PDA

View Full Version : I love obscure anime

Kjata
2011-11-21, 10:17 AM
So, I recently signed up for crunchyroll, and after flipping through it a bit I discovered some cool stuff.

I'd never even heard of No. 6 before, but I have to say it is worth watching. I'm a huge fan of stories set in lands ruled by oppresive governments, so an government being oppressive to create a utopia for the populace was an interesting spin.

(Note: heavy spoilers)
I also like it when the main character really has little effect on the plot. He discovers killer bees that lay eggs inside people, and wants to stop the eggs from hatching. He can't get supplies, and the eggs hatch and kill a bunch of people.

It also had an interesting take on a love triangle, one in which i'm not exactly happy with the outcome due to being a heterosexual male, yet it was like it became hardcore yaoi so I could deal with it.

Another one is the Mystical Archives of Dantalian. Some rich dude is early 19th century england inherits his grandfather's mansion upon his passing, and when he gets to the mansion there's this goth loli sitting in the house reading a book. She's kinda bitchy and hilarious. Unfortunately, it's very episodic so the pacing isn't great, but that's fine as it's more of a comedy with mystery and fantasy elements.

Ultimately, both are very short and unique, which makes for a nice change of pace from super epic, fairly formulaic stuff like Code Geass and Full Metal Alchemist. No.6 is less about the plot than the people and the environment, and MAoD is more about just being fun.

Terraoblivion
2011-11-21, 10:54 AM
So how obscure do you mean when you say obscure? I mean, obviously you don't mean successful shounen jump series or the most recent Gundam, but where does obscurity start for you? I mean given what little criteria you have described things like MariMite or Big O could be seen as obscure, which just seems off to me.

Also, is there any real reason to use the degree of recognition as the basis for like or dislike, as opposed to internal criteria such as genre, technical skill or similar?

Just so I know what it really is you mean.

Kjata
2011-11-21, 02:17 PM
Oh, there is no criteria. This wasn't a "I hate popular anime" thread (well, for the most part I do, but not because it's popular). My favorite series is Full metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I'd just never heard of either series before at all, and I liked em both a lot.

My criteria for liking a series is more along the lines of

No more than 25 episodes.
Not episodic in nature.
No vampires.
No ninjas.
No mechs.
Story over action.

These aren't hard rules (obviously, seeing as FMA breaks the first one), just guidelines.

But yeah, I'm so much of a hipster that I exclude series based on obscurity.

Yora
2011-11-21, 02:42 PM
My favorite would be Rune Solider. It seems to lack an active fandom, has only one season, and is over 10 years old. It was the show that sold me on anime and still one of my favorites.

Also Appleseed. Two movies that are both not that good, but very entertaining. Everyone has at least heard of Ghost in the Shell, because of the animes, but the Appleseed manga is even older and I doubt the name rings a bell with anyone.

Knaight
2011-11-21, 02:43 PM
Well then. Honey and Clover is quite good, and is essentially a hybridization of a slice of love anime, and a romance. However, every single one of the romances is one of unrequited love, and doomed to failure. I consider this a plus, but I love stories about downward spirals anyways.

Kjata
2011-11-21, 03:46 PM
My favorite would be Rune Solider. It seems to lack an active fandom, has only one season, and is over 10 years old. It was the show that sold me on anime and still one of my favorites.

Also Appleseed. Two movies that are both not that good, but very entertaining. Everyone has at least heard of Ghost in the Shell, because of the animes, but the Appleseed manga is even older and I doubt the name rings a bell with anyone.

I love Rune Soldier. I think, anyway. That's the one with the DnD style, with the 2 chicks and the stupid guy right? I don't remember much about it, except I remember it was pretty funny.

Appleseed... I've been meaning to watch that for like 4 years. Just never really got around to it.

Terraoblivion
2011-11-21, 04:11 PM
Are you sure you don't mean 26 episodes? That one extra episode seems like a worthy sacrifice to make in order to reach the standard length of a season and by extension a vastly increased number of different shows.

Kinda wonder what's wrong with vampires and ninjas specifically. I can see mecha as that is an established genre, but there are quite a few different ways to use vampires and ninjas and no real genre conventions about them.

In any case, lots of good shows fulfill your guidelines, some obscure, some not exactly that. Madoka fits perfectly with it and it's one of the biggest shows in years. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it. It's amazing.

jseah
2011-11-21, 05:16 PM
While I somewhat share your liking of obscure stuff, I do still like mainstream things. Just not shonen action.

Madoka Magica is one of my favourite shows and its freaking huge.

Obscure stuff on my favourites list:
Denno Coil
Wandering Son
Sketchbook
Usagi Drop

At least, obscure in my opinion, given how I have barely seen them mentioned at all.

Tengu_temp
2011-11-21, 05:25 PM
My favorite manga and anime range from mainstream giants such as Evangelion to little-known gems like Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. I don't think if obscurity or lack thereof is any indication of quality. And I don't mean indication of quality of a specific show, in a "mainstream anime tends to be pretty bad but this one is an exception to the rule" way for example. I mean that no matter the obscurity level, the expected quality level is pretty much the same.

Sylvre Phire
2011-11-21, 07:33 PM

Appleseed was my first exposure to anime on a rainy weekend during my freshman year in college. That and Black Magic M-66 and Akira.

Pax et bonum,

Dale

Dumbledore lives
2011-11-21, 07:40 PM
Something you may not of hear of is Paranoia Agent, a 13 episode anime dealing with a kid who roller-skates around beating people on the head with a baseball bat. It's a bit more complicated than that, and has some deeper themes and examinations on the human condition, and as a whole has some great smaller stories in it.

Probably not as obscure, but Angel Beats is another 13 episode one, dealing with a group of people in purgatory. It swings quickly between slapstick and tearjerker, but on a whole it works fairly well.

Morph Bark
2011-11-21, 07:59 PM
Dantalian no Shoka is pretty awesome. It took some getting into since I'm used to more action-y anime though. And while the mystery bits can be rather half-handed sometimes, the backstories in it all are slick.

Also, what do you think of anime that include mechs, but do not focus on them? I rather hated mecha anime, but when I watched Code Geass, I fell in love with it and afterwards really enjoyed Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It probably helped that I first watched Death Note, though.

There is also The Legend of the Legendary Heroes of Legend (I may have put one Legend too many in there). Have yet to finish it though. Some characters were grating since they seem out of place in the setting and would be more home in a modern-day Japanese setting, but otherwise it's really good fantasy material.

Brother Oni
2011-11-21, 08:02 PM
Something you may not of hear of is Paranoia Agent, a 13 episode anime dealing with a kid who roller-skates around beating people on the head with a baseball bat. It's a bit more complicated than that, and has some deeper themes and examinations on the human condition, and as a whole has some great smaller stories in it.

It's also a quite heavy criticism of Japanese culture, lifestyle and the anime industry.

Jungle wa itsumo Hale nochi Guu is a great comedy series, which revolves around a young boy, his single parent mother and the eldritch abomination who comes to stay with them, masquerading in the form of a small girl.

Jade Dragon
2011-11-21, 09:08 PM
Appleseed was my first exposure to anime on a rainy weekend during my freshman year in college. That and Black Magic M-66 and Akira.

Pax et bonum,

Dale

What, you mean you've never seen Yugioh or Pokemon?

Terraoblivion
2011-11-21, 09:49 PM
That's not too uncommon. Yugioh never aired here and Pokemon didn't until I was in my late teens, so not bumping into them was perfectly possible and did indeed happen. It might be similar for others.

Feytalist
2011-11-22, 02:57 AM
Well. Paranoia Agent isn't really obscure. It was very well received back when it first aired, and it's from one of anime's greats, Satoshi Kon. It's still an extremely good series.

Now, being the subversive little dink that I am, here's a series involving ninja and one involving vampires which I think haven't really gotten much exposure: Black Blood Brothers and Basilisk. Obscurity is obviously objective, but I haven't really heard much of these series over the years.

Basilisk is an anime (and manga) series following the plotline of the Kouga Ninja Scrolls. Quite violent, but the storyline is rather good.

Black Blood Brothers is actually not quite as good. Silly little vampire series. The storyline is actually rather similar to Trinity Blood, as far as I can remember.

Then there's a series I've mentioned before on a similar thread: Argento Soma. Very similar story to Neon Genesis Evangelion (almost exactly the same storyline, actually) but with less confusion and angst. Very under-recognised and quite good, actually. Worth a look.

When OP mentioned No. 6, I actually thought of Blue Submarine No. 6. One of the very first series to incorporate CGI. Very good storyline actually. Three episodes long. (Unless that is what OP was talking about, it's been awhile since I saw it so I don't really remember all the plot lines.)

Yora
2011-11-22, 08:21 AM

I did that! And I'm proud of it! :smallyuk:

Morph Bark
2011-11-22, 08:52 AM
I did that! And I'm proud of it! :smallyuk:

But what about Digimon? :smallwink:

Yora
2011-11-22, 09:03 AM
No. None of the shonen longrunners about stupid games. No Naruto either.

When I started watching Ghost in the Shell and Princess Mononoke, my brother wanted to make fun of me, because I had been very vocal about about kiddy animes that are on TV. But I still don't watch that, its still an awful concept.
Admited, I read the Bleach manga for the first story arc, but considering how bad it got, I never watched the anime. I watched some of the supposedly "greatest fight scenes", but they just bore me. It's just like the manga. 20 Minutes of standing around and saying "How could he survive that?!"

Mainstream shonen anime suck! :smallyuk:

Gurren Lagann doesn't count, since it's a parody.

Kato
2011-11-22, 11:54 AM

Gurren Lagann doesn't count, since it's a parody.

Dunno... I like OP and FT good enough... or FMA:... wherever Shonen starts for you.

big teej
2011-11-22, 12:00 PM
So how obscure do you mean when you say obscure? I mean, obviously you don't mean successful shounen jump series or the most recent Gundam, but where does obscurity start for you? I mean given what little criteria you have described things like MariMite or Big O could be seen as obscure, which just seems off to me.

Also, is there any real reason to use the degree of recognition as the basis for like or dislike, as opposed to internal criteria such as genre, technical skill or similar?

Just so I know what it really is you mean.

my stance is that "obscure" begins where "nobody I know has ever heard of it" begins.

so I'd like to add Betterman to the pot, hands down one of my favorites.

also.... what new gundam series?
tell me now! :smallbiggrin:

Kjata
2011-11-22, 12:07 PM
Are you sure you don't mean 26 episodes? That one extra episode seems like a worthy sacrifice to make in order to reach the standard length of a season and by extension a vastly increased number of different shows.

Kinda wonder what's wrong with vampires and ninjas specifically. I can see mecha as that is an established genre, but there are quite a few different ways to use vampires and ninjas and no real genre conventions about them.

In any case, lots of good shows fulfill your guidelines, some obscure, some not exactly that. Madoka fits perfectly with it and it's one of the biggest shows in years. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it. It's amazing.

Sure, 26 is fine. I wasn't sure what the actual season length was.

About vampires... I don't find vampires very interesting. I don't think fangs and bloodlust are very exciting. Same with ninjas. Mechs are my favorite of the three, but only because of season 1 of code geass.

I guess the thread title was misleading... Seriously, what I meant was, at the moment, I am enjoying anime that I have never heard of before, which leads me to believe it is obscure.

Anyway, who has seen Stein's;Gate?

Terraoblivion
2011-11-22, 12:23 PM
I have and it's quite awesome. Suzuha and Kurisu are so awesome, though I guess that's to be expected since they hit some of my favorite character types. Also, I dare everyone to not find Okabe proclaiming that he's a mad scientist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FN7nJ9WiT0) funny. Also, as a curiosity of the show, I look pretty much exactly like Moeka, just less depressed and not quite as...big.

Kato
2011-11-22, 01:30 PM
Steins;Gaste was made of awesome and win. Except for some bad science and maybe minor issues. But I actually liked it even more than PMMM what seemed to be everyone's favourite.

(Also, I thought No. 6 as poor and I almost regret wasting 6 hours of my life on it. No offense to anyone who liked it but... it was really... so mediocre it was bad)

Mr.Silver
2011-11-22, 05:05 PM
Escaflowne maybe isn't obscure as much as it is under-appreciated, probably because it was made the same time as Evangelion and consequently got eclipsed. It also didn't help that the English language dub was dreadful and the way the American networks butchered its run was somehow even worse (e.g. removing the entire first episode).
This is a real shame, as it is a very good fantasy adventure/drama series. Just remember it's pretty much exhibit A for the 'subs-first' camp for a reason - in case you're one of those incomprehensibly strange people who prefer to watch foreign language works dubbed :smalltongue: . Note, it does contain mechs but they're medieval/renaissance tech mechs.

On the more obscure front, I do have something of a soft spot for Beast Player Erin. It's by no means perfect (there are some instances of padding, as it probably didn't need to be 50 episodes long) but it has a genuinely impressive level of subtlety, depth and maturity about it. What's particularly noteworthy about this is that it's aimed to be at least watchable by children. It is not often I get to say that about things which didn't come out of Studio Ghibli - in fact the series does have a similar air about it to some of Miyazaki's works.
It's a fairly slow-paced fantasy drama following the title character from a child to a young woman and how over the years she becomes increasingly drawn into the conflicts (political and military) of the world around her. Fairly serious in tone and, as mentioned previously, has quite a lot of depth to it.

Mushi Uti is a series I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with. On the one hand the first episodes are very good (I still use its first episode as an example of how to do a first episode right), the premise works well and it's manages to create a central conflict where both sides are comprised of actual actual characters rather than the usual 'good guys vs bad guys'.
On the other hand, this series is also a really good example of failed potential. This problem seems tied to its length: it's only 12 episodes long. This means that after about 8 episodes, the pacing suddenly gets incredibly rushed, a lot of what appeared to be budding character arcs get cut short or abandoned altogether and the last few episodes are a blind rush towards the least conclusive ending this side of Bezerk. I'm still not sure about whether the earlier episodes make the series worth it or if they just make the end that much more disappointing.
The series itself is a kind of action-drama-romance set in Japan (what a surprise) where a number of psychic parasites of unknown, possibly extra-terrestrial, origin have begun to appear. These take the form of an insect after they've bound themselves to a host. For most of their life they follow their host's commands - frequently having a few unusual powers, often combat related (as most of them can grow pretty damn big) - until they reach maturity at which point they completely devour their host's hopes and dreams and transform into a huge twisted monster that starts attacking everything around it. The insect can be killed before then, but doing so leaves the host a barely sentient shell of a person. Consequently, most hosts in the series are either in their teens or early twenties. The existence of the hosts is something the government is trying to keep under wraps.
The series follows characters from two different factions, government agents who use their host powers to track down and deal with/ incarcerate new hosts as they emerge and an underground group of free hosts trying to thwart the former group's efforts. Problems emerge when one host, who's ridiculously powerful insect had been killed a few years ago, suddenly appears again complete with restored insect.

There's also Demonbane, which is can be evaluated a number of ways depending on whether or not the idea of the Cthulhu Mythos only with giant magically powered robots instead appeals to you or not. It's not a great series, but it's not a terrible one either.

Basilisk is an anime (and manga) series following the plotline of the Kouga Ninja Scrolls. Quite violent, but the storyline is rather good.
Yeah, also a good series and pretty far from the typical ninja show. One of the better series from Gonzo and probably their second darkest. The main force of the plot is that both halves of the cast are trying to kill each other, body count is high and happiness is scarce.

The darkest show Gonzo ever made is Blassreiter, by quite a wide margin. I'd still recommend it, but be advised that most of the cast will get put through hell and many of them are not going to get out of it. It's set in a near-future Germany where violent humanoid monsters have begun to appear, most of them apparently being humans who have become infected by some unknown source (possibly deliberately). It follows the members of a group dedicated to dealing with these outbreaks. Situation gets steadily worse as time goes on, and note that it starts off pretty bleak.

Sylvre Phire
2011-11-22, 07:58 PM

My freshman year of college was 1992. They hadn't come out yet, you young whippersnapper :smallwink:

I'm going back to my crazy grandpa rocking chair now... ***sknnxxxxx***snort*** :smallbiggrin:

Pax et bonum,

Dale

Yora
2011-11-22, 08:09 PM
Dunno... I like OP and FT good enough...
And I have no idea what you're talking about.

Over powered and Frozen Throne?

Cespenar
2011-11-23, 02:09 AM

I don't know. I used to think the same, but somehow I reached episode 200 of One Piece without getting bored. It's just the right amount of goofiness and it supplies me with some over-the-top ideas about fantasy worldbuilding.

I think it would be safer to say that mainstream shonen anime is overrated, instead of being outright composed of suck. Except for FMA, which is neither. :smallbiggrin:

Feytalist
2011-11-23, 03:27 AM
Escaflowne maybe isn't obscure as much as it is under-appreciated, probably because it was made the same time as Evangelion and consequently got eclipsed. It also didn't help that the English language dub was dreadful and the way the American networks butchered its run was somehow even worse (e.g. removing the entire first episode).
This is a real shame, as it is a very good fantasy adventure/drama series. Just remember it's pretty much exhibit A for the 'subs-first' camp for a reason - in case you're one of those incomprehensibly strange people who prefer to watch foreign language works dubbed :smalltongue: . Note, it does contain mechs but they're medieval/renaissance tech mechs.

I'm with you on Escaflowne. It's known by name at least, but I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who actually watched it. And yes, the dub is really bad. Although it's got the distinction of probably the most irritating main character ever. The rest of the cast more than make up for it, though. And it stars an actual catgirl :smallbiggrin: Also has a tie-in movie, which I enjoyed, at least.

Knaight
2011-11-23, 06:35 AM
I think it would be safer to say that mainstream shonen anime is overrated, instead of being outright composed of suck. Except for FMA, which is neither. :smallbiggrin:

FMA, Death Note, Code Geass, all of these are well known, fairly big names, and quite good. Granted, they are in the minority of mainstream shonen, much of which is stuff like Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Naturo, or Inu Yasha, but that is just Sturgeon's law popping up as it always does.

Tengu_temp
2011-11-23, 07:29 AM
Mainstream shonen I find good:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Neon Genesis Evangelion
most Gundams
Mahou Sensei Negima (manga)
One Piece (not a watcher/reader but the snippets I've seen and second-hand impressions were very good)
first ~50 episodes of Naruto
first ~13 episodes of Bleach

So yeah, no matter the level of obscurity, you can still find more or less a similar amount of good works. And we're talking super-mainstream here: Gurren Lagann is too obscure to count, for example.

Doc Roc
2011-11-23, 07:35 AM
I can't believe no one's mentioned the excellent Spice and Wolf! It's about harvest deities, complex romances, and the intricacies of commerce. That's about as far from NINNNJAAAAS as you're going to get, I think.

Also excellent is the deeply bizarre Daughter of 20 Faces, which may be very hard to find. Nevertheless, it was quirky and rewarding.

Tengu_temp
2011-11-23, 07:45 AM
Personally I don't consider stuff like Spice and Wolf or Big O obscure. Most people who are more interested in anime have at least heard about them. Haibane Renmei or Twelve Kingdoms, now that is obscure.

Doc Roc
2011-11-23, 07:49 AM
Personally I don't consider stuff like Spice and Wolf or Big O obscure. Most people who are more interested in anime have at least heard about them. Haibane Renmei or Twelve Kingdoms, now that is obscure.

I didn't really consider Spice and Wolf obscure until I started trying to talk to my friends about it. I think that despite appearances, meaningful diffusion of information just isn't as pervasive as we think.

Terraoblivion
2011-11-23, 08:41 AM
I have to agree that excellent as it is, Spice and Wolf isn't quite that obscure. It's not super well known, but it's not really obscure either, it even has an official American release of both the light novels and the anime and is one of those shows that comes up fairly frequently in discussions.

Actually, I can't think of any anime that I know that's really all that obscure. Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars is probably the greatest I know and I still wouldn't quite consider them obscure. Maybe the Sasameki Koto anime, but it seems less obscure than the manga. I dunno, I might just have a distorted perception.

Kato
2011-11-23, 09:42 AM
And I have no idea what you're talking about.

Over powered and Frozen Throne?

Sorry, One Piece and Fairy Tail :smalltongue:

Mr.Silver
2011-11-23, 10:11 AM
I'm with you on Escaflowne. It's known by name at least, but I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who actually watched it. And yes, the dub is really bad. Although it's got the distinction of probably the most irritating main character ever.
I think Merle's more of a supporting character than a main. And believe me, there are a hell of a lot more annoying characters out there. Like most of the supporting cast of Glass Maiden. Or Skuld from Oh My Goddess.

Prime32
2011-11-23, 12:29 PM
FMA, Death Note, Code Geass, all of these are well known, fairly big names, and quite good. Granted, they are in the minority of mainstream shonen, much of which is stuff like Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Naturo, or Inu Yasha, but that is just Sturgeon's law popping up as it always does.Worth noting: DBZ, Bleach, Naruto and Death Note were in the same magazine. When most people say "mainstream" they seem to mean "Shonen Jump" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShonenJump).

jseah
2011-11-23, 05:16 PM
Spice and Wolf was awesome. I don't know if futures trading and bubble markets is anachronistic for their time but I also don't care.

Bubbles are probably normal though. There was the famous tulips after all.

Jade Dragon
2011-11-23, 09:16 PM
I don't know. I used to think the same, but somehow I reached episode 200 of One Piece without getting bored. It's just the right amount of goofiness and it supplies me with some over-the-top ideas about fantasy worldbuilding.

I've read the manga. You know what they say, the book's always better. :smallcool:

One Piece (not a watcher/reader but the snippets I've seen and second-hand impressions were very good)

I heard in the One Piece thread that I'm not allowed to link the site (I don't know why, but most likely copyright), but just google "read manga online for free". The one I use is the third result (well, currently it's the third result).

Knaight
2011-11-23, 10:06 PM
Worth noting: DBZ, Bleach, Naruto and Death Note were in the same magazine. When most people say "mainstream" they seem to mean "Shonen Jump" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShonenJump).

Shonen Jump is the largest shonen magazine by a pretty decent margin. It basically is mainstream shonen, all on its own.

Eldan
2011-11-24, 03:47 AM
That's not too uncommon. Yugioh never aired here and Pokemon didn't until I was in my late teens, so not bumping into them was perfectly possible and did indeed happen. It might be similar for others.

Yeah, same-ish here. When I was around 15 or so, there was Pokémon, Digimon and, I think, Dragonball on in the early afternoon, but I was always at school at the time, and never really interested.

My anime exposure really only came in High School, when I was about 16 or so, via series imported by our Philippino exchange student.

So, I've probably seen more obscure series than well-known ones.

Yora
2011-11-24, 11:19 AM
That stuff became big here when I was just old enough to sneer at it as stupid japanese kiddy stuff.

Shonen Jump is also the most bought magazine by girls age 10 and up.
(Just finished my Manga BA-Thesis, yay!)

Tengu_temp
2011-11-24, 07:34 PM
I heard in the One Piece thread that I'm not allowed to link the site (I don't know why, but most likely copyright), but just google "read manga online for free". The one I use is the third result (well, currently it's the third result).

Oh, I know that pretty well. I'm not reading it because I don't have the free time, or the determination, to jump into a 500+ chapters long manga.

Cespenar
2011-11-25, 01:47 AM
I've read the manga. You know what they say, the book's always better. :smallcool:

You know what they also say, to each its own.

Feytalist
2011-11-25, 03:03 AM
I would say that the original, whatever format it came in, is usually better. For instance, I wouldn't say that the FLCL manga is necessarily better than the anime.

I admit that I watched Pokemon pretty regularly, at least until someone stuffed Ninja Scroll into my hands. And then Trigun. And then Noir. And then I never looked back, really.

Eldan
2011-11-25, 03:27 AM
There are some exceptions. There are, as an example, some that just look really good animated. And a few of the more action heavy ones where the action scenes are just better animated.

Cespenar
2011-11-25, 03:34 AM
And a few of the more action heavy ones where the action scenes are just better animated.

Also this. I'm a big fight choreography fan, besides stuff.

Clertar
2011-11-25, 07:35 AM
Personally, after reading the type of anime that you enjoy, I'd strongly recommend Yawara!, even though it's longer than you indicate in you preferences (it has 124 episodes).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wZoHbsGuL6A/THvRXml-TRI/AAAAAAAACJo/3YnENICklRY/s320/yawara.png

Just to give you an idea, it's a seinen (so it's not "girl anime") about a young girl that's very talented for judo but isn't interested in competing professionally. The story is interesting, but it's mostly a character-driven argument, characters are all really well written and not black-or-white at all.

Just give it a try. You can start watching it halfway through, I don't think it would be any less interesting, and by what the characters say you can get an idea about what happened previously. If you want to do that, I'd reccomend starting around [Google research...] chapter 60.

Yora
2011-11-25, 07:47 AM
I like fight scenes only when they actualy contribute to the story and the characters. If you can sum it up as "two enter, one leaves", I get easily bored.

Luke against Vader: Great fight scene. Thousands of soldiers hacking at each other in Lord of the Rings: Boring.

Though I admit I love the combat scenes in Appleseed, partly it's because that's all the movies have. But it's so over the top, that it gets entertaining again.

Feytalist
2011-11-25, 08:09 AM
Though I admit I love the combat scenes in Appleseed, partly it's because that's all the movies have. But it's so over the top, that it gets entertaining again.

Yeah, that's what I said for Advent Children. No-one seems to agree with me. :C

Eldan
2011-11-25, 09:51 AM
I have a certain love for nicely choreographed and shot fight scenes in all media.

Or rather, I love generally aesthetically beautiful scenes, which also applies to fight scenes. Which is also why I love a certain category of Chinese martial arts movies (i.e. Hero, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers and so on). But the movements, styles, stances, flow and speed of a good fight scene are just very pleasing.

Knaight
2011-11-25, 10:45 AM
So. Anyone have any recommendations for josei other than Honey and Clover? Ideally obscure stuff.

Tengu_temp
2011-11-25, 01:41 PM
So. Anyone have any recommendations for josei other than Honey and Clover? Ideally obscure stuff.

Some people say Eden of the East is josei - it even shares the same artstyle as Honey and Clover. It's a great show that combines suspense, comedy and interpersonal drama/romance in just the right quantities. Starts kinda like an anime version of Bourne's Identity, but it becomes its own thing after a few episodes.

Yora
2011-11-25, 07:58 PM
Yeah, that's what I said for Advent Children. No-one seems to agree with me. :C
Slicing buildings with a sword? Awsome! :smallbiggrin:

If you like that, you should watch this. The guy who did DeadFantasy and Haloroid did some action scenes for Red vs. Blue.

Swish!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke9wtbzGjCI)

Also if you get a laugh of out of a kick in the balls. Or eight. :smallbiggrin:

"Protect me, cone!"

Closet_Skeleton
2011-11-26, 09:27 AM

Haibane Renmei is obscure? I'll give you 12 kingdoms but...

Or maybe "old" and "obscure" can be the same thing.

Last Josei anime I remember watching was Kuregehime, which is quite good but I never finished it. I also thought Nana(which is apparently actually just late shoujo according to TVtropes) was alright. No idea if that's obscure. If you want Josei you pretty much need to read manga. Paradise Kiss is another Josei anime I never watched but my parents liked it.

Yora
2011-11-26, 09:51 AM
Haibane Renmei is obscure?

Given that I never once heard of it or the images I googled ring any bell, I would guess it's certainly not mainstream.

Knaight
2011-11-26, 10:23 AM
Coming back to the original question, there is one Seirei no Moribito. It is a fairly optimistic story and probably one that would be classified as Shonen, following a handful of stories that all center around a prince that is believed to be a harbinger of an apocalyptic drought. What makes it interesting is that it is based on a fantasy series written by an anthropologist, and as such has very believable cultures, as well as characters that feel grounded in these cultures and as such real.

Yora
2011-11-26, 02:14 PM
I really want to watch that, but I never found a full box set that specifically states to have japanese audio with english subs. The one or two I found on ebay were way too expensive.

Knaight
2011-11-27, 07:58 AM
I really want to watch that, but I never found a full box set that specifically states to have japanese audio with english subs. The one or two I found on ebay were way too expensive.

Ah. Ignoring the online option, you should see about renting it. Granted, my local video store probably has a larger anime collection than most, but renting the entire thing for watching only ran me about 5 dollars, which really isn't that bad.

Eldan
2011-11-27, 08:05 AM
You have Anime in video stores?

Wow. I once saw a Pokémon movie, but I think that was just coincidence.

Knaight
2011-11-27, 08:25 AM
You have Anime in video stores?

Wow. I once saw a Pokémon movie, but I think that was just coincidence.

We have a local rental place, which has an entire room dedicated to anime. I would estimate it at 12 square meters, given that the construction is basically a ring with both the inner and outer walls filled, it probably has about 17 linear meters of anime-wall, and given that it is filled from floor to ceiling, that works out to about 170 meters of anime. It also has a shelf for new releases, that adds about 1 meter of anime-wall and 6 meters of anime. Note that it is from spine to spine, which means rather a lot of DVDs.

It is a nice rental store, really.

Yora
2011-11-28, 12:20 PM
Speaking of Moribito: Can anyone recommend other jidaigeki anime? I've seen Princess Mononoke and have read InuYasha for the first 80 chapters. Any other less known once I should look into?

Knaight
2011-11-28, 02:47 PM
Speaking of Moribito: Can anyone recommend other jidaigeki anime? I've seen Princess Mononoke and have read InuYasha for the first 80 chapters. Any other less known once I should look into?

80 chapters of InuYasha? I'm sorry.

Yora
2011-11-29, 07:02 AM
I just watched the first episodes of Berserk yesterday. It hasn't been that horrifiying yet, but I think this is going in a direction I'm currently not in the mood to enjoy.
But it does look really well done with an impressive use of visuals and sound. I'll probably love it once I'm settled in again and this dark and wet season is over.

Feytalist
2011-11-29, 07:24 AM
The anime wasn't actually all that horrifying. It's the manga that is so bad. The anime is actually a relatively tame story. It's still quite good.

Yora
2011-11-29, 07:29 AM
But then I'll want to read on from where the anime stops, and I think that's something I put away for now and get back to at another time. :smallbiggrin: