PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone reading any of DC's New 52?

Axolotl
2011-11-11, 06:42 PM
So now it's been going for a few months now and we should be able to see which of the series are good and which aren't. The only series I've tried so far is Demon Knights I was slightly dissapointed but I think I'll stick with it. Now I'm wondering what other series are worth following, I'm considering picking up Stormwatch because it's apprently connected to Demon Knights but I'm put off because I really liked the old Stormwatch.

So if any of you are following any series which ones are you reading and which of them are good? And which aren't?

Zevox
2011-11-11, 07:25 PM
I'm not actually reading any yet - I only read trades - bu I've heard that the ones I'm interested in, the four Green Lantern books and Firestorm, are good. Though the one I keep hearing is the best is Aquaman, surprisingly. Which does tempt me a little, since Mera is in it, but Aquaman is still the main character, and I still don't really care about him.

Zevox

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-11, 07:45 PM
I didn't know about them; but upon a quick check in Wikipedia I am really interested to read some of them (Mostly the Green Lantern and specifically the Red Lantern series)

And if it is possible perhaps getting the compilation of all the # 1....

LightsOnNo1Home
2011-11-14, 01:23 PM
I'm reading three of the batman ones (Batman, Detective Comics, and The Dark Knight)

I'm enjoying them so far, but they haven't really had a chance to get properly going yet.

Of the three, so far I'm liking Detective Comics the best, although that could be because so far it's had the least involvement from Batman's menagerie of hangers on, who tend to annoy me (hence why I'm not reading "Batman and Robin")

What I would say is, it's a very good time to get into (or back into) a series. I haven't read any Batman in years, apart from the odd one off graphic novel, and at any other time I would expect to be very, very lost after just having read 2/3 books on such a long running character as this.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2011-11-14, 02:12 PM
I've enjoyed most of them however, I've only read issue #1 of many of them.

Aquaman
Aquaman was very unique in that it dealt a lot with how people look down on Aquaman for the perceived lameness of his powers.

Batgirl
While I'm disappointed in the route they took for the character of Batgirl, I am intrigued by how they cured her, and watching her deal with the trauma of the incident was heart-wrenching.

Red Lanterns 1 & 3
Hmmmmm...character development from the Red Lanterns. I didn't really see that coming. Also, we're getting some backstories.

Batwing
Heck of a way to start and end the first issue. The character seems likable.

My roomie collects DC comics, so I've read a lot, but they all kinda blur together to me, so I can't really say too much on the individual series.

horus42
2011-11-14, 03:17 PM
I've been following Green Lantern, GL: New Guardians, Green Arrow (What is it with me and green?) Justice League, and Justice League Dark.

My thoughts so far:

GL: Seeing Hal and Sinestro working together is great. The way their characters play off each other really makes this title. The only bad thing I can say about it is that don't want to have to wait a month to find out what happened after issue #3. MAJOR SPOILER
Hal apparently dies. Although the only people in comics who stay dead are Batman's parents and Spider-Man's uncle, so we'll see how long this lasts...

New Guardians: Not bad. I'm still curious as to why all these rings are suddenly choosing Kyle, and I think that with the team assembled, only disaster and hilarity will ensue.

Green Arrow: Surprisingly good. Even if a large chunk of my enjoyment comes only from Ollie's snarking.

Justice League: It's interesting to see how the team got together, and I like the angle of "Superheroes are new and scary" it has going on. Also GL and the Flash's amazement that Batman is real.

Justice League Dark: Not really catching me. I picked it up out of curiosity, because I tend to like supernatural and occult stories, but the only characters in it I was familiar with beforehand were Deadman and John Constantine. Couple that with the fact that two issues in, nothing has really happened yet, and I might end up dropping this one.

Jerthanis
2011-11-15, 01:25 AM
I'm reading Batgirl and Superman. They're both pretty good, although I continue to hate the fact that comics don't want to have married characters.

I've enjoyed Superman so far, but I couldn't really tell you any reason in particular. I'd probably try some weak thing like, "It's got natural dialogue" or something, but I think overall it's just a matter of every aspect of the book so far being just a bit above average.

Batgirl was kind of an impossible situation, and I can understand people who don't like that she's been cured but... I got into the idea of Batgirl after her fantastic introduction episodes in Batman the animated series, and found out that in comics, she was paralyzed and was a wheelchair bound missions operator. Oh... huh... Well, I guess that's cool too... in its own way... I never really stopped being disappointed that she wasn't still a superhero. Considering all the deaths and maimings and other forms of retirement which get reversed all the time, I think Barbara Gordon was about due.

I started reading Batwoman, but I don't think I'll keep up with it. The villain is some sort of ghost and really isn't the focus of the story as it deals with her family history and closet skeletons, but in a way that makes her really come off as the most unreasonable person in the whole mess. It's not making me like her and I have to like her to care about such a sticky situation. I'll give her another issue to turn it around.

I tend to avoid Batman because he's got a bit of the Wolverine syndrome... where he's so popular he bends time and space to allow him bonus superpowers like omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence. Maybe I'll pick up one of his new adventures in trades if one of them stands out as the best of his four titles.