PDA

View Full Version : Question about spiderman comics

Fri
2011-11-10, 07:01 AM
There's a simple question that had been bothering me for years now, about spiderman comics. I haven't actually read main spiderman comics since my elementary school (I only read ultimates and limited series for years), and back then I just didn't care about it I guess, but as an adult, it makes me wonder.

I know the difference between say, spiderman and ultimate spiderman and alternate universe stuffs. I also know the difference between various x-men titles (most of different titles are about different teams and such)

But what are the difference/purpose between various spiderman title, like The Amazing Spiderman, Spectacular Spiderman, Webs of Spiderman or whatever else they have. Since I notice that they're all about mainstream spiderman. Are they related to each others? Do people have to read all of them or they can just read one title? Basically, what' with all those titles?

Thanks before.

bloodtide
2011-11-14, 04:46 PM
To sell comics and make Marvel money, is the real answer.

The idea was simple enough: Once upon a time, there was just one Spidey book. And it sold well. So the idea was, why not make another Spidey book....so they did and it sold well. And then they did it again.

For the most part, each Spidey book is self contained. They have done 'crossovers' a bunch of times, where each book gets like four parts of a twelve part story. And they do all get caught up in the same Marvel Events. But mostly they are separate.

Selrahc
2011-11-14, 05:04 PM
Spider-Man sells comics is the basic reason.

Things are a little more complicated than that. Sometimes Marvel wants to give different creative teams a shot at Spider-Man. Sometimes the comics exist to tell different types of Spider-Stories, such as when one comic focussed on the Bugle, while another looked at Pete's university life. Or for a certain theme, like Marvel Knights: Spiderman telling darker tales, or Friendly Neighbourhood being based on more lighthearted affairs.

Most of the time, you won't need to read any other Spider-Comics beyond one to get the story. Crossovers will happen from time to time though.

Fri
2011-11-15, 08:16 AM
Thanks man. Finally I get it after all these years.