PDA

View Full Version : Independent Film Recommendations

turkishproverb
2011-11-13, 01:45 AM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any indy/ultra indy film recommendations?

I'll start by giving an obvious one or two:

Thriller:
Paranoia (http://walkawayentertainment.com/Walkaway_Entertainment/PARANOIA.html) featuring Brad Jones of cinema Snob semi-fame

and
Comedy:

ICWXP (icwxp.com) The proper successor to MST3K

jseah
2011-11-13, 06:18 AM
Primer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)) (2004)

Yay for time travel and 9 nested loops in the time line!

AshesOfOld
2011-11-13, 06:32 PM
Persepolis. Really sweet cartoon about an Iranian refugee.

And Antichrist. Although I don't recommend you watch it if you're frail of heart, it's beautiful in a brutal way. :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2011-11-13, 07:03 PM
Thriller:
Paranoia (http://walkawayentertainment.com/Walkaway_Entertainment/PARANOIA.html) featuring Brad Jones of cinema Snob semi-fame

Brad actually has quite a few films he's made on his site.

Also, Clerks and Medicine for Melancholy.

I just don't recommend Five Across the Eyes. Watch the review for it (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/phelous/29292-five-across-the-eyes), and then decide if you want to sit through it:
If she kills you, you're dead!

WalkingTarget
2011-11-13, 07:21 PM

Seconded.

Also: Brick (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/) - hard-boiled detective story set in high school (better than it sounds).

Bhu
2011-11-14, 02:03 AM
Persepolis. Really sweet cartoon about an Iranian refugee.

And Antichrist. Although I don't recommend you watch it if you're frail of heart, it's beautiful in a brutal way. :smallsmile:

especially the uncut version :smalleek:

Also Riget i.e. Kingdom by the same writer

Feytalist
2011-11-14, 03:38 AM
I've got a few. I never even knew they were independent films until I looked them up afterwards.

How To Rob a Bank: relatively smart heist movie. Amusing dialogue. Some guys rob a bank, it goes wrong.

Welcome to the Rileys: wait 'til you hear who stars in this one. Low-key drama, nothing really happens. It's still a brilliant movie. Some people need to sort their lives out, and that's it, really.

turkishproverb
2011-11-17, 02:00 AM
Seconded.

Also: Brick (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/) - hard-boiled detective story set in high school (better than it sounds).
Mmm...

Hard. Boiled.

On that note, another Recommendation for ultra-indy dvd's:

Kaiju Big Battel. (http://kaiju.com/)

Good old campy fun.

And The Man from Earth, which is only regular indy, but awesome.

AshesOfOld
2011-11-17, 12:13 PM
especially the uncut version :smalleek:

Also Riget i.e. Kingdom by the same writer

Yeah, but that's a television show, right? In danish and swedish. Or was it remade?

turkishproverb
2011-11-17, 01:17 PM
It was remade as stephen king's kingdom hospital. Not as good from what I've heard.

AshesOfOld
2011-11-18, 06:24 PM
Too bad. I remember watching it as a 14 year old. Scared ****less. Had some of the weirdest **** ever to happen on a tv-show, that wasn't an animé. Good times.

Anarion
2011-11-18, 06:45 PM
If I might indulge in a personal recommendation, my uncle has produced and directed three independent films, which are of pretty good quality, but extremely post-modernist.

Bartleby (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230025/) (If you liked the obscure Melville story, this is basically a more comedic modernized version, which captures the original quite well)
The Californians (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377043/)
(Untitled) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132193/)

H Birchgrove
2011-11-18, 06:51 PM
Star Wars ep. 1-3. :smalltongue:

turkishproverb
2011-11-19, 05:18 AM
Star Wars ep. 1-3. :smalltongue:

...No.

Just...no.

Nameless
2011-11-19, 06:32 AM
Well, if you're in to avant garde and surrealist films then you could try:

Das Kabbinet Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari. (Fantastic German Expressionist film which started the "dark eye shadow = bad guy" tradition as well as every Tim Burton film ever)

Cat Soup. (A very surreal anime involving anthropomorphic cats)

Stree of Crocodiles. (The most popular Quay Brothers film with a mixture of live action and animated sequences.)

The Last Theft. (An awesome short pixel motion film.)

Dr.Epic
2011-11-19, 12:53 PM
Birdemic: Shock and Awe

It's not good, but it is hilarious!:smallbiggrin:

WoodStock_PV
2011-11-19, 04:24 PM
If you guys here don't mind I'll put my 2 cents in the "good independent movies" discussion by posting some awesome independent shorts which are quite rare to get the usual way (purchasing)

Isle of flowers (ilha das flores) the saddest, funniest, cruellest and most fantastic piece of moving picture i've seen

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=isle+of+flowers&oq=isle+of+flowers&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=66908l71682l0l88686l17l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

Palindrome (Palíndromo) a slice of life kind of deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER13JaVZXY4

Food by Jan Svankmajer (this is part 1, the second part is also found on youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j7bypVxL8

Sorry about the long post and any english mistakes. If anyone likes one of these shorts share some with me too. Also, if I'm breaking any rules by posting these here I'll be glad to remove them.

Nameless
2011-11-19, 05:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER13JaVZXY4

Food by Jan Svankmajer (this is part 1, the second part is also found on youtube)

+1 :smallbiggrin:
Anything by Svankmajer is worth watching.

WoodStock_PV
2011-11-20, 04:23 PM
+1 :smallbiggrin:
Anything by Svankmajer is worth watching.

Indeed. I thank the gods for youtube.. without it I would never had found this. Sadly many good stuff around ranging from music to short movies and every art manifestation in between is not mainstream, at least not here in Brazil.

Post some good ones you like. =)

Serpentine
2011-11-22, 09:41 AM
And Antichrist. Although I don't recommend you watch it if you're frail of heart, it's beautiful in a brutal way. :smallsmile:I swear I thought - even said it out loud - that the first ten minutes was a parody of pretentious film. It's very good, but my God it's pretentious.
It was remade as stephen king's kingdom hospital. Not as good from what I've heard.I saw the American version from start to finish, and then a good part of the original. Pretty much of a muchness, from what I recall.

I'd like to recommend some Australian indie films, but I don't know which ones are indie, nor really what exactly it means :/ Chances are, really, a lot of Aussie movies are indie...

The_Admiral
2011-11-22, 09:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8&feature=player_embedded#! not a movie but a music video. It's catchy. I am the man who arranges the blocks.

pita
2011-11-24, 07:52 PM
The Station Agent is one of my favorite movies of all time, not only because it has a pre-"I HAVE EVERY GOOD DWARF ROLE EVER" Peter Dinklage, but also because it manages to be both funny and heartbreaking, usually in the same scene.

Bhu
2011-12-03, 03:26 PM
The Last Circus

Very messed up film
Would link to trailer but all the good ones are red band.

Serpentine
2011-12-03, 10:08 PM
I'm gonna assume all Aussie movies are Indie, and say everyone should see Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Undead, Two Hands, Dating the Enemy, The Castle, Muriel's Wedding, and to a lesser extent Japanese Story.

edit: Oh! Ten Canoes! It is (I believe) the only film with an all-aboriginal cast, and it's set in pre-European times, and it's based on some famous photographs, and it's a good story!

Bhu
2011-12-03, 11:02 PM
I'm gonna assume all Aussie movies are Indie, and say everyone should see Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Undead, Two Hands, Dating the Enemy, The Castle, Muriel's Wedding, and to a lesser extent Japanese Story.

edit: Oh! Ten Canoes! It is (I believe) the only film with an all-aboriginal cast, and it's set in pre-European times, and it's based on some famous photographs, and it's a good story!

omg Ive seen half of those!!!

Serpentine
2011-12-03, 11:25 PM
:O!
Which half?

Bhu
2011-12-04, 02:00 AM
I own Undead, Two Hands, I've seen Priscilla, and I started on Muriel's Wedding befre the dvd went phhbbbttt..

Serpentine
2011-12-04, 02:27 AM
I presume, based on the fact you own them, you like Two Hands and Undead. What did you think about the other two?

Bhu
2011-12-04, 04:30 PM
Priscilla was darn good, Muriel was good till the dvd committed suicide 15 minutes in...

Feytalist
2011-12-05, 02:55 AM
Most of those are at least known of over here. Go Commonwealth... I think?

Although I haven't heard of Ten Canoes yet. I'll check it out.

Also, I could list a bunch of South African movies, which are all sure to be indie... but I won't :smalltongue:

Knaight
2011-12-05, 05:33 AM
Persepolis: An animated version of an autobiographical cartoon of a woman who grew up in Iran.

Ink: Picture Inception, except for with the heist element removed in favor of an exploration of storytelling. Ink is an incredible movie, first ten minutes aside.

Exit Through The Gift Shop: A documentary about the rise of a photographer to street artist "icon", and about street art in general.

turkishproverb
2011-12-06, 08:23 AM
Ink: Picture Inception, except for with the heist element removed in favor of an exploration of storytelling. Ink is an incredible movie, first ten minutes aside.

Haven't seen it yet, but are the first ten minutes that bad?

Knaight
2011-12-06, 09:03 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but are the first ten minutes that bad?

They are divisive, among the group of people who like the movie. They are either the worst part, or the worst part and also terrible. I merely consider them the worst part.

Kindablue
2011-12-06, 02:16 PM
Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Das Kabbinet Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari. (Fantastic German Expressionist film which started the "dark eye shadow = bad guy" tradition as well as every Tim Burton film ever)

Clerks

Persepolis: An animated version of an autobiographical cartoon of a woman who grew up in Iran.

Exit Through The Gift Shop: A documentary about the rise of a photographer to street artist "icon", and about street art in general.

I'll second all of these and add Kids (a very disturbing, hyper realistic movie about an amoral 15 year old who's unknowingly spreading HIV), Un Chien Andalou (a short, trippy silent film made by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali), Run Lola Run (a German crime thriller about a woman who has to come up with 100,000 marks in 20 minutes before the crime boss that her boyfriend works for kills him for a lost bag of cash. She gets a few do-overs), and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

WoodStock_PV
2011-12-07, 10:08 AM

If we're talking about Persepolis it's worth mentioning the comicbooks which are some of the best I've read!

And Priscilla Queen of the Desert is an independent film? Really? It's on TV around here like all the time, seriously i've seen that scene on top of the bus at least a hundred times. It's a good movie nonetheless.

I'll add Waking Life to the list.

Serpentine
2011-12-07, 10:36 AM
And Priscilla Queen of the Desert is an independent film? Really? It's on TV around here like all the time, seriously i've seen that scene on top of the bus at least a hundred times. It's a good movie nonetheless.Really? Weird :smallconfused: It's only rarely played on TV here.
And honestly, I have no idea whether it's independent or not.

Knaight
2011-12-07, 11:39 AM
If we're talking about Persepolis it's worth mentioning the comicbooks which are some of the best I've read!
They are incredible. To everyone considering watching Persepolis: read them first.

Kindablue
2011-12-07, 03:11 PM
Agreed.

I'll add Waking Life to the list.

Slacker, Dazed and Confused, and A Scanner Darkly are all great indy films which were also made by Linklater.

WoodStock_PV
2011-12-07, 04:47 PM
Really? Weird :smallconfused: It's only rarely played on TV here.
And honestly, I have no idea whether it's independent or not.

Well.. that can open the debate of what is an independent movie anyway. Is it non-hollywood movies? Then most movies of the rest of the world are independent, including mainstream ones. Is it non-mainstream then? well.. I dunno.. that implies that a lot of movies heavily funded by major studios or companies that didn't succeeded (don't remember how to write this word) are independent. By this line of thinking a movie like reservoir dogs that was not funded by major companies (by my knowledge) is independent, even if it is really well known by almost anybody. What do you guys think?

WoodStock_PV
2011-12-07, 04:50 PM
Sorry about the double post.. I've got a lousy internet connection.

Bhu
2011-12-07, 06:09 PM
Well.. that can open the debate of what is an independent movie anyway. Is it non-hollywood movies? Then most movies of the rest of the world are independent, including mainstream ones. Is it non-mainstream then? well.. I dunno.. that implies that a lot of movies heavily funded by major studios or companies that didn't succeeded (don't remember how to write this word) are independent. By this line of thinking a movie like reservoir dogs that was not funded by major companies (by my knowledge) is independent, even if it is really well known by almost anybody. What do you guys think?

"An independent film, or indie film, is a professional film production resulting in a feature film that is produced mostly or completely outside of the major film studio system. In addition to being produced and distributed by independent entertainment companies, independent films are also produced and/or distributed by subsidiaries of major film studios. Independent films are sometimes distinguishable by their content and style and the way in which the filmmakers' personal artistic vision is realized. Usually, but not always, independent films are made with considerably lower film budgets than major studio films.[1] Generally, the marketing of independent films is characterized by limited release, but can also have major marketing campaigns and a wide release. Independent films are often screened at local, national, or international film festivals before distribution (theatrical and/or retail release). An independent film production can rival a mainstream film production if it has the necessary funding and distribution."

thus quoth wiki

the description is fairly accurate for their site :smalltongue:

pita
2011-12-07, 06:59 PM
I saw Boy Wonder today. Definitely a decent independent movie. A mix between The Dark Knight, Super, and a third movie which is much more serious and slow paced than the other two and has no superhero elements. I dunno. Maybe The Wire. Even though that's not a movie.
Another movie I'd recommend is Assassination of a High School Principal. It's another "High School is Hell" movie, except it has Bruce Willis as a demonic principal, and a surprisingly amazing performance by Mischa Barton, who I definitely had written off as "pretty face, and also pretty non-face-bits". It's every bit as ridiculously sarcastic as these movies should be, and it's great.

Serpentine
2011-12-07, 10:05 PM
"An independent film, or indie film, is a professional film production resulting in a feature film that is produced mostly or completely outside of the major film studio system.So what does the last bit there mean? I mean, with that I think I could indeed argue that most Australian films are independent, because the whole Australian film industry is "outside of the major film studio system" (it's actually a problem they're trying to fix, how undersupported the Aussie film industry is).

Kindablue
2011-12-07, 11:00 PM
So what does the last bit there mean? I mean, with that I think I could indeed argue that most Australian films are independent, because the whole Australian film industry is "outside of the major film studio system" (it's actually a problem they're trying to fix, how undersupported the Aussie film industry is).

I'd classify most Australian films as foreign, which you could see as a de facto subset of independent for the reason you just gave, but I wouldn't. I see independent films as ones that are deliberately made outside of the "Big Six" studio system (or with only the support of Searchlight, the late Miramax, or another such production company), so that the film makers would have greater artistic freedom. Of course, that definition's not really clean, and there are plenty of films that you'd be crazy not to call indy that probably wouldn't fit it.

Bhu
2011-12-08, 02:16 AM
So what does the last bit there mean? I mean, with that I think I could indeed argue that most Australian films are independent, because the whole Australian film industry is "outside of the major film studio system" (it's actually a problem they're trying to fix, how undersupported the Aussie film industry is).

And you would prolly be correct in that argument

Serpentine
2011-12-08, 03:00 AM
Kewl. In that case... Hm. What other good Australian movies are there, then?

I haven't seen it, but Wolf Creek seems quite well regarded for a gory horror movie.

The Man Who Sued God is pretty good, and I know someone in it.

Expanding Australia to include New Zealand (cuz we do that), Brain Dead is a pretty great zombie movie :smallbiggrin: Black Sheep has its charms too :smallamused:

Strictly Ballroom's pretty great (and the racial undertones were lost on Australian audiences).

The Nugget, Bad Eggs and Crackerjack are kinda eh, but if you liked The Castle they might be worth a look.
The Dish is similar, except definitely good. About Australia's part in the broadcasting of the moon landing.

The Shirallee is a bit of a classic.

There's a bunch of movies about aboriginals that are considered very good, but my goodness they're depressing. Samson and Delilah, and Rabbit-proof Fence come to mind, but there's quite a few more.

If you wanna see a young Mel Gibson, Gallipolli is quite good, and of course there's Mad Max (the one with Australian accents only!).

The Adventures of Barry McKenzie is a classic in its field :smallbiggrin:

Tomorrow, When the War Began is a pretty good adaptation of a book.

Hercules Returns is a very silly movie about a cinema that decides to celebrate its reopening by playing the last movie shown - an old adventure about Hercules. Unfortunately they discover too late that the film hasn't come with sound, so they make up their own.

Mary and Max is an odd sort of claymation movie.

I studied Lantana for a uni class, and it's a very good drama (with Anthony LaPaglia(sp?)).

The Rage In Placid Lake is super-duper indie. Stars Ben Lee as a young man with a super-alternative family who runs off to join Corporate America (well, Australia).

Some more I haven't seen but are meant to be good: Picnic at Hanging Rock, Candy, Chopper, He Died With a Felafel In His Hand, The Jammed, Puberty Blues, Razorback, Romulus My Father.

turkishproverb
2011-12-08, 06:31 AM
Huh. Some really good choices here.

The Rage In Placid Lake is super-duper indie. Stars Ben Lee as a young man with a super-alternative family who runs off to join Corporate America (well, Australia).

I'll say that looks interesting, but that it's hardy "super-duper indie"

You kinda lose the right to super-duper when you get a wide spread dvd release. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-12-08, 07:37 AM
Popularity precludes indiness? :smallconfused:

pita
2011-12-08, 08:01 AM
The only movies I'd characterize as super indie are The Gamers and Kickassia, but most of the forum probably saw these.
Edit- forgot ancient film history. El Mariachi, also.

Bhu
2011-12-08, 03:33 PM
I'll second Razorback. Bestest giant killer pig movie evah (I havent seen Chawz yet tho).

turkishproverb
2011-12-09, 11:13 AM
Popularity precludes indiness? :smallconfused:

No, but you've got some connections to a studio worth speaking of if you're getting a widespread release.

Even then, I'm glad for the recommendations, but still, it's a hard line to figure out's location.

I'll second Razorback. Bestest giant killer pig movie evah (I havent seen Chawz yet tho).

So many responses.

Do either of those pigs fly? :smallamused:

Bhu
2011-12-09, 07:02 PM
nope

Chawz is a black comedy about a korean police officer who jokingly puts 'anywhere' as preferred location for his beginning assignment, and promptly gets shipped to the boonies to an eccentric town of weirdos being menaced by a boar the size of a farming combine.

Razorback is an old man seeking revenge on the giant pig who killed his loved ones. Sort of a Moby **** type thing.

Serpentine
2011-12-10, 12:25 AM
No, but you've got some connections to a studio worth speaking of if you're getting a widespread release.Not necessarily. But in any case, I was just referring to the plot (and also the fact that its star is an indi folky-type singer).

The_Admiral
2011-12-11, 11:04 AM
Nasi Lemak 2.0 directed and written by Namwee and filmed with a single camera. It's funny.

turkishproverb
2011-12-11, 11:44 PM
Not necessarily. But in any case, I was just referring to the plot (and also the fact that its star is an indi folky-type singer).

Either way, it sounds interesting, so I'm happy I heard of it. I'm just not sure it's what I asked for.

Then again, some of the best stuff comes when getting things you didn't ask for. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-12-11, 11:47 PM
I asked my film nerd Boy whether The Rage In Placid Lake is indie. He says:
"Well yeah. It wasn't made by a big studio. It has indie sensibilities. It stars Ben Lee. It's a low-key coming of age story. It's pretty indie. Indie, not arthouse."
Also he told me to call you names, but I won't :smalltongue:

turkishproverb
2011-12-12, 12:00 AM
I asked my film nerd Boy whether The Rage In Placid Lake is indie. He says:
"Well yeah. It wasn't made by a big studio. It has indie sensibilities. It stars Ben Lee. It's a low-key coming of age story. It's pretty indie. Indie, not arthouse."
Also he told me to call you names, but I won't :smalltongue:

That's good. I'd hate to get into an emotocon war on the forums. :thog:

Like I said, it's almost entirely shades of gray in Indie. Less a divide and more a drab yet pleasing rainbow. :smallconfused:

Ok, metaphor fail.

Still, thanks.

Bhu
2011-12-12, 02:59 AM
Timecrimes is pretty darn good.