PDA

View Full Version : Lady Gaga Music Videos

Mewtarthio
2011-11-16, 10:59 PM
So... Does anyone know what's going on in them? :smallconfused: Like, anyone at all? Possibly including Lady Gaga herself?

Nix Nihila
2011-11-16, 11:13 PM
Sure. There's a lot more symbolism in them than most pop music videos, but I don't think they're by any means indecipherable.

Are there any in particular you're curious or confused about? I don't claim to know what Gaga or the directors she worked with were thinking, but perhaps I could offer an idea as to what they might be about.

Jerthanis
2011-11-17, 01:29 AM
Well, Paparazzi is pretty straightforward... in fact it's so straightforward I have to wonder if it's all a symbolic story about something else entirely.

The largest portion of them are about lack of control over one's own life (specifically sexual desires and relationships) and of death and dying.

You'd have to ask about specific videos for anything further... and also we have to acknowledge that a lot of what they could be about are reading too far into something that might have just been the director pointing the camera at something shiny to distract our lizard brains.

Serpentine
2011-11-17, 04:38 AM
<3 surrealism, symbolism and similar ^_^
Also, <3 all her outfits, although I'm not a big fan of the leotarded look. Wish she'd wear skirts or pants or something, instead of leotards.

Mewtarthio
2011-11-17, 10:27 AM
Are there any in particular you're curious or confused about? I don't claim to know what Gaga or the directors she worked with were thinking, but perhaps I could offer an idea as to what they might be about.

Most of her recent stuff, really. Up through around "Bad Romance," I can usually tell what's going on, but stuff like "Alejandro," "You and I," and "Born This Way" leave me utterly clueless.

I guess "You and I," if you have to pick one. The others I can sort of guess at (or at least work out a bit of symbolism). That one, I have no clue what I'm supposed to be watching.

Nix Nihila
2011-11-17, 11:38 AM
What I got out of the You and I music video was that it's largely about society or the music industry trying to shape and mold her into something she isn't.

In the beginning of the video, Gaga is walking along a road, with dirty, bloody feet, signifying the long and difficult journey she's made to get where she is.

Then she sees an ice cream truck with the words "follow the crowd" on it. Gaga sinks to her knees, and cringes away from the doll that the ice cream man offers to her, which probably represents childhood conformity (little girls are 'supposed' to play with dolls).

Then there's a sequence of mixed clips, including many of her with a mysterious man who marries her, and then appears to perform experiments on her. My guess is that the mystery man probably represents the music industry (as she later kisses and hugs him, and it's fairly clear that she's in love with him).

Then there's a segment of her and Jo Calderone (her drag king persona). She (dressed as a nymph) plays the piano while he sits on top, moving the the her music. I think it's important to note that he's the only person introduced so far that hasn't tried to change Gaga in some way.

Then the video flashes back to her and the mystery man, where he's performing more experiments on her. It also shows her mermaid persona, Yuyi, in a bath tub, a fairly obvious metaphor for restriction I think.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of symbolism, since I've only watched this video a few times, so I'd love to see what other people think.

I might post stuff about some of her other music videos later, if you're interested. I probably won't be able to go too far into Alejandro though, as it's heavily political and religious.

dehro
2011-11-17, 05:23 PM
I was going to reply the way mrs frozone replies to her husband in the incredibles... "why do you need to know?"..
then I was reminded of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7gwX7rjOw)