PDA

View Full Version : Need a good story again...(Book recomm given/needed)

Krazzman
2011-11-08, 03:39 PM
Good evening playground.

I for myself like to read as much as possible besides two things I dislike extreme long book series and drizzt (really he irks me to no end...).

But at first I would like to give some advice on books/series I liked.

Joe Hill - Heart-Shaped Box (Fantasy Thriller)
Joe Hill - Horns (Fantasy Thriller)
The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks (High Magic, Assassins)
Max Brooks - The Zombie Survival Guide
Licia Troisi - "Die Schattenkämpferin" (Wikipedia doesn't know the english name but still: Assassins)
SD Perry's - Resident Evil (Zombies Rawr :D)
Hohlbein - Anders (4 Books)
The Avatar Chronicles - V.A. (DnD)
The Diablo Book Series (Hack'n'Slay/Dark Fantasy)
Alexey Pehov - Shadow Prowler, Chaser, Blizzard (Master Thief instead of assassin, geniously plot)
Stephen King - all his books
Rafael Sabatini - Captain Blood
V.A. - Gotrek and Felix

That are the books I can still remember being awesome. But now I would like to get a bit of advice in what book(s) I should order along with AFMBE.

containing Assassins
containing mages
good story arc
no drizzt rip offs...
no terry pratchet (found out I don't like his books)
being DnD: Eberron or Faerun
Pathfinder? (Do they even have books yet?)
medium Star Trek
Zombies
is scary
Dark/High/Medium Fantasy
Damn funny

If a book you would recommend has two or more of the objects on this list as contend: please advise.

I wanted to order Stephen Kings - The Dark tower along with AFMBE, but I think some other books wouldn't be bad either.

Hope you can help me.

Gnoman
2011-11-08, 04:33 PM
Try the Starfleet Corps of Engineers series. (Originally ebook novellas, but many have been released in dead-tree omnibus editions.) The series itself is kind of long, but each individual story isn't.

They're about a team of Starfleet Engineers that flit around doing engineering work (for example, the first story involves them analyzing a colossal ship that fought the Enterprise-E to a standstill for more than 8 hours) after the Dominion war. There's a fair bit of action, a decent amount of humor, and a surprisingly low amount of technobabble.

hamishspence
2011-11-08, 05:04 PM
For humour, assassins, and D&D Faerun, Elaine Cunningham's Arilyn Moonblade series may qualify (Elfsong, Elfshadow, Silver Shadows, The Dream Spheres)

It's also sold as a 5 part series (Songs & Swords) but part 4 (Thornhold, between Silver Shadows & Dream Spheres) does not focus on her and is not strictly necessary- though is entertaining in its own right.

BiblioRook
2011-11-08, 06:58 PM
For humour, assassins, and D&D Faerun, Elaine Cunningham's Arilyn Moonblade series may qualify (Elfsong, Elfshadow, Silver Shadows, The Dream Spheres)

It's also sold as a 5 part series (Songs & Swords) but part 4 (Thornhold, between Silver Shadows & Dream Spheres) does not focus on her and is not strictly necessary- though is entertaining in its own right.

Interestingly enough, not only are there Pathfinder books but there is one written by Elaine Cunningham

Starwulf
2011-11-11, 06:45 AM
Good evening playground.

I for myself like to read as much as possible besides two things I dislike extreme long book series and drizzt (really he irks me to no end...).

But at first I would like to give some advice on books/series I liked.

Joe Hill - Heart-Shaped Box (Fantasy Thriller)
Joe Hill - Horns (Fantasy Thriller)
The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks (High Magic, Assassins)
Max Brooks - The Zombie Survival Guide
Licia Troisi - "Die Schattenkämpferin" (Wikipedia doesn't know the english name but still: Assassins)
SD Perry's - Resident Evil (Zombies Rawr :D)
Hohlbein - Anders (4 Books)
The Avatar Chronicles - V.A. (DnD)
The Diablo Book Series (Hack'n'Slay/Dark Fantasy)
Alexey Pehov - Shadow Prowler, Chaser, Blizzard (Master Thief instead of assassin, geniously plot)
Stephen King - all his books
Rafael Sabatini - Captain Blood
V.A. - Gotrek and Felix

That are the books I can still remember being awesome. But now I would like to get a bit of advice in what book(s) I should order along with AFMBE.

containing Assassins
containing mages
good story arc
no drizzt rip offs...
no terry pratchet (found out I don't like his books)
being DnD: Eberron or Faerun
Pathfinder? (Do they even have books yet?)
medium Star Trek
Zombies
is scary
Dark/High/Medium Fantasy
Damn funny

If a book you would recommend has two or more of the objects on this list as contend: please advise.

I wanted to order Stephen Kings - The Dark tower along with AFMBE, but I think some other books wouldn't be bad either.

Hope you can help me.

I would highly recommend the Dark Tower series, it really is an excellent set of books, and if you enjoy fantasy mixed with a terrific dollop of horror and freakishness, you'll have the cream of the crop. Really can't say enough about it, it's truly an awesome series.

Also: War of the Mein series by David Anthony Durham, excellent fantasy book series that defies the traditional conventions of writing, and it is written by an author who has a teaching degree in History, so his set-up of battles and stuff are top-notch.

Krazzman
2011-11-11, 08:37 AM
I would highly recommend the Dark Tower series, it really is an excellent set of books, and if you enjoy fantasy mixed with a terrific dollop of horror and freakishness, you'll have the cream of the crop. Really can't say enough about it, it's truly an awesome series.

Also: War of the Mein series by David Anthony Durham, excellent fantasy book series that defies the traditional conventions of writing, and it is written by an author who has a teaching degree in History, so his set-up of battles and stuff are top-notch.

Yeah, had the Dark tower ordered on wednesday got all (except 6 and 7 which will wait) except the first one yesterday (actually I#ve read the first one before) but ordered the german version because... well let's just say i spared 20 € doing so.

Thanks so far for your recommendations.