PDA

View Full Version : The Culture vs. Hoka

H Birchgrove
2011-11-23, 10:06 PM
I assume from previous discussions you already know about The Culture; here's the important bits on Hoka (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hoka).

So. "Contact" sends a ship to Hoka planet to make, well, contact. Will The Culture succed in making Hoka a part of their Utopian Imperium? Or will hilarity ensue? :smallbiggrin:

Selrahc
2011-11-24, 05:05 AM
I assume from previous discussions you already know about The Culture; here's the important bits on Hoka (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hoka).

So. "Contact" sends a ship to Hoka planet to make, well, contact. Will The Culture succed in making Hoka a part of their Utopian Imperium? Or will hilarity ensue? :smallbiggrin:

The Culture isn't an Imperium. It doesn't look to conquer or subsume, merely to elevate. The Hoka are a peaceful, tolerant, non-expansionist species, and things like mass historical recreation is more of a quirk than anything*. The Culture will probably send them any technology they require and establish diplomatic contact. If the Hoka like what they see, they might decide to join up.

*One that is sometimes seen in the Culture. The Sleeper Service in Excession is a mindship designed to carry billions of people in hibernation. It arranges the people it stores into fantastic tableau's, recreating historical events.

Ormur
2011-11-24, 07:29 PM
If they found anything objectionable they'd probably be able to solve it by nudging them towards more pleasant stories and tropes then. The Culture doesn't aim to subsume the whole galaxy, they just want to eliminate suffering and oppression by introducing advances in society and technology. Since the Culture itself is almost wholly without oppression and suffering that tends to make them more like the Culture. They don't aim to eliminate species wide eccentricities if they are harmless, having plenty of their own. Nevertheless I could imagine much hilarity ensuing.

There are proscriptions against unlimited technological exchange so most civilizations have a pretty long way of going before they'll be able to look at anything like the Culture or join it. Being a part of the Culture is also a subjective and voluntary thing. Whole section have seceded but there isn't much indication that societies have joined the Culture en masse since the handful of original species formed it, plenty of individuals though.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-25, 07:12 PM
I stand corrected on the Imperium bit. :smallbiggrin: