PDA

View Full Version : A conversation I'd like to hear.

Das Platyvark
2011-11-19, 08:29 PM
I've been getting my sci-fi fix recently, and a question has sprung into my head:
What would happen in a non-violent meeting between Leto Atreides II (once he's been emperor for a while) and The Doctor?

Dienekes
2011-11-19, 10:11 PM
The Doctor would have a detailed discussion with Leto making a passionate speech about free choice and how his actions are driving the human along a path they should not be going through. Leto would respond in an almost bored manner about the necessity of his actions.

The Doctor would make some veiled threats and then leave to take a hand with leading Duncan Idaho's decision to assassinate Leto all the while saying how such assassinations are bad. Once the Emperor is killed he will storm off angry at Idaho and how he handled things.

Hopeless
2011-11-20, 05:11 AM
I've been getting my sci-fi fix recently, and a question has sprung into my head:
What would happen in a non-violent meeting between Leto Atreides II (once he's been emperor for a while) and The Doctor?

Well initially Leto wouldn't bother listening but then the doctor travels back in time and begins to REALLY annoy him which in the meantime Leto starts to remember and THEN he gets VERY scared!

In case you're wondering the Doctor brings River Song along for a few tea parties and to give Leto some very bad nightmares!

Brother Oni
2011-11-21, 08:33 AM
Depends on the Doctor. While ostensibly the same person, they all have very different personalities - I believe Ten would give a single warning, while Seven wouldn't bother and just take out Leto.

Nine would probably threaten Leto, but bottle it at the last minute. Most of the others would try and seek a peaceful resolution and debate the point as Dienekes said.
Whether the Doctor would subsequently use the Duncan Idaho ghola as a catspaw, would again depend on which one, as some are more idealistic than others (Five) while others aren't as hypocritical about arranging assassinations (Three, maybe Six).

I haven't watched any with One or Two, and not enough of Eleven to get a judge of his character.

Aotrs Commander
2011-11-24, 05:48 AM
I haven't watched any with One or Two, and not enough of Eleven to get a judge of his character.

Eleven has the ruthless streak too.

Brother Oni
2011-11-28, 12:29 AM
Eleven has the ruthless streak too.

There's a difference between ruthlessness and vengeful. I haven't seen Eleven do anything yet on the scale that Ten did to the Family of Blood for example.

thorgrim29
2011-11-28, 12:59 AM
The way he handled the Silent? Maybe not as disproportionate to the necessity of the moment but still pretty bad

Brother Oni
2011-11-28, 02:29 PM
The way he handled the Silent? Maybe not as disproportionate to the necessity of the moment but still pretty bad

Possibly, but what he did to them was justifiable given their previous acts plus they could always escape from Earth (although in all likelihood, not many of them made it, judging from that episode where Eleven became a lodger for a while).

Compare to the Family of Blood where he essentially made them suffer for all eternity in a variety of inventive ways, to the Racnoss where he commits mass infanicide.

I concede that Eleven still has a certain ruthless streak, but I think he's lacking the vindictiveness of Ten or the survivor's guilt of Nine to make him take that little step extra.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-28, 04:54 PM
Please use the names of the actors, or else I won't understand who you're talking about. :smalltongue:

Mordar
2011-11-28, 05:16 PM

While we might both like to hear it, should we be in a place to do so I rather suspect that while we might understand the definitions of the words used, we would both fail to understand even 5% of the true meaning of what they were saying...and then we would probably have to be eliminated (or have the conversation stricken from our record) to avoid causing any problems. That is, of course, unless we are certainly so irrelevant as to our knowing the content of the conversation not factoring into any sort of cultural ripple 17 generations hence... :smallamused:

Aotrs Commander
2011-11-28, 06:22 PM
There's a difference between ruthlessness and vengeful. I haven't seen Eleven do anything yet on the scale that Ten did to the Family of Blood for example.

I'd have thought what he did to future Amy in Girl Who Waited would probably qualify as ruthless - but yes, I'd have to say he's not particularly vindictive.

Amy, on the other hand...!

Brother Oni
2011-11-28, 07:54 PM
Please use the names of the actors, or else I won't understand who you're talking about. :smalltongue:

Eleven = Matt Smith
Ten = David Tennant
Nine = Christopher Eccelston
Seven = Sylvester McCoy

Wikipedia has a good article with helpful pictures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_%28Doctor_Who%29).

I'd have thought what he did to future Amy in Girl Who Waited would probably qualify as ruthless - but yes, I'd have to say he's not particularly vindictive.

Amy, on the other hand...!

In the words of River Song - Spoilers! I've only watched half way through the 6th series (The Rebel Flesh) since I felt they got too scary for my children.

As for Amy being ruthless, she's Scottish. :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2011-11-28, 07:55 PM
While we might both like to hear it, should we be in a place to do so I rather suspect that while we might understand the definitions of the words used, we would both fail to understand even 5% of the true meaning of what they were saying...and then we would probably have to be eliminated (or have the conversation stricken from our record) to avoid causing any problems. That is, of course, unless we are certainly so irrelevant as to our knowing the content of the conversation not factoring into any sort of cultural ripple 17 generations hence... :smallamused:

That's what Babble Fish are for.:smallcool:

Kato
2011-11-29, 01:05 PM
Uhm... Leto would get pissed because the Doctor is talking back to him about his actions and then possibly try to remove him. The Doctor would be pissed as well for being mistreated and depending on his incarnation/mood just walk off or walk off and ruin the house Atreides if he thinks it's okay.