PDA

View Full Version : Poirot

Random_person
2011-11-12, 05:04 AM
I have just finished watching "Murder on the Orient Express", and have watched a couple others and read "Cards on the Table". So far, I've loved Poirot. What other stories can the playground recommend? Should I watch them or read them? Are there any that I should avoid? Any that link together so that I should take them in order? Playground, help!

Serpentine
2011-11-12, 05:13 AM
I happen to be watching it right now. I've seen it before, though.
I've seen several, but can't remember the names of any of them. If you like Murder On The Orient Express, I think you'll enjoy the others fine too.

Fri
2011-11-12, 05:53 AM
I grow up with agatha christie's books and I think I have read all if not most of her books.

Of course, as a bibiliophile, I'll recommend reading the novels. But eh, I guess if it's not up to your taste you could watch the series.

My favourite poirot book are Cards on the Table (one of my favourite book of all time), ABC murders, Murder on Orient Express, and Murder of Roger Ackroyd. If you're interested in non-poirot christie novel I could recommend you some.

And if you're interested in something completely different, try The Big Four. It's a somewhat tongue-in-cheek parody of sherlock holmes style's 'pulpy detective' (instead of poirot's usually more down-to-earth one) starring the eggheaded man himself.

If you're looking for ones to avoid, most of the ones I don't like are not bad, just simply blah for me. I mean it doesn't have the 'holy crap' premises of the more interesting ones, just a standard low-key old timey detective story.

PhantomFox
2011-11-12, 11:27 AM
I must say the BBC Poirot episodes with David Suchet are pretty good adaptations too.

Tirian
2011-11-12, 12:40 PM
It seems to me that the other "blockbuster" Poirot book was "And Then There Were None" (which IIRC was called "Ten Little Indians" in the UK so look for either in NZ). But I've read a wide variety of his mysteries and a few collections of short stories and I can't say I was disappointed by any of them. For whatever reason, Dame Agatha's other protagonists never got under my skin.

I would also be remiss if I failed to suggest reading the complete works of Sherlock Holmes which has a very similar vibe.

Fri
2011-11-12, 04:12 PM
That's the one Agatha Christie book I've never read:smallcool:

I meant to read it for years, but for some reason none of the libraries in my reach have that single book, and for some reason I never got around to buy it as well.

Random_person
2011-11-12, 06:00 PM
It seems to me that the other "blockbuster" Poirot book was "And Then There Were None" (which IIRC was called "Ten Little Indians" in the UK so look for either in NZ). But I've read a wide variety of his mysteries and a few collections of short stories and I can't say I was disappointed by any of them. For whatever reason, Dame Agatha's other protagonists never got under my skin.

I would also be remiss if I failed to suggest reading the complete works of Sherlock Holmes which has a very similar vibe.

Actually, I went from Sherlock to Poirot, and infinitely prefer Poirot. But I'll keep an eye out for that one, certainly.

Tirian
2011-11-12, 07:11 PM
Different strokes for different folks. What I liked about Doyle is that figuring out the riddle before the end of the story was okay with him, while Christie seemed antagonistic towards giving the reader enough information to know before the detective rolled it out. I hope that nobody would feel cheated by reading a bit of both to see how they felt about it.

Also, I may as well be the one to call me out for my previous error. "And Then There Were None" is Agatha Christie's other blockbuster story IME, but Poirot doesn't appear in it.

Scarlet Knight
2011-11-13, 12:14 AM
I love armchair detectives and found Poirot third only to Holmes & Brother Cadfael .

I recommend Death on the Nile, and to avoid Curtain until you've read the rest.

Random_person
2011-11-13, 01:25 AM
Cadfael? Who's this?

turkishproverb
2011-11-13, 01:46 AM
Read or watch. Both are great. Reminds me...time to check on my book collection.

Serpentine
2011-11-13, 05:54 AM
Cadfael? Who's this?A crime-solving medieval monk. Never read them, but they look interesting and they're popular at the library.

Scarlet Knight
2011-11-13, 08:02 AM
Yes, the series of books were written by Ellis Peters. Excellent if you like histrical fiction.

If you prefer, there was a series on Mystery starring Sir Derek Jacobi .

Friv
2011-11-13, 11:28 AM
And Then There Were None is a great Agatha Christie mystery, but it's not one of her Poirot novels; none of the characters in it appear in any other book she wrote, to the best of my knowledge. Still, it is one of her good ones.

I'm going to second Murder of Roger Ackeroyd; it was always my favorite. I'm also a huge fan of her Tommy & Tuppence series, although I don't think any TV shows were ever made of them. It's a more lighthearted and silly series of mysteries, as a rule, but it's a lot of fun.

Lord Seth
2011-11-14, 02:55 AM
I recommend Death on the Nile, and to avoid Curtain until you've read the rest.I actually remember liking the film version of Death on the Nile more, if for no other reason than because I thought the ending was a lot more dramatic than the book.The murderer killing her accomplice and then herself occurs right after Poirot solves the mystery in the film, which is really shocking. In the book, it occurs later, and the surprise feels really muted as a result.
I didn't really like Curtain. I thought it was kind of a lame way to conclude the Poirot series.

On another note, I wish that Hercule and Poirot and Miss Marple had actually met in one of the novels. That would've been awesome.