PDA

View Full Version : Misfits: the new series..

dehro
2011-11-18, 07:46 AM
so I caught up with the fact it's started again, yesterday, and watched 3 back to back episodes (I'll have to try and find the intermission episode where they say goodbye to nathan)..

it's a british TV series, in case you didn't know
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misfits_(TV_series))
I must say I had a few good laughs, and I have appreciated some of the plot twists (powers-wise...a rocket scientist?..soooo hilarious)... and the fact that they've given more screentime to the guy with the switcheroo power.
I'm also positively impressed by the new member of the team...who is very much Nathan-like but somewhat less outrageous (or at least somewhat more believable... I always had the impression that however well played, robert sheehan was slightly odd in that role..like he was just trying to hard to outgross everybody, including the public at home...which is not something I get from watching the new guy).

plot nitpick/doubt:
does Simon really have to travel back in time to close the loop? what would happen if he didn't, now that one version of him has already died? I was under the impression that that what happens stays happened, when time travel is involved, unless you go back and change things... but why should he not just go forth from where he's now? something in this time-travel logic doesn't add up to me. say he missed his appointment with the time machine/power and didn't go back in time..would Alisha pop out of existance? I think not... according to the "what has happened stays happened" rule, Simon HAS saved her already (also, that girl could've chosen a better power :smallamused:)

Herpestidae
2011-11-18, 08:04 AM
does Simon really have to travel back in time to close the loop? what would happen if he didn't, now that one version of him has already died? I was under the impression that that what happens stays happened, when time travel is involved, unless you go back and change things... but why should he not just go forth from where he's now? something in this time-travel logic doesn't add up to me. say he missed his appointment with the time machine/power and didn't go back in time..would Alisha pop out of existance? I think not... according to the "what has happened stays happened" rule, Simon HAS saved her already (also, that girl could've chosen a better power :smallamused:)

In short... yes, she totally would. If someone went back in time to kill someone when they were a baby, the person would have died as a baby and thus not exist in the present. Likewise, if Simon doesn't go back in time, she'll have gotten shot, at worse, and then GTA guy would have gone back to find out who "the real undercover cop" was.

dehro
2011-11-18, 08:09 AM
In short... yes, she totally would. If someone went back in time to kill someone when they were a baby, the person would have died as a baby and thus not exist in the present. Likewise, if Simon doesn't go back in time, she'll have gotten shot, at worse, and then GTA guy would have gone back to find out who "the real undercover cop" was.

would it not create a different timeline instead?

Herpestidae
2011-11-18, 08:45 AM
would it not create a different timeline instead?

I guess... but you'll be a part of that new timeline. Like when Curtis did his thing to stop himself from getting arrested. He was transported into a timeline where only he and Nathan survived because he wasn't there to stop the others from dying. Likewise, if Simon doesn't go back and save Alisha, he'll be transported to a timeline where it didn't happen.

Senator Cybus
2011-11-18, 12:40 PM
I guess... but you'll be a part of that new timeline. Like when Curtis did his thing to stop himself from getting arrested. He was transported into a timeline where only he and Nathan survived because he wasn't there to stop the others from dying. Likewise, if Simon doesn't go back and save Alisha, he'll be transported to a timeline where it didn't happen.

Want to hear a crazy fan theory? Sure you do! Well...

Alisha's going to die, and relatively soon. Don't know how, but she will. So, future Simon will travel back to the past, just for a chance to see her again, and then complete the time loop by dying in her arms. They'll go round and round in time, together forever.

Time travel, Terminator bulls***, as Alisha might say. :smallsmile:

Complete speculation, but I think it makes sense.

IMO, the series so far isn't quite up to the standard of the last two. There hasn't really been many wow! moments yet. I'm not really interested in the sub-plot involving the mostly dull power broker, and I am missing Nathan. Save him, Barry! :smallsmile:

Though I am loving rocket scientist Kelly and I'm glad that we've finally had another good Curtis-centric episode. Also, I find Rudy's habit of urinating pretty much anywhere to be oddly endearing, though they do need to make him feel more like a member of the gang, rather than some guy who just happens to be there.

Herpestidae
2011-11-18, 01:08 PM
Alisha's going to die, and relatively soon. Don't know how, but she will. So, future Simon will travel back to the past, just for a chance to see her again, and then complete the time loop by dying in her arms. They'll go round and round in time, together forever.

Time travel, Terminator bulls***, as Alisha might say. :smallsmile:

Crazier fan theory:
Simon gets shapeshifter girl to go back in time and pretend to be him. it works because we were never told whether she turns back to her original self when she dies; Nathan just speculated on that.