PDA

View Full Version : You Are Given An Apprenticeship

DarthArminius
2011-11-16, 12:29 PM
A mysterious, powerful creature appears and informs you that you are to be given your favorite fictional teacher. He or she will teach you everything that he or she knows. Whoever that teacher is must have an enemy for you to fight.

After the teacher has taught you all that he or she knows, they disappear and their enemy appears for you to deal with.

For purposes of participating in this thread, here's an example of who to choose for a teacher.

Let's say a Harry Potter fan comes into the thread. He squees with wonder and then exlaims, "Dumbledore!"

Dr.Epic
2011-11-16, 12:33 PM
Uncle Iroh.:smallwink:

Forum Explorer
2011-11-16, 12:45 PM
Raistlin Majere. Provided that the enemy isn't Fistandilous or Raistlin Majere.

Kneenibble
2011-11-16, 12:49 PM
I choose Ms. Frizzle! & my enemy is fashion.

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-16, 12:51 PM
The Master (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_%28Doctor_Who%29).
Because he's brilliant and amusingly mad, the scenario leaves no room for him to get me killed, then I immediately throw myself on the Doctor's mercy and we double team the mysterious entity mucking around with causality. :smallcool:

Dr.Epic
2011-11-16, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Tiki Snakes;12228505]The Master (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_%28Doctor_Who%29).QUOTE]

From Manos: the Hands of Fate? Why would you choose him?:smallwink:

Flickerdart
2011-11-16, 01:10 PM
Everything, you say? Any omnipotent/omniscient figure will do, then.

grimbold
2011-11-16, 01:16 PM
hmm
Ms Frizzle
or
Mazer Rackham
both are pretty awesome

Karoht
2011-11-16, 01:31 PM
A mysterious, powerful creature appears and informs you that you are to be given your favorite fictional teacher. He or she will teach you everything that he or she knows. Whoever that teacher is must have an enemy for you to fight.

After the teacher has taught you all that he or she knows, they disappear and their enemy appears for you to deal with.Dr Strange. Or Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Alec Guiness version. No Yoda though, not my style.

Fan
2011-11-16, 01:32 PM
Princess Celestia.:smallcool:

What?

Nameless
2011-11-16, 01:39 PM

What?

+1

:smallcool:

Tyndmyr
2011-11-16, 01:39 PM
Let's say a Harry Potter fan comes into the thread. He squees with wonder and then exlaims, "Dumbledore!"

Weee! Voldemort!

Maxios
2011-11-16, 01:46 PM
Sam Vimes :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2011-11-16, 01:47 PM
Uncle Iroh. The closest thing he has to an archenemy is the Fire Lord who,depending on whether or not the series has finished when the apprenticeship begins, is either A: Busy dealing with the Avatar or B *SPOILERS*:
Imprisoned and no longer has his bending.

Forum Explorer
2011-11-16, 02:02 PM

What?

but then ypu have to fight Discord who is the best thing ever.

Fan
2011-11-16, 02:05 PM
but then ypu have to fight Discord who is the best thing ever.

I fail to see a problem here. =I

I mean, I get to hear him TALK, be a unicorn (req for being Princess Celestia's most faithful student.), and learn about the magic of friendship.

I will gladly fight the guy who sits there, watches my ultra attack charge, and then takes it on his throne of pimp awesome.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-16, 02:12 PM
Mal Reynolds.

Forum Explorer
2011-11-16, 02:17 PM
I fail to see a problem here. =I

I mean, I get to hear him TALK, be a unicorn (req for being Princess Celestia's most faithful student.), and learn about the magic of friendship.

I will gladly fight the guy who sits there, watches my ultra attack charge, and then takes it on his throne of pimp awesome.

Fair enough but I have to admit I would want to find a way to not imprison him in stone. (which seems to me to be the worst punishment for a shapeshifter)

Traab
2011-11-16, 02:24 PM
Id assume that as an apprentice, I would not only be capable of using their abilities/knowledge, but have access to any needed supplies? So if I were to say, choose a character from Neon Genesis Evangelion I would be able to learn to run a mecha, and have access to one of my own?

Meh, I dunno, there are so many choices, and the bad thing is that the best ones have the worst enemies. I think I would choose to learn from a bad guy though, because having to fight my good enemy means its not likely to the death since good guys rarely kill. So, I would choose..... magneto! His power is highly kick ass, plus he is a freaking INTELLIGENT guy with a lot to teach besides how to throw chunks of metal around. After I learn everything from him, ill go fight xavier, indicate that I dont want to fight him, and everything will be fine.

Eldan
2011-11-16, 02:33 PM

I just wanted to say that.

Karoht
2011-11-16, 02:35 PM
I'd study under Magneto but then go join the Xmen as a team member.

DiscipleofBob
2011-11-16, 02:42 PM

Except Magneto's power is genetic so he really can't teach it to anyone. :smalltongue:

Hm... I pick... Lupin the Third. I get the best thieving skills in the world, can steal/rob anything and anyone, probably get quite a few reliable underworld contacts in the process, and the worst I have to do in the end is evade Zenigata for awhile.

GeekGirl
2011-11-16, 03:33 PM
Mal Reynolds.

^_^ not my answer but still ^_^

Michael Westen, he may not have any superpower but he has a pretty damn impressive skill set. Though for superpower Mara Jade Skywalker.

Pie Guy
2011-11-16, 04:04 PM
Dr. McNinja. All I'd have to do is be annoyed at King Radical for a while.
Or perhaps the Franz Rayner. that would be problematic.

Starwulf
2011-11-16, 04:24 PM
Ash Ketchum! I get to learn to harness the awesome power of friendship with Pokemon, become a (more or less) Master Trainer, and all I have to deal with is occasionally saving the world from some odd-ball threat, or dealing with Team Rocket! As long as I can find a Charmander somewhere, I'll be set :)

Terraoblivion
2011-11-16, 05:26 PM
Yukari Yakumo. Incredibly skilled and powerful onmyodo, that's the Japanese variant of a Daoist magician, world's greatest mathematician, the one person who knows the most about the world she lives in and epic troll for fun times. Not just that, getting her as a teacher would mean moving to Gensokyo and have a reality warper look favorably on you, while also getting a good way of getting to meet other cool people from Gensokyo. What's not to like?

Tengu_temp
2011-11-16, 05:31 PM
I see no value in training, just in the results it brings (and the training for anything cool here would most likely be long and hard), and the benefits from the results are easily balanced by the fact that you have to fight a powerful bad guy by the end. Since I don't feel like giving a smartass answer that would mitigate that downside, I'm gonna say: no thanks, I'll just live my life the way I did it until now.

</buzzkill>

The_Snark
2011-11-16, 06:10 PM
I choose Ms. Frizzle!

This was my first thought too.

Traab
2011-11-16, 06:17 PM
Except Magneto's power is genetic so he really can't teach it to anyone. :smalltongue:

Hm... I pick... Lupin the Third. I get the best thieving skills in the world, can steal/rob anything and anyone, probably get quite a few reliable underworld contacts in the process, and the worst I have to do in the end is evade Zenigata for awhile.

So is magic but the OP specifically referred to harry potter and being taught by dumbledoore. That means technically you can pick anyone who knows anything or can DO anything and get to do it. I considered gandalf, but you never really see him kick THAT much ass magically speaking. And his enemy is frigging sauron. Being a wise sage with magical powers would be neat, but that enemy was way out of gandalfs league.

Howler Dagger
2011-11-16, 06:19 PM
Palpatine or Darth Bane..............

I have no clue. One of them, or Chiron.

Geno9999
2011-11-16, 07:48 PM
Villain Teacher: Discord or the Joker. Basically, whenever I feel like being chaotic/mischievous-evil, I can at least say "I did it for the lulz!"

Heroic Teacher: Celestia or Batman too obvious :smalltongue:
Cynthia from Pokemon D/P/Pt. I get my own ROBOT EMPEROR PENGUIN, and get to take down Team Galatic.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-11-16, 07:52 PM

What?

Damnit all Fan how can you say something I have nothing to disagree with. Its a sign of the apocalypse.

Valameer
2011-11-16, 07:53 PM
Mal Reynolds.

Inara Serra.

playswithfire
2011-11-16, 08:59 PM
"Villain" Apprenticeship: David Xanatos
Hero Apprenticeship: Tony Stark

I trust myself to handle finances and technology better (both in terms of effectiveness and ethics) than I would with supernatural abilities; throwing caution to the wind, I'd probably pick Iroh or Dr Strange for the hero and perhaps Doom for the villain

Traab
2011-11-16, 10:49 PM
Hmm, for a villain I might go with sauron himself. Think about it. He is an insanely powerful being, capable of creating races of loyal monsters, and subverting the most powerful magical artifacts of all other races and putting them under his control. That, and the fact that he is capable of wiping out a dozen soldiers with a single swipe of his mace means id learn to be an all around billy badass. Plus, whose my enemy, FRODO?! Heh, even if its gandalf, there is likely a reason gandalf never directly confronted him on his own. It took the entire white council to chase him off from his necromancer personas lair. And he wasnt even close to full power then. Pretty sure id curb stomp gandalf in a direct confrontation once ive mastered everything sauron knows.

polity4life
2011-11-16, 10:56 PM
I have to possibilities:

First, Seijuro Hiko. What will he teach me? Hiten mitsurugi style. Who are his villains? Literally everyone but he opts to fight very few (and everyone who doesn't buy his pottery).

Second, Raistlin Majere. What will he teach me? How to be a god. Who are his villains? The entire pantheon of gods. Now, I don't know if I would wage a scorched earth war with the makers of reality but I can think of a few gods who could bite it and the whole would let slide.

Lord Raziere
2011-11-17, 12:26 AM
:smallamused:

Lelouch Lamperouge.

alternatively….

Chejop Kejack

alternatively alternatively….

The Ebon Dragon.

Cespenar
2011-11-17, 05:29 AM
The Glorious Strategist.

Heh.

kamikasei
2011-11-17, 05:41 AM
Not sure either quite meet the enemy requirement (if that has to be a single, established nemesis rather than just similarly-powered adversaries), but I'm thinking either Nanoha Takamachi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoha_Takamachi) or Diziet Sma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diziet_Sma). Both could teach me many of the things I'd like to be able to do, and come with context which allows for indefinite further development.

This is assuming that I either a) have whatever inborn potential it takes to be a capable Nanohaverse mage, or b) get a standard suite of Culture "upgrades".

Aotrs Commander
2011-11-17, 07:15 AM

Just worth noting that Magneto currently is a regular X-team member...

(Again.)

Being as I already am a phenominally powerful Lich with access to stupidly advanced technology, actually, there aren't too many people I'd want to study under (well, besides Lord Death Despoil - my overall commander - but that hardly counts under the thread topic.)

Maybe Kakashi Hatake... He's pretty laid back and I'm smart enough to pick up things fast, so he'd not have to try too hard either. And then we could take turns winding Guy and Lee up, and probably Naruto, too...

Nanoha Takamachi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoha_Takamachi)

Yeah, okay, I'd go for that.

Actually, or Fate or Hayate, I'm not picky...

(Not Yuuno, though. He's cool and all, poor guy, and no doubt fasinating to talk to (no, seriously, he's like a goldmine of information, it'd like talking to the metaphysical personification of QI), but I'm not sure how turning into a ferret or filing giant magical libraries would augment my combat abilities...

And now I've said that, one day, some situation will arise that requires me to turn into a small mustilid or file an ancient magical archive and I will eat those words...)

I suppose I'd take Dumbledore, though, if only because I would get to smack Voldy in the face with a rocket launcher and utilise some of my Horrible Death Spells on Umbridge.

Heck, I'd join anyone in the Marvel U1 if given the chance to massacre Shi'Ar and especially that dip...poo of all excremental dippings, Gladiator!

Though Celestia would be a good giggle, I guess, though I ain't turning into a pony (like my rocket launcher fingers too much, thanks2) and the general idea human-in-Equestris is kinda unappealing to me... On the other claw attack, I suppose no-one has done Lich-in-Equestria, have they?

1Jubilee especially...not sure she could actually teach me anything useful, but it would be So. Cool. Actually, I might be able to do stuff for her re power loss and vampirism...

2I.e. my fingers that I use to operate my rocket launcher, not that my fingers are rocket launchers, as I've always held that shooting parts of yourself (e.g. fists) is kinda stupid and defeats the object of having spells and weapons...

Soras Teva Gee
2011-11-17, 09:05 AM
Not sure either quite meet the enemy requirement (if that has to be a single, established nemesis rather than just similarly-powered adversaries), but I'm thinking either Nanoha Takamachi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoha_Takamachi)

The White Devil.... you are braver then I am. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bqPRLfVB0I)

Psyren
2011-11-17, 10:48 AM
Rand al'Therin! (Taking on Moridin might be a pain in the posterior, though...)

Maybe Father Balder, simply because getting my ass kicked by Bayonetta afterward would be worth it.

...this is harder than I thought.

Probably Aizen (including his intelligence) and when Ichigo shows up I just walk away and leave his friends alone.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-17, 11:12 AM
Mr Miyagi, Zeb Macahan, Richard Dragon, Batman, Pai Mei (I'd hate the sonnuvabastich though, and I'd only ask him to teach me if I had been teached by the other guys).

Kato
2011-11-17, 11:22 AM
Who? Well, of course the Doctor. I'm sure I'd be a great time traveller. Maybe I'd not b as harmless as him but apart from that... beware universe, Kato got a TARDIS!

But really, there are like a dozen other people I could think of...

thorgrim29
2011-11-17, 11:34 AM
Ebenezar McCoy, as long as his enemy is the White King and not Kinkaid or the Black Council, because that would be bad in so many ways. (Also I need to find a way to still use a computer and a cell phone, a magical faraday cage maybe?). Uncle Iroh post the last airbender. Klaus Wulfenbach, hell, learn how to remain sane while having a very strong spark, yes please. Plus his enemy is probably going to be taken care of by the main characters anyway. Hermione Granger. Tony Stark is a good one too, not Batman because the Joker is a scary son of a bitch. From what I've read about it, anyone from the Culture that lets me access their tech. Divaith Fir (is that how it's spelled?), the wizard in Morrowind that found out how to be immortal among other stuff.

druid91
2011-11-17, 01:23 PM
Villainous option: The Void dragon of Mars.

I mean who wouldn't want to learn how to command technology across mass distances, up to and including mind-control of anyone with cybernetic implants(Oh you have a pace-maker Mr. President? Thank you for your contribution to my meat-puppet army), the ability to shoot lightning and finally the construction of a Living-metal necrodermis to implant myself in, along with all sorts of eldritch tech that would make what we have today look like a pointy stick?

Heroic option: Ben kenobi, Alec guiness version.

I'm sure there are more powerful choices out there, but he's ben kenobi. Besides power is for villains. Resourcefulness is for heroes.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-11-17, 06:02 PM
I considered gandalf, but you never really see him kick THAT much ass magically speaking. And his enemy is frigging sauron. Being a wise sage with magical powers would be neat, but that enemy was way out of gandalfs league.
Except that Gandalf actually is in the same ''power-class'' as Sauron, one of the Maiar. The reason that you never saw him ''kick THAT much ass magically speaking'' was because he was commanded to take human form by the Valar and mainly help/advice the races of Middle-Earth defeat Sauron. He could, he just was commanded not to.

Hmm, for a villain I might go with sauron himself. Think about it. He is an insanely powerful being, I think I feel a counter-quote post coming up >.>
capable of creating races of loyal monsters
Mutate, and that was only one race. And it was actually Morgoth, Saurons old master who did that, the loyalty just kind of passed on from Morgoth to his (chief) lieutenant, Sauron.

and subverting the most powerful magical artifacts of all other races and putting them under his control.
Primarily because he actually helped make them/instructed the Elves how to make them. He could not actually even effect the three elven rings made without his help, much. Also while he could controll the dwarven rings and make the rings evil, it only made the dwarves who wore them greedier and not under Saurons control.

That, and the fact that he is capable of wiping out a dozen soldiers with a single swipe of his mace means id learn to be an all around billy badass.
Going by movie/game versions, WITH his ring, yes.
Not to mention the mace was enchanted I think. Though given the OP's post, you'd get that.

Plus, whose my enemy, FRODO?! Heh, even if its gandalf, there is likely a reason gandalf never directly confronted him on his own.
Because Gandalf was commanded not to, by the Valar.(If you don't know who the valar are...Well consider them demi-gods and the maiar angels)

As for a enemy, the valar could stomp him, but promised themselves non-interference laws. There's not really a direct opposer to Sauron, if you had to pick one, it would most likely be Gandalf or Aragorn.

It took the entire white council to chase him off from his necromancer personas lair. And he wasnt even close to full power then. Pretty sure id curb stomp gandalf in a direct confrontation once ive mastered everything sauron knows.
Actually Saurons greatest powers were in the nature of deceit, treachery and shape-shifting. And after the fall of Numenor he could no longer shift into a ''fair shape, only that of a horrific dark lord''
But I think that Gandalf with his powers unleashed and with permission from the valar, would be a pretty OK match to Sauron. But direct power-levels were never given, as that was not the way of Tolkien.
Not to mention that a mere ''human'' did cut off his main power source.

Also it was ''with relative ease'' that they drove out Sauron, if I remember right, but don't quote me on that.:smalltongue:

If you're going for Sauron, you're really going to have to choose what time you want Sauron from...
Not trying to disagree(much) with you here, just trying to keep your facts straight.:smallwink:

Aotrs Commander
2011-11-17, 06:27 PM
Except that Gandalf actually is in the same ''power-class'' as Sauron, one of the Maiar. The reason that you never saw him ''kick THAT much ass magically speaking'' was because he was commanded to take human form by the Valar and mainly help/advice the races of Middle-Earth defeat Sauron. He could, he just was commanded not to.

Sauron was stronger than Gandalf. Not all demigods are made equal. Balrogs are Maia, too, and a fairly average one very nearly/technically did kill Gandalf when they were fighting hammer-and-tongs in a region devoid of collateral damage. Sauron was arguably the strongest of the Maia, pretty much: though some of the Valar's personal servants might have come close by the time of the War of the Ring, he was certainly strongest to exist in Middle Earth (though within the Old Forest, dear old Tom might have come very very close.)

Maia also, even Sauron, were not in the same destroy-the-land levels of power the Valar were afraid of unleashing, at least not in small numbers. If the Isatari collectively could have tackled Sauron directly, I'm sure they would have (because whose land are they devastating? Mordor? I'm pretty sure Manwe's not too bothered about Orks being blown up!)

Because Gandalf was commanded not to, by the Valar.(If you don't know who the valar are...Well consider them demi-gods and the maiar angels)

Nothing I've ever read suggests that - they sent Maia over rather than fight themselves to avoid destroying too much and preferring to act through intermediaries, but I don't recall ever seeing it written that they put any restrictions on them. The Isatari might have been more powerful in the Undying Lands, but that's subtly different; it's not a commanded restriction, more part of the whole Maia-tied-to-[thing]-weaker-when-not-where-tied stuff.

If you're going for Sauron, you're really going to have to choose what time you want Sauron from...
Not trying to disagree(much) with you here, just trying to keep your facts straight.:smallwink:

Well, on that basis, you'd go for probably pre-end of the Last Alliance.

Or just cut out the middle-demigod and go for Morgoth before Luthien and Beren nicked his simirils...

The Witch-King
2011-11-19, 07:40 PM
Inara Serra.

You almost--almost--made me want to change my answer, but not quite. Besides which, she doesn't really have an enemy, so does she count for this? But still--wow--those are exams I'd enjoy studying for...

I choose Dr. Strange. Nanoha if he's not available.

Trixie
2011-11-20, 06:02 AM
Villainous option: The Void dragon of Mars.

I mean who wouldn't want to learn how to command technology across mass distances, up to and including mind-control of anyone with cybernetic implants(Oh you have a pace-maker Mr. President? Thank you for your contribution to my meat-puppet army), the ability to shoot lightning and finally the construction of a Living-metal necrodermis to implant myself in, along with all sorts of eldritch tech that would make what we have today look like a pointy stick?

But... That would make your enemy The Emperor. Or, Silent King of the Necron race. Either are... not a very good thing to have against yourself.

As for teacher, no one mentioned Van Hohenheim of FMA fame? Sure, beating Homonculus might be kind of hard, but in the end, he just wasn't that imaginative, and was quite easy to beat. The only problematic thing in this deal would be 'sacrifice' part to awaken true power, but SCIENCE! we have today might mitigate anything but blindness suffered by Mustang...

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-20, 10:27 AM
Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the shell, though I did also consider Kamina from TTGL.

Fan
2011-11-20, 10:32 AM
Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the shell, though I did also consider Kamina from TTGL.

But then you have to fight The Anti Spiral.. The All Powerful God King of the Universe.

Jahkaivah
2011-11-20, 10:52 AM

What?

+1

:smallcool:

Damnit all Fan how can you say something I have nothing to disagree with. Its a sign of the apocalypse.

She's looking forward to it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtUb9iDZmWw)

Story Time
2011-11-20, 11:05 AM
Hiiro Yuy.

:smallbiggrin:

Really, it's not as cool as you think. Hiiro's school would hurt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VSdqA6-AA&feature=related).

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-20, 11:34 AM
My own imaginary self. Well, it's fiction too :}

Lord Raziere
2011-11-20, 12:34 PM
But then you have to fight The Anti Spiral.. The All Powerful God King of the Universe.

better than the Anti-Spiral being my mentor. then I'd have to fight Kamina :smalleek:

druid91
2011-11-20, 12:36 PM
But... That would make your enemy The Emperor. Or, Silent King of the Necron race. Either are... not a very good thing to have against yourself.

As for teacher, no one mentioned Van Hohenheim of FMA fame? Sure, beating Homonculus might be kind of hard, but in the end, he just wasn't that imaginative, and was quite easy to beat. The only problematic thing in this deal would be 'sacrifice' part to awaken true power, but SCIENCE! we have today might mitigate anything but blindness suffered by Mustang...

No silly. My enemy would be the Warp. Nothing says I have to defeat my enemy in a timely fashion. I can just wait awhile, slowly poking humanity onto the path that turns them into soulless robot people. And have my various historical alter egos remembered as heros. :smallamused:

Either that or I imprison the Emperor long before he gets super science and the capacity to actually oppose me.

As for the Silent king... Well he's a robot. Who already destroyed the command codes that allowed him to command the Necrons.

Mind control his troops. Arrest him.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-11-20, 06:51 PM
No question; Merlin.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-20, 07:13 PM
I'm leaning partway to the Lady of Pain (so I could make the world my LEGO box), but then another part of me leans towards Phineas and Ferb (so I could make the world my LEGO box), but I don't think the latter choice is technically legal. :smallconfused:

Dragonfire
2011-11-21, 12:33 AM
.... Harry Dresden/

Trixie
2011-11-24, 05:48 AM
Either that or I imprison the Emperor long before he gets super science and the capacity to actually oppose me.

Um... Isn't being the God of the setting pretty much enough capacity to defeat normal human even with Necron tech? :smallconfused:

As for the Silent king... Well he's a robot. Who already destroyed the command codes that allowed him to command the Necrons.

Correction: he destroyed codes that gave him their 100% obedience. They still follow him because he is their legal ruler, just not all of them. Plus, 'destroying the codes' part would make it a bit difficult to mind control his troops, no? :smalltongue:

And, technically, shard of Void Dragon does not posses full knowledge his whole self did, so you might end up with pretty useless parts of his knowledge...

Forum Explorer
2011-11-24, 07:54 AM
finally the Necrons beat the Ctan and though the Void Dragon is still intact (perhaps) it still lost so it clearly can't control the Necrons on a macro level.

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-25, 10:13 AM
No silly. My enemy would be the Warp. Nothing says I have to defeat my enemy in a timely fashion. I can just wait awhile, slowly poking humanity onto the path that turns them into soulless robot people. And have my various historical alter egos remembered as heros. :smallamused:

Problem is, you learn from your chosen mentor and then Poof! Your newly aquired nemesis simply turns up. No dodging or avoiding it. And I'm not sure the Warp counts as an enemy, on it's own. So if you nominated the Warp, you might just risk having all four Chaos Gods poof into your living room.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-11-25, 03:05 PM
No question; Merlin.

Actually, scratch this. I'd want my apprenticeship to be to Arngeir and Paarthunax. FUS...RO DAH! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Raziere
2011-11-25, 04:48 PM
I have a fourth choice for my mentor.

Ciaphas Cain. Hero of the Imperium.

Mewtarthio
2011-11-25, 06:55 PM
.... Harry Dresden/

He's got a great track record, to be sure, but his enemies include just about every supernatural heavy hitter in the cosmos that is not a direct ally of Dresden.

druid91
2011-11-25, 07:05 PM
Um... Isn't being the God of the setting pretty much enough capacity to defeat normal human even with Necron tech? :smallconfused:

Correction: he destroyed codes that gave him their 100% obedience. They still follow him because he is their legal ruler, just not all of them. Plus, 'destroying the codes' part would make it a bit difficult to mind control his troops, no? :smalltongue:

And, technically, shard of Void Dragon does not posses full knowledge his whole self did, so you might end up with pretty useless parts of his knowledge...

I simply said the Void Dragon of Mars. Not "Shard of the Void Dragon of Mars" So all it's knowledge.

Also the OP presented it as I would get everything. I wouldn't be a human with Necron tech, I'd be a human turned C'tan with Necron tech.

finally the Necrons beat the Ctan and though the Void Dragon is still intact (perhaps) it still lost so it clearly can't control the Necrons on a macro level.

Except The Void Dragon was busy getting it's head handed to it by the Emprah about then... IIRC

Problem is, you learn from your chosen mentor and then Poof! Your newly aquired nemesis simply turns up. No dodging or avoiding it. And I'm not sure the Warp counts as an enemy, on it's own. So if you nominated the Warp, you might just risk having all four Chaos Gods poof into your living room.

Sounds like an interesting day.

Forum Explorer
2011-11-25, 07:59 PM
I simply said the Void Dragon of Mars. Not "Shard of the Void Dragon of Mars" So all it's knowledge.

Also the OP presented it as I would get everything. I wouldn't be a human with Necron tech, I'd be a human turned C'tan with Necron tech.

Except The Void Dragon was busy getting it's head handed to it by the Emprah about then... IIRC

No it wasn't. The entire rise and fall of the Necrons should be before humanity even existed if I remember my timeline correct.

Another good mentor would be Raken (The most Broken Character) or Fate from Negi Magi that manga series. Fate excepically since you would likely end up fighting either a clone of himself who wouldn't kill you even if it beat you because I am a true human or Negi who hasn't killed anybody.

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-25, 08:29 PM

Afraid not.

After the teacher has taught you all that he or she knows, they disappear and their enemy appears for you to deal with.

Specifically your mentor will teach you everything they know. No more, no less.

Lord Raziere
2011-11-25, 08:58 PM

Thanks for that clarification.

Now I wish my mentor is Discord.

Now all I have to do is defeat six ponies, using my reality warping powers before they use theirs first. magical reality-warper cowboy shootout. I win. :smallcool:

Science Officer
2011-11-25, 09:28 PM
Nyarlathotep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dj-6BmzYQ)
In my dreams I saw its face, though it had no features.
When I awoke, I heard its voice, though it spoke no words.
And when I came asleep again I wandered its path, though it had no object.
And in my dreamy visions I saw myself, as if from a distance, as I walked and wandered aimlessly through decaying swamps, heat-blasted deserts, sun-forgotten depths. Finally, through obscure angles and paths in space and time did I see myself finally stand in the cold spaces between the stars. I approached an altar, and opened the book that was set upon it. I couldn't discern the letters, but I knew my name was written in its pages. Beside it did I make a mark in blood. So began my apprenticeship to that inscrutable and eldritch One that men once called Nyarlathotep.
It has been said that it possesses a thousand different forms. Upon Earth it was known as a pharaoh and as a scientist. I learned much of science, and things known to pharaohs. Whether waking or in a dream, away in the void or again on Earth, I remember not where I was. But in this dark tutelage I was lead to strange actions, certain experiments with electricity and glass instruments of unique construction. Properties of mathematics and geometry with singular applications.
I don't know why these secrets were revealed to me. I don't know who my enemy is, it could be all of humanity and it still wouldn't matter.
Why did I trace that dark path?
Why did I open that nameless book?
Why do things happen as they do in dreams?

Don't know where that came from, (actually I do, imagery stolen from 'The Ancestor' and 'Dreams in the Witch-House', final line stolen from Diablo II of all places, but that's really one of my favourite lines from anything, ever, really) but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Trixie
2011-11-28, 07:54 AM
Ciaphas Cain. Hero of the Imperium.

Who would be his enemy, though? :smallconfused:

Most potential picks are long dead :P

That assumes Void Dragon can actually turn you into C'tan. And even if he can, congratulations, you're newly born energy being with no experience of using your powers. At all. Your enemy is now the whole race of the most advanced beings in the Galaxy, who killed thousands like you before. Good luck.

Nyarlathotep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dj-6BmzYQ)

Won't it make you go mad in nanosecond? :smallconfused:

No it wasn't. The entire rise and fall of the Necrons should be before humanity even existed if I remember my timeline correct.

Seeing a small offshot of War in Heaven killed the dinosaurs in its ending stages, yeah, it's a safe bet :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2011-11-28, 09:41 AM
Who would be his enemy, though? :smallconfused:

Most potential picks are long dead :P

That works out fine. I win. :smallcool:

The Reverend
2011-11-29, 11:13 AM
Granny Weatherwax

I can think of no greater teacher.

The-Mage-King
2011-11-29, 12:40 PM
Hm... Tough one.

Villains: Chaos (FF), Kemmler (Dresden Files)

Heroes: Minato Namikaze (Naruto), Nanoha Takamichi.

Sorta-inbetween: Jack Rakan (Negima), Darth Revan (...Do I have to spell it out for you?).

Reasoning for -

Chaos: God of Discord. How the hell could being trained by him do anything BUT make you more powerful? He also was a knight, so he knows how to wield a sword properly.

Kemmler: The man was killed 9 times. An ability that would be quite useful to have, if I wind up being an evil wizard.

Minato Namikaze: Flying Thunder God technique. AND sealing mastery.

Nanoha: ...LAZORS. All of them.

Jack Rakan: ...It's JACK RAKAN. "That guy you can stab with swords all day and it doesn't do anything, dammit". Insanely overpowered, and could probably turn me into a combat monster.

Darth Revan: ...Darth. REVAN. 'nough said.

Sewercop
2011-11-29, 01:53 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Forum Explorer
2011-11-29, 02:40 PM
{{scrubbed}}

to quote someone: "Free will's a *****"

Trixie
2011-11-29, 06:25 PM
Chaos: God of Discord. How the hell could being trained by him do anything BUT make you more powerful?

Rrreally, how chaotic, whimsical being affecting your training can not end well? :smalltongue:

Kemmler: The man was killed 9 times. An ability that would be quite useful to have, if I wind up being an evil wizard.

Same problem as above - both face protagonists. What you have is essentially an ability to be tortured with death 9 times...

Minato Namikaze: Flying Thunder God technique. AND sealing mastery.

He died due to big bad's actions. Any mentor who died from the hand of the enemy you will now face, no matter how cool, ranks pretty low on the list.

Jack Rakan: ...It's JACK RAKAN. "That guy you can stab with swords all day and it doesn't do anything, dammit". Insanely overpowered, and could probably turn me into a combat monster.

That didn't help against Fate, did it? :smalltongue:

Darth Revan: ...Darth. REVAN. 'nough said.

So, you now face Revan in combat. 'nough said :smallwink:

Forum Explorer
2011-11-29, 07:14 PM
That didn't help against Fate, did it? :smalltongue:

I don't know he did manage to come back anyways.

Forrestfire
2011-11-29, 10:44 PM
All the good ones are already taken... :smallfrown:

Well, whatever.

Hero: Jack Rakan, Princess Celestia, the Doctor, or Baron Wulfenbach (assuming I get to be a spark). EDIT: Or Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

Sorta-in-between: Q or Evangeline A.K. Mcdowell

better than the Anti-Spiral being my mentor. then I'd have to fight Kamina :smalleek:

Can I sig this? :smallbiggrin:

Science Officer
2011-11-29, 10:57 PM
Won't it make you go mad in nanosecond? :smallconfused:

Actually, Nyarlathotep is perhaps unique among Lovecraftian entities for being able to take on avatars that are something like a human. In the short story Nyarlathotep, it is shown to travel across the country, giving scientific lectures and demonstrations that are at once intriguing and disconcerting.
It is only somewhat after these demonstrations that men lose control of their minds.

In The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kaddath, Randolph Carter has a courteous, if stressful, conversation with Nyarlathotep, who appears in the form of a pharaoh. Though its words almost cause Carter's downfall, the Crawling Chaos, the Will and Soul of the Outer Gods, is able to interact with a human when it chooses.

I've been seeing things. Things I never would have dreamed, never would have believed. Other worlds, other stars, other galaxies...
The light seems dark, the darkness seems light! What am I afraid of? Could it be the avatar of Nyarlathotep that I see before me?
Who, legends say, in his ancient and opaque hatred, even took the form of a man?
/not original

irenicObserver
2011-11-29, 11:17 PM

God, Jesus, Wanda Maximoff, Firestorm, Captain Atom, The Spectre, Franklin Richards, Anthony Fremont, Doc Scratch, Lord English, Bowser, Dimentio, Merlon, Gandalf, that one guy from the fairy tale who was a thief's apprentice and could steal flawlessly, Father (FMA), Truth, and many more.

anyone got a d17+n I could borrow? How many die would I have to roll to narrow it down?

Lord Raziere
2011-11-29, 11:48 PM
All the good ones are already taken... :smallfrown:

Well, whatever.

Hero: Jack Rakan, Princess Celestia, the Doctor, or Baron Wulfenbach (assuming I get to be a spark). EDIT: Or Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

Sorta-in-between: Q or Evangeline A.K. Mcdowell

Can I sig this? :smallbiggrin:

sure, go ahead.

Adumbration
2011-11-30, 09:31 AM
Granny Weatherwax

I can think of no greater teacher.

This. After defeating the nemesis (possibly the elf queen or a vampire), I can't think of many other things that would be more useful in REAL real life than being a male witch. Where other teachers might teach you the use of their skills, Granny will teach me the iron will and the morality.

... Oh, ok, maybe the witch skills will come in handy too. Studying to become a veterinary doctor, so I most certainly could use the Horseman's Word.

Trixie
2011-11-30, 10:28 AM
Actually, Nyarlathotep is perhaps unique among Lovecraftian entities for being able to take on avatars that are something like a human. In the short story Nyarlathotep, it is shown to travel across the country, giving scientific lectures and demonstrations that are at once intriguing and disconcerting.
It is only somewhat after these demonstrations that men lose control of their minds.

In The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kaddath, Randolph Carter has a courteous, if stressful, conversation with Nyarlathotep, who appears in the form of a pharaoh. Though its words almost cause Carter's downfall, the Crawling Chaos, the Will and Soul of the Outer Gods, is able to interact with a human when it chooses.

I've been seeing things. Things I never would have dreamed, never would have believed. Other worlds, other stars, other galaxies...
The light seems dark, the darkness seems light! What am I afraid of? Could it be the avatar of Nyarlathotep that I see before me?
Who, legends say, in his ancient and opaque hatred, even took the form of a man?
/not original

Personally, I took it as N. making them immediately insane, it just took a bit of time to fully manifest. After all, in other stories from the same Verse the madness doesn't take immediately either, we only notice something is very wrong at the end of the story, even when the narrator is the one going mad.

Speaking of teachers, I had some great idea, but I unfortunately forgot what it was... :/

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-30, 10:43 AM
So, you now face Revan in combat. 'nough said :smallwink:

No, no. You'd end up facing either Darth Malak, or some kind of shadowy super-empire/extra-galactic force (but have to fight that one off-camera. :smallwink: ).

KingofMadCows
2011-11-30, 10:47 AM
Ravel Puzzlewell or Ganthet

Forum Explorer
2011-11-30, 12:06 PM
Any Yugioh villain. Not so much for the abilities taught but so I can beat the crap out of any of the protagonists.

DiscipleofBob
2011-11-30, 12:56 PM
Any Yugioh villain. Not so much for the abilities taught but so I can beat the crap out of any of the protagonists.

I'm not sure an apprenticeship under Pegasus would be worth it. The things that must go on in his private time...

Kaiba on the other hand, could teach you all about corporate takeovers and how to screw the rules.

Seerow
2011-11-30, 01:44 PM
Hrm, I like Iroh as a character, but have no interest in firebending, so that one's out...

I'd probably go with Pug/Milamber from the Riftwar Saga, I'd choose Thomas instead but I don't think he can actually teach his abilities. Pug's magic on the otherhand is something he can and does teach. The ability to world hop and time travel alone makes it worth it.

..actually on second thought, I think I'll go with Nakor. Same general ability set, but a far more fun teacher.

Wookieetank
2011-12-01, 01:54 PM
MacGyver, I think that about covers it.

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-01, 02:22 PM
MacGyver, I think that about covers it.

MacGuyver: "All right, I want you to write a 50-page essay on thermodynamics."
Student: "But all I have is a paper clip, a stick of chewing gum, and this wad of belly button lint!"
MacGuyver: "You've got an hour. Better start."

Wookieetank
2011-12-01, 03:14 PM
MacGuyver: "All right, I want you to write a 50-page essay on thermodynamics."
Student: "But all I have is a paper clip, a stick of chewing gum, and this wad of belly button lint!"
MacGuyver: "You've got an hour. Better start."

That's enough to solve at least half of the world's problems, if not more! :smallwink:

Hbgplayer
2011-12-03, 02:42 AM
Mazer Rackham

Who would be his enemy?
Ender's Game/that series spoiler
The Buggers? Because Ender pretty much acomplished this thread's goals in that case... unless Ender is one of us! o.O

Luke Skywalker.... but I only have to fight one bad guy right, 'cause that guy just seems to be packing on the enemies as he ages! :smalleek:

Xondoure
2011-12-11, 12:39 AM
Toph. If only to fight the melon lord.