PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Anne McCaffrey

Thane of Fife
2011-11-22, 09:42 PM
Apparently, sci-fi author Anne McCaffrey passed away either today or yesterday.

Dragonflight was one of my favorite books for a long time, and I've had a lot of enjoyment out of Pern. I remember having a big omnibus of the first three stories, and it inspired me to get into her world big time. I tried delving into Acorna as well, but I could never quite get into that. I haven't read anything of hers in a while, but I may just crack open Dragonflight again tonight.

Article on MSNBC (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45409015/ns/today-books/)

Velaryon
2011-11-22, 10:08 PM
Sad to hear. The Pern books were the second fantasy series I ever read (Shannara was the first), and served as a sort of gateway into fantasy for me. I think I was in junior high the last time I read one of McCaffrey's books, but they definitely made a difference in my life.

Melayl
2011-11-22, 10:32 PM
I just saw it on MSNBC myself. She died 11/21/11 at home in Ireland. Her Pern series was one of my first fantasy series as well, and led me into other fantasy, like her Talents series led me to other SciFi.

She will be missed.

Aotrs Commander
2011-11-23, 06:40 AM
Sad news. My Mum in particular is a big fan, and I've read a good proportion of her books myself.

Psyren
2011-11-23, 10:02 AM
Dammit! :smallfrown:

I loved "Ship Who Sang" "City Who Fought" and "Ship Who Won." Great examples of the extremely rare non-bastard AI.

*salutes*

Ravens_cry
2011-11-23, 11:06 AM
Technically, they were not AI, the pilots were just a little . . .truncated.
I did not enjoy Dragondrums, but I liked the first two and of The Ship Who . . .stories I have read I enjoyed them pretty much,

zyphyr
2011-11-23, 04:45 PM
I was never a big fan, but I am still saddened by her passing.

The Valiant Turtle
2011-11-23, 04:57 PM
I saw this on Slashdot this morning and have been thinking about her books throughout the day. I'd guess that I've probably spent more total time in my life reading her books than any other writer. Tolkien and L. Frank Baum are probably the only authors who are even close.

Talya
2011-11-23, 06:28 PM
I just saw it on MSNBC myself. She died 11/21/11 at home in Ireland. Her Pern series was one of my first fantasy series as well, and led me into other fantasy, like her Talents series led me to other SciFi.

She will be missed.

Minor nitpick (because the mistake is easy to make) -- Pern/Dragonriders is sci-fi. Regardless, they're worth reading for fans of either genre. Pern was a second home for me to retreat to in my mind for a very long time. I started with "Dragonsong" when I was 13 years old, and while they should probably be read in order of publication, that story was an interesting and appropriate starting point for an adolescent girl.

Somewhere dragons are trumpeting in tribute and mourning. Bring light and warmth with you between, Anne.

MlleRouge
2011-11-23, 10:48 PM
Though I've lost my taste for the firm 'feminist' slant of much of her literature, Anne's works (and especially her world) have been very important to me since a young age...Anne's world and my activity in her fanbase led me to role playing, writing, and the enjoyment of science fiction in general.

RIP Anne, thanks for all the adventures.

Knaight
2011-11-23, 11:06 PM
Minor nitpick (because the mistake is easy to make) -- Pern/Dragonriders is sci-fi. Regardless, they're worth reading for fans of either genre. Pern was a second home for me to retreat to in my mind for a very long time. I started with "Dragonsong" when I was 13 years old, and while they should probably be read in order of publication, that story was an interesting and appropriate starting point for an adolescent girl.
That is up for debate. It is undeniably far future fantasy which assumes space travel and genetic engineering, but that isn't necessarily enough to push it into sci-fi.

Zeb The Troll
2011-11-24, 01:24 AM
Troll Patrol: Sorry folks, there's already a thread for this in Friendly Banter.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223564