PDA

View Full Version : List of incomplete anime

danzibr
2011-11-21, 09:31 PM
Well, that title might be a little misleading. The other day I was searching for a list of anime that don't have an ending ('cause I didn't want to get into one and get disappointed), and didn't find a good list... so hopefully with the help you all, we can make one.

Disclaimer: I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to anime or manga. I've just seen a bit.

Lastly, I won't be including anime that are ongoing, like Bleach and Naruto: Shippuuden.

Anime which straight up don't have an ending:
Berserk
Inuyasha (fixed with Inuyasha: The Final Act though)
Tenjou Tenge
Unfinished; Dragon Half. Only has three episodes.
Yami no Matsuei
Bus Gamer
Air Gear

Anime which have an ending but differs from the manga (either a different ending or ending it early):
Dragon Ball Kai
Full Metal Alchemist
Hellsing (Hellsing: Ultimate is fixing this, though)
Kenichi
Claymore
Trigun
Rozen Maiden
Bokurano
D.N.Angel
Nana
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Elfen Lied
D. Gray-Man
.hack//SIGN
Soul Eater
Trinity Blood

Anime which are done:
Akira
CHAOS;HEAD
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Dragonball Z
Fooly Cooly
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Fushigi Yuugi- The Mysteroius Play
Great Teacher Onizuka
Gungrave
Inuyasha: The Final Act
Kaze no stigma
Naruto
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Onegai Teacher/Please Teacher!
Onegai Twins/Please Twins!
Outlaw Star
Rurouni Kenshin
S-Cry-Ed
Tenchi Muyo
The Melanchony of Haruhi Suzumiya
Utawarerumono
Yu Yu Hakusho
Finished: Eureka 7. Fifty episodes of pure awsome.
Eyeshield 21
Paranoia Agent

Second disclaimer: This stuff is to the best of my knowledge. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Draconi Redfir
2011-11-21, 09:42 PM
Unfinished; Dragon Half. Only has three episodes.

Finished: Eureka 7. Fifty episodes of pure awsome.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-21, 09:45 PM
The Straw Hat crew all yell at you.

Luffy because he hasn't become pirate king.

Zoro because he hasn't become the best swordsman in the world.

Nami because she hasn't made an accurate map of the world.

Sanji because he hasn't discovered All Blue (although actually, I think he did say that some place in the most recent arc on fishman island was it).

Usopp because he hasn't gone back home to Kaya yet.

Robin because she hasn't figured out the true history.

Brook... doesn't.

Franky... might. I don't know how important it is to him to sail around the world in the Thousand Sunny.

Chopper because you made everyone else sad.

Also, I'm pretty sure Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece will come to an end.

danzibr
2011-11-21, 11:31 PM
The Straw Hat crew all yell at you.

Luffy because he hasn't become pirate king.

Zoro because he hasn't become the best swordsman in the world.

Nami because she hasn't made an accurate map of the world.

Sanji because he hasn't discovered All Blue (although actually, I think he did say that some place in the most recent arc on fishman island was it).

Usopp because he hasn't gone back home to Kaya yet.

Robin because she hasn't figured out the true history.

Brook... doesn't.

Franky... might. I don't know how important it is to him to sail around the world in the Thousand Sunny.

Chopper because you made everyone else sad.

Also, I'm pretty sure Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece will come to an end.
Is this a One Piece reference?

Topaz
2011-11-21, 11:42 PM
Anime which have an ending but differs from the manga (either a different ending or ending it early): Claymore

Coidzor
2011-11-22, 02:37 AM
If I recall correctly one of the Tenchis just died in the middle, though it may have been OAV-patched horribly or something.

Ring a bell with anyone?

Krazzman
2011-11-22, 02:41 AM
Anime which have an ending but differs from the manga (either a different ending or ending it early):
Berserk

Yes this one should be here not in unfinished.

Finished:
Cowboy Bebop, pure awesome (even the ending).

Feytalist
2011-11-22, 03:37 AM
By the way, Trigun the anime finished a billion (okay, ten) years before Trigun the manga. It doesn't have remotely the same ending.

danzibr
2011-11-22, 07:58 AM
Berserk

Yes this one should be here not in unfinished.

Finished:
Cowboy Bebop, pure awesome (even the ending).
Cowboy Bebop is in finished, and Berserk is totally unfinished. Unless you've seen extra footage I haven't.

Anime which have an ending but differs from the manga (either a different ending or ending it early): Claymore
Added!

If I recall correctly one of the Tenchis just died in the middle, though it may have been OAV-patched horribly or something.

Ring a bell with anyone?
Yeah... I knew there were multiple, but it's been so long that I can't remember which I've seen.

By the way, Trigun the anime finished a billion (okay, ten) years before Trigun the manga. It doesn't have remotely the same ending.
Good to know. Will add!

Krazzman
2011-11-22, 09:37 AM
Berserk the Manga is still "running".

The Anime only dealt with the past of Guts. The demonic sacrifice pit is the ending of the Anime. The Manga stopped being worked on with the "We're on a Boat!"-Arc. (At least that's the latest chapter I found so far.)

Important part bolded.

Other point:
Do you leave all still running Animes out? Like Fairy Tail or Beelzebub?

For Sport enthusiasts Eyeshield 21 (finished I think) would be a good anime (for me sadly it's not).

danzibr
2011-11-22, 10:01 AM
By ending it early I meant like... if you just watch the anime it has an ending you can be happy with. Like Dragonball Kai. It ends without going into the Buu saga.

However, Berserk totally doesn't have an ending. It just... stops. If you wish I can go back and change my wording.

Also, I'll add Eyeshield 21.

Psyren
2011-11-22, 10:22 AM
No mention of Elfen Lied? Playground I am disappoint.

Also Yami no Matsuei and D. Gray-Man

(EL and DGM can go under "has an ending but not complete." YnM is simply "not complete", IIRC.)

Yora
2011-11-22, 10:33 AM
Compiling such a list could get you a really, really, long list.

Mistral
2011-11-22, 10:38 AM
D.N.Angel and Nana, both manga and anime alike. The latter manga is because Ai Yazawa became extremely ill for almost a year, and didn't resume after (presumably) recovering; the anime only covers the first half of the series, ending at a fairly decent stopping point. The former manga went on hiatus for three years for completely unspecified reasons, and the anime simply made its own ending.

I suppose technically, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind counts since we aren't only specifying TV series and OVAs, but the manga for that only existed in the first place to convince the studio that a movie could be made (that's how old it is; you still needed some work, whether manga, literature, or folk tales, to base an animated version on back then). The film loosely covers the first tankobon, while the manga went on for another six.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-22, 10:42 AM
Berserk

From what I've heard, it's a prequel to the manga, so (assuming the manga had an ending) the anime does, it's just in a different medium.

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-22, 11:07 AM
No no, see, the chronological ending of the Berserk anime is episode 1. The last episode tells us, more or less, how we got to that point (though it leaves the escape from the situation off-camera), there is a tiny little scene with the Dragonslayer being forged if I remember correctly.

Which means it has an ending, just not the same one as the Manga, and arguably not a satisfying one.

[edit] Oh, and hellsing Ultimate may be fixing the different-ending thing, but it should also currently be in the unfinished, shouldn't it? :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2011-11-22, 11:23 AM
Manga got cancelled: X/1999

Anime with ending that differs from Manga: Bokurano

Anime with loose ending that never got finished, while the manga did and then the manga rebooted and started over again leaving the anime up in the air and leaving this particular Angel quite upset (categorize that as you see fit): Rozen Maiden (http://imageshack.us/f/127/rozenmaidensh8.png/)

The_Admiral
2011-11-22, 11:39 AM
No mention of The Big O? I am dissapointed. :smallbiggrin:

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-22, 12:24 PM
Anime which straight up don't have an ending:
.hack//SIGN
It seems like a perfectly fine ending to me unlike .hack//Roots.

danzibr
2011-11-22, 01:43 PM
It seems like a perfectly fine ending to me unlike .hack//Roots.
M'kay... I'll change it. From what I remember you had to play the games to get the rest of the story, but it's been a while. Oh wait, I just remembered the last scene. Yeah.

danzibr
2011-11-22, 01:49 PM
I dunno if I should put this back in the first post or not, but...

If I miscategorize (spellcheck tells me that's not a word) what you tell me, please let me know. Sometimes it's not entirely clear to me which category it should fall under from the given test.

Also, I wasn't going to include any which are still ongoing. Time for another category?

Prime32
2011-11-22, 03:26 PM
From what I've heard, it's a prequel to the manga, so (assuming the manga had an ending) the anime does, it's just in a different medium.Nah, the manga has a prequel arc, and the anime is an adaptation of that arc.

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-22, 09:06 PM
M'kay... I'll change it. From what I remember you had to play the games to get the rest of the story, but it's been a while. Oh wait, I just remembered the last scene. Yeah.

Well, 'rest of the story' has nothing to do with whether there was an ending in the anime itself or not :} It works fine as a standalone. The last bit is just a "there is something more of this world" IMO.

Feytalist
2011-11-23, 03:37 AM
Manga got cancelled: X/1999

If you're talking about the manga that inspired X-TV (the anime series), then the anime has an end. It's just different from the manga. I actually wasn't even aware the manga got canceled. That's okay though, the anime was quite good enough.

thubby
2011-11-23, 06:09 AM
bus gamer had 3 episodes, and some decent groundwork set up, too. but it (and its manga) were canceled.

first hellsing is HUGELY different from the manga.
OVA is spot on an pure gore splattered awesome, though. its not done yet, but it appears to be marching toward its intended end at a brisk pace.

did samurai x every definitively end?

soul eater is very different from the manga at the end (it had to be, the manga is still running)

Feytalist
2011-11-23, 06:52 AM
did samurai x every definitively end?

If you mean Rurouni Kenshin, then yes. The movie, Requiem, and the first OVA, Trust and Betrayal, continued and concluded the manga's story. In fact, the second OVA, Reflection (or Reminiscence), extended the story beyond the manga's end. I don't think it's accepted as canon, though.

There's a live action in the works. Dunno how that's going to turn out.

I really really don't know why anyone ever called it Samurai X.

Eldan
2011-11-23, 07:39 AM
[edit] Oh, and hellsing Ultimate may be fixing the different-ending thing, but it should also currently be in the unfinished, shouldn't it? :smallsmile:

Hellsing didn't have so much a different ending as a "different everything but the first episode", no? Well, perhaps a few more, but the divergence was radical and early.

Ultimate seems to follow the Manga.

thubby
2011-11-23, 07:45 AM
I really really don't know why anyone ever called it Samurai X.

the OVAs and were originally marketed in the US as samurai x.
the style and tone are different enough that different names make a useful distinction.

Feytalist
2011-11-23, 08:08 AM
the OVAs and were originally marketed in the US as samurai x.
the style and tone are different enough that different names make a useful distinction.

...yes. I'm aware of that. It was simply a rhetorical statement. In any case, it was a continuation of the original story, which was called Rurouni Kenshin. Hardly a whole new story. And the marketing even included the original name, so the new branding made no sense, and in fact might have caused some confusion.

Nevermind. It's just a little pet peeve of mine. The point is that the series has definitively ended.

Shyftir
2011-11-23, 10:51 PM
Air Gear is not done, or it is and the ending is really strange and un-fulfilling.

Lord Ruby34
2011-11-27, 11:39 PM
Trinity Blood ended, but not as well as it could have. The author died near the end of the run, and others finished it. I can't remember if he had notes or not.

Feytalist
2011-11-28, 03:25 AM
Trinity Blood ended, but not as well as it could have. The author died near the end of the run, and others finished it. I can't remember if he had notes or not.

So that's what happened at the end of the series. I never knew that. I was wondering what went on near the finish. It was horribly confusing by the end.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-28, 05:40 PM
Does Bleach count? That show has so many episodes and its story archs are so long I don't even know what's going on. It's like the NeverEnding Story, except the characters in Bleach are nowhere near as serious (even Rockbiter in the third movie was more seriously handled then most of the cast).