PDA

View Full Version : Lanterns on barbarian worlds

graymachine
2011-11-24, 08:26 PM
I've been catching up on Green Lantern history just prior to Blackest Night, mostly dealing with the introduction of the other Corps. I'm curious as to what happens on a world when the ring (any color) selects an individual from it because they are the best sentient to overcome great fear/instill great fear, etc. I'm curious as to how these worlds would play out, ignoring that the green and yellow rings instill a tremendous level of education.

What are your thoughts?

Dr.Epic
2011-11-24, 08:35 PM
Never read the comics, saw the film, but don't the rings select someone from a planet to represent like a galaxy or some large portion of space (more than just one planet). Hal Jordon's predecessor wasn't human. Wouldn't the ring just select a race of more evolved beings?

Also, this should probably go in the Media section of the forum.

graymachine
2011-11-24, 09:36 PM
Never read the comics, saw the film, but don't the rings select someone from a planet to represent like a galaxy or some large portion of space (more than just one planet). Hal Jordon's predecessor wasn't human. Wouldn't the ring just select a race of more evolved beings?

Also, this should probably go in the Media section of the forum.

Fair enough; I would ask a moderator to port it over to media as I lack the skills to do such, if the thing it applies. On the rings, green or otherwise: they all have exceptional AI, but none of them have ever been demonstrated to have the same judgement abilities as a sapient. On the case of the Lantern corps rings, they look for a sapient mind that has the ability to overcome great fear; that is the only requirement. I figure that the Guardians view it as a self-correcting process, so what happens to a barbarian culture where one of their own is made a Lantern? Furthermore, the other corps, as the are, have no controlling agent such as the Guardians, so what happens when one of these primitives gets a ring from them, because they showed the capacity for great rage, or for great hope, or for etc?

DeadManSleeping
2011-11-24, 11:35 PM
Given that humans were pretty unknowing of alien races when the first ring came to Earth, wouldn't they basically qualify as "barbarian"?

thubby
2011-11-25, 07:52 AM
Given that humans were pretty unknowing of alien races when the first ring came to Earth, wouldn't they basically qualify as "barbarian"?

while this is true, the ring actually picking a human was rather scandalous.

my guess is that they usually just don't, because such undeveloped worlds lack someone of the right character. after all, being the biggest rage repository on your planet would hardly be impressive to a red ring compared to someone who wants to burn down the entire galaxy. (and having that level of rage generally requires an awareness of the galaxy)

TheEmerged
2011-11-25, 03:11 PM
Okay, a foundation point first. The rings select a being to represent a nebulously-defined "sector" of space. The current explanation has space as a sphere with 3600 squares on its outer periphery. The sector is that outer square and everything from it to the inner core -- which just happens to be the planet Oa, home of the Guardians. So each of the 3600 sectors is essentially shaped like a shard with the edge of known space at one end and Oa at the point.

The Guardians created this sector system. Technically the Blue\Yellow\Violet Lanterns are just going along with it; they aren't required to do so. Remeber that the Blues were founded by 2 ex-guardians, the Yellows were founded by an ex-Green Lantern, and the Violet Lanterns are... founded by a group whose current origin is currently a mess that hasn't been cleared up as of the last time I chekced.

Originally the Guardians were all male. The Zammorans were a group of man-hating space amazons. Shortly after the original Crisis the Zammorans were ret-conned into being the female Guardians, reunited with the males, and went off to make space babies with them. Then the male Guardians came back without them. Then all the Guardians but one were killed. Then Kyle brought them back as boys & girls. And then Hal & Carol found out the Zammorans were still there, and trying to form a Corp now, without any explanation I'm aware of.

There is only 1 Orange Lantern (Larfleez, AKA "Agent Orange").

We've been given no reason to believe the Indigo Tribe give a *bleep* about the sector system. We've only seen Indigo 1 and Indigo 2 operating independently; any other time we've seen the Indigo Tribe it's been, well, the tribe.

Similarly, so far Atroctios seems to organize the Red Lanterns as a single unit rather than assigning them to sectors (most of the Red Lanterns lack enough reasoning to work independently anyway - Bleez and perhaps DexStarr being exceptions).

Expect that explanation to change at some point, it's already happened a few times.

============================================

In general, the rings choose the person in the space sector that meets their criteria -- with no other qualifications. The Red Lantern of sector 2814, DexStarr? He's a Terran cat. No, really, not even an uplifted\sentient one as near as we can tell. He's still probably the 3rd smartest one in the bunch, though, so make of that what you will.

Similarly, we were led to believe the system by which Blue Lanterns are picked is very gradual, and including speaking with Ganthet & Sayd for days. I'm using the past tense here because the overall status of this corp is up in the air right now what with Sayd being enslaved by Larfleez/Agent Orange and Ganthet being lobotomized (cf the New Guardians book).

The Green rings are back to choosing their owners now that... wait, are we out of the spoiler period here? Just in case...

...now that Mogo is dead and no longer guiding the rings. The Guardians can't even force the rings off the Lanterns now, which is why Sinestro is a Green Lantern again and Kyle is still one after the events of New Guardians.

This has led to 'primitive' species getting the Green rings before, a fact which was the subject of several "Tales of the Green Lantern Corp" featurettes back during the 80's. Laira, the "ninja Green Lantern" was from such a world, for example. A Green ring coming to a world was often one of the things that guides it into being a spacefaring one. It's also been well established for a long time that Earth is considered just such a primitive, backwater barbarian planet by the rest of the universe.

tensai_oni
2011-11-25, 03:24 PM
http://www.popcultureshock.com/manga/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/gurren-lagann-pic-1.jpg

Zevox
2011-11-25, 05:28 PM
Depends on the individual chosen, and on the Corps in question.

As noted, Larfleeze is the only bearer of the Orange Light, so that's a non-issue. The Red Lanterns are more or less Atrocitus' personal attack dogs, as their rings exert too much control over them and leave them in a constant state of nigh-mindless rage, so they're similarly a non-issue. Too little information on the Indigo Tribe exists to give an answer on them.

For the Sinestro Corps, I'd imagine that, once their training on Qward (or wherever Sinestro has set up shop lately - I only just got ahold of the latest trades, haven't read them yet, so I'm not entirely sure of that Corps' status post-Blackest Night) is complete, they'd largely just be a subservient part of Sinestro's anti-GL terrorist actions. Unless their planet had something that would make it exploitable, it's unlikely they'd care much about returning to it.

For the Green Lanterns, their training on Oa would likely teach them quite a bit, and they could wind up trying to rapidly improve their homeworld, depending on the individual who was chosen. Also depending on the Guardians' rules about such things - they can be rather dickish about some things, and it wouldn't surprise me if they had some sort of rule pertaining to not intervening in the natural growth of particularly primitive species.

For the Blue Lanterns, it's unlikely they'd select an individual from such a planet. Each new Blue Lantern is hand-picked by the last one recruited, has their duty should they accept the ring explained to them at length on Odym (originally by Ganthet and Sayd, probably by the other Blue Lanterns since those two have gone to other things after Blackest Night), and then must accept or reject the ring once they fully understand what is being asked of them. It's unlikely that the Blue Lanterns would try to recruit from a species too primitive to fully understand their philosophies. Perhaps from a world that was primitive but developing, like say one with a population about as advanced ancient Greece in reality, in which case the chosen Lantern may try to aid his people in advancing more rapidly; but he may be just as likely to simply stick to providing spiritual guidance, as that's more in line with the Blue Lantern MO.

For the Star Sapphires, hard to say. Their rings seek out those with great loss in their heart, filling the void left in their bearers' hearts by the loss of a loved one and tasking them with protecting true love throughout their sector. It's possible one might select a candidate from a primitive world, but it's very hard to say how that candidate would react. This is especially true since the violet rings exert great influence over their bearers, much like the red rings - a Star Sapphire from a primitive world may become too obsessed with their new task to worry too much about anything else they could do to help their homeworld. On the other hand, perhaps their love for their homeworld might lead them to try to uplift their kind. Again, it would depend on the individual.

Zevox

graymachine
2011-11-25, 07:00 PM
Fair points, all. I was simply watching the new Conan movie after reading a bunch of GL trades and had the amusing thought of the sector's GL showing up to put a stop to things as the Big Bad threatened the entire world (not that these two universes are connected. That kinda lead me to the idea of building a campaign world for D&D around a native being selected by one of the corps and setting up a massive empire in the flavor of that particular Corp. Seemed like a cool idea, so I was curious for some discussion

Soras Teva Gee
2011-11-25, 07:44 PM
Granting some unusual reason that a ring bearer would end up back on their primitive world then there are really only a couple of results:

Epic Demon or Sorcerer King or Archmage.

Basically depending on how benevolent the wielder is as they will be one of the most powerful forces on the planet. Though not necessarily unchallenged as magic is a definite force in the DCU and of course some planets will have various super-powered race and creatures aside from whatever the ring bearer has.

That said odds favor the ring wielder being either a great disaster, ruler of epic scale, or legendary magic hero on their world.

(Exception of course for Blue Lanterns who are still supposed to be basically powerless on their own right?)

Dr.Epic
2011-11-26, 03:06 PM
On the case of the Lantern corps rings, they look for a sapient mind that has the ability to overcome great fear; that is the only requirement. I figure that the Guardians view it as a self-correcting process, so what happens to a barbarian culture where one of their own is made a Lantern? Furthermore, the other corps, as the are, have no controlling agent such as the Guardians, so what happens when one of these primitives gets a ring from them, because they showed the capacity for great rage, or for great hope, or for etc?

They would overcome fear and be a Lantern.:smallconfused: If the only thing they're looking for is the ability to overcome fear, then why wouldn't it fall into the hands of a being that can overcome fear? Either the barbarian race could overcome fear or why would a member of the race be chosen?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-11-28, 11:53 AM
How does all of this relate to Dex-starr which was AFAIK a pretty normal (just very angry) housecat that got chosen by the red ring? I seem to recall the ring made him sentient somehow so would the other rings similarly enlighten their hosts? Isn't one of the green lanterns some kind of bacteria?

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-28, 12:08 PM
How does all of this relate to Dex-starr which was AFAIK a pretty normal (just very angry) housecat that got chosen by the red ring? I seem to recall the ring made him sentient somehow so would the other rings similarly enlighten their hosts? Isn't one of the green lanterns some kind of bacteria?
If I recall correctly, one of the Green Lanterns is a planet, so I wouldn't put it against them. :smalltongue:

graymachine
2011-11-28, 12:16 PM
Mogo is the name of planet Green Lantern, though he died recently. There is a sentient virus that is a Green Lantern too; Lanterns are selected from all the sentient life in the universe, so there are even weirder ones.

Dex-starr is a bit of an oddity since nothing I've seen of him indicates he is/was sentient, which is the first thing a Lantern of any color needs to be. To be fair the sentience of any Red Lantern is questionable, but they all started as such, at least.

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-28, 12:18 PM
I'm waiting for the spinoff comic featuring Mogo the green lantern planet vs Dex-Starr the Red Lantern Housecat.

That would be worth picking up.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-28, 12:26 PM
A bit of poking around (all the comic book wikis just copy off each other, apparently) indicates that Dex-Starr is at least somewhat sapient; one site says his dialogue is depicted in the same short, choppy phrases as Krypto the Super-Dog, so they may be on the same level of sapience.

graymachine
2011-11-28, 12:51 PM
Assuming Mogo somehow comes back to life, it would be a pretty short fight. Mogo is the mightiest of the Green Lanterns and Dex-starr isn't very impressive as a Red Lantern; he's more of a gimmick.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-28, 01:31 PM
What if we make it a 'buddy-cop' team-up adventure instead?

"One is a planet with phenomenal willpower. The other is a blue housecat driven by rage and seeking revenge. They Fight (universal) Crime (http://www.theyfightcrime.org)."

graymachine
2011-11-28, 02:36 PM
I think we have an Oscar winner on our hands..

Rae Artemi
2011-11-28, 04:53 PM
Isn't one of the green lanterns some kind of bacteria?

Leezle Pon (http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Leezle_Pon), superintelligent smallpox virus. There are also guys like Bzzd (http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Bzzd) the hornet, Dkrtzy RRR (http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Dkrtzy_RRR) the math equation, and, my personal favorite, B'ox (http://www.comicvine.com/box/29-61349/) the giant sentient brick.

So yeah, as others have said, judging by some of the existing members of the various corps, a ring going to just an underdeveloped world shouldn't be that much of a problem, if it is one at all.

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-28, 04:56 PM
What if we make it a 'buddy-cop' team-up adventure instead?

"One is a planet with phenomenal willpower. The other is a blue housecat driven by rage and seeking revenge. They Fight (universal) Crime (http://www.theyfightcrime.org)."

Ok, that idea is great.
So is that website. I clicked and received;

He's a world-famous soccer-playing astronaut who must take medication to keep him sane. She's a sharp-shooting gold-digging politician who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!
I would totally watch that. Though it sounds like it should be a Goldie Hawn movie, or in the mold of Romancing the Stone.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-28, 10:10 PM
Dkrtzy RRR (http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Dkrtzy_RRR) the math equation
Congratulations. You have broken my brain.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-11-28, 10:33 PM
Congratulations. You have broken my brain.

Thank Alan Moore.

Which now that I've said that should get an "oh of course" reaction. Truly infinite are the turns of the beard of beards.

Now all we need is Rot Lop Fan (http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Rot_Lop_Fan) of the F-Sharp Bell Corps

Tiki Snakes
2011-11-29, 02:09 AM
DC really do seem to have a weird obsession with two things.
Gorillas and Equations.

Clearly, the ultimate DC mega-plot will feature Dkrtzy RRR trying to stop Gorilla Grodd using the Anti-Life equation to turn turn all sentient life in the galaxy into a race of floaty, psionic Gorilla-Equation hybrids.

KingofMadCows
2011-11-29, 10:48 AM
DC is also obsessed with ruining their characters, Cassandra Cain, Superboy Prime, Jason Todd, Hal Jordon, Bette Kane, Supergirl, etc.

TheEmerged
2011-11-29, 11:00 AM
Thank Alan Moore...

...for writing one of the three or four best Green Lantern Corp stories ever. That same story was the origin of Mogo and two or three other "weird Lanterns".

Dr.Epic
2011-11-29, 11:33 AM
I think we have an Oscar winner on our hands..

In the same way Howard the Duck was an Oscar winner?

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-29, 01:07 PM
Thank Alan Moore.

Which now that I've said that should get an "oh of course" reaction.
Actually, I don't read comic books, so that gives me a "Who?" reaction. Until a year or two ago, all I knew about the $foo Lanterns came from the Superfriends cartoon, and a little bit from Batman Brave and the Bold. I mean, I could process all these other colors coming up as just universe expansion, and I guess it's kind of interesting to give cats, planets, and bacteria rings, but at least those things could conceivably wear rings, which is like the whole dang point of the super power.

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out how to react to this, but all I can come up with is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Soras Teva Gee
2011-11-29, 01:20 PM
Actually, I don't read comic books, so that gives me a "Who?" reaction. Until a year or two ago, all I knew about the $foo Lanterns came from the Superfriends cartoon, and a little bit from Batman Brave and the Bold. I mean, I could process all these other colors coming up as just universe expansion, and I guess it's kind of interesting to give cats, planets, and bacteria rings, but at least those things could conceivably wear rings, which is like the whole dang point of the super power.

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out how to react to this, but all I can come up with is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Does Watchmen ring any bells?

V for Vendetta? League of Extraordinary Gentleman? From Hell? Swamp Thing? Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow?

To any and more of the above the answer is... Alan Moore. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlanMoore) If you don't have an afternoon to spend you could also check out Alan Moore as written by Neil Gaiman here (http://pics.livejournal.com/ulf_boehnke/pic/001pf3w2) and here (http://pics.livejournal.com/ulf_boehnke/pic/001pgqx9)

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-29, 01:39 PM
Does Watchmen ring any bells?
Nope.

V for Vendetta? League of Extraordinary Gentleman? From Hell? Swamp Thing? Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow?
In order, "What?", "Never heard of it," "Well lots of things come from Hell, can you be more specific?" "Okay, I know he had an 80's cartoon but I think I was watching something else at the time (and also Bushroot could probably kick his butt)," and "I presume he became the man of yesterday."

comicshorse
2011-11-29, 01:57 PM
Actually, I don't read comic books,

Or go to the cinema very often apparently