PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with DND 4e monsters.

Servbot
2011-11-20, 08:51 PM
Sooo I'm DMing for a bunch of friends who are all into optimising and stuff. I want to make something thematically appropriate while also challenging them.

The party is level 10 and consists of 5 people, a grappling fighter, a cunning rogue, laser cleric, an invoker and a lazylord. Party works well enough that I am having difficulty deciding whether something is "ridiculous" or appropriate, so I figure I'd get in here and ask for some advice on designing an appropriately challenging encounter for these guys.

The combat area is supposed to be a 15x15 square room for the sake of simplicity, with no special features. No terrain to be used to their advantage, no weaknesses to exploit there, nowhere to run. I've decided to go with a solo, backed by an elite skirmisher: part of me is going "but the exp budgetttt", but we level after the adventure is done and over with, not by experience.

So basically, I'd like some tips, advice and critique on these monsters, so that they are not overpowered/ridiculous while presenting a good challenge for an optimised level 10 party of 5. I don't think they'll enter the fight with all their healing surges and dailies, and there's supposed to be a minor encounter afterwards, which should be doable without dailies and one healing surge for everyone.

This is what I have so far:
http://i.imgur.com/w7r6F.png
Taken from the model of a displacer beast, this is supposed to serve the purpose of threatening the party not to go after the solo with all they've got, so she doesn't get hit with a zillion status effects right off the bat.

http://i.imgur.com/08wcU.png
The solo in question. Blade of Chill Winds is supposed to have a 2d8 on the damage die there, something went wrong there... and I realise the immediate reaction to being bloodied should grant the attack as an opportunity action or free action.

Thanks in advance!

Vrythas
2011-11-22, 08:13 AM
how soon do you need this help? i would be willing to give it. if i could. i have only DM'd one real session, and with level 1 players. so i am really intimidated by having to deal with any monster over level 4 :smalltongue:. however from what i've read in the DM guide, PHB, and other stuff, an elite monster is meant to be the equivalent to a mini-boss. and solos are bosses. so unless you have great confidence in your players abilities to survive two bosses in one encounter, then by all means go ahead. please note that i didn't really look at the stat blocks, because, to be honest, i wouldn't know how they would stand up against level 10 characters.

now, if you need REAL help sooner rather than later, try asking for help in the 4e forum.

now moderators, correct me if i'm wrong (i read the rules very recently and as far as i recall, this wasn't covered), but your question is still 4e, so you could technically put it up in the 4e forum. i recently tried to put up a thread here. it tanked. i put up a similar thread in the 4e forum, and it was successful.

now i'm not saying that the people in this section aren't helpful and all, because they are, and they have great ideas. but i guess more people check new threads in the 4e section...i dunno. good luck getting the help you need.

Vrythas.