PDA

View Full Version : Soundtracks

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-11-12, 12:11 AM
I like to listen to game and movie soundtracks while I write. I notice that the nature of the music can effect the nature of my writing.

My favorite game soundtracks for writing include:

Alice: Madness Returns
Bastion
Halo 3
American McGee's Alice
Escape From the Underworld

My favorite movie soundtracks for writing include:

Coraline
Tron Legacy
Lord of the Rings

dgnslyr
2011-11-12, 12:20 AM
Square's put out some pretty phenomenal soundtracks. I've been listening to Final Fantasy Tactics lately, in particular. It's got a very nice orchestral style that fits in with the medieval, pseudo-historic setting. It's actually a very pretty game on the whole, in addition to it's lovely gameplay.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-11-12, 07:59 PM
Also, while playing games, I almost never listen to the soundtrack of the game I'm playing, and put on something else instead. While playing Team Fortress 2, I like to put on various Call of Duty soundtracks. While playing The Binding of Issac, I like to listen to the Coraline soundtrack. While playing Bloodline Champions, I put on the soundtrack for Halo 3.

Science Officer
2011-11-12, 11:23 PM
Yes, Final Fantasy Tactics has some excellent soundtracks, though I've only played Advance and A2.

Right now, the soundtrack I listen to the most is "Of Men and Shadows" for the Shadows of Esteren RPG (http://www.myspace.com/esteren/music/). Really cool stuff.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-11-13, 12:10 AM
I just wrote a short Sci-Fi story to the Halo 3 and Tron Legacy soundtracks. Having appropriate music playing really helps.

GoblinArchmage
2011-11-14, 01:41 AM
Video games:
All Zelda games
Brutal Legend (of course)
Shadow of the Colossus

There must be some more, but I can't think of any other great examples right now.

Movies:
Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny
The Terminator movies
The Flight of Dragons

Oddly enough, I don't like to listen to music when I write. It distracts me.

Feytalist
2011-11-14, 03:05 AM
Oooh, I've got a whole bunch of soundtracks I listen to while I'm studying, or working. Or reading. Or doing anything at all, really. I think it's because it's actually meant to be background music, so it tends not to interrupt your concentration.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 (and Advent Children). Nobuo Uematsu is a genius.
Age of Empires 1 and 2. I like medieval-type music in general.
Diablo 2. (1 had very generic music, except for the Tristram theme. I can listen to that one on repeat for ever.)
For a bit more industrial-type kick, the Red Alert series had some great tracks. I like Tiberian Sun's the most.
Prince of Persia (the Sands of Time series). Eastern influenced. Except maybe Warrior Within.

Some anime soundtracks as well:
Ghost in the Shell: SAC and 2nd GIG. (it's Yoko Kanno. what else do you expect.)
Cowboy Bebop. Same reason as above.
Some random ones. Black Cat. Mushishi (brilliant). Escaflowne. Gankutsuou.

As for movies, anything by Ennio Morricone or Vangelis, really. My favourites are Requiem for a Dream, 1492 Conquest of Paradise and Blade Runner, strangely.

Brother Oni
2011-11-14, 01:39 PM
Further to the above:

Conan the Barbarian
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero

Virtually any soundtrack by John Williams or Hans Zimmer also fits the bill.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-11-14, 03:17 PM
Conan the Barbarian

The passable old one, or the terrible new one?

Brother Oni
2011-11-14, 05:12 PM
The passable old one, or the terrible new one?

The old one of course, but I'm surprised that you regard it as only 'passable'. :smallconfused:

TheEmerged
2011-11-14, 05:23 PM
Video Game: "Tropico". Otherwise a passable city-building game, the soundtrack is worth the cost of the CD. I used to load this game and leave it on the start screen (which cycled the entire soundtrack).

Movie: "The Transformers Movie". Not to be confused with that series of CGI movies starring Shia whatshisname with random cameos by robots, this is frankly my favorite album of the 80's. I played my old VHS tape until it was getting worn, but it's the strangest thing. I got the DVD & soundtrack as a birthday present, and I think I've only played the DVD once or twice.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-11-14, 09:03 PM
The old one of course, but I'm surprised that you regard it as only 'passable'. :smallconfused:

It was pretty good, but it didn't really capture the original Robert E. Howard stories. It felt a little to stiff and tame. Arnold also didn't really look the new part.

The new movie ... well, wow. I don't know where to begin. Not only did they get the title character so horribly wrong, but they tried too hard to be dark and edgy, often resulting in unintentional giggles. Also, Conan never once mentioned Crom. And the other actors were decent at best.

Bayonet Priest
2011-11-14, 09:15 PM
I love the old Westwood Studios Command and Conquer soundtracks. I also often listen to the soundtrack for Emperor: Battle for Dune while playing DnD on Maptools. Always the Harkonnen tracks though.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-14, 09:20 PM
Victoria II has a damn good game soundtrack, but apparently Crusader Kings II has an even better one, say the beta-testers.

I really like the Elder Scrolls soundtracks.

As for movies, I LOVED the Sucker Punch soundtracks! Not EXACTLY an original soundtrack, but damn was it awesome!

Feytalist
2011-11-15, 03:04 AM
Hero has one brilliant track, the one of the old man playing the Guqin (that flat, zither-type thing). I love, LOVE the sound of that thing.

I'd forgotten one: Total Annihalation. That game had the most brilliant atmospheric tracks ever.

The Elder Scrolls does have some great music. I don't actually have it in music form though. Guess I'll just have to play the games again, then. Heh.

Also great, now that I remember I have it, is Arcanum's music. Weirdest game music ever. Simply a collection of scores for a string quartet. Really quite good.

Grif
2011-11-15, 03:14 AM
Victoria II has a damn good game soundtrack, but apparently Crusader Kings II has an even better one, say the beta-testers.

In the same vein, Europa Universalis III had great soundtracks as well. :smallbiggrin:

Elder Tsofu
2011-11-15, 05:08 AM
A soundtrack I listen to quite a lot is that of "Umineko no Naku Koro ni". It has some really nice calm "happy" tracks which I tend to listen to while writing or just need to have a nice time.
It is more of a sound-novel than a regular game, but I thought it would be worthy a mention.

Hope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ys5bBjjs5c&feature=related&hd=1)
Happiness of marionette (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWPBKAqJgsw&hd=1)
Hane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYEI0ADP9S0&hd=1)
夏の扉 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-7FZHL6Fk&hd=1)
Ride On (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwNqSXaTak&hd=1)
Towering cloud in summer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN8NXR3C0J8&hd=1)

Brother Oni
2011-11-15, 07:55 AM
It was pretty good, but it didn't really capture the original Robert E. Howard stories. It felt a little to stiff and tame. Arnold also didn't really look the new part.

Ah, I thought you meant the soundtrack was passable not the film. I agree with you on the film - it's not accurate to the original, but as a standalone universe, I think it's a decent film.

The soundtrack is one of the best movie scores I've ever heard though.

I haven't seen the new movie, so I'm not going to comment.

Hero has one brilliant track, the one of the old man playing the Guqin (that flat, zither-type thing). I love, LOVE the sound of that thing.

Hero also has an example of some period music and instruments (can't remember which track it is off the top of my head), dating back to the Warring States period (~220 BC), making it the oldest piece of music I've ever listened to.

I'm also a big fan of the erhu (Chinese one string violin) - the sound it makes is absolutely haunting.

You might like the pipa as well. There's a couple of adequate quality recordings on Youtube - my favourite is King Chu doffs his armour by Liu Fang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCAU797437g) and watching her play is simply mesmerising.

DiscipleofBob
2011-11-15, 12:50 PM
Epic soundtracks on my list:

Most Final Fantasies, but the emmy definitely goes to 6 for best Soundtrack.

Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, and Super Mario RPG also have really good music.

I haven't played much of the Tales series, only Symphonia, but nearly every OST from any of their games I've heard has been awesome.

Oh, and Wild Arms. Always sends chills down my spine.