PDA

View Full Version : MY Evocation/Invocation school semi fix

Kenneth
2011-11-17, 05:26 PM
Hey all this is stemming from such fine threads as legomaster's thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222623) and you lost me's thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219744)

anyways its my attempt to correct some of the negatives in evocation ( and to a lesser degrees DD spells in general) as I feel that from AD&D to 3rd ed D&D, the amount of hit points and energy resistance that just about everything has, has increased exponentially. While damage output from Evocations has stayed very static ( and in the case of polar ray went from being a 6th level spell option to an 8th level spell and IMO is the biggest offender out of all evo spells).

anyways I am just going to be dealing with core spells right now, as well. the amount of splat material i would have to search through would probably overwhelm me.

anyways for me I went with the following in mind

Evo/Invo spells from levels 0 to 3 are good for what they do, as during that time there aren't a whole lot fo enemies with resistance and the HP scale hasn;t went all to high heaven as of yet.

so those I will leave along.. mostly. I noticed that magic missle max damage tops out at 25 while a fireball as soon as you get is has a max dmg of 30.. and that the max damage of fireball (60) is a bit over twice as much as magic missles max dmg. so I got to thinking.. hmm so that would mean, maybe... that a 5th level spell should do a bit above 60 damage as soon as you get it (i.e at 9th level) and deal around 120 dmg at its max, and so on and so forth
so I kept these above thouhts in my mind when going through all of this.

Zero Level
Dancing Lights: Creates torches or other lights.
Flare: Dazzles one creature (-1 on attack rolls).
Light: Object shines like a torch.
Ray of Frost: Ray deals 1d3 cold damage.

First level
Burning Hands: 1d4/level fire damage (max 5d4).
Flaming Sphere: Creates rolling ball of fire, 2d6 damage, lasts 1 round/level.
Floating Disk: Creates 3-ft.-diameter horizontal disk that holds 100 lb./level.
Magic Missile: 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
Shocking Grasp: Touch delivers 1d6/level electricity damage (max 5d6).

Second Level
Continual Flame: Makes a permanent, heatless torch.
Darkness: 20-ft. radius of supernatural shadow.
Gust of Wind: Blows away or knocks down smaller creatures.
Scorching Ray: Ranged touch attack deals 4d6 fire damage, +1 ray/four levels (max 3).
Shatter: Sonic vibration damages objects or crystalline creatures.
Web: Fills 20-ft.-radius spread with sticky spiderwebs.

Third Level
Daylight: 60-ft. radius of bright light.
Ice Storm: Hail deals 5d6 damage in cylinder 40 ft. across and making it 50% likely that a creature trying to move falls prone.
Fireball: 1d6 damage per level, 20-ft. radius.(max 10d6)
Lightning Bolt: Electricity deals 1d6/level damage.(max 10d6)
Stinking Cloud: Nauseating vapors, 1 round/level.
Tiny Hut: Creates shelter for ten creatures.
Wind Wall: Deflects arrows, smaller creatures, and gases

Fourth Level
Cone of Cold: 1d6+1/level cold damage. (Max 15d6+15)
Fire Shield: Creatures attacking you take fire damage; you’re protected from heat or cold.
Resilient Sphere: Force globe protects but traps one subject.
Shout: Deafens all within cone and deals 5d6 +1/level sonic damage.
Wall of Fire: Deals 2d4 fire damage out to 10 ft. and 1d4 out to 20 ft. Passing through wall deals 2d6 damage +1/level.
Wall of Ice: Ice plane creates wall with 15 hp +1/level, or hemisphere can trap creatures inside.

Fifth Level
Cloudkill: Kills 3 HD or less; 4-6 HD save or die, 6+ HD take Con damage.
Delayed Blast Fireball: 1d8/level fire damage; you can postpone blast for 5 rounds. (Max 15d8)
Interposing Hand: Hand provides cover against one opponent.
Sending: Delivers short message anywhere, instantly.
Wall of Force: Wall is immune to damage.
Wall of Stone: Creates a stone wall that can be shaped.

Sixth Level
Chain Lightning: 1d8+1/level damage; 1 secondary bolt/level each deals half damage. (max 20d8+20)
Contingency F: Sets trigger condition for another spell.
Forceful Hand: Hand pushes creatures away.
Freezing Sphere: Freezes water or deals 1d10/level cold damage (max 20d10). a failed save also slows for 1 round a level
Wall of Iron M: 30 hp/four levels; can topple onto foes.

Seventh Level
Forcecage M: Cube or cage of force imprisons all inside.
Grasping Hand: Hand provides cover, pushes, or grapples.
Limited Wish: Alters reality—within spell limits.
Mage’s Sword F: Floating magic blade strikes opponents dealing 6d6+3 force damage.
Prismatic Spray: Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
Power Word Blind: Blinds creature with 200 hp or less.

Eighth Level
Clenched Fist: Large hand provides cover, pushes, or attacks your foes.
Incendiary Cloud: Cloud deals 6d6 +1/level fire damage per round
Polar Ray: Ranged touch attack deals 1d10/level cold damage Plus deals 6 Dexterity damage. (Max 25D10)
Power Word Stun: Stuns creature with 150 hp or less.
Prismatic Wall: Wall’s colors have array of effects.
Shout, Greater: Devastating yell deals 1d10 sonic damage/level (max 25d10); stuns creatures, damages objects.
Sunburst: Blinds all within 10 ft., deals 1d8+1 damage/level (max 25d8+25). In addition those effected by sunburst have a -4 penalty to AC
Telekinetic Sphere: As resilient sphere, but you move sphere telekinetically.

Ninth Level
Astral Projection : Projects you and companions onto Astral Plane.
Crushing Hand: Large hand provides cover, pushes, or crushes your foes.
Meteor Swarm: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12068068&postcount=22)
Power Word Kill: Kills one creature with 100 hp or less.
Prismatic Sphere: As prismatic wall, but surrounds on all sides.
Wish: As limited wish, but with fewer limits.

anyways that for me is a quick and i guess dirty fix for evocation/invocation

jiriku
2011-11-17, 08:52 PM
I noticed that magic missle max damage tops out at 25 while a fireball as soon as you get is has a max dmg of 30.. and that the max damage of fireball (60) is a bit over twice as much as magic missles max dmg. so I got to thinking.. hmm so that would mean, maybe... that a 5th level spell should do a bit above 60 damage as soon as you get it (i.e at 9th level) and deal around 120 dmg at its max, and so on and so forth

That wouldn't carry on indefinitely, because hit points and resistances don't keep doubling every four levels. However, looking at your proposed changes, I think the numbers you've laid out look just fine. Myself, I'd use d8 instead of d6+1 and d10 rather than d8+1, just to cut down on the number of calculations required. I routinely play with people who aren't sure what their caster level is or falter when adding large numbers together too often, so I'm a big fan of K.I.S.S. when resolving spells.