doesn't seem like he has the attitude of "push towards tomorrow with all your heart" so much as "flail around angrily at whatever is unfortunately to catch your attention"Cap has plenty of willpower. However...

There was one story where an alien came to fight earth's heroes and defeated all of them until he came to The Thing. Despite being beaten down over and over, Ben Grimm kept getting up. The alien left impressed, saying something like "I may be able to break your bodies, but I can never break your spirit."

Then there's Marvel Zombies, where all superheroes are bitten by zombies. Everyone including Cap and The Thing succumbs to "the hunger" pretty quickly, but Spider-Man feels guilt about it and the Kingpin is able to stay in control well enough to spare his wife (until he gets upset).
Dr. Doom? His willpower was so great that he never even turned into a zombie, despite being bitten.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-08, 09:30 AM
Wait... wasn't spiderman one of the first zombies to regain conciousness (once they were in space eating everything?

And now I can't keep the image of the Gurren Laggan with repulsors out of my head... thanks OP.:smallbiggrin:

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-08, 09:54 AM

Cap seems like he'd have the most spiral power/heroic willpower. Don't know enough about Thor to comment and the Hulk doesn't seem like he has the attitude of "push towards tomorrow with all your heart" so much as "flail around angrily at whatever is unfortunately to catch your attention"

Spiral Power also covers fighting spirit, though.
Just who you think Hulk is?

irenicObserver
2011-11-08, 10:36 AM
The Hulk would have massive Spiral Power, merely an extension of his ability to grow stronger with anger. Cap would have massive spiral power boosting the effects of his Super Soldier abilities. The Wasp would have stinger drills, Giant Man would have unlimited growth potential. Thor's Hammer gains a massive drill on the end, he loves him some fighting. And lastly, Iron Man would form and endless progression of larger and larger armors around himself, eventually bigger than Galactus. Speaking of Galactus, he would no longer need to eat planets since Spiral Energy is an infinite source.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-08, 01:43 PM
Spiral Power also covers fighting spirit, though.
Just who you think Hulk is?
Correction.

Who you think Hulk? Hulk angry! HULK SMASH!!! *punches a hole through the fabric of space and time*

Mando Knight
2011-11-09, 12:56 PM
Any other role would be an INSULT to DOOM!

Or something similar. Leeron crossed with post-timeskip Rossiu, maybe. The latter especially if you want to dig up Civil War.

Once you get past his playboy-isms he's got the same heroic core that the others do, though. (Created prototype power armor in a cave, with a box of SCRAPS, while his heart was literally millimeters from death.) It's just really hard to separate the hero Iron Man from the playboy Stark, the two parts of his character are much more intertwined than Batman's.

hanzo66
2011-11-11, 02:00 PM
I'm a bit concerned on Hulk because I get the feeling he'd just go through "SPIRAL POW-BLOARRHGSDLFJEW" that Simon went through during his funk and tried to draw upon impotent rage. If he relied solely on rage it might not be "pure" or whatever.

Tony would probably be Leeron. Capable of using Spiral Power but mostly the guy that builds the machines.

So if Doom is the Spiral King, what does that make the Doombots? Gunmen?

The Glyphstone
2011-11-11, 02:09 PM
I'm a bit concerned on Hulk because I get the feeling he'd just go through "SPIRAL POW-BLOARRHGSDLFJEW" that Simon went through during his funk and tried to draw upon impotent rage. If he relied solely on rage it might not be "pure" or whatever.

Tony would probably be Leeron. Capable of using Spiral Power but mostly the guy that builds the machines.

So if Doom is the Spiral King, what does that make the Doombots? Gunmen?

No, other way round. When they defeat the Spiral King, it's revealed to have actually been a Doombot.

Mando Knight
2011-11-11, 03:18 PM
No, other way round. When they defeat the Spiral King, it's revealed to have actually been a Doombot.
Everything is a Doombot. Lazengann is a Doombot piloted by a Doombot. Lagann looks strangely like MODOK cosplaying as Doom's head.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-11, 07:48 PM
So instead of having a Mecha piloted by another mecha which is piloted by another mecha (Gurren-ception?) we have Doombotception?

I like it:smallcool:

Prime32
2011-11-12, 06:51 PM
Everything is a Doombot. Lazengann is a Doombot piloted by a Doombot. Lagann looks strangely like MODOK cosplaying as Doom's head."We stopped the moon!"
"The moon? No, that was a doombot."

Mando Knight
2011-11-12, 06:59 PM
Unmatched in heaven and earth, one machine, equal to the GODS!

SUPERGALACTIC DOOMBOT!

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-13, 12:48 AM
This may be the best alternate universe that never happens.

Curious
2011-11-13, 02:53 AM
Well, seeing as Dr. Doom is pretty much the paragon of willpower in all universes, he appears, finds that he can create things out of thin air, and becomes god. Then he creates a utopia where he rules forever.

Devonix
2011-11-13, 11:42 AM
Well, seeing as Dr. Doom is pretty much the paragon of willpower in all universes, he appears, finds that he can create things out of thin air, and becomes god. Then he creates a utopia where he rules forever.

Then he gets bored and either leaves or screws everyone over or people rise up against him because he's proven time and again that Doom actually wining allways gets gets bored or that people rebel.

Prime32
2011-11-13, 01:19 PM
Then he gets bored and either leaves or screws everyone over or people rise up against him because he's proven time and again that Doom actually wining allways gets gets bored or that people rebel.Actually, I'm pretty sure that time people rebelled he was just allowing them the ability to rebel out of boredom.

Morph Bark
2011-11-13, 06:52 PM
Any other role would be an INSULT to DOOM!

Or something similar. Leeron crossed with post-timeskip Rossiu, maybe. The latter especially if you want to dig up Civil War.

Once you get past his playboy-isms he's got the same heroic core that the others do, though. (Created prototype power armor in a cave, with a box of SCRAPS, while his heart was literally millimeters from death.) It's just really hard to separate the hero Iron Man from the playboy Stark, the two parts of his character are much more intertwined than Batman's.

So does Leeron. :smallwink:

I have a hard time not imagining the Hulk tapping into Spiral power, getting more hotblooded from it and thus opening that gate wider, tapping into more and more.

He'd end up constantly evolving.

In the end, the Avengers will be piloting the Hulk rather than mecha.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-13, 08:31 PM
So does Leeron. :smallwink:

I have a hard time not imagining the Hulk tapping into Spiral power, getting more hotblooded from it and thus opening that gate wider, tapping into more and more.

He'd end up constantly evolving.

In the end, the Avengers will be piloting the Hulk rather than mecha.

Wouldn't that just accelerate the spiral nemesis?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-14, 12:45 PM
Wouldn't that just accelerate the spiral nemesis?
I think the point of the series was that the Antispirals went far too Rossiou (in that he gave up on humanity's capability to stop the moon from falling on Earth, and thus took the "cut our losses" approach): they gave up on the capability of humanity to solve its problems, and defined controlling Spiral Power as "impossible"...in the end of the series, they're committed to making sure the Spiral Nemesis never happens.

Granted, they'd have to find some way to hold back the Hulk in this scenario...

Morph Bark
2011-11-14, 07:15 PM
Granted, they'd have to find some way to hold back the Hulk in this scenario...

Just as long as he doesn't manage to punch through planar barriers and steal a Red Power Ring from the DCU, we're prolly good.

Devonix
2011-11-14, 10:57 PM
I cannot believe that we have gotten this far without someone mentioning Gladiator.

His power is quite simply that he's powered by Confidence and Self belief. In a Universe where such powers are amplified there would be no stopping him.

Hulk = Madder he gets Stronger he gets
Gladiator = More he believes in himself Stronger and more powerful he gets And his Baseline strength is all ready more powerful than Near peak strength Hulk. It only goes up from there.

There is a reason he's on the Annihilators aka Most purely powerful team in Marvel.

kpenguin
2011-11-15, 01:15 AM
Mostly because that's one of Gladiator's weaknesses. Gladiator doesn't really have the self-esteem and belief to hold on to his powers if facing a truly powerful threat. His self-confidence (and thus powers) have dipped low enough for Cannonball, of all people, to beat him.

In a universe where everyone is powered by willpower and confidence, Gladiator's relative power is less impressive.

Devonix
2011-11-15, 01:25 PM
Which is why he needs a Kamina expy to teach him and This is the right universe for that.

And come now that was Cannonball he's cool. loved that Christmas Issue.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-15, 01:28 PM
How can a character's baseline strength be near peak Hulk power if Hulk's primary power is that he has theoretically infinite strength, limited only by how mad he gets?

kpenguin
2011-11-15, 01:36 PM
Depends on your Hulk interpretation. Some interpretations do indeed depict Hulk as a being of infinite power. Secret Wars, for example, in which the Beyonder acknowledges Hulk

Devonix
2011-11-15, 03:37 PM
How can a character's baseline strength be near peak Hulk power if Hulk's primary power is that he has theoretically infinite strength, limited only by how mad he gets?

Hulk's power being limitless is mainly Fanwank taking the whole Maddr Hulk Get and Strongest One there is as fact when its just Hulk shouting how no one can beat him.

There are plenty of people stronger Hulk at WWH levels still wasn't anywhere near as strong as Drax the Destroyer for example.

Anyway I was refering to Peak as in Hulks usual depictions at high strength.

irenicObserver
2011-11-17, 12:44 AM
The Spiral Nemesis could probably be countered by Galactus. There are beings in the Marvel Universe that made themselves immortal simply by pure willpower (read: obsession over something).
Just as long as he doesn't manage to punch through planar barriers and steal a Red Power Ring from the DCU, we're prolly good.

Which brings to mind, isn't Spiral Power and Green Lantern Power basically the same thing?

EDIT: In going along with Devonix (although not completely agreeing with him) There was a time when Hulk was travelling the multiverse where he came across a world where not only did the warriors there easily subdue and enslave him but another character made trees that ripped them to shreds.

Prime32
2011-11-17, 07:33 AM
Which brings to mind, isn't Spiral Power and Green Lantern Power basically the same thing?Yes.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/58424/1890397-1197515946724by8cm2.jpg

Morph Bark
2011-11-18, 03:16 PM
Which brings to mind, isn't Spiral Power and Green Lantern Power basically the same thing?

Yes. Though I admit not knowing the source of the picture Prime32 linked, but one of my friends just told me it is genuine and even admitted to be at least based on what you think it looks like.

Which brings to mind the wondering of how strong Spiral Power would be if it got combined with the TTGL-equivalent of Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue, Indigo and Violet Lantern Power into the TTGL-equivalent of White Lantern Power.

The Antispirals are obviously the TTGL-equivalent of Black Lantern Power.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-11-18, 03:25 PM
Wait, wait, wait. Shouldn't Stark be Kittan?

Prime32
2011-11-18, 03:58 PM
Which brings to mind the wondering of how strong Spiral Power would be if it got combined with the TTGL-equivalent of Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue, Indigo and Violet Lantern Power into the TTGL-equivalent of White Lantern Power.Well Kamina is obviously a Blue Lantern (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Lantern_Corps), supported by STTGL being blue-green.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/Mirror/a8d937b368023384933b84a414ae0b34.jpg

In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!

kpenguin
2011-11-18, 04:12 PM
This is supported somewhat by Word of God, which tells us that Kamina wasn't actually all that filled with Spiral Power... it was his ability to inspire others (especially Simon, who was filled up to the max with Spiral Power) that made him a key member of the brigade.

Much like how a Blue Lantern isn't all that powerful without a Green around, but together Hope and Will can bull over anything.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-11-18, 05:43 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/58424/1890397-1197515946724by8cm2.jpg

Is this GL referencing TTGL, or the other way around?