PDA

View Full Version : Soda machines dispense cats?!

Neko Toast
2011-11-22, 09:09 PM
Obscure anime references aside, we really did find a cat living in the soda machine in our laundry room at our apartment complex. My neighbors (I'm good friends with them) found her last night and let her sleep at their place. When I got done with class today, I came over to talk about it with them. It's gender is female, she's an adult cat, and she's super friendly, which suggests that she used to have a home, though she wasn't wearing a collar/tags. She is also very fond of taking cat naps in people's laps.

We'll be taking her to the humane society in a couple of days, just to make sure she isn't sick/has been spayed. We might talk more extensively with them to see if I can actually adopt her, if we find that her owner abandoned her or something. She really is sweet, and I'm quickly growing attached to her.

If I do keep her, we all decided that her name will be Sprite. She was living in a Coke machine, and it's also Shadow Cat's nickname in X-men.

Coidzor
2011-11-22, 10:12 PM
Well, lucky cat. Usually more tragic when they climb into heavy pieces of machinery.

The Succubus
2011-11-23, 05:06 AM
If I do keep her, we all decided that her name will be Sprite. She was living in a Coke machine, and it's also Shadow Cat's nickname in X-men.

Would you say she has a bubbly personality?

Abies
2011-11-23, 05:50 PM
That is so cute... was she staying in the actual dispensing mechanism or in the back where the motor likely kept warm? If it was in the dispensory, then I'd not even worry about finding previous owners... it came out when you paid, its yours.

Beware though... even cats that have not been correctly socialized will be lovey, sit in your lap and allow themselves to be petted. The least little thing though and they can turn (yes, true of any cat). I know you are taking her to the shelter to see the details, but do not get too attached too quickly. See how she responds around small kids before making any sort of judgement.

Bhu
2011-11-23, 06:09 PM
u are gud purrson

cattoy
2011-11-23, 08:37 PM
this thread is useless without pictures.

but seriously, good on you.

TheSummoner
2011-11-24, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't say the thread is useless without pictures, but they certainly would be nice. This is the internet. Whenever a cat is mentioned, we expect to see cute pictures!

Anyways, I hope everything turns out ok and you get to give Sprite (which is an adorable name for a cat, especially considering the circumstances) a good home.

Neko Toast
2011-11-25, 06:39 PM
Update: Didn't take her to the vet today. Had to work in the morning for Black Friday, and I've been sick in bed since yesterday. I think I should be feeling well enough to take her in tomorrow, though. My mom gave me the extra cat carrier we had lying around at home.

So far there haven't been any major problems. She's super cuddly and nice as ever. She's eating regularly, and is gaining some weight back because of it. My only concern is that she seems to sneeze a lot. She even had a sneezing fit earlier today. I'm sure it's nothing serious, though. She also seems to be obsessed with the fridge. I wonder if it's because she was living in the soda machine (she was living behind it, from what I heard from my neighbors).

As for pictures, it's hard to get one of her. The cat likes to move around a lot. But I got a couple (slightly blurry) pictures for you.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/1123101215.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/1123101207.jpg

blackfox
2011-11-25, 09:10 PM
Would you say she has a bubbly personality?You're a bad person.

In all seriousness, though? That's adorable :3

Abies
2011-11-25, 09:49 PM
Yes, the fascination with your fridge is likely due to her living next to the compressor of the vending machine. Be careful if your fridge is old or the access may actually allow her to get in. Best bet: provide better options for "warm"; like a heating pad or electric blanket.

The most important thing to remember is to tell her every day that she is a pretty cat, and a good cat. Or perhaps feeding her will be enough.

Neko Toast
2011-11-26, 09:21 AM
Yes, the fascination with your fridge is likely due to her living next to the compressor of the vending machine. Be careful if your fridge is old or the access may actually allow her to get in. Best bet: provide better options for "warm"; like a heating pad or electric blanket.

The most important thing to remember is to tell her every day that she is a pretty cat, and a good cat. Or perhaps feeding her will be enough.

The fridge won't be a problem, as its sides and back are surrounded by walls. There's no room for her to squeeze back there. As for warmth, I have a space heater in my bedroom that I run whenever I'm around, and I might be getting an electric blanket for Christmas.

Another Update: Learned that I need to clean the litter box quite often. It didn't look full from what I could tell, but she must have known it was, because she used my bathtub as her toilet for a bit. :smallannoyed: I was annoyed, but I didn't explode at the cat or anything. I just cleaned up the mess (I used concentrated Mr. Clean, I hope that was enough to clean it), ran to the store to grab more litter and a pooper scooper, and cleaned her litter box (turned out to be fuller than I initially thought). She seems more content now.

Juggling Goth
2011-11-26, 02:04 PM
Bear in mind that cats have a much better sense of smell than you. Even if they've buried it under the litter, they can still smell it. Some cats will keep using the tray till there's nowhere clean to put their paws; some will decide that having made one 'deposit', they won't go near it again till it's been scooped. Depends on the fastidiousness of the cat.

Aw, I hope she's healthy and you can give her a nice home. She looks like a real cutie from the pictures.

Bhu
2011-11-26, 06:36 PM
Something else to keep in mind until youve had her taken to the vet: DO NOT TOUCH CAT FECES!

Cats have parasites transmittable to humans, and generally you get them from coming into contact with their poop. SO wear plenty of protective gear till you make sure she doesnt have worms. WOrry not though, if she does the vet has medicine for both of you.

grimbold
2011-11-26, 06:55 PM
this is great
i'm glad you found that cat
i wish you luck

TheCountAlucard
2011-11-26, 07:00 PM
Never mind Grimbold,
I thought it was a haiku
My mistake, hehe.

Abies
2011-11-26, 07:08 PM
Something else to keep in mind until youve had her taken to the vet: DO NOT TOUCH CAT FECES!

Cats have parasites transmittable to humans, and generally you get them from coming into contact with their poop. SO wear plenty of protective gear till you make sure she doesnt have worms. WOrry not though, if she does the vet has medicine for both of you.

I hate to be the negative nelly, but this information is alarmist and has no basis in fact. Cat feces are no more dangerous to humans than accidentally touching your own poop. Sure, if one is in the habit of licking their fingers or touching their eyes immediately after touching any manner of feces they might be in trouble.

There is a reason cats are the most popular pet on Earth. They can not get you sick or significantly harm you without negligence on the keeper's part. Even the universally reviled toxoplasmosis has a negligable danger of harming an expectant mother or child.

If there is any concern for personal safety, it would be rabies. Judging from the prolonged descriptions of being a friendly animal, that does not seem to be a concern.

Edit: You seem to have a great animal on your hands, using the tub instead of the usual potty in the case of perceived dirtiness is a good sign of a highly socialized cat. Instead of using an "inappropriate" place to potty, she used a remote, clean place. Good Cat, Pretty Cat.
For reference, a litter box should be cleaned 1/day per cat (multiple litter boxes do not modify this equation). Less frequent cleaning invites urinary infection for the cat and inappropriate/unwelcome urination/BM outside the litter box.

grimbold
2011-11-26, 08:09 PM
Never mind Grimbold,
I thought it was a haiku
My mistake, hehe.

Oh I am Sorry
I do love a good haiku
should we start a thread?

Bhu
2011-11-27, 12:14 AM
I hate to be the negative nelly, but this information is alarmist and has no basis in fact. Cat feces are no more dangerous to humans than accidentally touching your own poop. Sure, if one is in the habit of licking their fingers or touching their eyes immediately after touching any manner of feces they might be in trouble.

Just repeating what the local vet told me. Wasn't trying to be alarmist so much as look out for fellow playgrounder.

Juggling Goth
2011-11-27, 01:16 AM
Poop isn't going to hurt you unless it gets into your food, blood or mucous membranes.* It's gross, but it isn't magic. So, you know, wash your hands after you've cleaned the litter tray. Use soap and everything. Don't go touching poop if you have broken skin on your hands. But none of that should be news to you :smalltongue: And don't allow your cat on food preparation surfaces, unless you see her sit down with soap and water and scrub her paws first. In which case, pics or it didn't happen.

* Or if it turns into dust and you inhale it, in the case of birds and bats. But that really should not be happening with a cat.

Neko Toast
2011-11-27, 04:57 PM
Don't worry, I took all of the precautions with the cleaning up. Used paper towels to clean up the mess, and washed my hands when it was all said and done. I grew up with multiple cats in my house, so I know the precautions with toilet duties.

In other news, I talked to someone who's in regular contact with our Humane Society (she's currently fostering some kittens until they grow up and ween off of their mother's milk). She said the adoption would cost 40 dollars, which would include all vaccinations and spaying (if it's needed). So, I think it's set in stone that I'm keeping this cat. She's super attached to me at this point.

Does anyone have any good ideas for names for her? I was thinking Mesousa, but suggestions are welcome.

John Cribati
2011-11-27, 05:03 PM
I'd still go with Sprite. It's cute.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-27, 05:28 PM
I'd still go with Sprite. It's cute.

I agree with the mongoose.

Whiffet
2011-11-27, 05:48 PM
Yeah, stick with Sprite. That's just perfect.

TheCountAlucard
2011-11-27, 05:50 PM
D'aww... :smallredface:

Castaras
2011-11-27, 06:15 PM
Yeah, stick with Sprite. That's just perfect.

Pretty much.

Adorable story. I would say the adoption is a happy ending, but quite honestly it's only the beginning of a wonderful time with a furball. :smallbiggrin: So congratulations!

blackfox
2011-11-27, 06:36 PM
Fourth (fifth?) vote for Sprite, it's fitting :smallsmile:

Aedilred
2011-11-27, 07:00 PM
Just repeating what the local vet told me. Wasn't trying to be alarmist so much as look out for fellow playgrounder.
I heard from my ex-gf (who is someone who I generally trust to know what she's talking about on such matters, even if she is a bit of a mad cat person) that there's a parasite common to the vast majority of cat owners, usually contracted from their cat. From what I remember, it originates in smaller animals (usually mice) and makes the scent of the cat powerfully attractive, causing them to get suicidally close to the cat, whereupon the cat eats it and thus contracts the parasite.

The parasite is harmless to humans although it does make them better-disposed towards cats. I'm not sure whether it has any detrimental effect on the cat, but I don't think so. It generally doesn't do the mouse any favours.

I can verify the mouse part of the procedure anecdotally but I don't know how much truth there is in the human part.

Worira
2011-11-27, 07:06 PM
Sprite is a fine name for a cat that didn't come from a vending machine. For one that did, it's perfect.

bluewind95
2011-11-27, 08:44 PM
She definitely looks like a Sprite. She's so cute!

Traab
2011-11-27, 10:14 PM
Heh, I love cats. Too bad im so violently allergic to them. They cause me to swell up and die. (No joke, last time I was stuck in a house with 7 cats my throat started to swell shut)

Neko Toast
2011-11-27, 10:43 PM
I think the cat will have multiple names at this point. I like Mesousa (reference to Pani Poni Dash, which makes this whole story that much more funny), since it's cute and can be made into nicknames, but Sprite is nice, too. The neighbor just calls her Soda Cat, and her roommate calls her Cat face. I'm gonna stick with Mesousa as best I can, though, so the cat has some understanding of its identity.

Supagoof
2011-11-28, 12:24 AM
Aw, go with Sprite, a loving tribute of where it came from as well as a cure name.

We had a similar instance in getting our cat, Squish. She was hanging out in my brothers boat. We adopted her, and she's just a great loving cat. I think she even knew I was a dog person, because she would play fetch with her toy mice. Which I think is great. My brother has a different opinion though, as he was watching her for a weekend once. Well she found a mouse, and wanting to play, brought it to him. While he was sleeping. And it wasn't a toy...

Needless say, he woke up to a live mouse on his chest. Which, when he threw it away, Squish fetched it and brought it back to him. He didn't find her play so entertaining, but I still enjoy telling the story.

Squish was named after watching Finding Nemo.

The Succubus
2011-11-28, 05:23 AM
You know, your kitty is going to need therapy further down the line:

"But Owner, where did I come from? Is it something to do with girl cats and boy cats?"

"Well, Sprite, what happens is a mummy coin and a daddy vending machine, who love each other very much...."

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-28, 05:47 AM
"Well, Sprite, what happens is a mummy coin and a daddy vending machine, who love each other very much...."

I think you have the genders on those the wrong way round...

Serpentine
2011-11-28, 05:58 AM
I heard from my ex-gf (who is someone who I generally trust to know what she's talking about on such matters, even if she is a bit of a mad cat person) that there's a parasite common to the vast majority of cat owners, usually contracted from their cat. From what I remember, it originates in smaller animals (usually mice) and makes the scent of the cat powerfully attractive, causing them to get suicidally close to the cat, whereupon the cat eats it and thus contracts the parasite.

The parasite is harmless to humans although it does make them better-disposed towards cats. I'm not sure whether it has any detrimental effect on the cat, but I don't think so. It generally doesn't do the mouse any favours.

I can verify the mouse part of the procedure anecdotally but I don't know how much truth there is in the human part.It makes both cats and mice act more recklessly, making them more likely to get killed and pass on to the next in the life cycle. It also does the same to humans - a study found that a disproportionate number of extreme sportspeople and thrill-seekers are cat owners :smallbiggrin:
I don't believe it does anything particularly more harmful than that, though. On the other hand, parasites, ew.
The neighbor just calls her Soda Cat, and her roommate calls her Cat face.Cat Face? (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/catface/Cat+Face/)

Neko Toast
2011-11-28, 02:41 PM
Cat Face? (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/catface/Cat+Face/)

That is great.

Also, I have come up with a name for the cat. I actually didn't like the idea of anything that was too gimmicky, like Sprite and Mesousa.

Ida shall be her name. I'll be taking her to the Humane Society tomorrow to officially adopt her.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-28, 06:51 PM
To be fair, Sprite does imply a rather flat, two dimensional personality.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-28, 08:06 PM
Or a fey, trickster-like personality.

Neko Toast
2011-11-29, 08:14 PM
Wow. Okay, so, major update today.

Took the cat to the humane society. They scanned to see if there was a micro chip anywhere inside it, which would have owner information, and they found one. They found a number, and called. It turns out that this cat is River (and is actually a he). The owner could not keep him due to circumstances, so he gave him away to a friend. Apparently the friend is the one who ditched the cat in the laundry room. He said that he was alright with me adopting him, and seemed relieved that he was going to a good home. He had his vaccinations updated, took some de-worming meds, and had his nails clipped before we left.

Things have been stressful after that, though. River threw up on the way home, and a number of times after we got back. It's been nothing but foamy stuff for a while. He's also been having diarrhea. I cleaned up the mess (luckily he only got a little bit of puke on himself when in the box), and I've been cleaning his litter often. He still seems unhappy, though, and hasn't eaten or drank anything to my knowledge. My guess is that this is mostly due to stress and the de-worming meds not agreeing with him, but I can't help but worry. Do you guys think he's alright?

Edit: It looks like he's slowly starting to drink some water. This makes me happy.

bluewind95
2011-11-29, 08:31 PM
Cats HATE cars. They sometimes also get motion sickness. I guess that might've happened to River.

Real nasty of that person dumping the poor cat like that. He's a lucky little critter that you found him.

Bhu
2011-11-29, 09:06 PM
cats (and for that matter most animals) HATE change

It stresses them out massively. Make him feel comfortable, and pamper him a lil, and he'll eventually de-stress.

grimbold
2011-11-30, 06:27 AM
I think you have the genders on those the wrong way round...

ahh god
bad joke makes head hurt

polity4life
2011-11-30, 07:44 AM
Yet another tabby-coated cat that turns out to be a pretty good. I've yet to see an ill-tempered, poorly socialized tabby. My girlfriend and I have one and she is a skamp at times but cannot resist laying down on someone if they are under a blanket. It's adorable. Her drooling after petting her is a bit..eesh at times.

Does River drool?

Neko Toast
2011-11-30, 01:38 PM
The cat threw up again this morning. Still the foamy stuff. He won't eat or drink anything, and won't even move. I'm becoming more and more worried about him. I can't call the humane society for advice, either, because they are closed on Wednesdays. :smallfrown: I'm worried that he's going to get dehydrated...

userpay
2011-11-30, 03:42 PM
Theres got to be a vet somewhere in your area other than the humane society you can take him to. The best I can figure is that he's having an adverse reaction to the meds they gave him as it seems like this is a little to long for it to be motion sickness. What are you giving him, dry or wet food? Wet food might be a bit more appetizing and easier to get down.

Serpentine
2011-12-01, 02:13 AM
I think most vets have a "vet on duty". Give someone a call.

THAC0
2011-12-01, 02:42 AM
Definitely call the vet. My cat was on meds after having a procedure and started throwing up when I got him home. They told me to discontinue the meds. He was fine after that.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-01, 02:53 AM
I am really sorry to hear of this latest development, I hope you new friend feels better soon.
Seriously though, that 'friend' of the original ownder ditching a pet like that. I mean seriously, what <expletive redacted/> kind of <expletive redacted/> <expletive redacted/> would do that?:smallfurious:

H Birchgrove
2011-12-01, 01:41 PM
I am really sorry to hear of this latest development, I hope you new friend feels better soon.
Seriously though, that 'friend' of the original ownder ditching a pet like that. I mean seriously, what <expletive redacted/> kind of <expletive redacted/> <expletive redacted/> would do that?:smallfurious:

Very sad and horrible stuff:
I read in a tabloid's website that a father in France put his own son in a washing machine, and started a washing program. :smalleek: :smallfurious:

Boy died. :smallfrown:

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-01, 02:17 PM
Very sad and horrible stuff:
Dammit, I hoped I wouldn't hear/read about that horrible story anymore in this forum. :smallfrown:
Huh, yeah. Don't underestimate the lack of empathy of people. It's best to assume the average human is mildly stupid/evil until they prove otherwise.

userpay
2011-12-01, 02:27 PM
Just last night someone dumped a possibly pregnant dog off on the curbside next to where I work (A pet store) as I was leaving. At least they had the decency to dump the animal where it could be taken care of until the animal shelter could come. Not to mention the dog seems to have a microchip if what tags it had are anything to go by so the owners should be trackable. Hopefully when I go in for my shift tonight there'll be an update.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-01, 04:06 PM

Too bad you didn't find the cat on the 23rd, you could have named her Dr Pepper.:smallwink:

Asta Kask
2011-12-01, 04:31 PM
Dammit, I hoped I wouldn't hear/read about that horrible story anymore in this forum. :smallfrown:
Huh, yeah. Don't underestimate the lack of empathy of people. It's best to assume the average human is mildly stupid/evil until they prove otherwise.

I don't accept that. I've lived here for 38 years (almost) and over that time I've been struck by how helpful and kind most people are. It's just that we don't hear about all these people because they're not news. Think about it! News are by their very nature unusual. If things like putting cats in soda dispenser or babies into washing machines were commonplace, we wouldn't hear about them. We'd absorb them through that strange osmosis-like process by which the ordinary spreads through society.

We've made enormous progress over the last 500 years. Over that time we have criminalized slavery, made racial bigotry largely unacceptable in polite company and made it possible for my friends in the LGBTA thread to be true to their own selves without being lobotomized or put in prison or beat up by the police. True, there's a lot to be done, but it won't be done by the people who deny that we can even make progress.

And I will leave with an example pertinent to this thread. A major pleasure in the lives of Parisians in the 16th century was cat burning. The authorities would collect a number of feral cats, put them in metal cages and then slowly lower them onto large bonfires, to the amusement of the crowd. Now imagine the mayor of any western city proposing that such measures be instituted to please the crowd. It can scarcely be done, not seriously anyway.

Sorry, that was a rant.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-01, 04:56 PM
Sorry, I'm quite pessimistic when it comes to human nature, and it's hard to shake it off. I try and trust people on the Internet more because knowingly applying my default supposition to the whole online populace would hurt my mind thoroughly.
Sorry for derailing the thread unintentionally, and let us go back to that poor cat. Hope he gets better soon. :smallfrown:

OracleofWuffing
2011-12-01, 05:09 PM
Too bad you didn't find the cat on the 23rd, you could have named her Dr Pepper.:smallwink:
Since the cat is a boy and already had a First Name... You could say its Middle Name is Pibb and it could go by Mister Pibb.:smalltongue:

I mean, like, totally, vet advice is the best advice, so whatever you can get on that front. One thing I wonder, though, is if you could get in touch with the previous owner and see what the cat was eating before? Just as much as cats don't like change, some of them have strange reactions to unfamiliar food.

Neko Toast
2011-12-02, 02:07 PM
He has perked up significantly. He was scratching at my bedroom door this morning for cuddles, and he started to eat some food when I left for class. I think I'll still talk with the Humane Society, though. His reaction to the meds have them thinking that he had worms, and want to give him another dose in case of eggs. I'm not so sure, though. I'll give them a call when I get back home.

Arminius
2011-12-02, 10:01 PM
I know it's a he and not a she, but given it's first name, I recommend that any name added to the end should be "Tam". Whatever his name, I am glad he found someone who will take care of him, and that he is doing better. Good luck.:smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2011-12-04, 07:00 AM
He has perked up significantly. He was scratching at my bedroom door this morning for cuddles, and he started to eat some food when I left for class. I think I'll still talk with the Humane Society, though. His reaction to the meds have them thinking that he had worms, and want to give him another dose in case of eggs. I'm not so sure, though. I'll give them a call when I get back home.

Why isn't he inside your bedroom, sharing cuddles with you all night long? You'd be amazed at how much warmth, comfort and love a 3-lb kitten can provide.

Juggling Goth
2011-12-05, 02:14 AM
The owner could not keep him due to circumstances, so he gave him away to a friend. Apparently the friend is the one who ditched the cat in the laundry room.

Wow. That 'friend' is... *considers several scrubbable options*... a real piece of work.

I hope River's illness turns out to be situational and minor.

Why isn't he inside your bedroom, sharing cuddles with you all night long? You'd be amazed at how much warmth, comfort and love a 3-lb kitten can provide.

Only when you're really, really sure it's stopped puking. There's no good way to be woken up suddenly, but a faceful of cat puke is worse than most. You also don't want to get out of bed and put your bare foot in a lumpy little puddle...

Abies
2011-12-05, 02:39 AM
One gets used to it and learns to wake up at the first sounds of cat barfing and/or avoiding landmines left elsewhere.
^as told by a guy who has a cat with major food allergies, and a really poor sence of fullness (hence lots of barf).

The worst wake up I ever had involved me, my cat, a strange dog outside the bedroom window, and a direct line of effect from the windowsill to my crotch... Worst way to wake up I've experienced thus far.

Juggling Goth
2011-12-05, 02:49 AM
One gets used to it and learns to wake up at the first sounds of cat barfing and/or avoiding landmines left elsewhere.
^as told by a guy who has a cat with major food allergies, and a really poor sence of fullness (hence lots of barf).

The worst wake up I ever had involved me, my cat, a strange dog outside the bedroom window, and a direct line of effect from the windowsill to my crotch... Worst way to wake up I've experienced thus far.

Oh yeah, that weird gulping sound... I learned quick growing up that that was the cue to move the cat off the carpet and onto a wipe-clean floor.

Before I got the snake, when my housemate's cat was allowed in my room, she once ran all the way upstairs to throw up in my housemate's bed, and then made it all the way back downstairs to spit the last foamy bits into my boots. Lovely.

TheArsenal
2011-12-05, 04:09 PM
Such a cute happy tale. Best of luck!

grimbold
2011-12-06, 04:43 AM
piece of advice: Cat's don't really understand that your bed is your "Sleeping Area" as they sleep pretty much anywhere, so when they throw up on your blankets (As happened to me the other day) its not their fault

Ravens_cry
2011-12-06, 07:09 AM
Is it wrong to laugh at that?
Because I did.:smallredface:

Traab
2011-12-06, 10:42 AM
piece of advice: Cat's don't really understand that your bed is your "Sleeping Area" as they sleep pretty much anywhere, so when they throw up on your blankets (As happened to me the other day) its not their fault

If its not the fault of the puker, whose fault is it? The mail mans?! :smallbiggrin: I know, you more meant, they dont puke there on purpose just to soil your sleeping area, I just couldnt help it. I had a cat who liked to puke IN my shoes. Not on them, in them. Id go to put on my sneakers and SQUISH.

irenicObserver
2011-12-06, 12:17 PM

We went ot L.A. once and got two pet turtles. My twenty-something cousin got one for her daughter but she couldn't take care of it so she decided to just let it starve.

Juggling Goth
2011-12-06, 02:19 PM
We went ot L.A. once and got two pet turtles. My twenty-something cousin got one for her daughter but she couldn't take care of it so she decided to just let it starve.

AAAARGH.

I accidentally adopted a large terrapin (red-eared slider) on Saturday. I'm supposed to be fostering her, but they're a bugger to rehome and none of the local rescues/zoos will take her. She'd been dumped in the fish pond at my workplace. I do think pet shops are massively at fault, because they're frankly awful pets, especially for children. Pet shops need to be telling people, "They live for thirty years and need a tank the size of your bathtub." But dammit. There's a responsibility there. I mean, I didn't actually want a terrapin. I like reptiles, but aquatic pets are just more trouble than they're worth. But nobody else was gonna feed her, so here we are. Smelling of fish.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-06, 02:49 PM
*silence*
Apelings, don't make me hate you.
I really want to love you for all your creativity, love and compassion.
Just stop doing things like this, please.
It makes it really really hard not to hate you.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-06, 03:10 PM
Quite literally one of the most awful things I've read lately. :smallsigh:

bluewind95
2011-12-06, 04:22 PM
Oh that's awful! :smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown: It reminds me of the horrific thing someone here said they did to their fish when they decided they didn't want to take care of them anymore. In a thread about aquarium keepers.

I don't hate humanity as a whole. But some people... sometimes make me wish I could. Just so that anger and disgust feels like it goes somewhere where it's deserved overall.

At any rate. I'm glad the kitty is doing better. What a lucky little guy! So are you going to rename him?

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-06, 04:33 PM
I just got a kitty myself. My mom found her outside (she lives in a rural area) and the cat basically bugged her until she gave it a bed and some food. My dad wouldn't let her in the house, so my fiance and I decided to follow the big, blinking neon signs that said LOVE ME and now we have a cat.

Her name is Chess (based on 1. I've always thought that Chess short for Cheshire was a good name for a cat, 2. she just happens to have a checkerboard-like pattern on her face, and 3. she is ridiculously smart for a kitten). We've been going through a lot of the same things. Kittens poop A LOT. It's usually my fiance's duty (heh) and her litter box gets full every morning and every night. She only pooped outside the litter box once before she used it like a pro, and then the only time she's pooped somewhere else is when my fiance's visiting dad closed the bathroom door where her litter box was on her. It's normal for a cat to have a post-vet depression, especially one where they get vaccinations or medicine. Chess wouldn't eat for a day or two after her first vet visit and tried to hide under the bed and, worse, in her litter box. I'm dreading when we have to get her spayed.

Also, I don't know why, but when I'm in bed she's actually pounced on my crotch, actively aiming it for it several times in a row.

I sleep on my side now.

userpay
2011-12-07, 01:44 AM
Don't even get me started on the people illegally selling too small red ear sliders (which the L.A. comment reminds me of since a lot of them seem to come from there). I can't count the number of times I've had to explain to disbelieving people how much that little turtle is really gonna cost them.

The Succubus
2011-12-07, 05:07 AM

I'm kind of ambivalent on this. On the one hand, it really is a horrifically cruel thing to do to an animal and the mother should be punished harshly for allwoing this...

...and yet, there is a twisted logic to it as well. Now the next time the daughter asks for a pet, the mother can quite explicitly say "No" because she has shown herself to be feckless and uncaring.

I...have a confession to make in regards to this. I used to keep stick insects when I was very young (around 9-10) and while I took good care of them to begin with, I wasn't as attentive later on. My mum ensured that they never starved due to my laziness at the time but after they died, it was made abundantly clear I was never to own any pet again. :smallfrown:

I really don't think any child under the age of 10 should have a pet.

Serpentine
2011-12-07, 05:13 AM
Not independently, perhaps. But I think having kids help with looking after family pets can't be a bad idea.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-07, 05:44 AM
Yeah. I got a hamster at 11/12 just because on my (then) best friend's birthday, he decided I should get one, too. I neglected the poor little guy, and he died of a cancer not too long after I got him. Still feel bad about it. :smallfrown:
The key is that kids should grow up with pets that aren't theirs, but their caretakers', like I did (of course, I "only" neglected the hamster as opposed to abusing it or letting it starve, but see above). THEN, after some experience with animals, once they get responsible enough, giving the kid their own pet may be considered.

grimbold
2011-12-07, 10:13 AM
]I had a cat who liked to puke IN my shoes. Not on them, in them. Id go to put on my sneakers and SQUISH.

that seems...
unpleasant

turkishproverb
2011-12-07, 10:25 AM
Adorable Cat story. Mind you, I'm not sure I'll ever buy a can of soda again...

Which Feline nutritional suppliment number was that again? :smallsmile:

AAAARGH.

I accidentally adopted a large terrapin (red-eared slider) on Saturday. I'm supposed to be fostering her, but they're a bugger to rehome and none of the local rescues/zoos will take her. She'd been dumped in the fish pond at my workplace. I do think pet shops are massively at fault, because they're frankly awful pets, especially for children. Pet shops need to be telling people, "They live for thirty years and need a tank the size of your bathtub." But dammit. There's a responsibility there. I mean, I didn't actually want a terrapin. I like reptiles, but aquatic pets are just more trouble than they're worth. But nobody else was gonna feed her, so here we are. Smelling of fish.

I have a slider staying with relatives right now. Had her since I was young. good animal. Sarcastic, but good. :smallsmile:

Juggling Goth
2011-12-07, 02:59 PM
I do sound terribly down on sliders and people who get them, don't I? They're an invasive species over here, because of people getting them as hatchlings and dumping them as they got bigger. A lot of people blame the Ninja Turtles cartoon for that one, though mine's too young for that. I'm glad you got along fine with yours, though.

Asta Kask
2011-12-07, 03:45 PM
Also, I don't know why, but when I'm in bed she's actually pounced on my crotch, actively aiming it for it several times in a row.

She thought she saw something that moved?

Neko Toast
2011-12-07, 10:20 PM
Kay, sorry. Haven't posted any updates lately. River got over the illness fine. He perked up after a couple of days.

He's starting to become a pain in the butt, though. :smallannoyed: The novelty only lasts for so long. Recently, I've been dealing with a lot of strains in my life, financial ones only being the beginning... He has a habit of chewing on certain things. Certain things being my laptop's AC adaptor. I'm not home all of the time, what with work and school, so I can't always be around to scold him. So one day my laptop decided it didn't want to charge. I inspected further and found several bite marks on the cord. I managed to order a replacement online for relatively cheap, but this is still frustrating. I'm gonna have to pack the damn thing away when I'm gone now.

He also ruined this little beanbag pillow thing I own. I was literally gone for less than an hour, and them boom. Puncture hole in the pillow, and little beads strewn across the bed, as well as on his paws. -sigh-

Hopefully with me graduating this month, I can be around more to keep an eye on him, and properly train him in the do's and don't's.

Erts
2011-12-07, 10:35 PM
Hey, OP, congratulations, cat's are awesome!
But, I must ask: are you sure this is not a lost cat? You said you found it as an adult.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-08, 12:19 AM
Hey, OP, congratulations, cat's are awesome!
But, I must ask: are you sure this is not a lost cat? You said you found it as an adult.Well, as the OP went on to say in later posts, the cat did belong to someone, but was abandoned.

Bhu
2011-12-08, 02:00 AM
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/how-to-care-for-a-cat7.htm

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/catproof.htm

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/news/safety.htm

http://animal.discovery.com/cat-guide/cat-preparation/

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/cat_proofing_your_house.html

some quick cat proofing links

'Unplug electrical cords. If your cat's a chewer, she could be in for a nasty shock. You could also deter her from chewing on cords by placing them in a cord protector or coating them with a bad-tasting substance like hot sauce or a non-toxic ointment or spray available at pet supply stores. '

turkishproverb
2011-12-08, 06:32 AM
I do sound terribly down on sliders and people who get them, don't I? They're an invasive species over here, because of people getting them as hatchlings and dumping them as they got bigger. A lot of people blame the Ninja Turtles cartoon for that one, though mine's too young for that. I'm glad you got along fine with yours, though.

OH, yea. I agree they can be lots of problems when treated inappropriately. No argument. I just had to point out that if you're the right type of person, they can make good pets, if fairly high maintenance ones. :smallsmile::smallsmile:

Traab
2011-12-08, 11:59 AM
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/how-to-care-for-a-cat7.htm

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/catproof.htm

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/news/safety.htm

http://animal.discovery.com/cat-guide/cat-preparation/

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/cat_proofing_your_house.html

some quick cat proofing links

'Unplug electrical cords. If your cat's a chewer, she could be in for a nasty shock. You could also deter her from chewing on cords by placing them in a cord protector or coating them with a bad-tasting substance like hot sauce or a non-toxic ointment or spray available at pet supply stores. '

Yeah, i was going to suggest the bitter sprays for your cords and stuff. other than that, its all about baby proofing, (well, cat proofing) My dog is a chewer as well. We lost a solid dozen pairs of shoes across the 5 of us since we got him. Probably several dozen pairs of underwear and pants, (he loves eating the crotch out of clothes, no clue why, since he did it to brand new stuff never worn before too) Eventually we managed to get into the habit of removing all the stuff he likes to chew on from being reachable, and we no longer allow him in certain rooms unless we are there too. We eventually crated him at night since he would randomly eat things during the night if his precious schedule wasnt followed exactly. Luckily he likes the crate.

grimbold
2011-12-09, 04:06 PM
Well, as the OP went on to say in later posts, the cat did belong to someone, but was abandoned.

possibly by a vending machine repairman? :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-12-09, 05:03 PM
Hopefully with me graduating this month, I can be around more to keep an eye on him, and properly train him in the do's and don't's.

No, but he'll probably train you to put up with it. You are not grasping the human-kitten power structure here.