PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Paolini's Inheritance (Spoilers)

LordShotGun
2011-11-15, 11:31 AM
Since the last thread of Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle is over 6 months dead here is the new one!

Personally I enjoyed this final book in his series although just about everything that happens is pretty predictable. It wraps up most of the loose ends in fairly tight circumstances although the shear number of throwaway scenes is a little overwhelming.

The only event in the book that is even slightly surprising is the method that Galbatorix is killed/suicides and the introduction of real world radioactive materials as a plot device.

My only real problem with the plot was the ending. It is mentioned that the elves will be able to purify Urû'baen after galbatorix has his meltdown which spews radiation everywhere. Now remember, this is the same problem with the original dragonrider's headquarters.

So why can't the elves just purify that place too? Build a few ships, sale over with an elven clean up crew and base the dragons there. Plenty of space for privacy, fish for the hungry dragons, and the eggs are already there.

I feel it was worth buying and am quite happy with the series after book 1 got away from the star wars with dragons storyline.

molten_dragon
2011-11-15, 06:22 PM
Since the last thread of Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle is over 6 months dead here is the new one!

Personally I enjoyed this final book in his series although just about everything that happens is pretty predictable. It wraps up most of the loose ends in fairly tight circumstances although the shear number of throwaway scenes is a little overwhelming.

The only event in the book that is even slightly surprising is the method that Galbatorix is killed/suicides and the introduction of real world radioactive materials as a plot device.

My only real problem with the plot was the ending. It is mentioned that the elves will be able to purify Urû'baen after galbatorix has his meltdown which spews radiation everywhere. Now remember, this is the same problem with the original dragonrider's headquarters.

So why can't the elves just purify that place too? Build a few ships, sale over with an elven clean up crew and base the dragons there. Plenty of space for privacy, fish for the hungry dragons, and the eggs are already there.

I feel it was worth buying and am quite happy with the series after book 1 got away from the star wars with dragons storyline.

I was quite annoyed that we didn't get to find out more about Angela. She was one of my favorite characters throughout the series, and I felt this book raised more questions about her than it answered. He's talked about more books set in Alagaesia in the future, so I hold out hope that one of them will enlighten us as to her nature.

Elfstone
2011-11-15, 08:06 PM
The one thing that really bothered me about the book was the mysterious woman and the young girl Angela had Eragorn bless. They show up ONCE, and just to save Roran. Then, poof.

While I many have missed somethings (Read the book in something like 14 hours, I need to read it a few more times) I like the ending, as well as the feeling the book left me with.

I also wish more of Angela's secrets were revealed.

I am sure that the books he has talked about (Time after Eragon(the new riders) and the possible Prequel:Broms story) will explain much more, I just hope he doesn't take as long as he did with the other books to get them out to the public.

Lord Raziere
2011-11-15, 08:21 PM
I don't want to buy this book, so I'm just gonna wait for you guys to talk enough so that I can look at the spoilers and go "not surprised"

actually including radioactivity? hm. slightly surprising.

Elfstone
2011-11-15, 10:42 PM
You know a decent plot summary is up on Wikipedia? That's why I did before my book arrived. I was right about all but one thing.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-15, 11:02 PM
You know a decent plot summary is up on Wikipedia? That's why I did before my book arrived. I was right about all but one thing.

Just read this.

My reaction: wut.

Just: wut.

Maybe it makes more sense in the actual book, but that plot summary makes it seem like fanfiction...

Lord Raziere
2011-11-15, 11:02 PM
……heh. nothing unexpected. of course they would find new dragon eggs. of course mary sue dragon rider Eragon would find a way to fix the dragons not hatching for urgal or dwarf problem, of course Nasuada and Arya becomes queens, of course Murtagh somehow defies Galbie.

and hm, Eragon didn't actually get his love of his life! hooray! now hopefully he won't breed!

wait a minute, he is immortal. nooooooo….

LordShotGun
2011-11-16, 08:55 AM
of course mary sue dragon rider Eragon

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. :smallbiggrin:

Eragon had plenty of flaws. His never ending bloodthirsty nature was the biggest one for me.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-16, 08:56 AM
It's 'Canon Sue' anyways.:smallbiggrin:

Mixt
2011-11-16, 08:59 AM
of course mary sue dragon rider Eragon

Dude, Eragon is male.

Mary Sue refers to a female, you want Gary Stu for males.

[/Nitpick]

grimbold
2011-11-16, 09:13 AM
i really enjoyed it actually
im going to reread it next week at a slightly lower pace to get more nuances

Helanna
2011-11-16, 09:41 AM
Okay, so I read the Wikipedia summary, and now I'm more confused than ever.

Questions:

Elain's baby, Hope, is born with a cleft lip. Eragon sings through the night to heal her.

Why'd he have to sing through the night for that? Didn't he once heal cancer in, like, an hour? Also, why is he singing instead of just speaking a spell?

Understanding they must speak their true names

Okay, I gotta ask, what were their true names?

[Galbatorix] tells them that he has learnt the true name of the ancient language

Soooo why didn't he use it? Or why doesn't he use it while fighting Eragon?

Since the spell as no words and is not an attack spell, Galbatorix is unable to defend himself

Since when have there been wordless non-attacks that are impossible to defend against? I'm seriously asking, were those ever brought up before?

Galbatorix is then stabbed in the gut by Eragon.

Okay, maybe I can go for the 'can't defend against a wordless attack' thing but seriously? Galbatorix had no defenses against being stabbed? Or were those defenses already down for some reason?

Lord Seth
2011-11-16, 12:31 PM
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. :smallbiggrin:

Eragon had plenty of flaws. His never ending bloodthirsty nature was the biggest one for me.Flaws don't mean that much when they're either ignored or, in some cases, praised.
Dude, Eragon is male.

Mary Sue refers to a female, you want Gary Stu for males.

[/Nitpick]Not quite. Mary Sue is a more general term that can refer to males or females, though generally it's used for females. Gary Stu is a male-specific term. It's kind of like how "actress" is a female-specific term, but "actor" can be used for males or females but generally is used for males.

maximus25
2011-11-16, 12:48 PM

Questions:

Why'd he have to sing through the night for that? Didn't he once heal cancer in, like, an hour? Also, why is he singing instead of just speaking a spell?

He did it like the elves sing trees and stuff. He thought it was better, used magic in the words to heal it.

They don't say.

He used it, made it so they couldn't use magic at all.

Since when have there been wordless non-attacks that are impossible to defend against? I'm seriously asking, were those ever brought up before?

They were, it's very dangerous though, as errant thoughts can get in the way of the spell.

Okay, maybe I can go for the 'can't defend against a wordless attack' thing but seriously? Galbatorix had no defenses against being stabbed? Or were those defenses already down for some reason?

Murtagh brought all the wards down.

Think I answered most of them.

grimbold
2011-11-16, 01:05 PM

Questions:

*looks at wikipedia summary*

oh my
that is not very well done:smalleek:

The Glyphstone
2011-11-16, 01:38 PM
Flaws don't mean that much when they're either ignored or, in some cases, praised.Not quite. Mary Sue is a more general term that can refer to males or females, though generally it's used for females. Gary Stu is a male-specific term. It's kind of like how "actress" is a female-specific term, but "actor" can be used for males or females but generally is used for males.

Though like I said above, if we're nitpicking between Mary Sue and Gary Stu, we should be using the more specific Canon Sue/Stu - a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a character added by someone other than the author.

Lord Seth
2011-11-16, 03:25 PM
Though like I said above, if we're nitpicking between Mary Sue and Gary Stu, we should be using the more specific Canon Sue/Stu - a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a character added by someone other than the author.I'd say Mary Sue applies to all fiction (original or no) but carries the implication of fan fiction, while Canon Sue is original fiction specific. It's another one of those "usually used to refer to fan fiction, BUT can apply to original fiction as well."

Lord Raziere
2011-11-16, 05:33 PM
ok ok.

Canon Stu. does everyone like that compromise? Eragon is a stupid Canon Stu that solves everything.

Helanna
2011-11-16, 05:42 PM
Think I answered most of them.

Ah, okay, thanks. Some of that makes a little more sense now.

Although seriously? We don't even get their true names? That seems bizarre for something that's supposed to be a big deal. With a lack of canon on that one, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that his true name is Canon Stu.

molten_dragon
2011-11-16, 07:12 PM
My biggest gripe with the book (besides the lack of Angela) was that it was just plain boring. More than half of the book was essentially just the Varden travelling to Uru'baen and Eragon doing random stuff on the way there. And then the last hundred pages was just an extended epilogue.

Eruantion
2011-11-17, 10:04 PM
I also wish more of Angela's secrets were revealed.

I am sure that the books he has talked about (Time after Eragon(the new riders) and the possible Prequel:Broms story) will explain much more, I just hope he doesn't take as long as he did with the other books to get them out to the public.

(besides the lack of Angela)
I think if there's any consensus on the book, it's that it needed more of Angela's story. I mean, she's the most powerful enchantress in the human race, if not all of Alagaësia. The High Priest in Dras-Leona was struck with fear when it discovered who she was, she was confident that he should have never tried to stop her in the first place, and she has the sharpest blade in the known world. A side character with all these secrets should not remain secret for the entirety of the series... That's my take on the Angela situation.

As for things like Urgal and dwarven Riders, I'd really like to see how this turns out. I was a bit disappointed that some of the end seemed like he just wanted a happy ending for everybody. In addition to this, my only other complaint is that no one important died. Arya's mother, yeah, but no one else... at all. Murtagh didn't die to stop Galbie, Roran didn't die to save the Varden, anyone whose death could have been heart-wrenching and meaningful was avoided. I think no one truly important has died since Brom, except Glaedr and Oromis perhaps.

Other than that, I thought the story was fantastic. Like really, all complaints aside it was a good book.

Traab
2011-11-17, 10:31 PM
I think if there's any consensus on the book, it's that it needed more of Angela's story. I mean, she's the most powerful enchantress in the human race, if not all of Alagaësia. The High Priest in Dras-Leona was struck with fear when it discovered who she was, she was confident that he should have never tried to stop her in the first place, and she has the sharpest blade in the known world. A side character with all these secrets should not remain secret for the entirety of the series... That's my take on the Angela situation.

As for things like Urgal and dwarven Riders, I'd really like to see how this turns out. I was a bit disappointed that some of the end seemed like he just wanted a happy ending for everybody. In addition to this, my only other complaint is that no one important died. Arya's mother, yeah, but no one else... at all. Murtagh didn't die to stop Galbie, Roran didn't die to save the Varden, anyone whose death could have been heart-wrenching and meaningful was avoided. I think no one truly important has died since Brom, except Glaedr and Oromis perhaps.

Other than that, I thought the story was fantastic. Like really, all complaints aside it was a good book.

Now, not necessarily, I mean, if done right, the mysterious powerful character can be pretty cool to have in your book. It leaves you with questions, makes you wonder about them, and helps immerse you in the story that much more. Im not saying he did it right in this series, he probably didnt, but I wouldnt know, as I didnt read past book 2. I have the third book, I just never had enough interest to read it. Plus id have to read the first two again just to remember what happened.

Jahkaivah
2011-11-17, 11:00 PM
Man, given how often the term Mary Sue is used in the Dominic Deegan threads, I can't help but find this fuss over using the correct variation of the term a bit amusing.

Eruantion
2011-11-17, 11:16 PM
Now, not necessarily, I mean, if done right, the mysterious powerful character can be pretty cool to have in your book. It leaves you with questions, makes you wonder about them, and helps immerse you in the story that much more. Im not saying he did it right in this series, he probably didnt, but I wouldnt know, as I didnt read past book 2. I have the third book, I just never had enough interest to read it. Plus id have to read the first two again just to remember what happened.

The mysterious powerful character is great to have in your book, but by the end of the final novel, you shouldn't be left with more questions than were answered, which is what happened. She actually grew more enigmatic as time wore on.

Nerd-o-rama
2011-11-18, 12:11 PM
My biggest gripe with the book (besides the lack of Angela) was that it was just plain boring. More than half of the book was essentially just the Varden travelling to Uru'baen and Eragon doing random stuff on the way there. And then the last hundred pages was just an extended epilogue.

Welcome to High Fantasy. Enjoy your stay, try the lembas.

In all seriousness, while I never plan on reading The Inheritance Trilogy (if I want to read derivative airport fantasy with suspicious similarities to the already-derivative Star Wars and quite a few arguable Mary Sues, I'll go re-read The Belgariad for the hilarious dialog), it at least sounds like it was an interesting final battle. Was it?

grimbold
2011-11-18, 12:27 PM
i think that Paolini once suggested he would write a book just about angela

however seeing as he's promised extra stories for a lot of characters i'm just hoping for a series of novella's that answer more questions

Sunken Valley
2011-11-18, 12:38 PM
Angela's Origins you say? That's obvious. A mysterious character who comes and goes out of nowhere, delivers flat out spoilers in her first appearence, has all the "plot relevant" items, a massive offender of aerith and bob and is never explained? The authors sister. Nobody would dare attack a sibling of their creator.

ThePhantasm
2011-11-18, 01:02 PM
This is why you never base characters off of yourself or a relative.

Learn well, young writers.

Eruantion
2011-11-18, 04:18 PM
This is why you never base characters off of yourself or a relative.

Learn well, young writers.

I base characters off myself fairly often, actually. Not entirely, but it helps to give them some traits you have as well.

Pianonab338
2011-11-18, 11:54 PM
Ugh. I despised the ending of the book.

I mean, Eragon essentially said "Angela said I was gonna leave...so I'm gonna leave for no apparent reason, especially considering that the world is peaceful, I'm an extremely important political and military hero, and besides that, I really SHOULD help train new riders.

....nah."

I mean, I expected, when Galbatorix's castle blew up, that Eragon would die in the attempt to shield everyone, and everyone else would survive, and dying would be the metaphorical "leaving Alagaesia". Honestly, he DID gain the strength/speed/get a Deus Ex Machina from the elves, but in, say, a large scale battle:

Farthen Dûr: "Eragon fought and fought and killed dozens of Urgals...UNTIL THE PLOT-RELATED VILLAIN SHOWED UP."

Burning Plains: "Eragon fought and killed dozens of men...UNTIL THE PLOT-RELATED VILLAIN SHOWED UP."

Yeah, whatever, it made him an even match for Murtagh since he had enhancing spells, etc, etc, but still. There was no way he should have been able to create a ward so strong it shields ALL of them from the castle, especially considering he could barely maintain wards around his friends.

grimbold
2011-11-19, 07:22 AM
Angela's Origins you say? That's obvious. A mysterious character who comes and goes out of nowhere, delivers flat out spoilers in her first appearence, has all the "plot relevant" items, a massive offender of aerith and bob and is never explained? The authors sister. Nobody would dare attack a sibling of their creator.

well part of it was that she was supposed to give her little prophecy and then buzz off
but the problem was that she was to popular and CP couldn't kill her off

AtlanteanTroll
2011-11-19, 01:27 PM
Personally, I'm just mad that we never got a book called Empire. :smallsigh:

Lord Raziere
2011-11-19, 01:30 PM
mostly because there is already a book called Empire- by Orson Scott Card (I think I got the authors name right)- about America in the future or something.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-11-19, 01:42 PM
mostly because there is already a book called Empire- by Orson Scott Card (I think I got the authors name right)- about America in the future or something.
Pretty sure that wouldn't stop him.

Lord Raziere
2011-11-19, 02:04 PM
….uh…..even Paolini isn't that obvious a ripoff? he may have ripped off a lot of sources, but his names are still different. to someone not paying attention, or hasn't read some/all the sources he stole from, they might as well be completely different things as long as there is no copyright infringement

what Paolini is guilty of is blatant but untouchable plagiarism, not open copyright infringement.

Traab
2011-11-19, 02:38 PM
….uh…..even Paolini isn't that obvious a ripoff? he may have ripped off a lot of sources, but his names are still different. to someone not paying attention, or hasn't read some/all the sources he stole from, they might as well be completely different things as long as there is no copyright infringement

what Paolini is guilty of is blatant but untouchable plagiarism, not open copyright infringement.

In other words, he could still use the title Empire, he just has to add a tilde or some other accent to alter how its pronounced. Then its totally not a ripoff anymore, just like the rest of his work.

Lord Raziere
2011-11-19, 02:42 PM
Yeah, he could've gone with "Emperor" to. however an accent? I 'm guessing that would be kinda stretching it. though I wouldn't be surprised if a lawyer could probably get Paolini off on a technicality if it had an accent.

Axolotl
2011-11-19, 02:46 PM
Yeah, he could've gone with "Emperor" to. however an accent? I 'm guessing that would be kinda stretching it. though I wouldn't be surprised if a lawyer could probably get Paolini off on a technicality if it had an accent.Why would he need a lawyer at all? There's nothing illegal about calling a book Empire.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-19, 05:43 PM
Why would he need a lawyer at all? There's nothing illegal about calling a book Empire.

It is if Orson Scott Card has a copyright on the title "Empire" under the copyright category 'Books/Literature/Whatever'.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-11-19, 05:45 PM
It is if Orson Scott Card has a copyright on the title "Empire" under the copyright category 'Books/Literature/Whatever'.

That'd be like ... ... Like ... ... You could never have Empire in a book title again. Right?

This is getting into not board appropriate discussion isn't it.

Lord Raziere
2011-11-19, 05:51 PM
well I do have a piece of evidence that supports my dying faith in such copyright matters, but yes it probably is getting into inappropriate discussion….

I'll stop.

Axolotl
2011-11-19, 05:55 PM
It is if Orson Scott Card has a copyright on the title "Empire" under the copyright category 'Books/Literature/Whatever'.According to my deep intensive research into the subject (5 seconds on wikipedia) there are at least six books called "Empire", 4 of which predate Orson Scott Card's.

I'm fairly sure Paolini could make it 7 if he wanted.

Worira
2011-11-19, 05:57 PM
Basically, you could have a a fantasy/science fiction book titled "Empire of Murderhate", or a history of the Roman Empire called "Empire", but not a science fiction/fantasy book called "Empire".

Disclaimer: Not lawyer, etc.

Lord Seth
2011-11-19, 11:29 PM
It is if Orson Scott Card has a copyright on the title "Empire" under the copyright category 'Books/Literature/Whatever'.Barring exceptional circumstances, you can't copyright titles.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-19, 11:31 PM
Barring exceptional circumstances, you can't copyright titles.

True.

I think you can trademark them though, but I have no idea what the legal differentiation is between a copyright and a trademark, or if it's relevant here.