PDA

View Full Version : [3.5][PRC] Soul Invoker (dual invocations & meldshaper)

Tenebris
2011-11-16, 10:17 AM
Soul Invoker

With my will I shall reshape your soul to my liking.

Some warlocks inherit their power from their supernatural ancestors, while the others seek it in bargains with fiends. Few of them, known as Soul Invokers, consider it lacking ambition. They choose to use soul energies as a source of their power, shaping pure incarnum to their will. While most of the warlocks are chaotic or evil, Soul Invokers seek to be paragons of their alignments, incorporating the very ideas behind them.

Entry Requirements:

Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks.
Meldshaping: Ability to shape three soulmelds; ability to bind a soulmeld to a chakra.
Essentia Pool: 1.
Special: Eldritch blast +2d6.

Table 1: Soul Invoker
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Invoking, Meldshaping, Eldritch Investment 1
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Chakra binds (crown, feet, hands)
4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Eldritch Investment 2
5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Sapphire Resilience
6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|
7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| Eldritch Investment 3
8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Chakra binds (arms, brow, shoulders)
9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|
10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| Eldritch Investment 4, Sapphire Soul [/table]

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration (Con), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Hit Dice: d6.

Invoking: At each Soul Invoker level, you gain new invocations known, increased damage with eldritch blast, and an increase in invoker level as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Meldshaping: At each Soul Invoker level, you increase your meldshaper level, the number of soulmelds you can shape, the number of chakra binds you can create, and your essentia pool as if you had gained a level in a meldshaping class to which you belonged prior to gaining the sapphire hierarch level. You do not, however, gain any other abilities of that class, such as new tiers of chakra binds (instead, you unlock new chakra binds at certain points dictated by your Invoker level). If you had more than one meldshaping class before becoming a Soul Invoker, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining your essentia pool, meldshaper level, and the number of soulmelds and chakra binds available.

Eldritch Investment (Su): Beginning at 1st level, you can invest essentia in your eldritch blast to make it more powerful. At the same time that you shape your soulmelds, you can choose to invest some points of essentia in your eldritch blast. You may invest only one point at the 1st level, and one additional for every three Soul Invoker levels above first, as it is indicated in the table.

For every point of essentia invested, your eldritch blast damage increases by 1d6 points. For every two points, your eldritch blast DC increases by 1. This benefit stacks with the Ability Focus(eldritch blast) feat.

Chakra Binds: As you attain higher levels, you can bind your soulmelds and magic items to your chakras, gaining new powers based on the combination chosen. At 3rd level, you can bind your soulmelds or magic items to your least chakra (crown, feet, and hands), in addition to any other chakras you have available. When you attain 8th level, your lesser chakras (arms, brow, and shoulders) become available for chakra binds.

Sapphire Resilience (Su): You may invest your essentia points in this ability, in the same manner as you invest it in your incarnum feats. You gain damage reduction X/cold iron, where X equals number of the essentia invested in this ability. It stacks with damage reduction gained from other sources, such as warlock’s damage reduction or Fey Skin feat.

Sapphire Soul: At 10th level your type changes to outsider. You gain darkvision out to 60 feet. Furthermore, you do not need to eat or sleep (although you can do so if you wish). You still need to breathe. Unlike other outsiders, the Soul Invoker can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

In addition, you gain a number of bonus essentia points equal to the half of your Charisma modifier (rounded down, minimum one point). You no longer age nor can be magically aged. You retain any aging penalties and bonuses you may already have.

Tenebris
2011-11-16, 10:18 AM
Reserved for epic progression

Tenebris
2011-11-16, 10:20 AM
Reserved for some related homebrew feats, if I'd ever want to design some

SamBurke
2011-11-16, 11:13 AM
So.... I get to be an outsider by level 15? Done.

Oh, and I get 12th ish level invocations/binding? Done. With a goodly pool of extra essentia points? Double done.

Other nice minor stuff to fill in the gaps, too.

Please, please, be careful with capstones. Yes, the reward someone for going through the entire class. I'd see it's OK, but still a bit dangerous. We're talking high skill points, a 1/1 BAB, major stuffs.

Tenebris
2011-11-16, 11:57 AM
Sapphire Soul is hardly imbalanced. Outsider by the level 15th is very common, and bonus essentia is slightly better than Totem Rage ability, and much worse than Harvest Soul, not to mention persistent Incarnum Apotheosis.

Eldritch Investment is far more imbalanced, IMHO, but warlock is usually considered poor blaster at late levels, so I've tried to compensate it. Mixing it with Hellfire Blast is probably an overkill though. Still, 1/2 BAB makes a poor glaivelock.

I've decided to give to this PRC some nice features in comparison to Soulcaster, because I've felt something should make up for warlock's lost special abilities (Fiendish Resilience, energy resistance).

Howler Dagger
2011-11-16, 07:13 PM
Neither of these are problems IMO

So.... I get to be an outsider by level 15? Done.
See also: Planetouched

Oh, and I get 12th ish level invocations/binding? Done. With a goodly pool of extra essentia points? Double done.

I assume you mean meldshaping instead of binding. But is it really more powerful than, say Mystic theurge with 12ish cleric/wizard casting?