PDA

View Full Version : The Alloy Of Law

Dalenthas
2011-11-09, 04:58 AM
Hey all, I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has read The Alloy of Law, a new book by Brandon Sanderson, set in the world of Mistborn three hundred years after the original trilogy. I highly recommend it, espeically if you've already read the Mistborn trilogy. If you haven't you could still read it, as it's a stand-alone book, but you won't understand many of the subtle references to the previous trilogy and it may spoil some things for you. Honestly I'd start with the first book and work your way up to it, they're all very good and all well worth the read.

I've started a TV Tropes page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAlloyOfLaw) for it, but it needs a lot of help. Thanks for the assistance!

Douglas
2011-11-09, 11:21 AM
I read it last night. It's less substantial than his other works, but that's to be expected from something that randomly developed out of taking a break from a bigger project and it's still good. I like how he handled incorporating the first trilogy's events into the mythology.

Spoilers
Spook's street slang dialect as "High Imperial" was hilarious. Makes sense given that he became the "Lord Mistborn", though.

I liked how Sazed was handled - he's there, and he does intervene, but his philosophy quite naturally prevents any heavy-handed deus ex machina acts. Delivering Wax's own weapons and mistcloak to him in a jam seems an entirely appropriate act of intervention, effective and minimalist while also perfectly suited to the recipient. The small portion of dialog between Sazed and Wax was also well done.

Marsh showing up at the end to take a more direct hand in explicit disagreement with Sazed, though still only providing information, was also interesting. Makes me wonder exactly what that information is, though. I think Brandon mentioned somewhere he might do a sequel (specifically an AoL sequel, not the extra trilogies that have been planned forever), which would presumably develop it.

I'm wondering a little if the police chief guy at the end got replaced by a Kandra. Wax is surprised by some of the things he does, and they all seem like things a "Hand of Harmony" might do to subtly encourage and facilitate a hero. On the other hand, that would require killing said police chief, and while that would also match with his stated upcoming retirement I don't know how readily Sazed or his supposed "Hands" would decide to take that step.

Has anyone spotted Hoid yet? I believe Brandon said in an interview that he's in there somewhere, though the events this time around are of less interest to him so he has a particularly small role. I haven't figured out who it is yet, though I haven't done much thinking about it.

Helanna
2011-11-09, 08:00 PM
Just finished reading it. I enjoyed it a lot, and it was nice to get a short, not-a-thousand-pages-long-epic from Sanderson in between his other works (seriously, does the man ever stop writing?!)

I read it last night. It's less substantial than his other works, but that's to be expected from something that randomly developed out of taking a break from a bigger project and it's still good. I like how he handled incorporating the first trilogy's events into the mythology.

Spoilers
Spook's street slang dialect as "High Imperial" was hilarious. Makes sense given that he became the "Lord Mistborn", though.

I liked how Sazed was handled - he's there, and he does intervene, but his philosophy quite naturally prevents any heavy-handed deus ex machina acts. Delivering Wax's own weapons and mistcloak to him in a jam seems an entirely appropriate act of intervention, effective and minimalist while also perfectly suited to the recipient. The small portion of dialog between Sazed and Wax was also well done.

Marsh showing up at the end to take a more direct hand in explicit disagreement with Sazed, though still only providing information, was also interesting. Makes me wonder exactly what that information is, though. I think Brandon mentioned somewhere he might do a sequel (specifically an AoL sequel, not the extra trilogies that have been planned forever), which would presumably develop it.

I'm wondering a little if the police chief guy at the end got replaced by a Kandra. Wax is surprised by some of the things he does, and they all seem like things a "Hand of Harmony" might do to subtly encourage and facilitate a hero. On the other hand, that would require killing said police chief, and while that would also match with his stated upcoming retirement I don't know how readily Sazed or his supposed "Hands" would decide to take that step.

Has anyone spotted Hoid yet? I believe Brandon said in an interview that he's in there somewhere, though the events this time around are of less interest to him so he has a particularly small role. I haven't figured out who it is yet, though I haven't done much thinking about it.

I could not stop laughing when High Imperial was revealed to be street slang. That was just hilarious. Probably one of the best parts in the entire book for me. :smallbiggrin:

I really liked all the references to the Mistborn trilogy, actually. Subtle, but a nice touch. I liked seeing more about Sazed's religion, and the splinter religions. Also, wasn't Trell that god whose eyes were the stars? How'd Miles hear about that one? And then Marsh and Sazed showing up at the end was just fantastic. Sazed's doing a good job of being a good benevolent deity, and Marsh is, as always, badass. Come on. He's basically thought of as Death. That's just awesome. Although . . . just what the hell is the Set doing that got Marsh directly involved?

Also, half the characters from Mistborn got stuff like streets named after them. Vin got a kick-ass, one-of-a-kind gun named after her. It feels very appropriate.

RE: Kandra: A post in this (http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/406-the-official-alloy-of-law-discussion-thread-spoilers/page__st__100) thread states that the Faceless Immortals, stated in the book to be Hands of Harmony, are all but confirmed to be Kandra. I have no idea what kind of evidence that poster has but it would make an awful lot of sense . . . maybe the police chief was killed by someone else and the Hands of Harmony just took advantage of it? Seems unlikely, but I agree that just killing the guy doesn't seem like something they'd do.

I completely neglected to look for Hoid, and I can't really remember many minor characters that seemed like him . . . though that would be the point, I suppose.

I also liked the ending - leaves the way open for a sequel, should Sanderson feel so inclined, but it also feels resolved enough to stand on its own. The main bad guy is taken care of, but there's still a larger ring out there. Wax, Wayne, and Marasi can take them down.

I also like that Wax decided to continue his arranged marriage. I was half-expecting the obvious "Got over the fact that I killed my last girlfriend a couple months ago and then fell for this other chick in a day and a half timespan" ending, and I'm glad it was subverted. Maybe in any future sequels, if they spent more time together and that aspect was more developed, it would work better, but for now I really liked it this way. Besides, I kinda like Steris by the end.

Reverent-One
2011-11-09, 08:29 PM
*Reads thread title*

Huh, that reminds me of the Mistborn series.

*Opens thread*

Holy Lord Ruler, Batman! It is about the Mistborn series.

Thank you for informing me about this, I will need to pick it up. Give me something to do while I impatiently wait for the next book in the Stormlight Archive.

Douglas
2011-11-09, 08:40 PM
(seriously, does the man ever stop writing?!)
Only to write something else. :smallamused:

I could not stop laughing when High Imperial was revealed to be street slang. That was just hilarious. Probably one of the best parts in the entire book for me. :smallbiggrin:
Yeah, definitely the funniest part of the book.

"Can anyone read High Imperial?"
"Er, a little..."
"Let's see, 'wasing the where of needing'..."
:smallconfused::smallamused::smallamused::smallamu sed::smallbiggrin:

I still crack up thinking about it. It makes perfect sense given Spooks role after Hero of Ages, but the very idea is just so absurd.

I really liked all the references to the Mistborn trilogy, actually. Subtle, but a nice touch. I liked seeing more about Sazed's religion, and the splinter religions. Also, wasn't Trell that god whose eyes were the stars? How'd Miles hear about that one?
Miles learned about it from the Words of Founding, the books Sazed left behind full of all his knowledge from his copperminds at the very end of Hero of Ages. He moved the world back to its proper place, fixed it up, sheltered everyone, created a fantastically fertile area to allow easy recovery, fixed all ailments (Brandon mentioned in a Q&A that Cett even got his legs healed), made Spook a mistborn, and created books containing his accumulated knowledge as a Keeper. Those books included all of his knowledge of pre-Rashek religions, and I'm sure the entirety of all of those books are quite commonly mass produced.

And then Marsh and Sazed showing up at the end was just fantastic. Sazed's doing a good job of being a good benevolent deity, and Marsh is, as always, badass. Come on. He's basically thought of as Death. That's just awesome. Although . . . just what the hell is the Set doing that got Marsh directly involved?
Who knows?

You know, I remember Brandon mentioning that the second planned trilogy will feature a mistborn serial killer as an antagonist. Maybe the theory about trying to breed a mistborn is correct, and this is where said antagonist comes from? It seems like there might be enough of a time gap between Alloy of Law and the next trilogy for that to fit. I'd guess Marsh would object on ethical grounds due to the methods (rape just for starters) used.

Also, half the characters from Mistborn got stuff like streets named after them. Vin got a kick-ass, one-of-a-kind gun named after her. It feels very appropriate.
Vindicator is an actual word, I don't think it's named after Vin.

maybe the police chief was killed by someone else and the Hands of Harmony just took advantage of it? Seems unlikely, but I agree that just killing the guy doesn't seem like something they'd do.
Possible, I suppose, but it seems too much of a fortuitous coincidence.

I also liked the ending - leaves the way open for a sequel, should Sanderson feel so inclined, but it also feels resolved enough to stand on its own. The main bad guy is taken care of, but there's still a larger ring out there. Wax, Wayne, and Marasi can take them down.

I also like that Wax decided to continue his arranged marriage. I was half-expecting the obvious "Got over the fact that I killed my last girlfriend a couple months ago and then fell for this other chick in a day and a half timespan" ending, and I'm glad it was subverted. Maybe in any future sequels, if they spent more time together and that aspect was more developed, it would work better, but for now I really liked it this way. Besides, I kinda like Steris by the end.
Yeah, it wraps up enough that I wouldn't be too disappointed by the lack of a sequel while leaving enough open to make an obvious foundation for the possibility of one. It's a nice balance.

I get the feeling Steris is going to learn a great deal from Wax over the next few months and years, particularly about loosening up and people skills. She's had far too much formal everything-is-for-show structure in her life, and Wax will be a great big blast of genuineness in everything.

It would be interesting to see the evolution of her marriage contract (complete with dispensation for misstresses:smalltongue:) as their relationship continues. Should we try to bug Brandon into actually writing the thing?:smallbiggrin:

cnsvnc
2011-11-10, 06:03 AM
Hoid is the scruffy looking guy at the wedding in preview chapters. He doesn't really do anything we can see.

As for Vindication
Gunsmith explicitly mentions naming it after the Ascendant Warrior.

As an aside, lightsaber has been dethroned. Vindication is the coolest weapon ever conceived now.

Dalenthas
2011-11-12, 07:18 AM
Hoid is the scruffy looking guy at the wedding in preview chapters. He doesn't really do anything we can see.

Yeah, that's what I got too. "Waxillium didn't know them, though he did wonder why they were speaking with a scruffy man who looked like a beggar, dressed all in black."

The Law of Conservation of Detail basically states that he HAS to be Hoid, as he serves no other point in the book.

Battleship789
2011-11-13, 03:09 AM
Finished it earlier today and I was surprised by how short it was. (Being a book by Sanderson, I expected it to be at least 50% longer. But that is OK, it lets him move along on the final Wheel of Time book and more Stormlight Archive.)

Yeah, that's what I got too. "Waxillium didn't know them, though he did wonder why they were speaking with a scruffy man who looked like a beggar, dressed all in black."

The Law of Conservation of Detail basically states that he HAS to be Hoid, as he serves no other point in the book.

Additionally, the characters who are speaking with, presumably, Hoid are based off of some of the admins from the forum that was linked to earlier. They like to make theories. Lots of theories.

It is interesting to note that this suggests that Hoid gets to different places in the Cosmere at FTL speeds, since Warbreaker takes place around the same time as Alloy of Law.

I liked the book quite a bit, though there wasn't much time spent on the newly revealed parts of the magic system. :( Oh well, having Marsh at the end of the book was worth it, I couldn't stop smiling while I read his part, though I kept expecting him to show up earlier because I knew he was still alive during the events of AoL. (Marsh is my favorite character in the series.)

In case you are wondering, the earring that Wax uses while praying is, indeed, a Hemalurgic spike (it is actually a piece of an old Inquisitor spike and is thus very weak) and the Faceless Immortals are Kandra, which should be fairly obvious (faceless and immortal, one doesn't need much else.) Additionally, most followers of the Path have Hemalurgic earrings given to them by Kandra.

It has been speculated that the Chief died from natural causes and then was taken over by a Kandra. (Whoever the Kandra is working for is debatable.)

With the second trilogy, the Mistborn serial killer is being tracked down by a team comprised of Allomancers and Feruchemists (Think the Criminal Minds TV series but with the Metallic Arts and it is much more dangerous) and the main viewpoint character in the series is a Nicrosil Misting on the team.

Emmerask
2011-11-20, 10:58 AM
I actually liked it more then the original mistborn saga I must say.

Mainly because it is one of the few fantasy worlds where technology is actually evolving and not a time frozen land which made no technological advances the last 100000000000000 years.

I also really liked the 2 main characters. Overall a pretty good prologue to a new mistborn series in the future :smallwink:

Lord of the Helms
2011-11-22, 01:29 AM
I actually liked it more then the original mistborn saga I must say.

Mainly because it is one of the few fantasy worlds where technology is actually evolving and not a time frozen land which made no technological advances the last 100000000000000 years.

I also really liked the 2 main characters. Overall a pretty good prologue to a new mistborn series in the future :smallwink:

1000 years, actually, and even then it was amusingly anachronistic (there were pocket watches but not guns etc).

But it is very fun to see Sandorson combine a cool, unusual magic system with Industrial-Age technology, especially when the system is, very fittingly, metal-based, and it would be very interesting to see the Mistbornverse move into modern or futuristic technology and have Allomancy interact with it.

Emmerask
2011-11-22, 07:21 AM
In the original Mistborn saga it actually made sense that there where only minimal advances seeing that the Lord Ruler discouraged it if I remember correctly. Now that he is long gone it makes sense that technology advances.

The remark was more targeted towards stories like Faerun, lord of the rings etc where the kingdoms/empires have a long period of stability without nearly any technological advances made... which is a bit unrealistic :smallbiggrin: