PDA

View Full Version : "We all have our Little Problems." [Monster]

Tanuki Tales
2011-11-16, 12:57 AM
Oolimen

http://hmartists123.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/hyde.jpg

Dr. Jekyll, you're wanted by the Knights of the Holy Order...

It's Mr. Hyde, now!

for the murder of twelve men, six women, four...

Four children, three goats, and a rather nasty massacre of poultry!

Oolimen skin tones range in a variety of shades though most commonly they are of light, flesh colored tones because of their mountainous environs. Their hair is most commonly brown or black, their eyes following suite. Oolimen wear crudely made clothing crafted from animal hides, the fur commonly left on in patches. Oolimen rarely put much care into their apparel, simply adding on more furs to the putrid ensemble and discarding any that wear out. Full grown Oolimen stand 10 feet tall and weigh about 1,200 pounds. Oolimen can live to be 400 years old but very few individuals ever meet anything but a violent end at a young age.

Though Oolimen are quite adept at long range combat, they rarely choose tactics over the chance to get close and personal with their foes, relishing the visceral brutality of melee. Only when it is quite apparent that they are out numbered or overpowered will they ever resort to ranged combat.

The Oolimen are selfish creatures to the core, caring only for their own personal needs, ambitions and pleasures. They band together in family units not because of normal bonds of love or caring but because they see families and tribes as things to be used for personal advancement and power exertions. Oolimen also understand that while puissant, they are not immortal or the most powerful creatures in the world so there is always safety in numbers.

The origin of the Oolimen is quite unclear, they having appeared at some point just prior to the end of the Great Taming by the gods. They surfaced in the Jaegerback Mountains south of the Haven Zone and spread across the whole range as time passed. The Free People of Haven had no real dealings or encounters with the foul race until four hundred years ago. Gathered together by a mighty and strange chieftain known as Grumlash, every tribe of the Oolimen at the time made war upon the Haven Zone. The conflicts that became known as the Southern War last for thirty years before the forces of Haven managed to find and kill Grumlash. The Oolimen, with their numbers decimated from war and their chieftain killed, were driven back to their mountains where they have remained to this day, fighting amongst themselves while making forays into the highlands and lower plains that the Free People of Haven expanded into following the War.

This somewhat portly giant grins manically at you as a thick purple tongue runs over its sharp teeth. Clawed fingers dig into the hilt of a club, its free hand pulling up the back of its hide pants as it slowly moves forward.

Ooliman

NE Large Humanoid (Giant) CR 5
Hit Dice: 87 hp (7d8+56)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 feet (30 feet in armor), Climb 30 feet
Armor Class: 17 (+4 Armor, +1 Dex, +3 Natural, -1 Size), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Attack: 2 claws +10 (1d6+5) or Club +10 (1d8+ 7) or Club +10 (1d8+5) and Claw +5 (1d6+2) or Rock +6 (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities Str 21, Dex 12, Con 25, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 6
Base Attack Bonus: +5
CMB: +11 CMD: 22
Skills: Acrobatics +6, Intimidate +9, Perception +7
Feats: Intimidating Prowess, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Acrobatics), Toughness
Environment: Cold Mountains.
Organization: Solitary, gang (2-5), band (6-8), raiding party (9-12 plus 1d4 dire wolves), or tribe (13-30, plus 35% noncombatants, plus 1 barbarian or fighter chieftain (generally 4th-6th level), 11-16 dire wolves, 1-4 variable monsters (such as Owlbear or Minotaur), and 13-20 slaves).
Treasure: Standard (hide armor, club, other treasure)
Special Attacks: Rock Throwing (120 feet)
Special Qualities: Ghost Eyes, Low-light vision, Rapid Scarification, Rock Catching

Ghost Eyes (Ex): Oolimen can see things that are invisible to the eyes of most, their vision being a strange combination of seeing infrared, electromagnetic waves and the frequency magical energy operates on. Living creatures as a result give off light that illuminates themselves and the surrounding area around them to the eyes of the Ooliman. Medium creatures give off light out to 60 feet and this doubles or halves for creatures larger or smaller (minimum of 4 feet, maximum 960). This vision follows the same rules as regular sight and spells and effects such as Invisibility, Mirror Image or similar do not hide a creature.

Rapid Scarification (Ex): Though Oolimen do not truly heal at a rapid rate they do staunch grievous wounds and other threats to their lives near instantly. Whenever an Ooliman takes damage that deals hit points damage he heals 1d4+1/2 his hit dice hit points. This healing takes place after the damage is assigned but before any negative effects, such as unconsciousness or death, are checked for (For example, if an Ooliman takes 16 points of damage and it would reduce him to -1 hp he would remain conscious and acting normally since he healed 1d4+3 hp before unconsciousness was checked for). An Ooliman can never heal more damage through this ability than was originally dealt (for example if an Ooliman takes 1 point of damage and would heal 5, they only heal the 1 point of damage).

An Ooliman additionally receives a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against any negative effect that was transmitted by the same source of damage it healed from (such as poison or disease), the threat caught in the scarred tissue.

Change Log
11/16/11 - Added in forgotten rules text for Rapid Scarification.

11/17/11 - Constitution score reduced from 30 to 25.

Comments
Originally, when populating the continent that my campaign setting will be majorly taking place in for the time being, I had planned to make the barbarian foes of the Free People of Haven (the capital and the base races) be Hill Giants. But as I got working I realized that while neat, they wouldn't make good foes for my PCs until far after their starting point.

So, while watching Van Helsing for the umpteenth time, I found myself inspired by Mr. Hyde.

And thus the Oolimen are born to take the place of the Hill Giants and to be the scourge of my PCs from time to time. Being lower CR means I can throw more than one at a time for my players to take on and makes the encounters themselves more believable (seriously, how many times can a party come across that one Hill Giant who's a loner like the 7 before him? At least roving gangs being away from the mountains make more sense, especially if they're under someone else's control).

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-11-16, 08:14 PM
Rapid Scarification: Though Oolimen do not truly heal at a rapid rate they do staunch grievous wounds and other threats to their lives near instantly. Whenever an Ooliman takes damage that deals hit points damage he heals 1d4+1/2 his hit dice hit points. This healing takes place after the damage is assigned but before any negative effects, such as unconsciousness or death, are checked for (For example, if an Ooliman takes 16 points of damage and it would reduce him to -1 hp he would remain conscious and acting normally since he healed 1d4+3 hp before unconsciousness was checked for). An Ooliman may never heal more hit points from an attack than the total damage dealt by that attack (For example, if an Ooliman takes 1 point of damage and would heal 5 hit points, he instead only heals 1 hit point).

The part in bold is, I think, necessary to avoid silly situation like repeated pin-pricks for healing purposes.

Mando Knight
2011-11-16, 08:22 PM
I agree with Djinn... though at that point, you'd be just as well off making it Energy resistance and DR /- equal to 2 + ½ HD.

Tanuki Tales
2011-11-16, 08:29 PM
The part in bold is, I think, necessary to avoid silly situation like repeated pin-pricks for healing purposes.

See, I had that in my original hand written notes, but I completely forgot to type it in. :smallsigh:

Thanks.

Tanuki Tales
2011-11-16, 08:36 PM
Added in the clarification.

Now, the important question is, are these guys properly CRed?

Mando Knight
2011-11-16, 08:51 PM
Added in the clarification.

Now, the important question is, are these guys properly CRed?

I don't think so. A properly optimized group can just walk all over them with save-or-die spells and the like, but you don't have too many of those abilities at level 5 without cheese. That makes their ridiculous amount of HP and regenerative ability fairly important.

Tanuki Tales
2011-11-16, 09:21 PM
I don't think so. A properly optimized group can just walk all over them with save-or-die spells and the like, but you don't have too many of those abilities at level 5 without cheese. That makes their ridiculous amount of HP and regenerative ability fairly important.

Well, they aren't like a foe who can actually regenerate.

Now with Trolls, you need either fire or acid or enough free time to kill them. They are otherwise a handful for combating via hit point damage.

Oolimen on the other hand just generally heal enough damage to stop bleeding out or to maybe help against that poison or disease or other weapon applied debuff you just hit them with.

The standard Oolimen will heal 1 to 7 hit points on a successful hit, but unlike a Troll they won't return to full health except through magic and natural healing. So eventually you'll whittle them down, faster than the Troll potentially, and they'll be quite dead unlike their Troll cousin.

Mando Knight
2011-11-17, 01:05 PM
Oolimen on the other hand just generally heal enough damage to stop bleeding out or to maybe help against that poison or disease or other weapon applied debuff you just hit them with.

The standard Oolimen will heal 1 to 7 hit points on a successful hit, but unlike a Troll they won't return to full health except through magic and natural healing. So eventually you'll whittle them down, faster than the Troll potentially, and they'll be quite dead unlike their Troll cousin.
I don't know if there is a disease or poison that is available to level 5 characters that the Oolimen can't save against.

They also resist all damage (essentially DR 1d4+3/- and Energy Resistance (all) 1d4+3). While a Troll requires fire or acid damage to kill, a wizard in a troll-heavy campaign will pack several fire and acid spells, mundane fire is easy enough to create, and access to such attacks makes the Troll's regeneration relatively insignificant. An Oolimen is relatively hard to kill since it resists all forms of damage and has relatively huge reserves of HP.

Tanuki Tales
2011-11-17, 02:00 PM
Alright, reduced the Constitution score by 5.

More in line with being CR 5?

Mando Knight
2011-11-17, 02:26 PM
I think you forgot to adjust the Fort save, but yes.

Tanuki Tales
2011-11-17, 02:44 PM
I think you forgot to adjust the Fort save, but yes.

Yeah, I did. Thanks.