PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] New Item: Shield of the Sands

Shadowbranch1
2011-11-12, 08:05 AM
Shield of the Sands:

This shield is made from the hide of an unknown beast of the desert. Around the edges of the shield are numerous barbs taken from giant scorpion stingers. Carved into the front of the shield, are several runes of a long forgotten tongue. The shield is the same size and weight of a heavy steel shield, though no metal is used in its crafting making its use acceptable by members of the Druidical Order.

The shield functions as a heavy spiked shield +1. In addition it grants its user a +2 resistance bonus to saves versus poison, and a +2 bonus to fortitude saves to resist damage from heat and dehydration. Finally if a critical hit is confirmed on a shield bash attack, the shield injects venom into the creature attacked.

The venom is as follows: Sting—injury; save Fort DC 15; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d3 Constitution damage; cure 1 save.

Construction: Craft Magical Arms and Armor, CL5th, Spell: Poison, cost: 9,500gp

Pricing Notes:
Not sure if the pricing is right or not. I took the CL x spell level x2000 / 4 (since it only activates on a critical hit) and added that number to the price of a +1 shield.

Elfstone
2011-11-13, 09:31 AM
If no metal was used I would suggest mentioning that Druids can use this item without violating their vows. Also, no resistance to the fire of the desert? I would drop the price even more because it's such a specific activation of the item. Not many people use shield bash.

Shadowbranch1
2011-11-13, 10:21 AM
Thank you for the insight.

I have reworded it a bit to include the fact that it is useable by Druids, and have also added a bonus to fortitude saves dealing with desert environments.

DracoDei
2011-11-14, 09:01 PM
A nice enough little item.