PDA

View Full Version : Kobold sorcerer

hushblade
2011-11-08, 04:22 PM
Whats this I hear about them being able to get spells faster? Can anyone tell me how that works?

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-08, 05:14 PM
Whats this I hear about them being able to get spells faster? Can anyone tell me how that works?

See for yourself (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). Scroll down to the part that says "Kobold Ritual"

JaronK
2011-11-08, 05:20 PM

As the poster above me said, Greater Draconic Rite helps. The other one requires being Dragonwrought (which makes you a dragon, and due to Races of the Dragon's special rules for Kobolds this ends up making them count as True Dragons). You then can use the setting specific Dragons of Eberron book to take the Loredrake option (available to dragons, though it's implied it's only for True Dragons) which gives you +2 Sorcerer spell levels. Note this was clearly not intended (the two books were written almost simultaneously by different people, so neither group realized this interaction would happen).

JaronK

Yorae
2011-11-08, 05:23 PM
Dragonwrought Kobolds can undertake the Greater Ritual of Draconic Passage, which increases their spellcasting progression by one level, putting their progression on-par with a Wizard.

Also, if your DM allows extreme cheese, you can also take the Loredrake template, which can only be applied to true Dragons (which, in all measurable ways, Dragonwrought Kobolds are). The disadvantages to it don't hurt you at all and it grants you an additional 2 levels of effective sorcerer progression.

Edit: Swordsage'd

JaronK
2011-11-08, 05:32 PM
Dragonwrought Kobolds can undertake the Greater Ritual of Draconic Passage, which increases their spellcasting progression by one level, putting their progression on-par with a Wizard.

Note that all Kobolds can do this. Dragonwrought is not required for this.

Also, if your DM allows extreme cheese, you can also take the Loredrake template, which can only be applied to true Dragons (which, in all measurable ways, Dragonwrought Kobolds are). The disadvantages to it don't hurt you at all and it grants you an additional 2 levels of effective sorcerer progression.

This does require being Dragonwrought. Cheesy as heck, but perhaps in very high optimization games it's okay. There's actually a bunch of bizarre rules stuff that happens with Dragonwrought, mostly having to do with the fact that True Dragons were underpowered to play as PCs due to high LA and Racial HD, and Kobolds were underpowered due to just being weak, but lots of designers made special rules to boost both and putting them together gets you something insanely powerful.

JaronK

Retech
2011-11-08, 07:02 PM
+White Dragonspawn Abomination Sidebar

JaronK
2011-11-08, 07:03 PM
Though note that due to LA that might not help so much. With LA Paydown it may be worthwhile.

JaronK