PDA

View Full Version : Playing d&d over iphone or similar device?

agumathebear
2011-11-25, 04:42 PM
hey all, not sure if this is where this goes but I usually do dnd over msn or something similar and i do not have an iphone so i don't know anything about mobile devices (im using a phone that has a number pad...thats it lol) and i was just curious if there was a way for my group to add him via iphone. We've tried msn but when he joins the group chat all he can see is my texts and for some reason when anyone else says anything he can't see it.

I was thinking maybe skype or some other program?

I'm also wondering if there is a FREE program that allows for multiple webcams (up to about 10) so far all i can find is stuff like oovoo that charges you.

Thanks much!

agumathebear
2011-11-27, 01:32 PM
I suppose I'll take the silence as a big fat no.

Psyren
2011-12-01, 08:46 AM
This board is pretty low-traffic; since you're asking about D&D in particular rather than iphones in general, I'd repost your question in Roleplaying Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) or one of the subforums depending on which edition you're trying to play and many more people will see it. (or PM a mod and ask them to move it for you, but since no discussion has started in this one it shouldn't be a problem reposting.)

Balain
2011-12-07, 08:46 PM
If you all are on google+ that might work for you.

hookbill
2011-12-15, 03:23 PM
not sure if these will work but I collected some software programs and some text on how to do it (I was going to do this a while back) credit goes to someone here (found on the info here on a thread or two)

------------------------------------

Vassal
OpenRPG
Maptools/Gametable
screenmonkey
Ventrilo

For maps, we use Google docs. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS WITH CAPITAL LETTERS. My DM made a spreadsheet document for character sheets, so he can take a look at your sheet while you update it live. (Our spreadsheet has formulas built in for adding bonuses, which is also convenient.) Maps of towns and such he will scan, or draw them with the Google drawing application. The niftiest thing is the game board. He scans the dungeon map and uses that as a background in the drawing application, and we place little circles with our initials as game tokens. You can move them around in real time and draw out areas of effect an such.

----------------------------------------------------