PDA

View Full Version : Immortals Movie

DiscipleofBob
2011-11-15, 09:35 AM
So I went to see this movie last night, done by the same director as 300. I personally enjoyed it. My fiance and I are both greek mythology nerds so we both appreciated this. Spoilers below.

Definitely not for the squeamish. More violent than even 300 I'd say. Lots of villagers getting slaughtered in horrible ways. More gore than I really thought necessary, but whatevs.

It definitely takes liberties with the mythos, but acceptable ones. The minotaur isn't a beast, it's some big dude in a barbed wire bull helmet. It works better than it sounds. The titans were reduced to mindless mongrels in a cage, so don't expect to find good portrayals of Prometheus, Rhea, Atlas, Argos, etc. I personally thought the gods' outfits looked silly, as I'm sure a lot of people did, but according to my fiance the anthropologist the garb of the gods was more accurate than you'd think. Not competely accurate, mind you, but not as far off as you'd expect.

This movie gets two major things right that I feel I must applaud it for: 1) The portrayal of the gods' personalities was more or less accurate. Zeus makes mistakes. He stubbornly refuses to acknowledge his mistakes even when the other gods disagree. I was kind of turned off by the idea that Greek Gods of all things can bleed and be slaughtered......but at the very end it's implied that even the gods who died in battle just came back for round infinity +1. Makes sense since if they died they should just go to the underworld where Hades would make fun of them for a bit and let them back out to deal with the threat. So kudos there. The fight scenes with the actual gods are very impressive, and I wish there were more of them throughout the movie. It's nice to see a portrayal of Greek Gods where they take a hands-on approach, even if it does take them a while to join the fray.

The other thing I have to applaud the movie for is Theseus himself. When Theseus groggily takes off his armor near the end of the film, my first thought was "No, you idiot! You still have bad guys to kill! And the survivability rate in this movie is not good!" Then I realized, it's Theseus. He does his best fighting unarmed and unarmored. Bad guy is screwed.
A nice touch in my opinion.

Oh, one major wallbanging moment for me: Good guys, you're in a giant fortress gate through which the only entrance is one narrow easily crowded hallway filled with arrow slits. WHERE ARE YOUR ARCHERS?!?!

Overall, liked it. Not very accurate historically or mythologically, but they get enough of the details right that the liberties don't matter so much.

Eldan
2011-11-15, 10:36 AM
It certainly wasn't done by the director of 300. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarsem_Singh) Just saying.

DiscipleofBob
2011-11-15, 11:12 AM
It certainly wasn't done by the director of 300. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarsem_Singh) Just saying.

Huh. Could've sworn it was advertised as such. Ah well, my bad.

kamikasei
2011-11-15, 11:16 AM
Huh. Could've sworn it was advertised as such. Ah well, my bad.
It was advertised as "from the producers of 300". Which kind of advertising always sets off alarm bells in my head...

Saw it, found it entertaining, not much else. It did make me want to play Exalted, though.

Z3ro
2011-11-15, 11:21 AM
It was advertised as "from the producers of 300". Which kind of advertising always sets off alarm bells in my head...

Saw it, found it entertaining, not much else. It did make me want to play Exalted, though.

By the same producers. Totally different.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-15, 04:11 PM
I may go and watch it.

Wasn't the Persian elite troops in 300 called Immortals? This confuses me especially since I saw on a comics advert that Frank Miller is going to make prequel or sequel to 300, from a Persian perspective IIRC.

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-15, 06:32 PM
I put this movie somewhere between 300 and Clash of the Titans in terms of realism-to-fantasy ratio. More fantasy than 300 but not as cheesy as CotT, and as a result it was a better movie.

Karoht
2011-11-16, 01:48 PM
I may go and watch it.

Wasn't the Persian elite troops in 300 called Immortals? This confuses me especially since I saw on a comics advert that Frank Miller is going to make prequel or sequel to 300, from a Persian perspective IIRC.

I don't think Frank Miller has anything to do with this one. A quick wiki search reveals that Frank Miller's name is no where near it.

Although I do wish Gerard Butler had at least a cameo in it. That would be cool. I'm going to see this film later tonight, partly due to moviebob's review of it on Theescapist.com and partly due to friends demands.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-16, 07:37 PM
I don't think Frank Miller has anything to do with this one. A quick wiki search reveals that Frank Miller's name is no where near it.

Although I do wish Gerard Butler had at least a cameo in it. That would be cool. I'm going to see this film later tonight, partly due to moviebob's review of it on Theescapist.com and partly due to friends demands.

Yeah Butler would be fun to see in this film. :smallsmile:

Karoht
2011-11-17, 10:13 AM
Well, I just saw it last night. I'm impressed. It's 300 meets Clash of the Titans. Loved the art style, the view from mount olympus would make anyone feel like a god, etc. Fighting wasn't as good as 300 but it tries. The gods have emotions and failings, just like in greek myth. The film doesn't go history/realism and it doesn't go myth, but it does sort of find some middle ground. I would recommend it.

Also, I don't expect to see many memes on this one, if any.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-17, 11:13 AM
I feel sorry for Atlas and Prometheus. :smallfrown:

Karoht
2011-11-17, 11:32 AM
I feel sorry for Atlas and Prometheus. :smallfrown:Atlas is a big guy. He can take it.
Prometheus on the other hand, being tortured for the rest of eternity just for giving fire to mankind? Yikes.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-18, 09:07 AM
Atlas is a big guy. He can take it.
Prometheus on the other hand, being tortured for the rest of eternity just for giving fire to mankind? Yikes.

... and now they're villains in a Hollywood film while Hermann Fegelein has been upgraded to a Memetic Trickster God in hitlerrantsvideos of YouTube fame. There is no justice in the world. :smallfrown:

DiscipleofBob
2011-11-18, 10:37 AM
... and now they're villains in a Hollywood film while Hermann Fegelein has been upgraded to a Memetic Trickster God in hitlerrantsvideos of YouTube fame. There is no justice in the world. :smallfrown:

To be fair, no they're not.

The Titans in Immortals bear almost no resemblance to the actual Titans of Greek Mythology. They aren't even the predecessors of the gods from what we're told, just the losing side in a battle between immortals. In fact, the Titans in Immortals are all human-sized and just act like feral beasts.

So no Prometheus, Atlas, Rhea, or even Cronos for that matter. I guess that's preferable to having the more sympathetic Titans be bad guys in the film.

Warlawk
2011-11-18, 11:18 AM
Saw it this week with the wife. It was a fun 'popcorn movie'. In that you grab some popcorn, shut off your brain and enjoy the flashy visuals and fun fight scenes. It wasn't bad by any means, but not the kind of movie you want to put too much thought into or analyze too much.

To be fair, no they're not.

The Titans in Immortals bear almost no resemblance to the actual Titans of Greek Mythology. They aren't even the predecessors of the gods from what we're told, just the losing side in a battle between immortals. In fact, the Titans in Immortals are all human-sized and just act like feral beasts.

So no Prometheus, Atlas, Rhea, or even Cronos for that matter. I guess that's preferable to having the more sympathetic Titans be bad guys in the film.

I could be wrong, but I was of the impression that The Gods and Titans were equals. They simply thought of themselves as 'Immortals'. Then they warred and the winners were called Gods and the Losers were called Titans. It kinda sucks that the titans basically just got glossed over as feral things locked in a cage, but at the same time I can see why they did it that way. Being locked up for eons can erode a beings mind and leave them in a feral state, even if only temporarily. On top of that, the Gods didn't have a lot of screen time so it makes sense to focus on giving good characterization to the Gods and not muddying the waters and confusing people by trying to make the Titans distinct individuals with just as much character as the Gods since it wasn't really important to the plot. The main antagonist for the movie wasn't the titans, they were just a plot device so I can see why they didn't spend too much time individualizing them. For people who aren't familiar with the mythology it would have just confused things.

I would have to agree with the OP though, the combat scenes were good but less so than 300. The scenes with the gods I thought were very cool and did a great job of showing off how brutal they could be, but there weren't many of them.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-18, 12:08 PM
@ DiscipleofBob and @ Warlawk: Thank you for your explanations!

Karoht
2011-11-18, 12:25 PM
I would have to agree with the OP though, the combat scenes were good but less so than 300. The scenes with the gods I thought were very cool and did a great job of showing off how brutal they could be, but there weren't many of them.I think moviebob said it best when he said:
"And when the Gods show up it's like a multiplayer game of Mortal Combat, except every move is a fatality."

DiscipleofBob
2011-11-18, 12:51 PM
On a related note,

Who here besides me saw the movie, took one look at the Titans' cage and thought "Disney's Hercules?"

Maybe it was the shiny gold bars or how the Titans could just look outside at whoever happened to be standing there, but somehow I could picture a bluefire-haired Hades standing above them as they were released going, "Uh, guys? Mount Olympus is that way."