PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Zevox
2011-11-11, 08:11 PM
So, the pilot of this just debuted today. Anybody else catch it?

Gotta say, it wasn't half bad. Not quite as good as I'd have hoped, but still. The action was quite good, the banter with Hal and Kilowog was good, and it was on the whole entertaining, even if the plot was kinda simple (though with perhaps some promise to get better).

My complaints mostly center around the Red Lanterns. They seemed like an odd villain choice to me to begin with, both because the Sinestro Corps seems like a more logical choice and because the Red Lanterns' powers resembling and being based partially around blood does not really fit with a Cartoon Network show oriented towards kids. And in the latter case I was definitely right - their powers now seem to mostly just be those of the Green Lanterns, but red and more volatile-looking, with the only exception being a couple of instances where they vomited up a wave of red-light energy, but even that still just looked and acted like a simple force blast type of attack. Which is disappointing - part of what makes each of the Lantern Corps in the comics interesting is that, with the exception of the Sinestro Corps (which makes sense, given their rings were designed by an ex-Green Lantern), all have powers that differ from the Green Lanterns', rather than just being the same but a different color. It's a pity that's not the case in this show.

The other complaints I had were mainly that the Red Lanterns really don't seem all that angry - I mean, I completely understand changing them so that they can talk normally if you're going to make them the main antagonists of a show like this, but even beyond that they don't exactly act like the Red Lanterns of the comics. You don't get the impression that they were chosen for their great rage, they're just villains. Really, I could see them mostly fitting better in the Sinestro Corps as far as the comics go.

Beyond that, I'd mainly say that I'd have preferred more traditional-looking animation to the 3D CGI, and Atrocitus doesn't look quite right (mainly his face).

But yeah, in spite of those complaints, I enjoyed it, and I think I'll start watching it regularly. Works out nicely for me that it looks like they intend to run it right after Young Justice.

Zevox

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-11, 08:50 PM
Damn did they already fired the pilot episode? I read the series was planned for release in 2012.

As for why they chose the Red Lanterns as enemies I read (same source as before) that it was because the films had the right so sinestro and the corps, it also implied they were more GL movies planned which considering the stinger of the movie I don't doubt it.

Still I will try to catch them in the future, my only wish is for Dex-star to appear he is the coolest Red lantern Ever!

Zevox
2011-11-11, 08:57 PM
Damn did they already fired the pilot episode? I read the series was planned for release in 2012.
It might be - this was just the pilot episodes, and the commercials were calling it a "special event." I just know that the one-hour pilot debuted today right after Young Justice.

Still I will try to catch them in the future, my only wish is for Dex-star to appear he is the coolest Red lantern Ever!
Well, he wasn't in the pilot, unfortunately. Only Atrocitus, Zillius Zox (the one that looks like a large round head with short, stubby arms and legs, and a large mouth filled with pointy teeth), and a new Red Lantern called Razor. Hopefully he'll be in the show in the future though - that could make for some great humor.

Zevox

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-11, 09:00 PM
Hmm I see, well I'll try to catch the pilot on the interwebs I am pretty sure youtube or other sight might already have it online :smallamused:

Mando Knight
2011-11-11, 09:37 PM
Zillius Zox (the one that looks like a large round head with short, stubby arms and legs, and a large mouth filled with pointy teeth)
I call him Red Lantern MODOK. :smalltongue:

Also...
I smelled death and heel-face turning coming from a half-hour away. Also the purpose of the Guardian's "scenic route." :smallamused:

ThePhantasm
2011-11-13, 12:03 PM
I watched the first two eps and they were great. I like the CG, which I thought I wouldn't care for. It reminds me of the Incredibles.

Maxios
2011-11-13, 03:11 PM
It was a lot better then I thought it would be. But then again, the guy from Batman: TAS made it so of course it's good.

Zevox
2011-11-13, 03:14 PM
I watched the first two eps and they were great. I like the CG, which I thought I wouldn't care for. It reminds me of the Incredibles.
Yeah, I suppose it is a little reminiscent of The Incredibles, but I'd still prefer more traditional animation myself. Just my personal taste.

Zevox

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-13, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I suppose it is a little reminiscent of The Incredibles, but I'd still prefer more traditional animation myself. Just my personal taste.

Zevox

I agree with Zevox here, the GCI doesn't looks bad; but I think more traditional animation a la "First Flight" would have been better.