PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Game of Thrones series.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-18, 10:32 PM
Recently I got the first four books in the Song of Fire and Ice series and I am about to finish the first one, now I have avoided the series as I like to know the source material before reading/watching/etc. adaptations.

So my questions is "Are the TV series good and do they differ a lot from the books?

Sanguine
2011-11-18, 10:42 PM
Now I've only seen the first episode of the show* and a couple of clips but I recognized lines being given word for word from the book.

My only real complaint is that they aged up all of the Stark Children, presumably the Baratheon Children as well, but I understand why they did that and so it is a fairly minor thing.

Oh and I don't like the casting for Jon Snow, but maybe once I see more of the show it'll grow on me.

*I've also only read the first two books. There are about a million holds on them at my library.

Dienekes
2011-11-18, 10:50 PM
I've read all the books and I've seen the show.

The books are better, but the show is very faithful and very well done. There are some added bits here and there usually to make inner characterization best portrayed in books onscreen. A lot of the subtlety is made a bit more blatant, and of course the children were aged up a tad.

Overall it is very enjoyable to watch. Production quality is outstanding, though some of the armor looks weird. That's about my only complaint.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-18, 11:25 PM
Then I guess I will start the tv series, seems I won't be disappointed.

Mewtarthio
2011-11-19, 12:48 AM
My only real complaint is that they aged up all of the Stark Children, presumably the Baratheon Children as well, but I understand why they did that and so it is a fairly minor thing.

Apparently, Martin himself has stated that, were he to start the entire series over from scratch, he'd do the same thing.

McStabbington
2011-11-19, 02:25 AM
Recently I got the first four books in the Song of Fire and Ice series and I am about to finish the first one, now I have avoided the series as I like to know the source material before reading/watching/etc. adaptations.

So my questions is "Are the TV series good and do they differ a lot from the books?

The differences are small, and they have followed the books quite closely, although there are a few differences here and there. Brynden Blackfish, for instance, does not appear to exist in the television show, and they introduced Tywin Lannister far sooner than they did in the book. That being said, I actually like the show more than the book, primarily because it gives a more rounded look at the non-viewpoint characters than the book does.

Kato
2011-11-20, 06:43 AM
I can agree on the show being a pretty good adaption of the show though yes, quite some things were changed and a few bits added (some I would not have added, and that's not including the Renly/Loras scene...)

I don't have an issue with most changes but the kid's age thing troubles me and some other minor cast things... like Tyrion and Arya's "unattractive" actors. The hell, ABC, get some unattractive people to play unattractive characters. Or Jon and Robb looking way too much alike (and the age thing)
Drogo's pretty awesome, though. Others as well, of course.

Rhydeble
2011-11-20, 02:19 PM
I can agree on the show being a pretty good adaption of the show though yes, quite some things were changed and a few bits added (some I would not have added, and that's not including the Renly/Loras scene...)

I don't have an issue with most changes but the kid's age thing troubles me and some other minor cast things... like Tyrion and Arya's "unattractive" actors. The hell, ABC, get some unattractive people to play unattractive characters. Or Jon and Robb looking way too much alike (and the age thing)
Drogo's pretty awesome, though. Others as well, of course.

Actually Arya's problem is that she is supposed to be a boyish girl that grows up to be beautiful, but you just can't cast that easily

Weezer
2011-11-20, 02:37 PM
I have to agree with the other posters, the series is extremely close to the book with no major problems present at all. Some minor problems in casting choices and a couple unnecessary additions. Also some characters aren't mentioned that later get important, so we'll see how they handle that later.
One warning, there is a lot of very explicit sex (even more than is in the books). For some reason the director decided to make brothels into exposition land. Kind of irritating but not a major problem.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-11-20, 03:00 PM
Actually Arya's problem is that she is supposed to be a boyish girl that grows up to be beautiful, but you just can't cast that easily

You mean a boyish girl that grows up to be a Facless Woman right?

Rhydeble
2011-11-20, 05:51 PM
You mean a boyish girl that grows up to be a REDACTED right?

I remember some people early on commenting that she would probably grow up much like her aunt who she resembles as a child (eddard's sis)